FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

 

PAGE FOUR
1915 - 98
A to Z
quick jump

Age
Amicus
Bass Reefer
Bedford Earl
Bellerby
Biloela
Cedarpool
Culross
Culter
Doris
Elisavet
Ellaroo
Firby
Garryvale
George M Embiricos
Grelwin
Gryfevale
Guatemala
Heronspool
Honduras
Illisos
Iron Chief (1)
Iron Chief (11)
Iron Crown
Kenilworth
King Alfred
King James
Levenpool
Moraybank
MRS Pioneer
Mundoora
Olga Topic
Olimpia
Omana
Pine Hill
Racina
Rio Doro
Riseley
Royal William
Saint Gregory
Spero
Sterling Victory
Swanbrook
Swanhill
Swanriver
Swanstream
Swanvalley
Westborough
Zvir

Fleet lists
Home

FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA
AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES


IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA

OF


B H P
SHIPPING


PAGE FOUR
1915 - 98


VESSELS MANAGED, CHARTERED & or OPERATED

on behalf of various interests

By no means complete!



PAGE 1
1915-61
PAGE 2
1961-81

PAGE 3
1981-2007

Pages 2 & 3 under construction!


HOUSE FLAGS
Ed Ed Ed
pre 1985 1985-93 1994



Ed
FUNNEL
pre 1985






CHARTERED VESSELS
although many vessels were chartered and given the prefix 'Iron' some retained their original name especially when under short term arrangements
Ed Ed Ed
IRON CHIEF (1)
1916-28
IRON CROWN
1923-42
IRON CHIEF (11)
1930-
IRON CHIEF (1) image courtesy of State Library New South Wales
IRON CROWN & IRON CHIEF (11) images personal collection
IRON CHIEF (1) 2,686 tons. Built Great Britain, 1916; reg. Sydney, 1921. Length 312 ft. Under full ownership of W Scott Fell however worked all her career on BHP trades and carried the Iron prefix so must be mentioned here. Lost ashore at Crowdy Head, near Diamond Head, NSW, 1 April 1928
IRON CROWN 3,353 gross tons. Laid down at Williamstown Dockyard, Victoria as the Euroa for Australian Government but transferred ownership during construction to William Scott Fell & Co. (later Interstate Steamships). Scott, Fell also managed BHP ships at the time, and this ship continued under charter to BHP, renamed Iron Crown, registered at Sydney. Torpedoed by Japanese submarine I. 24, near Gabo Island 4 June 1942. The vessel sank within minutes, taking thirty-seven of the crew, including her captain, to their deaths. Only five survivors
IRON CHIEF (11) 4,560 gross tons. Built by Wm. Doxford & Sons, Sunderland for Interstate Steamships Ltd (Scott Fell & Co., Sydney) as the Iron Chief. Immediately chartered to BHP. Sold 1934 to Essex Oak. 1935 purchased from Essex Oak by Ropner Shipping Co Ltd., and renamed Stagpool. Bareboat chartered by the Australian Shipping Board from 30th January 1948 until 6th July 1948. 1950 sold to Heron Steamship Co., London and renamed Granny Suzanne. 1954 sold to Costa Rica interests and renamed Carmen. 1956 sold to unknown, retained name. 1963 sunk in collision with the Sadikzade, with the loss of 2 lives


Ed Ed Ed Ed
MUNDOORA
1960-84
BELLERBY
1944-72
GARRYVALE
1942-65
AGE
1936-70
GARRYVALE image as the Broompark
AGE image courtesy Australian War Memorial
MUNDOORA 4,116 tons. 5002 dwt. Lbd: 340'10" x 52'7" x 22'1". Built by Evans, Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane for Adelaide Steamship Co. Single screw, diesel engine making 12.5 knots. Transferred to Associated Steamships January 1964. 25th January 1975 she was time chartered to BHP Shipping for 12 months. Laid up from February 1976 at Sydney until sold 24th May 1976 to Maldives Shipping and renamed Marina from 8th June. Foundered 14.35N/59.01E 9 September 1984
BELLERBY 7,071 gross tons. Built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool as the Empire Irving in 1944. Purchased 1946 and renamed by Ropner Shipping Co Ltd, England and owned from 1946 until 1960. Bareboat chartered by the Australian Shipping Board from 30th January 1948 until 30th July 1948. Bareboat chartered again from 16th May 1950 until 'unknown date' to Scott Fell Shipping Co., Sydney. Via Scott Fell was obviously contracted indirect charter to BHP. 1960 sold to Iranian Lloyd renamed Persian Cambyses, 1964 sold renamed Iranian Trader, 1964 renamed Shiraz, 1970 sold to Bahrain renamed Sayhet. 1972 scrapped at Gadani Beach
GARRYVALE 7173 gross tons, 10490 dwt' Lb: 134.4 x 17.1 metres. Steel, single screw cargo vessel built by Todd-Bath at Portland (East) as the Ocean Strength for Ministry of War Transport, Manchester. Triple expansion engine making 11 knots. 1947 owned by J.& J.Denholm renamed Broompark. 1951 sold to Andrew Crawford & Co Ltd renamed Garryvale. 1957 sold to Salvatores & Co renamed African Lady. Scrapped at Osaka January 1965
AGE (111) 4,734 tons. Lb: 88.3 x 11.6 metres. Steel single screw cargo vessel built by Hawthorn Leslie at Hebburn for Australian Steamships Pty Ltd (Howard Smith), Sydney. Time chartered by BHP July 1959 intially for 12 months. Subsequentially for a further four years, ultimately becoming nine years. 1968 sold to Collin Navigation Co., Panama renamed Collin Rose in 1969. Wrecked Paluan Bay, Mindoro 17th October 1970


Ed Ed Ed Ed
OMANA
1915-59
GRELWIN
WESTBOROUGH
1901-43
KENILWORTH
1918-59
WESTBOROUGH (gr001223) image courtesy State Library Victoria
OMANA (a638825r) & KENILWORTH (a637970r) images courtesy State Library New South Wales
OMANA 2523 gross tons. Lb: 92.4 x 14.1 metres. Steel steamship, cargo as built by Osbourne Graham, North Hylton for Omana S S Pty Co Ltd (R S Lamb), Sydney . Single screw, triple expansion engine making 9 knots. Mostly carried Limestone from Devonport to Newcastle. Chartered by BHP Shipping for single voyage 19 - 21st July 1917. 1930 taken over by Union Steamship Co., New Zealand with takeover of R S Lamb & Co. 1951 sold to E J Chandris and renamed Youla Chandris. 1953 sold to E A Karavias renamed Tassos. Scrapped at Perama July 1959
GRELWIN No details known. Possibly 'Grelwyn' as such a named vessel existed at one time under charter to Elder Dempster. Known as chartered via to Scott Fell Shipping Co., Sydney. August 1920 until February 1921. Fate unknown
WESTBOROUGH 3811 gross tons. Lb: 103.6 x 15.1 metres. Steel cargo only vessel as built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool as the Beechley for W R Rea, Belfast. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 8 knots. 1912 sold to Hopkins Jones & Co and renamed Westborough. Chartered (via to Scott Fell Shipping Co., Sydney) by BHP Shipping Ltd., Australia from September 1920 until March 1924. 1928 sold to Watson & Robertson and renamed Scottish Rover. 1930 sold to E Behnke and renamed Patria. Bombed by aircraft and sunk near Stavanger 4th April 1943
KENILWORTH 5457 gross tons. Lb: 131.1 x 16.8 metres. Steel steamship, single screw as built by Richardson Duck, Thornaby for Dalgliesh Steam Shipping Co Ltd, Newcastle, England. Triple expansion engine making 10.5 knots. Sub time chartered from the Commonwealth Government Shipping Control Board to BHP circa 1941 onwards. 1947 sold to Chinese MarineTrust and renamed Tien Hsing . 1953 under same owners renamed Hsiang Yung. Scrapping began at Kaohsiung March 1959


Ed Ed Ed Ed
ELLAROO
1921-60
RISELEY
1957-74
MORAYBANK
1945-69
RIO DORO
1944-63
ELLAROO image courtesy State Library New SOuth Wales
RIO DORO image seen here as the West Hill
ELLAROO 4747 gross tons, 2799 net. Lbd: 364'5" x 52'8" x 24'3". Steel steamship (cargo) built by J L Thompson & Sons Ltd., Sunderland as the Aslang Haugesund for John K Haalands Rederi, Haugsund Norway.1922 purchased by the Melbourne Steamship Co Ltd, Melbourne and renamed Ellaroo. 1936 chartered by BHP up to and including 1959 when purchased by Scott Fell Shipping Pty Ltd, name unchanged. 10 October 1959 time chartered by BHP for specific service run from Newcastle and Port Kembla to Melbourne and Adelaide with cargoes of limestone, dolomite and scrap metal as required. 1960 sold to Hai Ann Steam Ship Co Ltd., Hong Kong and scrapped at Hong Kong
RISELEY 6424 gross tons. Built by Swan Hunter, Low Walker for unknown. 1960 chartered by BHP on a 'single voyage' contract taking iron ore to Japan. 1967 renamed Gerania. 1973 renamed Natcrest. Sunk after a collision 48.40N/4.55W 16th June 1974
MORAYBANK 7307 gross tons. Lbd: 429' x 56'5" x 35'5". Cargo vessel built by William Doxford & Sons, Pallion for the Bank Line Ltd, Glasgow. 1960 chartered by BHP on a 'single voyage' contract taking iron ore to Japan. 1962 sold to Mullion & Co renamed Ardrowan. 1968 renamed Tetrarch. Scrapping at Hong Kong began 3rd December 1969
RIO DORO 7130 gross tons. Cargo vessel built by Marine Industries, Sorel as the Fort Musquarro for the Ministry of War Transport, London. 1950 of the Canadian Tramp Shipping and renamed West Hill. 1957 owned by Nestor Cia Nav renamed Rio Doro. 1960 chartered by BHP on a 'single voyage' contract taking iron ore to Japan. Broken up at Japan 1963


Ed
BILOELA
1920-40
image (a636502r) courtesy State Library New South Wales
BILOELA 5596 gross tons. Lb: 113.1 x 16.6 metres. Steel single screw collier built at Cockatoo Island Dockyard, Sydney New South Wales for the Royal Australian Navy. Designed as a steamship with triple expansion engine. Chartered to Interstate Steamships Pty Ltd for 6 months during 1921 for essential employment in the BHP trade. 1931 sold to J G Hvide renamed Wollert. 1932 sold to Norasiatic SS Co renamed Ivanhoe. 1937 sold to Muir Young renamed Cree. 1937 sold to Chung Hsing Steamship Co, renamed Yoh Hsing. Torpedoed by submarine 54.39N/18.50W 22nd November 1940


During World War 2 the Australian Commonwealth Government Shipping Control Board time chartered many vessels of countries in exile. A number of these vessels were in turn, sub-time chartered to BHP Australia for essential Australian trades


Ed Ed Ed Ed
ELISAVET
1922-65
DORIS
1917-49
ILLISOS
1915-53
GEORGE M EMBIRICOS
1921-59
ELISAVET image (303239) courtesy Australian War Memorial
DORIS image (a637254r) courtesy State Library New South Wales
ELISAVET 3553 gross tons, 6625 dwt. Lb: 113.9 x 15.3 metres. Steel single screw steamship, cargo as built by Burgerhout's, Rotterdam as the Elisabeth for A & C Mazarakis, Greece. Triple expansion engine making 9 knots. 1923 renamed Elisavet. During WW2 and incident in which a RAN DEMS gunner was involved in an armed stand off with the ship's master after the shooting of the Master's dog subsequent to being bitten by it in the backside. The DEMS gunners were later involved in a brawl with the ship's crew in Whyalla. They manned the 4 inch gun mounted aft and the 20 mm Oerlikon AA guns in the bridge wings. The situation eventually 'resolved' itself. The ship's services since unknown. Scrapped at Split, Yugoslavia October 1965
DORIS 5992 gross tons. Lb: 121.9 x 16.2 metres. Steel hulled, single screw steam ship, triple expansion engine making 10 knots. Built as the Eastern City by J L Thompson at North Sands for St Just S S Co Ltd (Reardon Smith), Bideford. Lloyds ID No: 1135963. 1933 under new unknown owners (Likely Greek) and renamed Doris. Exact service on Australian coast unknown. Was scrapped at Antwerp late 1949. Note: of the many vessels named Doris, and by researching all available exact named possiblities in that time frame, this particular vessel seems the most probable
ILLISOS 4724 gross tons. Lb: 117.4 x 15.9 metres. Cargo steamship built by Irvines Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co, Middleton West Hartlepool as the Derwent River for Houlder Bros, & Co. Registered Britain. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 9.5 knots. Renamed ILISSOS in 1933 when sold to Livanos Bros. Commencing 3rd October 1953 demolition began at Moji. Note of all vessels researched - this particular ship seems the most likely for the time frame
GEORGE M EMBIRICOS 5,728 gross tons. Lb: 134.6 x 17.2 metres. Built 1921 by Short Bros., Ltd., Pallion Sunderland for Messrs S G Embiricos Ltd. Vessel ID: 5605372 Single screw, triple expansion engine making 9.5 knots. Recorded as taking in Welsh ports during September 1922, and onward to Ellis Island New York with European immigrants. Owners second vessel to carry this name and, flying the Greek flag at this time of charter. Sank 4th March 1943 after a collision with the steamship Koonda in Port Phillip Bay Victoria when awaiting to join a convoy. Refloated, repaired and resumed service. Visited Auckland New Zealand 2 times between 19 January 1940 and 1 January 1945. Broken up at Singapore commencing 16 November 1959


Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
OLGA TOPIC
1918-50
RACINA
ZVIR
1926-42
HONDURAS
1915-53
GUATEMALA
1920-
OLGA TOPIC image as the Trevose (b42633) courtesy State Library Victoria, ZVIR image unknown online source (anything better than nothing considering image is mostly a silhoutte), HONDURAS image (303406) courtesy Australian War Memorial
OLGA TOPIC 5768 gross tons. Lb: 122.0 x 15.9 metres. Built by Readhead, South Shields as the Trevose for Hain Steamship Co Ltd., St Ives. Single screw, steamship, triple expansion making 10 knots. 1935 sold to A Topic, Yugoslavia flag and renamed Olga Topic. 1946 owned by Jugoslavenska Plov., renamed Kosmaj. Caught fire 3.40S/30.15W 25.2.50 & abandoned at Fortaleza April 1950
RACINA Of the Yugoslav flag. No ship's data known
ZVIR 5607 gross tons. Lbd: 390'1" x 54' x 29'6". (118.9 x 16.5m) Built by Clyde Shipbuilding Company Port Glasgow, for Prekomorska Plovidba DD Yugoslavia. Single screw steamer, triple expansion engine. Sank after colliding with the 4244 grt mv Skagerak about 100 miles south of Port Kembla 37.27S/150.17E 15th November 1942
HONDURAS 4524 gross tons. Lb:115.8 x 15.2 metres. Built by Priestman, at Southwick as the Malvern Range for Neptune S N Co Ltd (Furness, Withy), Liverpool. Sold 1922 Kaye Son & Co., renamed Kambole. Sold 1937 J A Billmeir & Co., renamed Stanthorpe. Sold 1938 to O E Bertin renamed Yolande Bertin. Sold 1941 Wallem & Co., Panama renamed Honduras. Sold 1947 E Hsiang SS Co., renamed Foo-Hsiang . Scrapped Osaka November 1953
GUATEMALA 5527 gross tons. Lb: 125.1 x 16.5 metres. Single screw, steel hulled steamship built by Atlantic Corp, Portsmouth, New Hampshire USA as the Brookline for the U S Government. Triple expansion engine making 10.5 knots. 1931 sold to O'Brien Bros Dredge renamed O'Brien Brothers. 1940 sold to Diana de Vapores renamed Valiente. 1941 sold to Wallem & Co., Panama renamed Guatemala. Sunk by submarine torpedo 33.40S/152.04E 11th June 1942


Post World War 2, owing to a shortage of tonnage, BHP time chartered a number of British owned and registered vessels for their Australian coastal services
Ed Ed Ed Ed
LEVENPOOL
1942-69
CEDARPOOL
1942-59
FIRBY
1942-66
HERONSPOOL
1942-67
FIRBY image seen here as the Ocean Fame
LEVENPOOL 7,030 gross tons. Built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool as the Empire Lionel for the Ministry of War Transport, London in 1942. 1942 MOWT, managed by E J Sutton & Co. Purchased 1945, renamed by Ropner Shipping Co Ltd, England (Sir R.Ropner & Co, West Hartlepool) and owned from 1945 until 1962. Bareboat chartered by the Australian Shipping Board from 10th September 1948 until November 1949. Bareboat chartered by BHP Shipping Ltd., Australia from 11th December 1951 until unknown date. Was still plying the Australian coast during 1953. 1962 sold to Trafalgar Steamship Co., London renamed Newlane. 1968 Kantara Shipping Co, Cyprus. 1969 Newlane Shipping Co, Limassol. 1969 scrapped
CEDARPOOL 7,031 gross tons. Built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool as the Empire Clarion for the Ministry of War Transport, London in 1942. Purchased 1945 and renamed by Ropner Shipping Co Ltd, England and owned from 1946 until 1959. Bareboat chartered by the Australian Shipping Board from 21st December 1948 until unknown date. Bareboat chartered by BHP Shipping Ltd., Australia from 11th December 1951 until unknown date. Was still plying the Australian coast up until 1955. Scrapped at Hamburg July 1959
FIRBY P61 7174 gross tons, 10,490 deadweight. Lb: 134.4 x 17.1 metres. Steel hulled, single screw steamship of triple expansion engine maling 11 knots. Built by Todd-Bath at Portland USA as the Ocean Fame for the Ministry of War Transport, Manchester England. Cargo only. 1947 of the Ropner Shipping Co and renamed Firby. 1955 sold to N.G.Kyriakides and renamed Irene K. 1964 renamed Winchester Queen under same owner. Scrapped at Bilboa late November 1966
HERONSPOOL 7174 gross tons, 10490 deadweight. Lb: 134.4 x 17.1 metres. Cargo vessel built by Todd California Iron S.B. Corp., Richmond USA as the Ocean Valour for Ministry of War Transport, Southampton. Single screw steel hulled steamship, triple expansion engine making 11 knots. 1949 owned by Ropner Shipping Co and renamed Heronspool. 1955 sold to A Lauro and renamed Liana. Demolition began at La Spezia commencing 25 February 1967


Ed Ed Ed Ed
CULROSS
1946-68
AMICUS
PINE HILL
CULTER
images wanted
CULROSS 7331 gross tons. on1169207. Launched 20 November 1945 as the Empire Antigua at the yard of Shipbuilding Corp, Tyne, Low Walker for the Ministry of War Transport, Newcastle England. Completed February 1946 as a single screw steamship, triple expansion engine. Cargo only. 1946 owned by C Salvesen & Co. and renamed Culross. 1960 renamed Akastos for Aegis Shipping Co. 1967 reanmed Marina as owned by I Chiotakis. Broken up at Hamburg August 1968
AMICUS 7125 gross tons. Lb: 433 x 56 feet. Cargo steamship. Launched 13 November 1943, completed (Yard No: 827) January 1944 by Vickers-Armstrongs, Barrow as the Empire Noble for Ministry of War Transport, Barrow. on1169037. 1946 renamed Amicus. 1963 renamed Leela. 1964 renamed Pacific Fir. Wrecked 22.05N/121.50E 6 February 1968
PINE HILL Dominion type, 2,960 gross tons. Lb: 315'5" x 46'5". on1169718. Cargo steamship completed 18 November 1943 by United Shipyards, Montreal as the Fort Henley for Ministry of War Transport, London. Managed by Sir R. Ropner & Co. 1946 Ministry of Transport (mangers Ropner Shipping Co), London. 1950 renamed Pine Hill as owned by Halifax Overseas Freighters Ltd (Counties Ship Management), London. 1964 renamed Newmoat as owned by Trafalgar SS Co (Tsavliris Shipping Ltd), London. Broken up at La Spezia commencing 13 June 1969
CULTER 7030 gross tons. Lb: 431 x 56 feet. (136.2 x 17.2 metres) on5382037. Cargo steamship launched 19 September 1941, completed December 1941 as the Empire Rhodes by Caledon, Dundee for Ministry of War Transport, Dundee. 1941 managed by Headlam & Son. 1943 MOWT managed by Sir W Reardon Smith & Sons. 1947 renamed Culter for South Georgia Co.(Chr.Salvesen, Leith) . 1959 renamed Virginia Ipar for Ipar Transport Co, Istanbul. 1963 Laid up at Istanbul. 1970 scrapped Balat, Istanbul commencing 18 September 1970


1953-54
saw more charters for 'single voyage' status only. Initially the vessels loaded at Yampi Sound, Western Australia taking iron ore to Port Kembla, New South Wales. From there they were laden with a cargo of pig iron destined for various overseas destinations
Ed Ed Ed Ed
GRYFEVALE
1945-68
KING JAMES
1943-67
ROYAL WILLIAM
1943-62
SPERO
1950-73
GRYFEVALE image seen here as the CROWBOROUGH HILL, ROYAL WILLIAM image as FORT WRIGLEY
GRYFEVALE 7321 gross tons. Lb: 431' x 56'. Built as the Empire Tobago by Bartram at South Dock for the Ministry of War Transport, Sunderland. Managed by Sir J German & Son Ltd. 1946 remaining under MOWT whilst managed by Counties Ship Management. 1947 renamed Crowborough Hill, as owned by Counties Ship Management Ltd, London. 1951 renamed Gryfevale, Andrew Crawford & Co. 1954 Buchanan Shipping Co.Ltd. 1955 renamed Sterling Valour, Sterling Shipping Co, Nassau. 1958 renamed Madda Primo, for L G E Fratelli Bozzo di Giuseppe, Genoa. 1958 renamed Madda Bozzo, same owner. 1963 renamed Kriss by Seastar Shipping Corp, Somali flag. February 1968 Scrapped Kaohsiung Taiwan
KING JAMES 7,067 gross tons. Lb: 431 x 56'. Steel hulled cargo vessel built by Short Bros at Pallion for the Ministry of War Transport, Sunderland as the Empire Duchess. managed by H.Hogarth & Sons. 1946 MOWT managed by Union-Castle Mail Steamship Co. 1949 renamed Braemar Castle as owned by Union-Castle Mail Steamship Co. 1950 King James for King Line Ltd. 1958 renamed Tyne Breeze, Cambray Prince Steamship Co, Hong Kong. 1963 renamed Cathay Trader, for Cathay Trader Steamship Co, Hong Kong. 1964 renamed Pearl Light, for Pacific Pearl Nav Co, Hong Kong. 1966 renamed Habib Marikar, for Marikar Nav, & Agencies Ltd, Hong Kong. 3 November 1967 wrecked on reef on Lincoln Islands, 400m SSW of Hong Kong
ROYAL WILLIAM 7120 gross tons. Cargo vessel completed by Victoria MD at Victoria BC Canada 1st April 1943 as the Fort Wrigley for Ministry of War Transport, London. Managed by G. Nisbet & Co.1946 Ministry of Transport (Oakdene Shipping Co, managers), London. 1948 renamed Pantrooper for P & T Steamship Co, (Papachristidis Co), Montreal. 1950 renamed Royal William, same owner. 1954 owned by Asimarfield Shipping Corp, Monrovia. 1956 renamed Appulo for L'Italica di Navigazione, Genoa. June 1962 scrapped at Vado Ligure
SPERO 4750 gross tons, 8,800 deadweight. Lb: 129.4 x 17.4 metres. Steel hulled, single screw diesel engined vessel making 14.5 knots as built by Burntisland Shipbuilders, Burntisland for E B Aaby's Rederi A/S, Oslo. Sold 1965 to Kie Hock Shipping and renamed Tong Hock. Wrecked 18.09.48N/122.14.36E 2nd November 1973


Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
STERLING VICTORY
1941-70
OLIMPIA
1943-69
SAINT GREGORY
1942-67
BEDFORD EARL
1942-67
KING ALFRED
1941-63
Sterling Victory image as Empire Moon
STERLING VICTORY 7472 gross tons. Lb: 426' x 60'. (135.3 x 127.3 x 18.3 metres) Cargo vessel built as the Empire Moon by J LThompson, at North Sands for the Ministry of War Transport, Sunderland. Single screw, triple expansion steam engine = 10 knots. Sold 1949 renamed Ionian Moon of the Pandelis Shipping Co. 1953 renamed Sterling Victory as owned by A Vergottis. 1957 renamed Alma. 1957 of the Victoria Steamship Co. 1968 renamed Campos by existing owners, Victoria Steamship Co. Scrapping began at Shanghai 20 January 1970
OLIMPIA 7176 gross tons, 10,865 dwt. Lb: 126.8 x 17.3 etres. Cargo vessel, steamship built St John's River, Jacksonville as the Shaula for the US Government. Keel laid down 4 October 1943. Launched 23 November 1943, completed December that year. Ship Design: EC2-S-C1. Single screw. Triple expansion engine. 11 knots.1946 renamed James Screven. 1947 renamed Olimpia for owners unknown (Greek as likely). Broken up at Spezia January 1969
SAINT GREGORY 7030 gross tons. Lbd: 431' x 56'. Cargo vessel built at Caledon, Dundee as the Empire Heywood for the Ministry of War Transport, Dundee. 1942 managed by Hain Steam Ship Co, St Ives. 1944 (MOWT) and managed by Saint Line Ltd, London. 1947 renamed Saint Gregory when owned by The Saint Line. 1962 renamed Andros by Stuart Nav. Co (Bahamas) Ltd, Hong Kong. 1963 renamed Abiko under ownership of World-Wide Shipping (Escort Shipping Co, Hong Kong). 1965 owned by Pine Steamship Co, Hong Kong. Broken up at Hong Kong from 22 March 1967
BEDFORD EARL 7130 gross tons. Built at United Shipyards, Montreal for the Ministry of War Transport, London as Fort Covington. Dominion type, length 315.5 x beam 46.5ft. Managers - Counties Ship Management. 1946 MOT (Williams & Co), London. 1950 MOT (C Strubin & Co), London. 1950 renamed Bedford Earl for Bedford Overseas Freighters Ltd, London. (P D Marchessini & Co.) 1955 Calliroy Nav. Ltd, London. 28 September 1956 stranded on reef in Ryuku Islands in typhoon on voyage Tokyo - Port Campha, Vietnam. Toatally wrecked at Ie Shima 26 October 1956
KING ALFRED 6919 gross tons. Lb: 432' x 56'. (131.7 x 17.1 metres) Cargo steamship built at Greenock Dockyards, Cartsdyke East and completed June 1941 for Ministry of War Transport, Greenock. Managed by J Chambers, Liverpool. Single screw. Diesel engine. 1944 MOWT managed by King Line, London. 1945 renamed King Alfred, for the King Line, London. 16th March 1963 Scrapping began at Hamburg


December 1953 saw the Commonwealth Government direct five vessels of the Westralian Farmers Transport Ltd (WFT) be chartered to the Australian Shipping Board. At the time the five vessels, all London registered and under charter themselves to WFT, (although shipping 'records' state owned by WTF), were employed importing coal from India to Australia from 1951 during a chronic coal shortage of the era. By 1952 the coal situation had alleviated and, the vessels were gradually redeployed onto other services. Under acquired charter to the ASB they were then chartered to BHP and employed in ore transportation
Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
SWANBROOK
1937-70
SWANHILL
1936-69
SWANRIVER
1929-71
SWANSTREAM
1936-67
SWANVALLEY
1935-67
SWANBROOK image (A1200, L15579) courtesy National Archives of Australia
SWANHILL image as Stankeld via online source
SWANRIVER (28020r), SWANSTREAM (27760r) & SWANVALLEY (27654r) images courtesy State Library New South Wales
SWANBROOK 4944 gross tons. Lb: 127.5 x 16.8 metres. Steel, single screw diesel engine vessel making 11 knots. Built by Barclay Curle & Co., Whiteinch and completed as the cargo only vessel, Dunkeld for Lomond Shipping Co Ltd (Dunlop), Glasgow. 1945 Stankeld owned by J A Billmeir & Co. 1951 renamed Swanbrook - owned by Westralian Farmers Transport Ltd. Chartered from 1954 until 1957. 1957 renamed Sydney Breeze under J Manners & Co., Hong Kong. 1964 renamed San Ernesto under J.Manners & Co - 1966 Cathay Trader under Cathay Trader SS Co - 1968 Renown Trader as owned by Soo E Loh. Scrapped at Hong Kong commencing 8 January 1970
SWANHILL 4933 gross tons. Lb: 127.5 x 16.8 metres. Steel, single screw diesel engine vessel making 11 knots. Built by Barclay Curle & Co., Whiteinch and completed as the cargo only vessel, Queen Adelaide for Queen Line Ltd (Dunlop), Glasgow. 1945 renamed Stankeld owned by J A Billmeir & Co. 1951 renamed Swanhill when owned by Westralian Farmers Transport Ltd. Chartered from 1954 until 1957. 1957 renamed London Breeze under J Manners & Co., Hong Kong. 1962 renamed Dairen under J Manners & Co - 1965 renamed Agate under T Engan. 1967 renamed Yu Lee as owned by Yusang Shipping Co. Broken up Kaohsiung commencing 21 March 1969
SWANRIVER Chartered from 1953 until 1957. 5207 gross tons. Lb: 128.4 x 16.5 metres. Steel, single screw steamship, coal fired triple expansion engine making 9 knots. Cargo vessel built by Gray at West Hartlepool as the Dunelmia for Metcalfe Son & Co. 1951 renamed Swanriver - as owned by Westralian Farmers Transport Ltd. Chartered from 1954 until 1957. 19 May 1955 ran aground on a mudbank at Newcastle Harbour (as seen in image) 1955 Nido under Fletamar. Broken up at Burriana commencing 14 January 1971
SWANSTREAM 4982 gross tons. Lb: 129.1 x 16.5 metres. Steel, single screw diesel engine vessel making 10 knots. Built by Doxford, Pallion as the cargo only vessel, Peebles for B J Sutherland & Co Ltd, Newcastle, UK. Survived an aircraft attack which damaged her on 20 August 1940. 1951 purchased by Westralian Farmers Transport Ltd, London. Chartered to ASB 1953 until 1957, sub-chartered to BHP from 1954 until 1957. Sold 1957 and renamed San Fernando under J Manners & Co., Hong Kong. 1965 renamed Phoenician Star under Yong & Lee Timber. Broken up at Hong Kong March 1967
SWANVALLEY 4970 gross tons. Lb: 125.6 x 16.5 metres. Steel, single screw diesel engine vessel making 10.5 knots. Built by Doxford, Pallion UK as the cargo vessel Caithness for B J Sutherland & Co Ltd, Newcastle.1951 renamed Swanvalley as owned by Westralian Farmers Transport Ltd. Chartered from 1954 until 1956. 27 September 1954 ran aground at Newcastle Harbour. 1956 Incharran under Williamson & Co . 1966 renamed Star of Victoria under Yong & Lee Timber . foundered 26.59N/123.09E 17.1.67
Chartered from 1953 until 1955


MANAGED VESSELS
Ed Ed Ed
BASS REEFER
1978-2003
MRS PIONEER
1996-
Image online sources
BASS REEFER 2,414 gross tons, 668 net, 2,745 deadweight. Lbd: 99.52 x 17.84 x 5.77 metres. Cargo carrier as completed by Ube Dockyard Co Ltd., Osaka Japan for Dillingham Australia Pty Ltd (john Burke Shipping), Brisbane as the Sid Mcgrath. Machinery 2 x eight cylinder 4SA oil engines. Service speed of 16.25 knots and 18 crew. 1988 transferred to Coral Sea Shipping Pty Ltd., Papua New Guinea with registry at Port Moresby. August 1989 known to have serviced Townsville - Brisbane. 26th November 1989 laid up at Brisbane. December 1989 receivers appointed to John Burke Ltd. 6th September 1990 acquired by Bass Express Ships Ltd (Sea Containers Ltd., Bermuda), with Linerbulk Shipping Pty Ltd., Melbourne acting as agents. She was renamed Bass Reefer and registered at Geelong, Victoria. BHP Transport Ltd appointed managers same year. Refitted at Brisbane and on 30th September 1990 entered service between Geelong and Stanley, Tasmania. 1991 owners named changed to Bass Reefer Pty Ltd. 31st January 1992 Howard Smith Industries Pty Ltd appointed as managers until July 1992. September 1992 owners became Boxer 2 Ltd., Bermuda (Sea Containers Ltd) with vessel registered at Nassau, Bahamas. 1997 renamed Coral Trader. Deleted from register 2003/4
MRS PIONEER 7,094 gross tons, 22,288 dwt. Lb: 168.82 x 23.11 metres. Bulk carrier built as the MRS Pioneer by Frisian Welgelegen at Harlingen. Joint BHP Management/McKay Sugar Company. Australian flagged BIBO (bulk in, bag out) ship transporting refined sugar on the Australian coast and internationally. This vessel is one of very few of its type in the world. Sugar loaded in bulk and bagged on voyage. MRS standing for 'McKay Sugar Refinery". 1999 renamed Pioneer under the auspices of Sugar Australia. Still in service


IN THE MODERN ERA 2009
for the moment they only control 3 bulk carriers as far as I am aware. (Iron Yandi, Pacific Triangle, Lowlands Prosperity). There is the Iron Monarch a ro/ro vessel, I would think fully owned by BHP, however, managed by Teekay Shipping. The Iron Chieftain, a bulk carrier, also owned by BHP (I think) but fully managed by CSL. Further BHP Billiton also has a stake in the FPSO's stationed on the N-W Shelf.



TOP of PAGE HOME!


2007-12 ŠJohn E Hoskin/Flotilla-Australia
All Rights Reserved