FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

Ed Ed Ed

AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES

IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA

OF





ADELAIDE STEAMSHIP
Ed

COMPANY LIMITED

Formed in September 1875 in Adelaide, South Australia, by a group of pastoralists and businessmen some whom already had steamship interests in the Spencer Gulf, namely Federal Wharf Co. Ltd, Port Adelaide Dredging Company Ltd and Spencer Gulf Shipping Co. Ltd and incorporated on 8th October 1875.
Its promoters included Andrew Tennant, Robert Barr-Smith and Thomas Elder of Elder Smith & Co Ltd. In July 1876 the company’s leading promoters amalgamated their private ship-owning interests to form the Spencer’s Gulf Steamship Co Ltd, trading in SA coastal waters. The two companies amalgamated in December 1882. Adelaide Steamship Co was liquidated and reconstructed twice for more efficient and profitable operation, first in 1900 and subsequently in 1920. On 20 January 1915 they took over Coast Steamships Limited, and kept it running as a subsidiary that retained its own identity until 1968. During the 1940s this concern experienced a decline in trade and began to acquire interests in other companies and projects. On 1 Jan 1964 its interstate fleet was merged with that of McIlwraith McEacharn Ltd in a new company, Associated Steamships Ltd in which Adelaide Steamship Co held 40%. Bulkships Ltd in which Adelaide Steamship held a 40% interest in 1965, acquired all the shares in Associated Steamship Ltd in 1968. In 1977 the company’s interest in Bulkships was disposed of, and Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd ceased its connection with ship owning and operating.


Ed
HOUSE FLAG


Ed
FUNNEL


Ed
ADELAIDE
1883-1931
ADELAIDE 1,711 gross tons, 917 net. Lbd: 280' x 33'2" x 17'6". Iron Steamship built by D & W Henderson, Glasgow. Held a compounded engine producing 276 nhp with coal fired boilers. Designed as a passenger vessel for the Adelaide Steamship Co's Adelaide - Melbourne service, accomodating 302. Serviced most ports of call on and around Australia. Laid up 1899. 1906 sold to Birt & Co., Sydney , as likely acting as agents, and transferred to Russian registry under ownership of Ellvanger Bros., Vladivostok 1908 renamed Adelaida. Won on a bet in a horse race in 1911 to Kuznetsov Bros., Vladivostok. 1915 renamed Shiten Maru. 1916 of British ownership registered at Hong Kong and renamed Castlefield. 1919 renamed Ralph Moller. 1920 saw new engine installed. 1925 of Chinese ownership and renamed Ho Fung and finally, in 1926 renamed Hwah Yang. April 21st 1931 wrecked at Saddle Island South China seas


Ed
ALBANY
1862-1905
image courtesy State Library Victoria
ALBANY 668 gross tons, 530 net. Lbd: 200'2" x 28'2" x 16'5". Square rigged on the foremast and fore and aft on her main and mizzen, clipper bow. Carried 76 passengers. Named the Claud Hamilton, a passenger ship as built by Charles Mitchell & Co., Tyne England for the Intercontinental Royal Mail Steam Packet Company of London, who changed name 1866 to Panama, New Zealand & Australian Royal Mail Steam Packet Co. Acquired by McMeckan, Blackwood & Co., Melbourne April 1869. On a voyage across the Tasman Sea a huge sea washed the captain’s cabin, with Captain Rowse inside overboard. He was not found. 1880 owned by Nipper & See. December 1881 Adelaide Steamship Co and eventually renamed Albany after a rebuild (she was lengthened and given a straight stem) during early 1886. Her dimensions bacame 231'3" x 28'4" x 16'5" with gross tonnage to 878. Wrecked off Nambucca Heads New South Wales on March 28th, 1905 whilst under charter to AUSN Co


ALDINGA (1)
1860-96
Ed Ed Ed Ed
art Gregory art Port Adelaide Queensland view
ALDINGA (1) 1st & 4th images courtesy of State Library Queensland
3rd image courtesy State Library South Australia
ALDINGA (1). 423 gross tons, 291 net. Iron steamship, 2 funnels and rigged as a 3 masted barque. Built 1860 by Scott of Greenoch for McMeckan, Blackwood & Co in partnership with S White of Aldinga, Adelaide and J Darwent also of Adelaide. Modified 1862 Lbd: 202'6" x 24'6" x 13'4" with tonnage increased to 446 gross. Worked the Tasman run and Otago. 1871 fully owned by McMeckan, Blackwood & Co. Altered during 1887 with with passenger accomodation removed as well as one funnel and and two masts. Sold August 1877 to Adelaide Steamship Co. Laid up until 1883 then placed on collier run when purchased by E Vickery who traded as the Mount Kembla Coal Co., of Sydney. Wrecked Bellambi reef January 23rd 1896


Ed Ed Ed
ALDINGA (11)
1921-51
ALDINGA (11) 1st image courtesy State Library New South Wales
2nd image courtesy State Library South Australia
3rd image courtesy State Library Victoria
ALDINGA (2). 3,078 gross tons. Lbd: 331'1" x 46'7" x 23'1". Triple expansion steam engine, 10 knots on 27 tons of coal per day. Cargo vessel laid down as the War Cloud and completed as the Glenstal by Dublin Dockyard Co. for the Limerick S S Co Ltd. Launched 19 February 1920, ran trials 13 May 1920. 1921 bought by Adelaide Steamship Co and renamed Aldinga. 1951 sold to South African owners and renamed Natal Coast. 30 April 1955 aground in fog off Walvis Bay with a cargo of timber and palm oil. Total loss (Aldinga- Aboriginal word for 'tree district' and/or 'hunting ground')


Ed Ed
ALLARA
1924-53
ALLINGA
1897-1935
ALLARA image courtesy State Library Victoria
ALLARA 3,279 gross tons, 1,969 net. Lbd: 340'5" x 47'2" x 23'2". Built by W Beardmore & Co Dalmuir, Glasgow for this concern and registered at Sydney. Cargo vessel that also served as a collier from Newcastle New South Wales to Port Adelaide. Survived torpedo attack 1942 with loss of five crew. May 1952 sold to Greek interests renamed Sanetlena. Broken up at Rosyth 1953 (Allara- Aboriginal word for 'Day or Dawn')
ALLINGA 2,242 gross tons, 1,406 net. Lbd: 279'7' x 42'5" x 13'. Steel twin screw steamship built by Scott & Co., Greenock for the Adelaide Steamship Co in replacing the Victorian on the coastal routes. Held twin triple expansion engines producing 272 nhp. Could carry 45 passengers plus 60 steerage. Worked the Queensland coast for much of her career, being nicknamed the 'Lingerer' because of her low speed. Also serviced the South Australian ports. Laid up 1919, sold early 1920 to unknown owners and renamed Lorestan. Renamed again in 1925 to Tai Fook Sing. Scrapped at Shanghai in 1935. (Allinga is a 'local aboriginal" ie South Australian tribal word for 'the sun')


Ed Ed Ed
AGNES
1880-1922
ARKABA
1924-59
AROONA
1921-55
AGNES image courtesy State Library Victoria
AGNES 78 gross tons, 53 net. Lbd: 87'6" x 20'8" x 5'7". Wooden Steamship built and registered Brisbane 1884 in the name of George Blonde & Joseph McGee. Various unknown owners since until 1907 when acquired by this company. Either 1915 or 1918 sold to A. Jackson of Bunbury then A E Brown shipbuilder Fremantle. No records since 1922
ARKABA 4,214 tons, 2,593 net. Lbd: 341'6" x 47'2" x 30'3". Built by W Beardmore & Co., Dalmuir Glasgow. Cargo vessel launched as Arcoona and renamed when arrived upon the Australian shores. February 1952 stranded on a reef off Port Lincoln South Australia and abandoned to underwriters. 1953 arrived under tow at Hong Kong where she was refitted and sold 1954 to the South Australian flour merchant, William Charlick and renamed William Charlick 1V. She then serviced under the auspices of Charlick's Hong Kong sudsidiary. Scrapped in Hong Kong 1959 (Arkaba- Aboriginal word for 'underground waters')
AROONA 3,116 gross tons, 1,863 net. Lbd: 331' x 46'8" x 23'2". Cargo vessel built by W Beardmore & Co., Dalmuir Glasgow as the War Typhoon for Sir Raylton Dixon & Co Middlesborough. 1921 renamed Cape of Good Hope. Acquired 1921 by Adelaide Steamship Co., and renamed Aroona. Sold 1949 to unkown owners and renamed Colon. 1950 sold again renamed Meko. Scrapped at Hong Kong 1955 (Aroona- Aboriginal word for 'flowing water')


Ed
BAROSSA
1938-1963
image courtesy of State Library Queensland


Ed Ed Ed Ed
BALDINA
1918-44
BAROOTA
1952-70
BAROSSA
1938-1969
BARRIER
1889-1934
BAROOTA & BAROSSA images courtesy State Library Victoria
BALDINA 4,333 gross tons, 2,591 net. Lbd: 380'6" x 49'2" x 26'7". Steel steamship built Canadian Vickers Ltd., Montreal as the War Duchess. Acquired 1919 and used as a cargo vessel. April 1934 sold renamed Yung Hwa. 1938 renamed Tensin Maru. Torpedoed by U.S. submarine Icefish October 24th 1944 off China coast
BAROOTA 4,070 gross tons, 2,043 net. Lbd: 403'4" x 53'2" x 22'7". General cargo design steamship built at the Broken Hill Proprietary Ltd, shipyard at Whyalla for the Australian Shipping Board. Her original name was to be Benarson however she was sold on the stocks during early construction in 1950 to this concern and launched as the Baroota during May 1951. Completed February 1952 with Australian Government as registered owner, and re-registered soon after in Adelaide Steamship Company's name. Apart from an internal company transferral to their Operations division in March 1961, she was sold May 1961 to South Breeze Navigation Co Ltd., Hong Kong and renamed Adelaide Breeze. August 1961 converted to burn oil as fuel. 1964 transferred to Panama registry being renamed Antonio Regidor. September 1966 sold to Jeep Fatt Shipping Co Ltd S.A. Panama renamed Jeep Lee. Scrapped Hong Kong early 1970 (Baroota- Aboriginal word for 'hunting place')
BAROSSA 4239 tons, 2,382 net. Lbd: 367'1" x 50'3" x 24'6". Cargo ship built for the company by Caledon at Dundee. Was heavily damaged in air raids on Darwin WW2. Transferred to Associated Steamships January 1964. Sold May 1964 renamed Cronulla. Damaged in a Typhoon and declared a total wreck. 1969 scrapping began Hong Kong
BARRIER 2,036 gross tons, 1,290 net. Lbd: 282' x 38' x 18'4". Built by S P Austin Sunderland for this company. Worked as a cargo vessel primarlly out of Port Pirie. Sold to C Crosby, Melbourne, and resold almost immediately to Japanese interests renamed Mogami Maru. Mid April 1934 destroyed by fire whilst transporting a cargo of kerosine


Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
BARUNGA
1918-44
BELTANA
1937-1963
BORDA
1951-74
BRINAWARR
1890-1918
BARUNGA image courtesy State Library New South Wales
BORDA colour photo & BRINAWARR image courtesy State Library Victoria
BELTANA image personal collection
BARUNGA 4,342 gross tons, 2,598 net. Lbd: 380' x 49'2" x 26'7". Triple expansion engine producing 474 nhp. Steel steamship, (cargo) built by Canadian Vickers Ltd., Montreal as the War Faith. Later (date unknown) renamed Cape Premier. Post WW1 came under Australian Government Line control. Acquired by Adelaide Steamship Co in January 1921 and renamed Barunga. Sold December 1934 renamed after further sale during 1935 as the Shing Ho. 1938 renamed Seizan Maru. Bombed and sunk by U S aircraft February 23rd 1944 (Barunga- Aboriginal word for 'Meat' or 'Food')
BELTANA 3,043 gross tons, 1,590 net. Lbd: 357'2" x 48'7" x 20'5". Cargo vessel built by J G Kincaid & Co., Greenoch for this company. Struck Corsair Rock, Point Nepean, Victoria 16 September 1963. After being towed free she was beached off Dromana, Victoria and again refloated. A few days later found so badly damaged she was declared a total constructive loss. Sold, towed to and scrapped in Hong Kong (Beltana- Aboriginal word for 'Running water')
BORDA 4,038 tons, 2,089 net. Lbd: 405'5" x 53'2" x 22'6.5". Steel steamship, general cargo vessel built by Evans Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane. Ordered originally by and for the Australian Shipping Board as another of their 'D" class vessels without a name yet allocated. Purchased on the stocks by Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd., in September 1950 and named Borda prior to launching. Completed June 1951. Sold March 1961 to South Breeze Navigation Co Ltd., Hong Kong and renamed Brisbane Breeze. May 1961 converted to burn oil as fuel. April 1964 transferred to Panama registry, under Cia De Nav Palomar S.A. and renamed Jose Regidor. July 1966 transferred to Manners Navigation Co Ltd., Hong Kong and sold the next month, August to Shui Cheung Shipping & Trading Co Ltd., Hong Kong who renamed her Lyemen. Sold again in 1967 and 1970, June being renamed Luk Chau for the Hong Kong Pacific Shipping Co Ltd., Liberia. 1974 sold for demolition at Taiwan
BRINAWARR 119 gross tons, 73 net. Lbd: 91'2" x 18'4" x 7'5". Wooden steamship built by J Hawken Snr, of Coolangatta, at Shoalhaven New South Wales. (Strange that Coolangatta Queensland on the Tweed River, border of New South Wales and Shoalhaven, well south of that locale are stated as the construction site. Could well be constructed on the Tweed River, Coolangatta and serviced the Shoalhaven district for J Hay,whilst registered at Sydney.) How J Hay employed this vessel is unknown however her dimensions state river work only. October 1893 acquired by the Adelaide Steamship Co and employed as a tender on the Pioneer River, Mackay, Queensland. Sank when span of a bridge collapsed on her during a Cyclone in January 1918. Not salvaged (Brinawarr- Aboriginal word for 'Place of water lilies')


Ed Ed Ed
BROADWAY
1921-1953
BULLARRA
1890-1924
BUNDALEER
1939-69
BROADWAY & BUNDALEER images courtesy State Library Victoria
BUNGAREE image courtesy State Library South Australia
BROADWAY 722 gross tons, 375 net. Steel steamship, cargo, of 3 masts and machinery aft. Lbd: 178'2" x 30'6" x 12'6". Built Limhamm, Sweden as Lygia. 1923 sold and renamed Durley Hill by Sunderland Steam Shipping Co. Arrived Australia May 1925 for Charles T McGlew of Port adelaide. December 1925 of the Yorke Peninsula Barley producers Ltd, and registered Melbourne. 1926 Peninsula Traders Ltd. These concerns were dissatisfied with Adelaide Steamship Co's service, in a situation where the shipment of their barley caused them to import this vessel for their immediate puposes. All good until the season was complete then found uneconomical to run. In an agreement in 1926, was sold to the Adelaide Steamship Co, where a vessel of similiar standing was always to be made available at the height of the barley shipping season. Sold for scrapping 1953
BULLARRA 1,725 gross tons, 1,087 net. Single Screw Built Gourlay Bros, Dundee for this concern as a passenger cargo ship. Lbd: 260'2" x 37'2" x 16'5". Triple expansion engine of 241 nhp and capable of 11.5 knots. Serviced the Melbourne - Fremantle trade via Adelaide until 1900 when switched to the mail from Fremantle to the north-west coast of Western Australia. Survived the cyclone 'Balla Balla' of March 1912 that took the passenger ship Koombana without trace. Bullara had her funnel blown down to deck and took to shelter, finally making the port of Cossack in 3 days - a distance of a mere 100 miles. Serviced every passenger service this concern conducted, being capable of accomodating 140. Finalised her days working the Spencer Gulf trade until sold to Japan in January 1915 renamed Kyodo Maru No.15. 1920 Nankai Maru, Dairen. 1921 Yatung, Chefoo. 1924 burnt and sank off Japan. Bullarra is local aboriginal (innamincka tribe) word meaning 'rainbow'
BUNDALEER 4238 gross tons, 2,382 net. Lbd: 367'1" x 50'3" x 24'6". Built by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Co., Dundee as a cargo vessel for this company. Sold 1960 and sailed from Sydney October that year to Hong Kong whre she was renamed Fuching. 1964 renamed Oriental Trader. 1966 renamed Dorinthia and registered Panama. 1968 renamed Arena registered Panama. 1969 scrapped (Bundaleer- Aboriginal word for 'Stony place among the hills')


Ed Ed Ed Ed
BUNGAREE
1937-1966
BURRA
1908-64+
CAMIRA
1894-1941
CANTARA
1894-1930
BUNGAREE image courtesy State Library South Australia
CAMIRA (a636653r) & CANTARA image courtesy State Library New South Wales
BUNGAREE 3,943 gross tons, 1,592 net. Lbd: 357'2" x 48'7" x 20'5". Built by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Co., Dundee as a cargo vessel for the Adelaide Steamship Co., and registered at Melbourne. Triple expansion engine. She was requisitioned as a minelayer during WW2. Sold 1957 to a subsidiary company of H C Sleigh, Melbourne and renamed Dampier. Sold 1960 renamed Eastern Mariner under Panamanian registry. Ironically struck a mine in Saigon River Viet nam May 26 1966 and sank (Bungaree- Aboriginal word for 'Group of humpies')
BURRA 38 gross tons, 26 net. Lbd: 63'5" x 15'6" x 6'3". Built as a wooden steamship at the Adelaide Steamship Company's workshop at Balmain, Sydney as a tender in that port. Upgraded from a compounded steam engine of 12 horsepower to diesel in 1955 and transferred to Associated Steamships January 1964. Fate unknown (Burra- Aboriginal word for 'Large stone')
CAMIRA 2,615 gross tons, 1,611 net. Lbd: 312' x 40'2" x 24'7". Built Naval Construction & Armanent, Barrow as Clan Campbell. Triple expansion engine rated 317 nhp. Acquired by the Adelaide Steamship Co in 1913 from Cayzer, Irvine & Co renamed Camira. Sold Jan 1925 and renamed Yung Ming. 1929 renamed Commandant Henri Riviere. Recorded as sunk at Canton, China December 1941
CANTARA 2,624 gross tons, 1,602 net. Lbd: 312' x 40'2" x 24'7". Triple expansion engine rated 317 nhp. Built Naval Construction & Armanent, Barrow as Clan Ross. Acquired by the Adelaide Steamship Co in 1913 from Cayzer, Irvine & Co renamed. Cantara. 1924 Sold Chinese interests renamed Hwah Cheng/. Scrapped 1930


Ed Ed Ed Ed
CARROO
1897-1954
CEDUNA
1894-1941
CLAUDE
1898-1908
CLAUD HAMILTON
1862-1905
CLAUD HAMILTON image courtesy State Library Queensland
CARROO 272 gross tons, 122 net. Lbd 130'5" x 25'1" x 8'9". Built by Edward Bros., North Shield for G S Yuill of London. Steel twin screw steamer. Held twin compound steam engine of 140 inverted horsepower and rated at 7 knots. Acquired September 1897 by Adelaide Steamship Co and rebuilt, refitted, lengthened August 1904 to read: 130' x 25'1" x 8'9". Burnt out 1920 when cargo of case oil caught fire, sold to underwriters, re-bought and refitted 1921. Requisitioned by the Royal Australian Navy June 1942. Returned to owners at the end of hostilities. Sold 1954 and made a lighter/logging barge for Maryborough interests (Hopewell Steam Shipping Co Ltd). Renamed Kgari - the aboriginal name for 'Fraser Island' or 'paradise'. Scuttled at Roy Rufus Reef, Hervey Bay, September 19th 1976. (Carroo = aboriginal word for 'creek')
CEDUNA 2,615 gross tons, 1,614 net. Lbd: 312' x 40'2" x 24'7". 316 nominal horsepower. Built Naval Construction & Armanent Co Ltd., Barrow as Clan Mackay. Acquired 1913 from Cayzer, Irvine & Co renamed. 1924 Sold Chinese interests renamed Tung Tuck. 1937 renamed Chang Teh. 1938 renamed Pananis for the greek owned China-Hellenic Lines. Captured by Japanese December 1941. Fate since unknown (Ceduna- Aboriginal word for 'Sit down and rest')
CLAUDE 16 tons. Unregistered wooden steamship used as a steam launch Sydney during 1898 - 1908. Sunk by the paddlesteamer Newcastle off Mort's dock, Balmain in November of 1908
CLAUD HAMILTON 668 gross tons, 530 net. Lbd: 200'2" x 28'2" x 16'5". Square rigged on the foremast and fore and aft on her main and mizzen, clipper bow. Carried 76 passengers. Built as a passenger ship by Charles Mitchell & Co., Tyne England for the Intercontinental Royal Mail Steam Packet Company of London, who changed name 1866 to Panama, New Zealand & Australian Royal Mail Steam Packet Co. Acquired by McMeckan, Blackwood & Co., Melbourne April 1869. On a voyage across the Tasman Sea a huge sea washed the captain’s cabin, with Captain Rowse inside overboard. He was not found. 1880 owned by Nipper & See. December 1881 Adelaide Steamship Co and eventually renamed ALBANY after a rebuild (she was lengthened and given a straight stem) during early 1886. Her dimensions bacame 231'3" x 28'4" x 16'5" with gross tonnage to 878. Wrecked off Nambucca Heads New South Wales on March 28th, 1905 whilst under charter to AUSN Co


Ed Ed Ed Ed
COLAC
1884-1910
CRAIGLEE
art
CROYDON
1896-1919
COLAC 1st photo image courtesy State Library New South Wales
CRAIGLEE art image courtesy State Library Victoria
COLAC 1,479 gross tons, 958 net. Lbd: 245'2" x 34'2" x 17'2". Compound surface condensing engine 140 nhp. Iron steamship built as a collier by E Withy & Co West Hartlepool for J Huddart & Partners, Melbourne. Acquired by Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd., October 1886. She was stranded in the vicinity of Derby West Australia September 17th 1910, dismantled and abandoned (Colac- Aboriginal word for 'Native bear' ie 'Koala')
CRAIGLEE was chartered 1885 by this company. No other details
CROYDON 69 gross tons, 38 net. Lbd: 76' x 16' x 6'7". Compound surface condensing engine 25 hp. Steel single screw steamship built by Riley, Hargrave & Co., at Singapore in 1896 for unknown owners. First registered in Australia by H Osborne & partners, Fremantle 1899. Sold 1901 to Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd., with intention for service as a lighter at Cossack, Western Australia. Saw employment as a passenger ship on the Albany - Hopetoun - Esperance run in Western Australia on a government mail contract during 1904-5. Abandoned May 1905 to underwriters after sustaining structural strain brought on by bad weather when bound from Western Australia to Port Adelaide. 1913 refitted and re-registered to W R Cave & Co., Adelaide. How she was employed is unknown. Sold 1918 to Huon Shipping & Logging Co., Hobart. May 13th 1919 'sprang' a leak and sank in Savage River west coast of Tasmania. No lives lost. Note: Not the same vessel formerly known as Gunga and renamed Croydon of AUSN Co


Ed Ed Ed Ed
DILGA
1920-1953
DILKERA
1902-44
DUMARESQ
1910-29
DUNDULA
1920-53
DILGA & DILKERA images courtesy State Library Victoria
DUMARESQ image courtesy Wollongong City Library
DUNDULA image courtesy State Library South Australia
DILGA 3,308 gross tons, 1,949 net. Lbd: 331' x 47'9" x 23'5". Triple expansion engine 510 nhp. Steel steamship built at the State Government dockyard Newcastle, New South Wales for the Australian Government Line. Cargo vessel. Owned by Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd from 1925. Scrapped at Yokohama February 1953
DILKERA 2,667 gross tons, 1,694 net. Lbd: 326' x 45'3" x 21'8". Triple expansion engine 277 nhp. Built by the Tyne Shipbuilding Co, Tyne for this concern. Sold to Moller & Co of Shanghai September 1931, registry transferred to Auckland, New Zealand and renamed Mary Moller. Seized December 8th 1941 by Japanese Government and renamed Kaiko Maru. Sunk by U S aircraft off Hainan Island October 6th 1944 (Dilkera- Aboriginal word for 'Shore')
DUMARESQ 55 tons. Lbd: 68'8" x 16'9" x 6'6". 14 nhp. Wooden steamship built Wollongong New South Wales for unknown owners. 1918 purchased and renamed by Adelaide Steamship Co., and employed as steam tug. Scrapped 1929
DUNDULA 3,344 gross tons, 1,936 net. Lbd: 331' x 47'9" x 23'5". Triple expansion engine = 520 nhp. Built as a cargo vessel at the Commonwealth Naval dockyard, Cockatoo Island, Sydney, New South Wales for the Australian Goverment Line. Sold 1925 to Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd. Sold for scrapping February 1953


Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
ECHUNGA
1907-1917
EMU
1876-1901
FERRET
1871-1920
FERRET
at Port Lincoln 1906
FLINDERS (1)
1874-1928
ECHUNGA image courtesy State Library Queensland
FERRET 2nd image courtesy State Library South Australia
ECHUNGA 4,589 gross tons, 2,245 net. Lbd: 390' x 56' x 23'6". Triple expansion engine = 390 nhp. 3 masts with machinery located aft. Built by Sir Royton Dixon & Co Ltd., Middlesborough England for this concern. Was chartered 1915 to Northern Hemisphere (UK?) interests, until acquired early 1917 by the British Admiralty and converted into an oil carrier. Torpedoed in the English Channel, September 5th 1917 (Echunga- Aboriginal word for 'Near' or 'close by')
EMU 616 gross tons, 362 net. Lbd: 179'4" x 25'1" x 11'7". Compounded engine = 96 hp. Built Blackwood 7 Gordon Port Glasgow for R W Osborne & Partners, Port Adelaide. September 1887 Euro S S Co Ltd., of which was formed at least in part by R W Osborne. December 1881 of the Spencer Gulf S S Co Ltd. December 1882 of the Adelaide Steamship Co as result of merger. Circa 1898 chartered by Circular Saw Line. Sold September 1901 with Australian registry closed. New owners seem to be S A Union of Noumea. Lloyds of London had her classed as a 'pontoon' until 1924. Another independant source claimed she was abandoned as a hull in Baie de la Moselle, Noumea
FERRET 347 gross tons. 195 net (June 1885 455 gross & 276 net tons) Lbd: 170'9" x 23'2" x 12'7". Iron steamship built by J & G Thomson, Glasgow. Compounded vertical direct acting steam engine = 90hp. Owners: G & J Burns, Glasgow. 1873 Dingwall & Skye Railway Co Ltd., then Highland Railway Co., Inverness in a merger 1878. She was chartered for a pleasure cruise to the Mediterranean however telltale ship fittings were thrown overboard off Gibraltar to give indication that the ship had foundered. Instead she was renamed 'Bantam' given a different appearance and was taken to Brazil. There, at Santos she loaded a cargo of coffee bound for France however, en-route she was again renamed, this time 'India' and then steamed to Cape Town where her valuable cargo of coffee was sold. She arrived in Melbourne from Albany April 1881, claiming to be a private yacht. Meanwhile the worried legal owners, Highland Railway Co., had placed advertisements globally for this vessel as 'Lost, Stolen or Strayed. At Melbourne an observant wharf policeman noticed the faint name of another vessel under the lettering ‘India’. She was proved to be the Ferret; her operators (Captain & cohorts, Smith, Walker & Wright) were arrested and given 7 years inprisonment. Since, legal matters of complicated ownership details took time to sort out until sold 1881 to William Whinham, Adelaide. Registered the ship as the Ferret in November 1883 at Port Adelaide and in 1883 transferred (taken over) by Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd. Wrecked - Reef Head, Yorke Peninsular South Australia November 14th 1920
Remarks: 10/1880 fraudulently chartered by Messrs Smith & Walker and a Capt Wright and sailed Greenock for Marseilles; disappearance near Gibraltar was faked and insurers paid to owners (Highland Railway Co); name changed to BANTAM with forged documents and bunkered at St Vincent with fake bills of credit; loaded coffee cargo at Santos and renamed INDIA after sailing; cargo fraudulently sold at Cape Town. After arrival at Melbourne in 1881, sale was attempted but, suspicions aroused and both the vessel and those involved arrested 4/1881. Wrecked at Reef Head close to Cape Spencer, South Australia (some sources 13/11/1920)
FLINDERS (1) 489 gross tons, 278 net. Lbd: 195'7" x 25' x 12'1". Iron steamship built by J Laing, Sunderland as a passenger/cargo vessel for Thomas Elder & Partners., Port Adelaide. Held compounded engine producing 90 horsepower. December 1876 of the Spencer's Gulf Steamship Co Ltd working the Spencer Gulf. Acquired 1886 by the Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd and made the occassional 'intercolonial' voyages. Sold November 1900 to W Collins & Sons Ltd., Brisbane and employed on the Brisbane - Maryborough - Bundaberg run. At times was chartered to the Australasian United S N Co., Sydney. Laid up during 1925 and register finally closed 1928 upon advice the vessel had been demolished


Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
FLINDERS (11)
1878-1911
FRANKLIN
1880-1902
GOONDI
1923-1956
GRANTALA
1904-34
FLINDERS (11) image courtesy State Library Victoria
GRANTALA b & w image courtesy State Library South Australia
FLINDERS (11) 948 gross tons, 499 net. Lbd: 227'1" x 28'3" x 20'1". Iron steamship built by A & J Inglis, Glasgow for Tasmanian S N Co., Hobart. Held a compounded engine producing 200 horsepower. As a passenger vessel, was designed for the various routes undertaken by the company. May 1891 taken over by Union SS Co of New Zealand, February 1894 sold to McIlwraith, McEacharn Ltd., Melbourne after being chartered from 1893, being placed upon the Western Australian 'Goldfields' run. Visited Albany mostly with passengers only, and returning at times via the western coastal ports of Victoria, which she ultimately traded out of once the goldrush traffic phased itself out. November 1896 owned by J McIlwraith Snr. July 1907 purchased by Adelaide Steamship Co and placed upon their South Australian coastal trades. 1911 caught fire resulting in irrepairable damage and hulked. Sold 1927 and totally stripped, finally abandoned on the North Arm, Port Adelaide
FRANKLIN 730 gross tons, 395 net. Lbd: 200' x 26'3" x 11'7". Iron steamship built by D & W Henderson at Patrick, Glasgow. Compounded engine = 280 horsepower by builder. First owner - Spencer's Gulf Steamship Co Ltd., Port Adelaide. Capable of carrying 60 passengers, she serviced the outports of South Australia until December 1882 when taken over by Adelaide Steamship Co, and serviced many of their coastal routes. Wrecked April 18 1902 at Point Malcolm, Israelite Bay, Western Australia when operating as a mail steamer between Albany and Esperance
GOONDI 339 tons. Lbd: 150' x 29' x 7'. Built 1894 by J Scott & Co Kinghorn and refitted 1923 by Poole & Steele, Sydney. Original name Gartmore original owners unknown. From refit in 1923 owners registered as J Broadford & Sons Ltd, Townsville Queensland. July 1926 purchased via liquidators of J Broadford & Sons (along with the steamer 'Tully') by this company and renamed Goondi. Sold 1956 renamed Goori and converted into a lighter reg., Maryborough Qld (Goondi- Aboriginal word for 'Bark shelter')
GRANTALA 3,655 gross tons, 1.787 net. Lbd: 350' x 45'2" x 27'2". Steel passenger steamship built by Armstrong Whitworth & Co. at Newcastle on Tyne. Of triple expansion engine = 690nhp. Coal fired boilers = 180psi. Service speed of 15 knots and capable of 225 passenger accomodation as designed for the interstate trade. Sistership Yongala. Served as a hospital ship 1914. WW1, supported the Expeditionary Force landing in Rabaul. Sold/transferred November 1915 to Red Funnel Shipping Co Ltd. Renamed Figuig and sold to Compagnie General Transatlantique (CGT) Bordeaux in 1920. Scrapped in Italy 1934 Grantala- Aboriginal word for 'Big')


Ed
HERBERT
1884-1933
image personal collection
HERBERT 233 gross tons, 139 net. Lbd: 110'5" x 25' x 7'3". Iron steamship built by McIntyre & Co., Hebburn on Tyne for William Villiers Brown, a Townsville merchant who was also part of the business known as Aplin, Brown & Co. This vessel, registered in Brisbane was capable of carrying 27 passengers, working the outports from Townsville. She held a compounded engine producing 60 horsepower. May 1888 sold to John Williams, Launceston and February 1889 of the United Steamship Co., Launceston. Her Tasmanian career was spent servicing the north-west coast of that island state. Sold in March 1896 to the Adelaide steamship Co., Port Adelaide who placed her back on the Queensland small ports and rivers service, where she begun. April 1897 saw her steam from Cairns to New Guinea for the 'goldrush' there, but the journey was not repeated. 1899 refitted tonnage became 302 gross, 152 net. Lbd: 140'1" x25' x7'3". By 1907 she was working the South Australian gulfs' trades, taking in the ports of Turton, Minlacowie, Broughton, Victoria and Wallaroo. Since she was demoted to being a 'coal lighter' until July 1913 when she was refitted and placed again in the Spencer Gulf trade. Finally sold for scrapping purposes in 1932 and scuttled off Cape Cleveland, Queensland during January 1933


Ed
INDUSTRY
1887-
image courtesy of State Library Victoria
INDUSTRY 1,830 gross tons. Lbd: 259'5" x 35'6" x 18'6". Built Strand Slipway Co., Sunderland for W H Cockerline & Co., Hull. From July 1893 until March 1898 she was registered in Sydney and chartered for some of this time by Adelaide Steamship Co for the Melbourne-Adelaide-West Australia run. No details since


INNAMINCKA
Ed Ed Ed Ed
1890-1941 watercolour cooktown off Queensland
1st & 2nd images courtesy State Library Victoria
3rd & 4th images courtesy State Library Queensland
INNAMINCKA 2,501 gross tons, 1.355 net. Lbd: 305' x 40' x 19'8". Steel steamship built by Napier, Shanks & Bell, Yoker near Glasgow for this company. Tripled expansion reciprocating engine = 477nhp. Designed for the Adelaide - Melbourne - Sydney run as a 370 capacity passenger vessel. Accomodation later reduced. Placed upon most of the Company's services. Sold March 1916 to D MacDonald, Hong Kong and became a collier. March 1917 Innamincka Steam Ship Co Ltd (mng D MacDonald), Hong Kong. 1920 Hadjee Mohamed Nemazee, Hong Kong and renamed Seistan in 1921. 1923 Oriental Nav Co Ltd, Hong Kong, re-engined 1923 (new tonnage as 2455 gross 1571 net). 1927 Mohamed Khalul Nemazee, Madras. 1933 Wing Hong Co (mng Williamson & Co), Hong Kong. 1937 Douglas Steamship Co (Williamson & Co), Hong Kong. 1940 Hong Kong Shipping Board (mng Douglas SS Co), Hong Kong and escaped Hong Kong ahead of Japanese occupation of December 1941. Bombed and sunk Manilla harbour 28th December 1941 Innamincka- Aboriginal word for 'You go into hole')


Ed
INNAMINCKA
Queensland
image courtesy of State Library Queensland


Ed Ed
INVESTIGATOR
1882-1918
INVESTIGATOR
circa 1916
INVESTIGATOR images courtesy of State Library South Australia
INVESTIGATOR 583 gross tons, 345 net. Lbd: 210'3" x 28'3" x 12'5". Compounded engine = 80hp, boiler - 80psi. Passenger Cargo Vessel built by D & W Henderson Ltd Glasgow for Spencer's Gulf Steamship Co Ltd., Port Adelaide. Could carry 32 passengers in servicing the 'gulf' region. February 1883 (officially) of the Adelaide Steamship Co., and serviced a greater range of ports outside of Spencer's Gulf, including a run (the Company's first) to Western Australia. 1903 passenger accomodation removed. Wrecked 24th April 1918 at Wardang Island South Australia (Source: unashamedly from R Parsons book "Australian Coastal Passenger Ships') see links for availability


Ed Ed Ed Ed
JUNEE
1907-45
KADINA
1897-1929
KAPARA
1914-1942
KARALTA
1947-1966+
JUNEE image courtesy State Library Victoria
KADINA (132465p)image courtesy State Library Queensland
JUNEE 2,218 gross tons. Lbd: 301' x 42'2" x 18'6". Built for the company by Mackie & Thomson,Glasgow. Cargo vessel only capable of 10 knots and carried sheep and cattle. 1932 sold to Norway interests (Wallem & Co) renamed Goviken. 1933 sold to Chinese interests renamed Sheng Lee. Scuttled ahead of Japanese invasion of Hong Kong in December 1941. Salvaged by the Japanese and renamed Shori Maru. Sunk by USS Segundo (a submarine) in the Korea Strait 11th March 1943 (Junee- Aboriginal word for 'Speak to me')
KADINA 2,710 tons. Lbd: 325'5" x 45'1" x 21". Built by Dobson & Co., Walker on Tyne as the Victorian Era. Later registered for Adelaide Steamship Co 1897 and named Kadina. Sold Oct., 1924 to Hinode K K Dairen renamed Taikei Maru. Stranded December 1929, refloated but not repaired and sold for demolition (Kadina- Aboriginal word for 'Lizard plain')
KAPARA 842 tons. Lbd: 195' x 32'1" x 12'6". Built by J Crown & Sons, Sunderland. Adelaide Steam Tug Co Ltd. 1927 acquired by this company as a cargo vessel (flux & other cargoes- out of Port Pirie). Rated at 9 knots. Whilst under charter to Coast Steamships Limited, ran on to a reef off the south eastern corner of Flinders Island, South Australia, and badly holed, 13th November 1942. Abandoned, remains sold
KARALTA 389 gross tons. Lbd: 158'7" x 26'11" x 9'6". Built C R D Adriatico Monfalcone as Tusna for Swedish owners. 8.5 knots. Acquired 1954 renamed Karalta. Employed on the Queensland coast as a motor powered lighter carrying sugar from Mourilyan and Goondi to Cairns. Sold 1961 to Hong Kong interests. 1966 renamed Autoly. Records end (Karalta- Aboriginal word for 'Green')


Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
KARAWEERA
1882-1902
KATOORA
1927-1987
KEPLER
1886-1910
KOLYA
1888-1924
KARAWEERA image (Sketch by Allen C Green) courtesy State Library Victoria
KATOORA images, 2nd in a very neglect vandalised state, courtesy Glenn of www.ferryman.net.au with thanks
KARAWEERA 1,477 gross tons, 929 net. Lbd: 250' x 35'1" x 17'6". Iron steamship built by Hodgson & Soulsby, Blyth. Of compounded inverted engine = 170hp. 9.75 knots. Owned by R Harrold & partners, Port Adelaide. Designed as a coal carrier however sported 157 passenger capability. Serviced the Newcastle - South Australia run. June 1884 South Australian Coal & Co & 'partners'. From this time passengers were probably not taken. September 1886 J L (Henry) Simpson & Sons (Black Diamond Line). June 1895 A L Harrold & partners. December 1896 Adelaide Steamship Co. Broke her back when stranded on Central Island in the Fitzroy River, at Rockhampton, Queensland, 2nd July 1902. (Karaweera - aboriginal word for 'Forest of red gum trees')
KATOORA 327 tons. Lbd: 135'3" x 26'2" x 8'7". Built G A Brown & Co Greenock, Glasgow. Cargo vessel of 8 knots and worked as a sugar carrier North Queensland coast. November 1942 under the United States Small Ships Command during WW2. Sold 1962 Keith Hollands Shipping Pty., Cairns. 1969 Mornington Island fisheries Pty Ltd Townsville, who converted her into a trawler 1968-9. and listed as 'condemned' in Lloyds Register - 1987
KEPLER 64 gross tons. Lbd: 91' x 18'3" x 5'8". Wooden steamship built by M Erling, Footscray Victoria for J J White of Melbourne. 1890 D Munro & Co Ltd. 1895 E Walsh, T May & W Cowper. Nov 1896 E F Millar, Fremantle. 1909 Adelaide Steamship Co. As steam launch-cargo vessel, sank at her moorings in Hopetoun Harbour West Australia August 8th 1910
KOLYA 1,801 tons. Lbd: 271'2" x 37'1" x 16'. Built as Kirkland by Workman, Clark & Co, Belfast for Kirklands Steamship Co of Glasgow. Chartered by Adelaide Steamship Co October 1895 and purchased outright June 1897. Cargo vessel making 9 knots and fitted to carry 483 cattle and 1,140 sheep. Sold March 1912 to W J Snedden. May 1912 W Barnes & Co, Singapore. Later sold to USA interests, records reveal name change in 1920 as Roberto Figueras, Manilla registry. Broken up 1924 (Kolya - aboriginal word for 'Winter' or 'Rain clouds')


Ed Ed Ed
KONANDA
1955-66+
KOORIE
1909-64+
KORARA
1947-71
KORARA image courtesy State Library Queensland
KONANDA 414 tons. Lbd: 153'3" x 29'11" x 11'2.5". Built Schps 'Vooruitgang' D & J Boot, Alphen for Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd. Cargo vessel making 8.5 knots. Employed on the Queensland coast as a motor powered lighter carrying sugar from Mourilyan and Goondi to Cairns. April 1960 transferred to Coast Steamships Ltd. Oct 1961 sold to Pearl Kaspar Shipping Co, New Zealand. 1966 sold to Port Vila interests. Records end (Konanda - aboriginal word for 'North' or 'Northwards')
KOORIE 25 tons. Lbd: 54'2" x 12'8" x 5'8". Built Waterview, Sydney as a wooden steamship (tender) for this concern. 1948 re-engined with diesel power. 1963 transferred to Associated Steamships in her capacity as a tender. 1964 sold to Maritime Maintenance Pty Ltd., renamed Mariman. Records end (Koorie - aboriginal word for 'Freshwater mussel')
KORARA 388 tons. Lbd: unknown. Steel motorship built by C R D Adrtiatico Monfalcone as the Egenes. 1951 renamed Erdstaal and purchased from Dutch owners in 1954. Employed on the Queensland coast as a motor powered lighter carrying sugar from Mourilyan and Goondi to Cairns. Name changes since (accuracy obscure) Quirina and of course here as the Korara. 1961 recorded as a sugar lighter and owned by John Burke Ltd of Brisbane. She was renamed Karoola early 1971. Mid 1971 she was taken to Sydney, stripped of valuable workings and as a hull, presented to the Royal Australian Navy who towed it out to sea and sunk it by gunfire (Korara - aboriginal word for 'Clouds')


Ed Ed Ed
postcard KOOMBANA
1908-12
postcard
KOOMBANA left image was doctored, image is actually the ss 'Letitia' of the Anchor-Donaldson Line (my thanks to John Thomson for this information)
b&w image courtesy of State Library Victoria
KOOMBANA 3,668 tons. Lbd: 340'1" x 48'2" x 20'8". Built A Stephens & Sons Linthouse, Glasgow. Passenger ship carrying 188 compliment. Capable of 13.5 knots and also fitted to transport 219 cattle and 1,500 sheep. Serviced the Fremantle - North west coastal ports of Western Australia. Went missing off the West Australian coast en route from Port Hedland to Broome March 1912. Loss of 138 persons aboard. Cyclonic conditions prevailed shortly after she departed Port Hedland (Koombana - aboriginal word for 'Deep')


Ed Ed Ed
LAMMEROO
1905-33
LUBRA
1860-98
MALTARA
1946-84
LAMMEROO image personal collection
LUBRA image courtesy State Library Victoria
LAMMEROO 3,750 tons. Lbd: 360' x 48' x 26'3". Steel steamship built by W Beardmore & Co , Dalmuir for the Nelson Line as the Highland Laddie. Cargo vessel capable of 9.3 knots. Acquired 1907 and renamed. Fitted to carry 3,900 sheep.Sold to China interests renamed Shun Foo. Scrapped 1933
LUBRA 246 gross tons. Lbd: 147' x 22'2" x 10'5". Iron steamship built by Laurence Hill & Co., Glasgow for H H Ward of Glasgow. Later A L Elder of London. Jan 1863 Thomas Elder, R B Smith & others of Port Adelaide. Feb 1877 Spencer's Gulf S S Co Ltd., and refitted to Lbd: 167'3" x 22'2" x 10'4" increased tonnage as 321 gross. December 1882 Adelaide Steamship Co. Wrecked Jurien Bay West Australia January 3rd 1898. (Lubra aboriginal word for 'Woman')
MALTARA 951 gross tons. Lbd: 209'4" x 31'5" x 13'7.5". Steel motorship (diesel) built by Goole Shipbuilding & Repair Co Ltd, Goole as the Ino for Bristol Steam navigation Co. Cargo vessel capable of 9 knots. Acquired 1954 by Adelaide Steamship Co., for their cement components trade. Worked the Klein's Point, Yorke Peninsular to Port Adelaide trade in carrying limestone for the Adelaide Cement Co Ltd., and on 28th September 1959 sold to their subsidiary Company - Acco Transport Ltd, Adelaide. Sold 1967 renamed Sandy registered in Panama. 1974 sold Indonesia renamed Bagas. 1984 scrapped (Maltara is a type of eucalypt)


Ed Ed Ed
baggage label MANOORA
1935-1961
baggage label

Ed Ed
MANOORA
1935-1972
MANOORA 10,856 gross tons, 6,261 net. Lbd: 463'5" x 66'2" x 249'8". Steel twin screw diesel powered passenger ship built by A Stephen & Sons Ltd, Glasgow. Engine = 8,200 bhp. Reached 18.5 knots at trials. Innovative design for the era, 3 decks, cruiser stern, refrigeration and promenade deck (fully open) with tennis courts, entertainment etc. Fitted with accomodation for 400 passengers in 2 classes. Regularly worked the Fremantle - Sydney route and Melbourne - Cairns service until commissioned by the December 12th 1939 as an Armed Merchant Carrier (AMC). 1943 converted to a Landing Ship Infantry, participating in Island hopping landings, and, at war's end transported Aussie troops back home from both Asia and the Pacific Islands. 1949 handed back to owners to resume normal service. Sold to Indonesian Government 1961. Renamed Ambulombo, 1965 renamed Affan Oceana then Ambulombo in 1966. Sunk off Luzon on her way to Taiwan for scrapping 18th November 1972 (Manoora aboriginal name for 'Spring')


Ed Ed
MANUNDA
1929-1957
MANUNDA 9,115 gross tons, 5,300 net. Lbd: 430' x 60'2" x 35'6". Built Harland & Wolff, Glasgow. Steel twin screw passenger ship, rated 17.5 knots with service speed of 15 knots. Twin diesels = 10,000 ihp, cruiser stern, 3 decks refrigeration machinery and 300 passenger accomodation in 2 classes. Worked the interstate services until May 1940 when she was converted into a Hospital ship. Survived bombing of Darwin 19th February 1942. Refitted for normal passenger service 1947. 1956 sold to Japan renamed Hakone Maru. Scrapped 1957(Manunda is aboriginal word for 'waterhole')


Ed Ed Ed
MARLOO
1891-1914
MARLOO 1st image at Bulimba Point 1908 image courtesy State Library Queensland
centre image courtesy Nathan Smith, an excellent maritime artist contactable at mahenoguy@yahoo.com.au
3rd image courtesy State Library Victoria
MARLOO 2628 gross tons, 1,676 net. Lbd: 323' x 40'3" x 17'2". Clipper bow, passenger vessel. Built Palmers Shipbuilding Jarrow as the Francesco Crispi. Of triple expansion engine = 400hp, 4 boilers coal fired and made 12 knots service speed. Renamed when acquired by this Company 1895 as a passenger vessel of 300 and refitted with steerage extended into the hold for the Western Australian 'goldrush' demand. Latter part of her career saw passenger accomodation reduced to approx 120 and placed upon the Company's various coastal passenger routes. Wrecked Fraser Island, Queensland, 27 September 1914 (Marloo is aboriginal word for 'kangaroo')


Ed Ed
MARRA
1955-84
MARRA
as John Monash
JOHN MONASH image courtesy Australian War Memorial
MARRA 1,396 gross tons. Lbd: 233'2" x 37'8" x 14'9". Built Ardrossan Dry Dock & Ship Building Co., Ardrossan for this concern. Of British Polar engine making 9.5 knots as a cargo vessel. May 1965 sold to Australian Army and renamed AS3051 (John Monash) and provided a shuttle service from Australia to Vietnam transporting cargo for the AustralianTask Force. Sold September 1974 to unknown buyers however prior to that sale, she worked the West Australian coast being used on the Ord River Project under 'Stateships' perhaps under lease. Clydebuilt shipsite states she was renamed 1976 Asian Queen, 1980 Arabian Victory and finally Sea Rose in 1981. Scrapped May 1984 at Gadani Beach, Pakistan (Marra is aboriginal word for 'hand')


Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
MARY
1866-1909
MERINGA
1958-93
MERRIWA
1915-41
MILLUNA
1914-42
MARY image with 'Lady Musgrave' (181512p) image courtesy State Library Queensland
MERINGA 1st image & MILLUNA courtesy State Library Queensland
MERINGA 2nd image courtesy State Library Victoria
MERRIWA image courtesy New South Wales
MARY 89 gross tons. Lbd: 96' x 18' x 7'. Iron paddle steamer (steam tug) built by P N Russell under sub contract from John Cuthbert, Sydney for the Queensland Government. June 1890 W & W J Collin, Brisbane. June 1984 Adelaide Steamship Co. 1901 to J G Fearnley of Cairns, whom at the time was this company's agent. She was sheathed in wood Townsville June 1901. Whilst employed as a tug, sank at her moorings in Cairns August 2nd, 1909
MERINGA 5,459 gross tons. Lbd: 411'6" x 53'6" x 22'1". Cargo vessel built by Hall, Russell & Co Pty Ltd., Aberdeen for the Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd. Service speed = 12.5 knots. From January 1959 she commenced the 'sugar' run from Lucinda Point, North Queensland to Colonial Sugar Refineries plant at Pyrmont, Sydney. January 1964 transferred to Associated Steamships. 1977 sold to Bulkships subsidiary - Hull Investments Ltd, Australia. 1979 sold Panama. Broken up at Chittagong February 1993 (Meringa is aboriginal word for 'Red soil')
MERRIWA 5,629 gross tons. Lbd: 402' x 53'3" x 27'4". Cargo vessel built by Rickmers Weft, Bremerhaven as Willy Rickmers. Service speed = 10 knots. Renamed Gertrud 1917 and acquired 1921 from British Shipping controller. Renamed Merriwa by this concern. Sold 1928 to German interests renamed Ditmar Koel. Sold 1939 renamed Kate Grammerstorf. Sunk by a mine May 22nd 1941 (Merriwa is aboriginal word for 'Grass seed')
MILLUNA 5,681 gross tons. Lbd: 402' x 53'3" x 27'4". Cargo vessel built by Rickmers Weft, Bremerhaven as Mabel Rickmers. Service speed = 10 knots. Renamed Franziska 1917. Acquired 1921 by the Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd from British Shipping controller and renamed Milluna. Transferred to Auckland December 1928 until Jan 1930 and again from June 1930 until June 1931 when sold to Italian interests and renamed Mouni. 1936 renamed Tembein. Torpedoed by British submarine near Tripoli February 27th 1942 (Milluna is aboriginal word for 'racing')


Ed Ed Ed Ed
MINKARA
1954-83
MINNIPA
1927-1963
MINNIPA
taken 1935
MINTARO
1889-1951
MINKARA as the Ricky Miller image courtesy R Priest of the Nautical Association of Australia
MINNIPA images courtesy State Library South Australia
MINTARO image courtesy State Library Queensland
MINKARA 2,616 gross tons. Lbd: 311'4" x 44'7" x 19'. Cargo vessel built at Grangemouth Dockyard Co Ltd, Greenock and purchased on the stocks by Adelaide Steamship Co. Burmeister & Wain diesel engine making 11.5 knots. Worked as a bulk cargo carrier. January 1964 was sold/transferred to Associated Steamships Pty Ltd., Melbourne. Purchased by R.W. Miller in 1969 and renamed Ricky Miller. Sold 30th May 1976 to the Maldives Shipping Co of Panama renamed Maldive Carrier. Scrapped 1983 (Minkara is aboriginal word for 'Silver wattle tree')
MINNIPA 1,977 gross tons, 986 net. Lbd: 253'1" x 39'9" x 22'. Steel motorship built by Burmeister & Wain, Copenhagen as a passenger ship for this concern. Diesel engine - 2,700bhp and rated at 15 knots.150-200 passenger capacity on the Port adelaide - Port Lincoln run. Maintained that bi-weekly service since 1927, at times taking in Tumby as a port of call. Withdrawn June 1960 and sold to unknown interests who renamed her Mayon under Panamanian registry. Broken up Hong Kong late 1963 (Minnipa is aboriginal word for 'Hill')
MINTARO 2,286 gross tons. Lbd: 290'8" x 37'9" x 19'5". Steel steamship built by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow as the Larnaca for G M Steeves, Liverpool . Cargo vessel making 9 knots. Under this name she was chartered by Adelaide Steamship Co., Sydney from May 1897 and purchased in August 1899. Renamed Mintaro. Fitted to carry 506 cattle. Sold October 1913 to H C Sleigh, Sydney. Sold 1914 to Japanese owners renamed Taisei Maru. 1920-21 renamed Daiboshi Maru and finally scrapped Japan 1951 (Mintaro is aboriginal word for 'Drinking place for kangaroos')


Ed Ed Ed Ed
MOMBA
1926-72
MOONTA (1)
1892-1931
MOONTA (11)
1931-1967
MOMBA image courtesy State Library South Australia
MOMBA 3,021 gross tons. Lbd: 331'8" x 46'6" x 23'1" (Lb: 101.13 x 14.2 metres) Steel motorship built by Burmeister & Wain, Copenhagen for this concern. Cargo vessel making 11 knots. Sold 1954 to interests at Wellington, New Zealand and renamed Ken Waihi. Was arrested at Sydney April 29th 1955 for debt, with the crew being repatriated May 9th and the vessel sold September to Italian interests being renamed Due GolfI. 1972 scrapped
MOONTA (1) 2,266 gross tons. Lbd: 280' x 38'1" x 16'2". Steel steamship built by W Dobson and Co., Tyne Newcastle England as La Serena. Chartered from July 1896 under La Serena until stranded and abandoned to underwriters April 10th 1899. Purchased as a wreck by Adelaide Steamship Co., 1899 and registered as Moonta 1900. Sold 1913 to William Crosby & Co., Melbourne. January 1915 sold to Japan renamed Tokei Maru. Scrapped Japan 1931
MOONTA (11) 2,693 gross tons, 1,598 net. Lbd: 288'2" x 43'7" x 22'9". Steel motorship built by Burmeister & Wain, Copenhagen for this concern as a passenger ship carrying 140-150 passengers. Diesel engine = 1,400 ihp. Service speed of 14 knots. Mostly serviced the Spencer Gulf trade and briefly engaged upon the Bass Strait run from June 6th 1955 until December 8th 1955 when relieving the steamship Taroona (whilst undergoing repairs) in servicing Melbourne - Launceston. Sold late December to Greek interests and renamed Lydia. 1967 sold to French interests who removed the engine and beached the hull at Perpignan, Southern France as a Casino/nightclub


Ed Ed Ed Ed
MORIALTA (1)
1911-1942
MORIALTA (11)
1940-73
Morialta (1)1st image at Port Lincoln courtesy State Library South Australia
Morialta (11) images courtesy State Library Victoria
MORIALTA (1) 1,929 gross tons, 1,108 net. Lbd: 240' x 40'3" x 14'5". Built by D & W Henderson Ltd, at Patrick Glasgow for the Adelaide Steamship Co., Port Adelaide. She was a twin screw passenger ship designed for and placed upon the Spencer Gulf run. Service speed = 12 knots. Spent 3 years as interstate passenger vessel between Sydney and North Queensland during WW1. Sold 1919 to Hong Kong Interests and renamed Hai Loong. Sold again in 1922 to Newcastle & Hunter River S N Co Ltd., and renamed Gwydir. Worked the Sydney - Newcastle route. February 14th 1942 beached after collision with Neo Hebridais off Norah Head, New South Wales & dismantled where she lay
MORIALTA (11) 1,379 gross tons, 695 net. Lbd: 219'5" x 39'1" x 13'. Steel motorship built by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, Dundee for this concern as a passenger ship. Service speed = 12.5 knots. Designed for the Spencer Gulf trades. Requisitioned by British Admiralty for WW2 duties. Finally arrived South Australian waters 1947. Sold September 1957 to John Burke Ltd, Brisbane and renamed Waiben. Sold December 1964 to Noumea renamed Jacques Del Mar. Sold 1968 renamed Long Life. Early 1972 renamed Royal Martin later same year renamed Island Pearl. December 23rd 1973 struck a mine on a voyage from Phnom Penh to Singapore, capsized and sank (Morialta is aboriginal word for 'running water')


Ed Ed Ed Ed
MULCRA
1925-1976
MULCRA
Kingston jetty 1930
MUNDALLA
1926-70
MUNDOORA
1960-76+
MULCRA 1st image personal collection, 2nd image courtesy State Library South Australia
MUNDALLA image courtesy State Library Victoria
MULCRA 1,168 gross tons. Lbd: 215'7" x 34'2" x 13'6". Built Svenberg Skbs & Msk, Svenborg as a cargo ship with limited passenger accomodation for this company. Engined by Burmeister & Wain with service speed of 9 knots. Commissioned by the RAN & U S Forces as an armament stores carrier 1942-5. Returned to civilian service 1946. Sold 1961 renamed La Trinidad. 1964 renamed Tasanee. 1973 renamed Andes. 1975 Veng-An. 1976 scrapped
MUNDALLA 3,018 gross tons. Lbd: 331'8" x 46'6" x 23'1". (98.15x14.17m) Steel motorship built by Burmeister & Wain, Copenhagen for this concern and launched as the Mundoo but quickly renamed as another vessel same name was already in existence. Laid up 1954 but soon recommissioned. Since, recorded as sold to Hines Metals Ltd who since sold her in December 1959 to Southern Shipping of Vila, New Hebrides where she serviced overseas from Australian ports. Sold 1962 renamed Adele Beam. Renamed Perola 1965. 1965 transferred to Panama registry. 1970 scrapped (Mundalla is aboriginal word for 'sweet')
MUNDOORA 4,116 gross tons. Lbd: 340'10" x 52'7" x 22'1". General cargo vessel built by Evans, Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane for Adelaide Steamship Co. Service speed of 12.5 knots. Doxford engine constructed at the Commonwealth engine works, Melbourne. Transferred to Associated Steamships January 1964. 25th January 1975 she was time chartered to BHP Shipping for 12 months. Laid up from February 1976 at Sydney until sold 24th May 1976 to Maldives Shipping and renamed Marina from 8th June. Fate since unknown (Mundoora is aboriginal word for 'deep water')


Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
MURIEL
1881-1931
MYRNA
1929-64
NALPA
1918-55
NARDOO
1902-27
NINA
1916-30
Images wanted
MURIEL 108 gross tons. Lbd: 91'5" x 18'4" x 7'3". Steamship built by Hodgson & Soulsby, Blyth for owners in Colchester, England. Service speed of 6 knots. Acquired by McIlwraith McEacharn circa 1883. August 1889 Registered Melbourne to Charles Douglas & Partners. December 1890 W Cowper & Partners. August 1894 Adelaide Steamship Co. Engaged in Queensland port trades, as likely a tender to the larger vessels where practible. Sold 1926 to Hayles Magnetic Island Pty Ltd., Queensland and register officially closed 1931 after she had been stripped and beached at Townsville
MYRNA Unregistered Wooden motor lighter built for the company in Sydney circa 1929. Capable of 8 knots. Sold/transferred 1964 to Associated Steamships Pty Ltd. Records, exact data obscure
NALPA 685 gross tons. Lbd" 180'8" x 28'7" x 12'6". Built by Wortelboer & Co., Delfzijl as the Solholm. Service speed of 8 knots. Serviced the Yorke Penninsular in carrying barley and other crop produce to Port Adelaide. Acquired in June 1921 and renamed. Chartered to AUSN Co, Sydney in 1934 and subsequently sold to that concern December 1937 and renamed Buranda. 1946 sold renamed Chung Foo. No Lloyd's of London registry since 1955, presumed scrapped (Nalpa is aboriginal word for 'Saw of the Sawfish')
NARDOO 2,907 gross tons. Lbd: 324' x 47'1" x 21'7". Cargo vessel built by W Pickersgill & Sons, Sunderland for this company. Service speed of 9.5 knots. Recorded as purchased by Trinder, Anderson & Co, date unknown. Since, sold 1922 to Japan renamed Futami Maru. Wrecked january 23rd 1927 on a voyage between Vladivostock and Japan (Nardoo is aboriginal word for 'Plant with edible seeds')
NINA Unregistered motor lighter 15 gross tons. Operated in West Australian waters between 1916-1930. Fate unknown


Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
NOORA
1924-1957
OORAMA
1921-1956
OTWAY
1872-1913
NOORA image courtesy State Library New South Wales
NOORA 2nd image personal collection
OORAMA 2nd image courtesy State Library Queensland
NOORA 1,072 gross tons. Lbd: 215' X 33'1" X 13'. Cargo vessel built Blyth Shipbuilding & Drydock Pty Ltd, Blyth as the Ornais. Service speed of 8.3 knots. Carried gypsum to the eastern states of Australia. Acquired 1927 renamed Noora. Sold 1956 to Hong Kong interests renamed King Bee. Wrecked January 24th 1957 en-route Amoy to Hong Kong (Noora is aboriginal word for 'Tail')
OORAMA 1,051 gross tons, 589 net. Lbd: 210'4" x 33'2" x 12'9". Cargo vessel built John Fullerton & Co., Paisley as a steel hulled steamship for the Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd, Adelaide . Propulsion: T3cy 156nhp. Employed transporting gypsum from South Australia to Sydney Cement and plaster manufacturers, returning with coal. Sold June 1949 renamed Tuggerah by Wallarah Coal Co. Sold January 1956 to Cambray Prince S S Co Hong Kong renamed Brenda. Scrapped Hong Kong August 1956 (Oorama is aboriginal word for 'Tomorrow')
OTWAY 446 gross tons, 271 net. Lbd: 180' x 25' x 12'. Iron steamship of 93 horsepower, 2 masts as built Blackwood & Gordon, Glasgow for the Warrnambool Steam Packet Co, Melbourne. Designed as a passenger vessel for their Melbourne - Western Districts of Victoria run. May 1878 C V Robinson & Partners, Melbourne. November 1878 Lilly & Marshall, whom together with Anderson, became the Western Australian Shipping Company. That concern folded selling all to Adelaide Steamship Co in May 1883. Refitted 1883 to 203' x 25'2" x 12' with tonnage 563 gross. 1892 sold to A Jouve & Co, Noumea. June 1897 E F Knoblauch, reg Sydney. October 1897 sold to Illawarra S N Co Ltd., Sydney and employed as cargo only vessel. June 1901 sold to North coast S N Co and in August renamed Nymbodia. Hulked 1913 and scrapped 1930


Ed Ed Ed Ed
OURAKA
1890-1932
PARATTAH
1904-32
PARINGA
1908-35
PELICAN
1880-1967
.............................................
OURAKA 2,627 gross tons. Lbd: 300'3" x 41'2" x 19'6". Steel steamship built by Russell & Co Port Glasgow for the Adelaide Steamship Company . Cargo vessel with 6 berth passenger capacity, service speed of 9 knots. Presumedly employed carrying coal and laid up at Sydney 1892 during a lull in coal contracts. 1911 was servicing Queensland coast. February 1914 sold to H C Sleigh. Later same year sold to Japan renamed Yei Maru No. 2. Renamed Ying Ping 1930. 1941 renamed Hasshu Maru and under this name was bombed and sunk north of Tanahmera Bay, New Guinea 02.33S 140.43E 10th March 1944 (Ouraka - aboriginal word for 'Wait awhile')
PARATTAH 4196 gross tons. Lbd: 375'6" x 49'. ex Berlin of the German-Australian Steam Ship Co. 1914 seized by Australia at Sydney and renamed Parattah. Operated by this company as Managers on behalf of Australian Government from 1920. Operated between east coast ports and West Australia. Sold 1925 to E. Marcou of Greece renamed Markakis. Scrapped at Italy 1932
PARINGA 1310 gross tons, 762 net. Lbd: 230'2" x 36'1" x 13'9". Steel steamship built Kinghorn, England for the Adelaide Steamship Company's Spencer Gulf passenger services. Cargo vessel with 80 passenger capacity. Triple expansion engine = 1,600 ihp and making 11 knots. During WW1 serviced the Sydney - Cairns route in lieu of larger vessels being absent on war duties. Was laid up in Port Adelaide until sold to Chinese interests in 1935 when her register as a British ship closed. Late December 1935, whilst towing the old tanker Vincas out of Western Port, the ships met a gale off Wilsons Promontory; when the line parted the Paringa disappeared in the darkness and apparently foundered in Bass Strait shortly after with a loss of five European officers and twenty six Chinese crew (Paringa - aboriginal word for 'By the river')
PELICAN 70 gross tons. Lbd:80'2" x 17' x 6'7". Built by Johnson & Co (Tyne Foundry) Yarrabank Melbourne for the Melbourne Harbour Trust Commissoners. Service speed of 9 knots as a steam tender. Purchased May 1895 Adelaide Steamship Co., for their North Queensland services. September 1941 Berthelsen Bros, Maryborough Queensland. 1945 Hyne & Son being re-engined with International Truck engines. Laid up 1967. Fate unknown


Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
PENOLA / PERTH
1863-87
QUORNA
1912-47
RIVER BURDEKIN
1943-71
RIVER CLARENCE
1943-68
ROB ROY
1867-1901
RIVER BURDEKIN image courtesy State Library Victoria
RIVER CLARENCE image courtesy State Library Queensland
PENOLA / PERTH 349 gross tons, 261 net. Lbd: 170'5" x 22'5" x 12'6". Iron steamship, clipper bow as built by Laurence Hill & Co., Glasgow 1863 as the Penola for Grice Sumner and Co. of Melbourne. Held a 2 cylinder engine of 80 horsepower and rated at 10 knots service speed. Designed for the passenger trade between Melbourne and Adelaide. June 1865 owned by G Ormerod of Robe, Western Australia. Sank the steamship City of Launceston in a collision Port Phillip Bay November 19th 1865. Sold March 1874 to J J Grice & Partners. July 1887 sold to Mount Gambier Steamship Co Ltd. Same year lengthened Lbd: 194'6" x 22'5" x 12'6". With refitting tonnage change became 414 gross, 310 net. March 1881 owned by Piggot & Partners. October 1882 ownership of W Whinham, Port Adelaide. August 1883 Adelaide Steamship Co who retained the name Penola until she was rebuilt and given a straight stem, ie: removal of the clipper bow. Lbd: became 192'1" x 22'5" x 12'6" in 1885 and she was renamed Perth. During her career passenger numbers varied in carrying capacity, with rebuilds she was reported as being capable of 100 by her final refit. Wrecked ashore near Point Cloates, Western Australia, 13th September 1887. The boiler burst soon after she struck injuring several firemen, but all passengers and crew landed safely
QUORNA 565 gross tons, 231 net. Lbd: 175'5" x 28'1" x 11'6". Steel steamship built by J. Fullerton & Co, Paisley as the Warrener for George Wills & Co, reg. Port Adelaide. Triple expansion engine producing 86 nhp. Service speed of 9.5 knots. 26 passenger berths and certified to carry 45. 1915 passenger accomodation added, new tonnage as 606 gross tons, 265 net. Renamed Quorna August 1913 when sold to Adelaide Steamship Co. 1915 passenger accomodation added, new tonnage as 606 gross tons, 265 net. Reputed to have 80 passenger capacity. Employed in the Spencer Gulf trade and used as a 'relief' vessel within the fleet. Laid up at Port Adelaide circa 1947 and gradually stripped. Hull presented to the RAAF and towed to sea October 30th 1950 and sunk off Kangaroo Island by bombers (Quorn - aboriginal word for 'deep')
RIVER BURDEKIN 5,108 gross tons, 2,804 net. Lbd" 449'2" x 56'8" x 25'6". (136.85x17.3 m.) Steam powered cargo vessel built by Evans Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane for the Australian Government with Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd., appointed as managers. October 1947 Australian Shipping Board took over management. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. 1959 sold to Indonesia government renamed Djajadwitja. Several Indonesian owners since until scrapped Kaoshiung 1971
RIVER CLARENCE 5,995 gross tons. 3,451 net. Lbd: 449'2" x 56'8" x 24'6". Steam powered cargo vessel built Cockatoo Island Docks & Engineering Co., Sydney for the Australian Government with Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd., appointed as managers. Transferred to the Australian Shipping Board October 1947. Feb 1957 transferred to he Australian National Line. 1960 sold to World-Wide Shipping Co Ltd renamed Golden Alpha. Many ownership changes since until scrapped Japan 1968
ROB ROY 309 gross tons, 200 net. Lbd: 148'2" X 21'5" X 15'1". Iron steamship built by Thomas Wingate & Co, Whiteinch for C V Robinson, Launceston Tasmania and J Lilley of Melbourne with the ship being registered at Melbourne. 2 cylinder engine producing 50hp. Service speed of 9 knots. Passenger capacity of 60 in two classes. November 1872 refitted becoming 168' x 21'5" x 15'1" with tonnage being 393 gross and 267 net. Serviced the Melbourne - Launceston trade until (unknown date) she was placed upon the Western districts of Victoria trade in a lively arena of competition. By 1877 the western Steam Navigation Company held sway over all other competitiors and this vessel changed over to the Western Australian coastal services. By November 1878 J Lilley & Marshall were the registered owners. Stranded at Cossack, Western Australia. February 1882 registration cancelled, towed to Melbourne for repairs. Re-registered Melbourne for Lilley & Marshall September 1882 until sold to Adelaide Steamship Co May 1883. Under this ownership, she saw service upon the Western Australia coast as well as upon the South Australia gulf region and at times along the Queensland coast. Passenger capacity varied, up to 100 according to records. Hulked 1901, isolated at Melbourne until fully scrapped 1910


Ed Ed Ed Ed
ROYAL SHEPHERD
1853-90
RUPARA
1906-24
RUPARA
The Crew
RUPARA
The Passengers
ROYAL SHEPHERD image courtesy State Library Victoria
RUPARA images personal collection
ROYAL SHEPHERD 265 gross tons, 184 net. Lbd: 148'1" x 19'8" x 10'5". Re-measured July 1857 (after mizzen mast removed and main mast moved further forward late 1865) as 331 gross tons, 245 net. Lbd: 139'9" x 19'8" x 10'5". (42 metres long and 6 metres wide). Built by Blackwood & Gordon at Paisley, Scotland, in 1853 for Major & Co of Greenock 1853. 3 masts and an oscillating engine producing 60 horsepower. Service speed of 10 knots on 22 tons of coal. Passenger vessel accomodating 60. Owned in 1854 by the Launceston Steam Navigation Co., registered in Launceston. July 1857 owned by G Fisher & Partners (Launceston and Melbourne Steam Navigation Co). Intended for the Bass Strait run, she had little success, and was sold December 1864 to Joseph Darwent of Port Adelaide. Has one mast removed 1866 and sold to Andrew Tennant & Others, Adelaide. Sold again in December 1876 to Spencer's Gulf S S Co, working the Spencer Gulf in South Australia even with the takeover/merger by Adelaide Steamship Co., Adelaide. H.J. Cattanach, W.A. Firth, and T. Elder have all been named by various sources as having ownership during her South Australia career. October 1885 sold to J Warburton and Son of Pyrmont, Sydney. Another source states J Mitchell, Sydney as owner from October 1885. (Comes across as a ship with a name that many wanted ownership of) Intended as a collier but found other work until converted into a collier October 1889. Was towing a sailing ship to Wollongong when she sank after collision the steamship Hesketh 14th july 1890 off Sydney Heads. No lives lost
RUPARA 1,368 gross tons, 791 net. Lbd: 230'2" x 36'2" x 13'7". Steel single screw steamship built R & W Hawthorn, Leslie & Co Hebburn-on-Tyne, Newcastle. Designed for the Spencer Gulf trade, Adelaide - Eyre Peninsular town of Port Lincoln in an express passenger service. Steamed from Port Lincoln, across the Spencer Gulf to Wallaroo, and returning to Port Adelaide via Port Lincoln. Became a regular until World War 1 when she was diverted to the east coast serving Cairns via Brisbane from Sydney. Capable of 102 passengers, 72 first class and 30 second class. Sold to Hong Kong interests in 1919. Sold again to owners in Manila and renamed Heras. Wrecked April 1924, full details obscure. (Rupara - aboriginal word for 'Round hill')


Ed Ed Ed
SOUTH AUSTRALIAN
1876-1909
all above images courtesy of State Library Victoria
SOUTH AUSTRALIAN 656 gross tons, 353 net. Lbd: 226'1" x 26'4" x 13'5". Iron steamship built by D & W Henderson & Co., Meadowside Glasgow as a (100) passenger vessel for the Adelaide Steamship Co., Port Adelaide for their Adelaide - Melbourne passenger trade. Compounded engine producing 436 horsepower with a service speed of 12 knots. 1878 tonnage increased to 716 gross, 412 net and capable of carrying 170 passengers. She was their first regular service steamer to Sydney and became their first steamer to visit Brisbane. Sold February 1898 to A Sneddon, Sydney who converted her into a collier with limited passenger capacity. Chartered out to William Rankin of the Howard Colliery for 3 months early 1899. December 1904 sold to Mutual Shipping Co Ltd., of Fiji. Driven ashore and abandoned on Wallis Island (Tonga) in 1909. She was eventually salvaged and employed as a hulk at Levuka, Fiji until blown ashore and totally wrecked in 1914 (Sister ship Victorian)


Ed Ed Ed Ed
TARCOOLA
1902-36
TERKA
1925-1944
TOLGA
1925-1946
TOORIE
1925-1956
TARCOOLA image (006500PD) courtesy of State Library Western Australia
TERKA, TOLGA & TOORIE images courtesy of Australian War Memorial
TARCOOLA 2,647 gross tons. Lbd: 326' x 45'4" x 21'8". Steel steamship built by Tyne Shipbuilbers Co., Willington Quay on Tyne. Service speed of 9 knots. Triple expansion reciprocating steam engine 1400 ihp. Cargo only vessel, serviced the Queensland coast circa 1911. Sold April 1932 to Australian Tramp Steamers Ltd., of Hong Kong. again sold 1933 to Chinese interests and renamed Pei an. Wrecked April 1936 (Tarcoola - aboriginal word for 'Bend in river')
TERKA 420 gross tons. Lbd: 147' x 26'6" x 9'2". Steel steamship built by New South Wales Government Dockyard Newcastle, Australia for and in conjunction with Dorman, Long & Co as the Sir Dudley De Chair. Service speed = 8 knots. Her purpose with Dorman Long & Co was ancilliary to the construction of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Chartered early 1927 by the White Steamship Co, Sydney (J G White) who ran her between Brisbane and Sydney. White Steamship co went into voluntary liquidation July 1927. Acquired by the Adelaide Steamship Co in 1928, renamed Terka and placed upon the Queensland coast lightering sugar to larger vessels. 1940 became RAN auxilliary vessel WW2, as a minesweeper and later as a water carrier. Lost at Madang 26th March 1944 (Terka - aboriginal word for 'Kangaroo')
TOLGA 418 gross tons. Lbd: 147' x 26'6" x 9'2". Steel steamship built by New South Wales Government Dockyard Newcastle, Australia for Dorman, Long & Co, Sydney as the Dorlonco. Service speed = 8 knots. Renamed 1926 as Sir T Hugh Bell. Sold to the Adelaide Steamship Co in 1930 and renamed Tolga. Placed upon the Queensland coast lightering sugar to larger vessels. 1940 became RAN auxilliary vessel WW2, as a minesweeper and later as a water carrier. Purchased by the Navy 1946 and scuttled April same year
TOORIE 414 gross tons. Lbd: 147' x 26'6" x 9'2". Steel steamship built by New South Wales Government Dockyard Newcastle, Australia for Dorman, Long & Co, Sydney as Sir Arthur Dorman. Service speed = 8 knots. Acquired by Adelaide steamship Co 1928 renamed Toorie. Placed upon the Queensland coast lightering sugar to larger vessels. Minesweeper for RAN November 1940 until January 1943. Sold 1956 to Hong Kong for scrapping
Image at Williamstown prior to refit as RAN auxiliary vessel WW2 (Toorie - aboriginal word for 'Water hen')


Ed Ed Ed Ed
TROUBRIDGE
1961-2003+
TULLY
1910-27
UCO
1919-65
ULOOLOO
1924-1962
TULLY image (32553p) courtesy State Library Queensland
UCO image courtesy State Library New South Wales
TROUBRIDGE 1,995 tons, 582 net. Lbd: 291'6" x 50'1" x 13'1". Built by Evans, Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane as a passenger cargo vehicle ship servicing Port adelaide and the Gulf ports. Service speed of 14.5 knots. She came under the Adelaide Steamship (Operations) Ltd., a subsidiary company of Adelaide Steamship Co. Finally sold outright to the South Australian government 1972 ending 90 plus years of coastal shipping services by the Adelaide Steamship Company. She became a joint venture between R.W. Miller and Co., and the South Australian Government Roads Department on equal shareholdings of 50% each. Worked the Port Adelaide - Kangaroo Island - Port Lincoln service. This was a very profitable ferry service and 'iconic' to many locals. Replaced by the "Island Seaway" 1st June 1987. The partnership between R.W. Miller and Co., and the South Australian Government Roads Department continued on the earlier basis and shareholding. At this date the R.W. Miller and Co., had become a 100% subsidiary of Howard Smith Ltd. Since she went to Malta, 1990 and renamed City of Famagusta. Later European Seaways as the European Glory. Then Poseidon Lines, as the Sea Wave. 1995 Turkey interests as the Karden. 2003 possibly under charter to Gibraltar Lines renamed Marwa, registered in North Korea
TULLY 115 gross tons. Wooden steamship built by D Sullivan, Manning River New South Wales for James Broadford of Townsville. Later J Broadford & Sons Ltd. Service speed of 7 knots. Purchased via liquidators of J Broadford & Sons (along with the steamer 'Goondi') in July 1926. Wrecked Johnstone River North Queensland 1st September, 1927
UCO 386 gross tons. Lbd: 135'4" x 29' x 13'6". Steel steamship built by Murdoch & Murray Ltd., Port Glasgow as the St Kitts. Acquired 1926, renamed and employed as a salvage tug off Fremantle until 1952 when transferred to the WaratahTug & Salvage Co and renamed St Kitts. Withdrawn from sevice 1963. Scrapped 1965 (Uco - aboriginal word for 'Canoe')
ULOOLOO 3,238 gross tons. Lbd: 332' x 46'6" x 23'. Steel steamship built by W Beardmore & Co Ltd, Dalmuir Glasgow as a cargo vessel. Serice speed of 11 knots. Began as a general cargo carrier servicing most states until diverted to the Queensland sugar trade. Sold 1957 to Cambray Prince S S Co., renamed Clyde Breeze. Early 1962 renamed Hankong Scrapped mid 1962 (Ulooloo - aboriginal word for 'Permanent watercourse')


Ed Ed Ed
URILLA
1907-37
VICTORIAN
1876-95
VICTORIAN images courtesy of State Library Victoria
URILLA 1,965 gross tons. Lbd: 275'7" x 40'4" x 18'7". Steel hulled cargo steamship built by Sir Raylton Dixon & Co, Middlesborough England for this company. Service speed of 9 knots. Where employed is unknown. Sold August 1931 renamed Shun Hong. 1935 renamed Heng Mei and later same year renamed Lee Ping. Sunk as a blockship Whangou River, March 1937 (Urilla is aboriginal word for 'Running water')
VICTORIAN 653 gross tons, 354 net. Lbd: 225'8" x 26'4" x 13'5". Tonnage increased October 1878 to 718 gross, 415 net. Iron steamship built by D W Henderson, Glasgow. Service speed of 14 knots on 30 tons per coal. Sister ship South Australian. Both built in Scotland for the Adelaide-Melbourne passenger trade. Could carry 100 persons and increased to 170 in 1878. Eventually serviced all of this concern's intercolonial passenger services around Australia. The Victorian was gutted by fire in 1895 while laid up in Johnson Bay, Sydney, alongside the steamship - 'Emu' and her (Victorian) sistership the 'South Australian'. Badly gutted she was converted to a hulk and employed in Townsville and later Melbourne. Finally condemned and scuttled outside Port Phillip Heads Victoria, May 8th 1925


Ed Ed
WAKEFIELD
1877-1920
WANDILLA
1912-42
WAKEFIELD image courtesy State Library Queensland
WAKEFIELD 104 gross tons, 53 net. Lbd: 95'2" x 16'5" x 7'4". Compound direct acting vertical steam engine producing 25 horsepower. Iron steamship built by J Fullerton & Co, Paisley for J J Osborne & Partners, Port Adelaide. Cargo vessel making 8 knots. March 1881 J Darling Jnr & others. January 1883 J Reid of Hobart Town. April 1883 Hobart S N & Trading Co. May 1886 J Williams. April 1889 United S S Co., Launceston. March 1896 purchased by Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd., for the shallow rivers and bar harbours work in north Queensland. Sold August 1910 to the British New Guinea Development Co Ltd, registered Brisbane. Register closed April 1920 and vessel hulked
WANDILLA 7,785 gross tons, 4532 net. Lbd; 411'3" x 56'7" x 34'1". Steel hulled twin screw passenger vessel as built by W Beardmore & Co Ltd., Dalmuir for this concern along with sisterships Warilda & Willochra. Twin quadruple expansion engines = 626nhp on 6 coal fired boilers. Her top speed is recorded as 16.36 knots and her average service speed rated as 14.5 knots. Placed upon the Fremantle - Sydney service, carrying 400 passengers. Requisitioned as a troop transport vessel in May 1915 and converted into a hospital ship July 1916. When serving in the status of Hospital ship, she was torpedoed by a U-boat in February 1918. The torpedo failed to explode. Returned to Adelaide Steamship Co in 1919 as the Company believed there was no future in coastal pasenger services at the time. 1921 sold to Burmuda & West Indies SS Co (Furness-Withy) and renamed Fort St George. 1935 Lloyd Triestino acquired and renamed Cesarea. Renamed Arno 1938. Converted into a hospital ship by the Italian forces during WW2. Torpedoed and sunk 40 miles off Tobruk September 10th 1942 (Wandilla is aboriginal word for 'sister' &/or 'baby')


Ed Ed Ed
WARILDA
1912-18
WARILDA all images above courtesy State Library New South Wales
WARILDA
Ed Ed Ed
camouflage hospital ship peacetime
above 1st & 3rd image courtesy Australian War Memorial
centre image courtesy State Library Victoria
WARILDA 7,713 gross tons, 4477 net. Lbd: 411'6" x 56'7" x 34'1". Twin screw steel passenger ship built by W Beardmore & Co Ltd., Dalmuir for this concern along with sisterships Wandilla & Willochra. Twin quadruple expansion engines = 626nhp on 6 coal fired boilers. Her top speed is recorded as 16 knots and her average service speed rated as 14.5 knots. Commenced passenger services out of Fremantle, Western Australia upon arrival 1912. Capable of almost 400 in three classes. Troopship In August 1915 as requisitioned and in 1916 a hospital ship. Between Southampton and Le Havre, in 1918, she was struck by a torpedo that failed to explode. Following that she was involved in a collison at sea resulting in heavy damage. Tragically, in August 1918 she was torpedoed and sunk by U-boat in English Channel with the loss of 130 lives. (Warilda is aboriginal word for 'wattle gum' and 'Place of wild honey')


Ed Ed Ed Ed
WHITE HEATHER
1886-1908
WILLOCHRA
camouflage
WILLOCHRA
1913-29
WILLYAMA
1897-1907
WILLOCHRA camouflage image courtesy State Library Victoria
2nd image courtesy State Library New South Wales
WHITE HEATHER 23 gross tons. Lbd: 45'8" x 13'4" x 5'4". Wooden steamship built by Rock Davis at Blackwall, New South Wales as the Nimrod. Acquired by Adelaide Steamship Co from Askin M Foster in 1902. Utilised as a steam tender on Sydney Harbour. Service speed of 10 knots. November 8th 1908 sank after a collision with the paddle steamer 'Newcastle' off Morts Dock Sydney
WILLOCHRA 7,784 gross tons, 4,532 net. Lbd: 411'7" x 56'7" x 25'1". Steel twin screw passenger ship built by W Beardmore & Co Ltd., Dalmuir for the company along with sisterships Wandilla & Warilda. Twin quadruple expansion engines producing 626nhp and 7,000ihp. Rated at 15.5 knots. Upon completion chartered to Union Steamship Co of New Zealand. Requisitioned by the New Zealand Government November 17th, 1914 for trooping duties, and then by the British Government 1918. Returned to this Company and sold 1919 to the Bermuda & West Indies S S Co Ltd. Renamed Fort Victoria, she sunk in collision with the 'Algonquin', in New York Harbour December 19th 1929. Wreck later blown up to clear channel. In her brief career, she never carried passengers along the Australian coast. (Willochra is aboriginal for 'Place of green bushes')
WILLYAMA 2705 tons. Lbd: 325'5" x 45'1" x 21'. Steel steamship built by W Dobson & Co., Low Walker Glasgow for this concern. Early 1907, off Albany, Western Australia she broke her tailshaft. Taken into that port then towed to South Australian waters where she was grounded at Shark Bay. After her cargo was lightered off, she was run ashore at Marion Bay in the Yorke Peninsula, 13 April 1907. Prevailing rough weather damaged her so badly she was abandoned as a total loss


Ed Ed Ed Ed
WINFIELD
1900-33
WOLLOWRA
1891-28
WORTANNA
1875-1957
WINFIELD image (PRG280_1_29_248) courtesy State Library South Australia
WOLLOWRA images courtesy State Library Victoria
WINFIELD 3,215 gross tons, 2,082 net. Lbd: 330'7" x 45'7" x 16'2". Steel steamship built by W Hamilton & Co., Port Glasgow for E L Hickie, registered London. Of triple expansion engine = 1,200ihp, rated at 9.5 knots. November 1901 purchased by Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd. Predomintly a cargo vessel, and yet she could accomodate 25 passengers. Serviced intrastate on Western Australia ports, being fitted to carry 210 cattle and 600 sheep. Also worked this company's other regular ports of call. 1915, during a chronic grain shortage as a result of of tumultuous rains in the winter of that year, she was diverted to importing grain from the USA on several occassions. With a proven ocean-going record, she was requisitioned by the British Admiralty in 1918 and despatched overseas. Details of her service are seemingly not recorded or just unavailable. May 1919 sold to Greek interests renamed Aristides Bistis. 1921 renamed N Hadzikyriakos. 1924 renamed Chrysanthi. Stranded on the Swedish coast March 2nd 1933, refloated but broken up
WOLLOWRA 2,631 gross tons, 1,678 net. Lbd: 323' x 40'3" x 7'. Steel steamship built by Palmers Shipbuilding & Engineering Co., Jarrow as the Silvio Spaventa of Italian owners. Held a triple expansion engine = 400nhp and rated at 12 knots. Passenger capacity 306. Acquired May 1895 and renamed Wollowra. Upon the advent of the Western Australia 'goldrush' her passenger capacity was increased to approx 470 and, stabling fitted onboard for 39 horses. Later passenger capacity reduced to 161 in comfort and she serviced most, if not all, of this Company's passenger coastal services. October 1915 sold to B W Pritchard of Hong Kong, and several unkown owners since. 1923 of Spanish owners who renamed her Iberia. Scrapped at Norway 1928. (Wollowra is aboriginal for 'eagle')
WORTANNA 191 gross tons. Iron auxilliary motor vessel. Propulsion: Side Lever 2 cylinder 60nhp paddle. Built 1875 by Barclay Curle & Company Glasgow, as the Albatrossfor Captain Mitchell. Constructed as a paddle steamer rigged as a brig. 1876 owned by John Marshall, Melbourne. 1877 J Paterson, Melbourne. 1906 E Newbiggin & Partners. 1909 J Paterson & Co Ltd, Melbourne. 1917-18 J Wardle. 1918 Frank A Verco. 1917-18 new oil engine added and rebuilt as auxiliary 3 mast schooner. Lbd became 131'4" x 21'1" x 10'4". 1920 Victor C Reeves, Hobart. 1921 Cairns Timber Ltd. June 1922 Adelaide Steamship Co. Converted into a Sugar lighter, North Queensland ports. 1942-1945 requisitioned by US Army. Returned to Adelaide Steamship Co and re-engined into twin screw motor vessel diesel power of 228 gross tons. 18th November 1957 struck rocks Mourilyan Harbour, Queensland (en route Mourilyan to Cairns with sugar) and abandoned as a total loss. Sold for scrapping 8th January 1958 (Wortanna is aboriginal for 'the sea')


Ed Ed
YANKALILLA
1907-41
YUNA
1944-70
YANKALILLA image (-PRG280_1_33_167) aground at Wallaroo courtesy State Library South Australia
YANKALILLA 3,477 gross tons. Lbd: 350' x 49'1" x 23'8". Steel steamship built by Richardson, Duck & Co., Stockton for Cardiff owners as the Lady Lewis. Acquired by this concern in May 1912 and renamed. Cargo vessel only and rated at 9 knots. Where she worked is unknown however, she did undergo overseas duties in imported grain from the USA during 1915-16 and under Commonwealth Government control. Returned post war to owners where again, no record of her service is known. Sold 1929 to Swedish interests renamed Bolivia. Finnish owners renamed her Pluto in 1935. Torpedoed and sunk June 28 1941 off Outer Hebrides
YUNA 479 gross tons. Lbd: 143'1" x 30'1" x 14'11". Steel steamship built by Clelands Ltd., Wallsend on Tyne as the Empire Winnie. 1947 renamed Zealandia for unknown owners. Acquired by this concern in 1952 and employed as a tug. 1961 transferred to Operations Company, laid up 1970, sold mid 1972 towed to and scrapped Bunbury West Australia


Ed Ed
YONGALA
1902-11
YONGALA 3,664 gross tons, 1,957 net. Lbd: 350' x 45'2" x 27'2". Sistership 'Grantala'. Steel passenger steamship built by Armstrong Whitworth & Co., Wallsend Newcastle. Held a triple expansion engine = 690 nominal horsepower and 5 single ended boilers. Passenger capacity of 225 and service speed of 14.5 knots, although rated at 15 plus during trials. Specificially designed for the interstate passenger trade on the Australian coast. Vanished with all 120 on board in a cyclone after leaving the Queensland port of Mackay for Townsville on 23 March 1911. The wreck was found by skin divers in the late 1970s, but gave no indication of why she sank. She is now a fantastic diver's attraction as a living reef, encompassing the fact that she is in almost intact condition. (Yongala is aboriginal word meaning 'broadwater', & 'a watering place')


Ed Ed Ed Ed
YONGALA YONGALA YONGALA YONGALA
YONGALA 1st image courtesy of State Library Victoria
2nd & 3rd images State Library South Australia
4th image couresy State Library Queensland


CHARTERED VESSELS
Note: many vessels were chartered by this concern and will be listed in due course


Ed Ed Ed Ed
CLONCURRY
1884-1911
SWAINBY
1941-71
EMPIRE GLADSTONE
1944-50
WANDANA
1913-48
CLONCURRY image courtesy State Library Victoria, WANDANA image courtesy State Library South Australia
EMPIRE GLADSTONE image personal collection
CLONCURRY 2,579 gross tons, 1,639 net. Lbd: 300' x 40' x 24'4". Iron steamship built by W Doxford & Sons, Pallion Sunderland for McIlwraith McEacharn & Co Ltd Melbourne and registered London. Compounded engine = 260hp. (Sistership New Guinea) 1885 - 1888 chartered to British India S.N. Co., London. (3rd January 1890 sunk in collision with the steamship Maplebranch in Suez Bay. Refloated, repaired) May 1892 commenced a service to Noumea transporting live cattle from Gladstone, Queensland, making regular voyages until December that year. Registration transferred to Melbourne 1893. She had limited passenger capacity as steerage and worked the West Australian service from Melbourne, up to 1897 as known, in capacity of 'goldfield' passengers and supplying coal for the Government railways under contract. July 1898 chartered to Adelaide Steamship Co. and chartered again from mid 1899. History unknown since until 1904 when sold to Itaya GK, Japan and renamed Yoneyama Maru. Wrecked at Kinkazan, Japan 12 January 1911
SWAINBY 6,711 gross tons, 9712 dwt. Lb: 131.6 x 17.2 metres. Steel steamship, cargo only built by W Gray & Co., West Hartlepool as the Empire Sunbeam for the Ministry of War Transport, West Hartlepool. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 10 knots. Purchased 1945 by Ropner Shipping Co Ltd, England, renamed and owned from 1945 until 1954. Bareboat chartered by the Australian Shipping Board from 1st March 1948 until 8th December 1948. Bareboat chartered by the Adelaide Steamship Co., South Australia from 11th December 1952 until unknown date. Was still plying the Australian coast during 1953. 1962 sold to Trafalgar S.S. Co, london (Tsavliris Shipping) renamed Newgate. October 1971 scrapped at Istanbul
EMPIRE GLADSTONE 648 gross tons, 344 net. Lb: 129.2 x 17.2 metres. Steel, single screw steamship built by Shipbuilding Corp, Wear Southwick for the Ministry of War Transport (MOWT). Held a triple expansion engine 10.5 knots. Employed mostly in cargo-goods capacity as required. After the war, the ship remained under the ownership of the Ministry of Transport and in 1949 she was managed by Blane Steamships Ltd. She appears to have been re-engined at some time as the Lloyd's Register of 1949-50 indicates that the triple expansion steam engine was built by Markham and Co Ltd, Chesterfield. As indicated, the British Government still had ownership of the ship and the managers had rechartered the vessel to Adelaide Steamship C Ltd about August 1949. Prior to this, the ship was in Australia on 5 May 1949 at Fremantle. On Friday 1 September 1950, departed Whyalla for Sydney and Newcastle with cargo of iron ore for the BHP steelworks in Newcastle as well as 159 Dodge utes. 5th September 1950 at 7.55 pm her stern section hit the reef of Haystack Rock - eight kilometres south east of Merimbula. Stuck hard with the propellor jammed rudder bent, she was unloaded of vehicles by local trawlers over the course of 6 days until 11th September when storm followed and she sank at 36.56S/149.57E. Now a popular dive site
WANDANA 7090 gross tons, 10445 dwt. Lbd:205'7" x 32'6" x 11'8". on: 122745. Steel single screw steamship built for the West Coast Shipping Co by Mackie & Thomson Ltd, in Glasgow, Scotland. Held a Muir & Houston triple expansion engine 156 nhp, 1200 ihp, two coal fired boilers and rated 12 knots. Passenger accommodation - 80 first class, 20 steerage. When ordered by the West Coast Shipping Co she was intended for the Port Adelaide - Murat Bay (West Coast) passenger trade. Well designed for accomodation of 100 first class passengers in staterooms within main deck, The Ladies were catered for with their own room on the promenade deck whilst steerage passengers were exactly that, placed aft. By the time she arrived in May 1913, she performed on such run. November 1913 of the Coast Steamships Ltd and placed on the Port Lincoln - Port Adelaide run and the Wallaroo - Cowell trade in stiff competition to the Adelaide SS Co's 'Morialta'. 1915 was chartered by the Adelaide Steamship Co to run the mail around the Spencer Gulf ports, and did so for the next 12 years. January 1918 re-measured at 964 gross, 514 net tons. November 1922 again re-measured at 974 gross, 502 net. Owned by John Burke & Co, Brisbane 1931-1948 servicing Queensland ports after major accomodation refit. (He even made special accomodation for about 12 natives). Requisitioned by the Royal Australian Navy 1941 and serviced the run to Darwin. Returned to owners post hostilities and scrapped 1948 Wandana means "Along the coast"




TOP of PAGE HOME!

2007-09 ©John E Hoskin/Flotilla-Australia
All Rights Reserved