FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

Ed Ed Ed

AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES
of
YESTERYEAR


IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOS EPHEMERA



QUEENSLAND STEAM SHIPPING Co

The Queensland Steam Shipping Co (QSS) was formed in 1881. Registered in London by the combine of
British India Steam Navigation Co., Charles Parbury, James Burns (later of Burns Philp & Co) and McIlwraith McEacharn
What started as an Incentive from the then Queensland Premier for a satisfactory tender for the State's Mail contract led to the creation of this entity. A fierce rate war ensued with the Australasian Steam Navigation Co., who otherwise enjoyed a monoply on the East coast shipping trade. ASN Co then made an offer in 1886 to sell their fleet but not their land based holdings to QSS Co.
QSS Co did not agree and the rate war continued. 1887 the QSS found agreement with the ASN and the two fleets combined under the new name of the
Australasian United Steam Navigation Co (AUSN)
The Company existed into the 1960s


Ed Ed
HOUSE FLAG FUNNEL


QUEENSLAND STEAM SHIPPING Co
(QSS)

All vessels within the fleet were registered at London except the Gunga, having been registered at Glasgow



Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
ARCHER
1882-1934
BARCOO
1885-1914
COREA
1875-1893
GUNGA
1878-1934
GYMPIE
1883-1905
BARCOO (128541), COREA (65329) & GUNGA (189989) images courtesy State Library Queensland
ARCHER 694 gross tons, 440 net. Lbd: 200'2" x 29' x 13'2". Iron steamship built by London & Glasgow Engineering and Iron Shipbuilding Co., Glasgow for the Queensland Steam Shipping Co., London. Passenger vessel of 95 horsepower and capable of 10 knots. April 1887 of the AUSN Co., registered Brisbane. Sold September 1891 to H W Henderson's Circular Saw Line, registered Sydney. September 1898 sold to J Morrison, Newcastle. Sold January 1901 to the Newcastle and Hunter River S N Co. Sold January 1933 to Stacey and Williams. 1934 converted into a hulk. 1946 scuttled off Sydney Heads
BARCOO 1,505 gross tons, 745 net. Lbd: 250'1" x 36'1" x 15'5". Steel steamship of triple expansion engine making 308 horsepower and built by W Denny & Bros., Dumbarton as a passenger ship for QSS Co. April 1887 of AUSN Co., working almost all of the regular trade routes. Hulked 1911. Sunk by gunfire by Royal Australian Navy 1st February 1924
COREA 606 gross tons, 382 net. Lbd: 170'2" x 25'1" x 18'5". Iron steamship with passenger capacity built by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow for Charles Parbury, London. 1877 transferred to Parbury, Lamb & Co., Sydney. Later of Gilchrist, Parbury & Watt. From her advent at Sydney, she made regular sailings to North Queensland and continued that routine when transferred to Queensland S S Co in January 1882 as Parbury's contribution to the fledgling concern that was QSS Co. Of AUSN Co April 1887. Underwent some voyages to Singapore. August 10th 1893 wrecked upon 'E' Reef, Cape Fair, Cooktown, Queensland
GUNGA 357 gross tons, 198 net. Lbd: 180'6" x 22'1" x 10'8". Iron steamship built as a passenger/cargo vessel by T Wingate & Co., Glasgow for A J Shepherd, Bombay, and registered at Glasgow. November 1881 became the British India S N Co's contribution to the QSS Co. April 1887 of AUSN Co fleet. Renamed Croydon in February 1890. Sold 1898 to W Collins & Sons, Brisbane and renamed Lady Lamington. Acquired by H Carr, Brisbane during 1900 and renamed Moreton. 1934 stripped and hull abandoned upon Bishop's Island, Brisbane
GYMPIE 220 gross tons, 126 net. Lbd: 120'5" x 22'1" x 8'. Steel Passenger-cargo steamship built by Campbelltown Shipbuilding Co, Glasgow for QSS Co. April 1887 of AUSN Co fleet. Designed for the Queensland coastal trade. Sold July 1888 to Huttenbach, Leibert & Co., Penang. Sold 1891 to Nederland Indische S M, Batavia and renamed General Weyler. Acquired by W Kinsey, Singapore 1893. 1897 sold to R. Calvo, Manila. To Cia Maritima, Manilla in May 1902 and renamed Marenduque. Stranded at Cavite P.I. September 26th 1905. Refloated but condemned and broken up later same year


Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
MARANOA
1883-1911
POLLY
1879-89
TALDORA
1881-1914
TRUGANINI
1876-91
WARREGO
1883-1912
MARANOA (1) at Cooktown Queensland image no (31559) courtesy State Library Queensland
TALDORA (14233p) & TRUGANINI (179873p) & WARREGO (API-004-0001-0006p) images courtesy State Library Queensland
MARANOA 1,505 gross tons, 805 net. Lbd: 250'4" x 36'1" x 23'. Steel steamship, passenger-cargo built by W Denny & Bros., Dumbarton for QSS Co. Of Ausn Co April 1887, working their major routes along the east coast. Sold 1911 to Bombay interests for scrapping
POLLY 194 gross tons. Lbd: 120' x 20'7" x 8'5". Iron steamship built by Campbelltown Shipbuilding Co, Glasgow for Andrew McIlwraith. Became McIlwraith McEacharn's contribution to QSS Co. Of Ausn Co April 1887. 17th November 1889 wrecked in Johnstone River North Queensland
TALDORA 232 gross tons, 126 net. Lbd: 130'6" x 23'2" x 8'8". Iron steamship with limited passenger capacity built by Campbelltown Shipbuilding Co., Campbelltown for McIlwraith McEacharn ( another source states built for Parbury, Lamb & Co). 1882 acquired by Queensland Steam Shipping Co. Of AUSN April 1887. Sold December 1913 to W R Black & Co., and converted into a lighter 1914. W R Black & Co subsequently bought out by AUSN Co and returned to their ownership as a lighter. Abandoned-sank Brisbane river 1932
TRUGANINI 203 gross tons, 130 net. Lbd: 120' X 20' X 9'. Iron passenger steamer built by Black & Noble, Montrose for the Tasmanian Steam Navigation Co., Hobart. December 1879 of G W & B B Nicoll, December 1880 G W Nicoll. 1881 April, James Burns (later of Burns Philp & Co) and 1882 transferred to Queensland Steam Shipping Co Ltd., registered London. April 1887 Australasian United Steam Navigation Co., Sydney. Since, had also been chartered by Burns Philp & Co working New Guinea. Whilst on the mail run to New Caledonia, she was wrecked February 11th, 1891 Aneityum, New Hebrides
WARREGO 1,552 gross tons, 867 net. Lbd: 250' x 36'2" x 22'8". Steel steamship built by William Doxford & Sons, Sunderland for QSS Co's Australian passenger coastal trade. Designed especially for the 'trade war' with the ASN Co, Of AUSN April 1887. Laid up and sold 1912 to the Royal Australian Navy and converted into a storeship, towed by ss Coolgardie to Darwin, Northern Territory, October 1913. In 1919, a cyclone blew the old ship, with 600 tons of coal on board, high on the beach near the Darwin wharf. 1942 was subjected to Japanese bombing raids. In 1960, her remains lay on the beach at a spot where a landfill was required for a power station. The ship's remnants were simply covered over, remaining hidden there to this day


As at April 1887 ASN Co's existing fleet of 36 and the 10 vessels of the QSS Co fleet transferred into the entity that was known as
AUSTRALASIAN UNITED STEAM NAVIGATION CO
All vessels' registries became Australian listed


The merger of ASN Co & QSS Co created an integrated flag shown below

Ed
AUSN Co
house flag



Vessels transferred over from Australasian Steam Navigation Co (ASN)
ALEXANDRA, BIRKSGATE, BONITO, BRONZEWING, BUNYIP, CINTRA, CITY of ADELAIDE, CITY of MELBOURNE, CLIO, CURRAJONG, DINGADEE, DOLPHIN, DUGONG, EGMONT, ELAMANG, EURIMBLA, FITZROY, GLANWORTH, GOVERNOR GENERAL, GUNGA, HESKETH, HORNET, JAMES PATERSON, KATOOMBA, LEICHARDT, MANLY, PALMER, PORPOISE, QUEENSLAND, QUIRAING, RANELAGH, ROCKTON, TENTERDEN, VICTORIA, WENTWORTH, YARALLA
At this stage there were two vessels named GUNGA , That of ASN built 1964 whilst QSS' unit built 1878 was renamed Croydon in 1890. The Gunga of the ASN Co was laid up at Fremantle upon the merger, de-commissioned so to speak and consequently hulked 1896.

Ed


AUSTRALASIAN UNITED STEAM NAVIGATION CO
In chronological order
Vessels acquired by or built for since amalgamation


Ed Ed Ed Ed
FRANCIS CADELL
1866-98
BULIMBA (1)
1882-1933
WAROONGA
1882-1926
ARAMAC
1889-1925
FRANCIS CADELL (63626), BULIMBA (171913) & WAROONGA (151022) images courtesy State Library Queensland
ARAMAC image personal collection
FRANCIS CADELL 140 gross tons. Lbd: 120' x 19'9" x 6'5". Iron hulled, single masted Paddle steamer built in sections at London, shipped to Port Adelaide and assembled 1866. Had several unknown owners until acquired by AUSN in 1888. Worked as a tender at Burketown, where her depth allowed her to cross the bar that otherwise kept most vessels away. Serviced the Gulf of Carpentaria until wrecked near Burketown Queensland 1898
BULIMBA (1) 2,510 gross tons, 1,607 net. Lbd: 315'8" x 38'2" x 17'3". Steel steamship, compounded engines of 300 horsepower built by A & J Inglis, Glasgow for the British India Associated Steamers Ltd., Glasgow. Designed for their England - Brisbane mail run line and became a frequent 'coastal' passenger vessel up to and since the formation of the AUSN Co. 1889 officially of the fleet of AUSN Co., Brisbane. January 1900 returned to British India S N Co. 1922 sold to Eng Hup & Co., Shanghai and scrapped at that seaport in 1933
WAROONGA 2,513 gross tons, 1,609 net. Lbd: 315'8" x 38'2" x 25'1". Steel steamship, compounded engines of 300 horsepower built by A & J Inglis, Glasgow for the British India Associated Steamers Ltd., Glasgow. As her sistership in the Bulimba, she was on the England - Australia mail run but became a frequent coastal passenger vessel. 1889 officially transferred to the fleet of AUSN Co., Brisbane. January 1900 returned to British India S N Co. 1913 sold to Kishimoto Shokai Goshi Kaisha and renamed Bansai Maru. Sold to K Kusakabe 1917. Sold 1920 to Kabafuto K K. Scrapped Japan 1926
ARAMAC 2,114 gross tons, 1,192 net. Lbd: 300' x 37'1" x 17'6". Steel steamship built by W Denny & Bros., Dumbarton Glasgow for AUSN. Power source: Triple expansion making 334 horsepower, two double ended coal fired boilers. Built as a passenger ship working the Melbourne - North Queensland trade. Sold to H P Stacey of Sydney 19th June 1925 and converted into a hulk. Scuttled off Sydney Heads 1929-30. Sistership to Arawatta & Wodonga


Ed Ed Ed Ed
ARAWATTA
1889-1924
WODONGA
1890-1924
CROYDON
1864-1912
REDBANK
1863-1901
ARAWATTA & WODONGA image personal collection
CROYDON as GUNGA (189989) image courtesy State Library Queensland
ARAWATTA 2,114 gross tons, 1,192 net. Lbd: 300' x 37'1" x 17'6". Steel steamship built by W Denny & Bros., Dumbarton Glasgow for AUSN. Power source: Triple expansion engine producing 274 horsepower, two double ended coal fired boilers. Built as a passenger ship working the main routes of the company. Sold 28th April 1924 to W Waugh of Sydney who converted her into a hulk. Scuttled off Sydney Heads September 14th 1936. Sistership to Aramac & Wodonga
WODONGA 2,341 gross tons, 1,473 net. Lbd: 310'2" x 39'1" x 14'8". Steel steamship built by W Denny & Bros., Dumbarton Glasgow for AUSN. Power source: Triple expansion engine producing 379 horsepower, two double ended coal fired boilers. Built as a passenger ship working the Melbourne - North Queensland trade. Sold May 1924 to W Waugh of Sydney who converted her into a hulk. Ended at anchor in the ‘disposal area’ Berry's Bay, Sydney, stripped and derelect until scuttled off Sydney Heads 30 April 1931, Sistership to Arawatta & Aramac
CROYDON 357 gross tons, 198 net. Lbd: 180'6" x 22'1" x 10'8". Iron steamship built as the 'Gunga', a passenger/cargo vessel constructed at the yard of T Wingate & Co., Glasgow for A J Shepherd, Bombay, and registered at Glasgow. November 1881 became the British India S N Co's contribution to the QSS Co. April 1887 of AUSN Co fleet. Renamed Croydon in February 1890. Sold 1898 to W Collins & Sons, Brisbane and renamed Lady Lamington. Acquired by H Carr, Brisbane during 1900 and renamed Moreton. 1934 stripped and hull abandoned upon Bishop's Island, Brisbane
REDBANK 79 gross tons. Lbd: 105'4" x 16'2" x 6'2". Wooden steamship built by T S Rountree, Balmain. Several unknown owners until acquired by AUSN in 1896. Disposed of 1901 and fate unknown

Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
PAROO
1897-1944
PILBURRA
1897-1928
MAREEBA (1)
as Harport
MAREEBA (1)
1898-1908
TINANA
1901-50
PAROO (b43257), PILBURRA (b36251) & MAREEBA (1) sketch (b45902) images courtesy State Library Victoria
MAREEBA (1) as Harport (a637624r) courtesy State Livrary New South Wales
TINANA (90652) image courtesy State Library Queensland
PAROO 2,665 gross tons, 1,719 net. Lbd: 315'6" x 40'1" x 14'6". Built by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow originally named Cape Leeuwin for H C Sleigh's 'phantom Company' known as Australian Transport Co., however purchased before completion by AUSN Co. Renamed Paroo and used as a passenger vessel melbourne - Fremantle until sold August 1903 to the West Australian S N Co Ltd., Fremantle. Here she serviced the West Australian coastal ports including the run to SIngapore. Sold 1917 to Persian Gulf S N Co., Bombay and renamed Iran. 1922 sold to Okuda Yeikichi of Japan and renamed Mikage Maru. Sold 1926 to Muso Kisen K K. 24th October 1944 at 33N., 125E (S E of Korea) she was torpedoed and sunk by the USS Croaker
PILBURRA 2,664 gross tons, 1,718 net. Lbd: 315'5" x 40'1" x 14'6". Built by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow and originally named Cape Otway for H C Sleigh's 'phantom Company' known as Australian Transport Co., Purchased before completion by AUSN Co. Not renamed until July 1898. Used as a passenger vessel on most Australian coastal runs. Completed one voyage to Canada with prospectors heading for the Klondyke. Also worked a few voyages across the pacific to Fiji. Cargo vessel only from 1910. Sold 1915 to Sun Shipping Co., and renamed Sunstream. Sold 1917 to Persian Gulf S N Co., Bombay and renamed Shustar. 1924 sold to Government of Hedjaz and renamed Radwa. Laid up at Jeddah for some unknown time period until declared non-commercial and towed to Savonia Italy for demolition purposes in July 1928
MAREEBA (1) 1,747 gross tons. Lbd: 263'8" x 39'3" x 17'1'. Built by S P Austin & Sons, Sunderland as the Harport for J & C Harrison. Purchased by AUSN 1899 and renamed Mareeba 1900. Wrecked 28th July 1908 off Stockton Beach, near Newcastle and abandoned as a total loss 31st July 1908
TINANA 808 gross tons. Lbd: 210' x 31' x 13'2". Built by Caledon Shipbuilding Co., Dundee as a cargo vessel. Sold 3rd July 1925 to W Collins & Sons, Brisbane. Sold 1933 to John Burke & Co., Brisbane. She ran the Sydney, Brisbane & Cooktown run.1946 sold to Foo Shin Steamship Co., Shanghai and renamed Foo Shin. 1947 sold to Ta Pei S N Co and renamed Ta Pei. 1949 sold to Tai Chong Hsiang and renamed Yung Yao. Appeared on Lloyd's shipping register in 1950 as Tinana but deleted owing to lack of real evidence. Fate unknown

Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
MOIRA
1901-44
MILDURA (1)
1901-08
TAY
1901-31
KURANDA
1901-36
WYANDRA
1902-26
MOIRA image (a638558) & MILDURA image (a638523r.jpg) courtesy State Library New South Wales
TAY (24358) courtesy State Library Queensland
KURANDA & WYANDRA images personal collection
MOIRA 2184 gross tons. Lbd: 301' x 42'2" x 13'2". Cargo vessel built by W Denny & Bros., Dumbarton. Sold 1926 to Toyo Kaiun K K and renamed Toyei Maru. Sold to Oginumo K K in 1928 renamed Toei Maru. Torpedoed and sunk by the U.S. submarine Tambor off Ryukyu Islands on 13th August 1944
MILDURA (1) 2,217 gross tons. Lbd: 300'4" x 42'1" x 13'8". Built J Reid & Co., Port Glasgow. Wrecked North West Cape, Western Australia March 12th 1907 whilst carrying livestock. Finally abandoned as a total loss April 1908
TAY 306 gross tons. Lbd: 155' x 28' x 8'. Built by Caledon Shipbuilding Co., Dundee as a short sea trader for this concern. Driven ashore at MacKay Queensland during a great cyclone that devasted the area in January 1918. Refloated and continued trade until sold March 1930 to T S Williamson of Hong Kong. Sold again January 1931 to Nam Chong Co. Records end and presumed broken up
KURANDA 928 gross tons. Lbd: 200' x 32'1" x 10'2". Short sea coastal vessel built by Gourlay Bros., Dundee. Supposedly had 2 funnels upon completion. Sold December 1926 to Teo Hoo Lye of Singapore. Sold 1935 to Straits Steamship Co., Singapore. Scrapped July 1936
WYANDRA 4,058 gross tons. Lbd: 340'6" x 45'9" x 17'5". Passenger vessel built by A Stephen & Sons., Glasgow for this concern. Sold 1925 to Japanese shipbreakers and demolition began 9th February 1926


Ed Ed
KANOWNA
1903-29

Ed Ed Ed Ed
KANOWNA
Cordingley
KANOWNA
J Taylor
KANOWNA KANOWNA
KANOWNA 6,942 gross tons. Lbd: 415'6"x 52'2" x 28'6". Twin screw passenger steamship built by W Denny & Sons, Dumbarton. Held in great esteem by the many who sailed her. Serviced between Adelaide, melbourne Sydney and Brisbane. As A61 Anzac troop transport, she completed her duties during the 'great war'. Continued her coastal passenger service until 1929 when she struck Corsairs rock in the Ansar group off Wilson's Promontory Victoria and sank the following day 8th February 1929. All saved. Sistership Kyarra

Ed Ed
KANOWNA
1903-29
KYARRA
1903-18
All KANOWNA & KYARRA postcards above personal collection

Ed Ed Ed Ed
KYARRA
1903-18
BINGERA (1)
1905-27
KYARRA & BINGERA (1) postcards personal collection
KYARRA 6,953 gross tons. Lbd: 415'5" x 52'2" x 28'6". Twin screw passenger ship built by W Denny & Sons, Dumbarton. As a hospital ship, she was torpedoed and sunk, south of Anvil Point in the English Channel 26th May 1918. Six crew perished
BINGERA (1) 2,092 gross tons. Lbd: 300'3" x 40'8" x 17'9". Triple expansion engines as from 1914, and built 1905 with twin screw propulsion at Belfast by Workman, Clark & Co. Not a long life on the Australian coastal runs as she was laid up at Brisbane fron 1922 and gradually 'gutted' of her strippings from 1924 until 1927. In 1928 the hull was beached upon Bishop's Island, Brisbane. During the second World War the hull was partial cut up for steel, and the remains finally demolished in 1961


Ed Ed Ed Ed
WASP
1905-41
SUVA
1906-41
AMRA
1890-1929
WYREEMA
1908-58
SUVA, AMRA & WYREEMA images personal collection
WASP 24 gross tons. Lbd: 53'6" x 12'2" x 4'8". Built at Sydney in 1905 by unknown constructors as a wooden steamship. Very little known of her career. She was sold to Morts Dock and Engineering Co Ltd., Balmain Sydney in 1918 and broken up in 1941
SUVA 2,229 gross tons. Lbd: 300'3" x 41'1" x 11'8". Passenger vessel built by Workman, Clark & Co., Belfast. Sold to Madrigal and Co., Manilla July 1928 and renamed Sirius. December 1929 sold to Fernandez Bros., and renamed Bohol. Sunk by Japanese air attack at Manilla in December 1941
AMRA 535 gross tons. Lbd: 190' x 29' x 11'6". built by Ailsa Shipbuilding Co., Troon for the British India S N Co. Purchased by this concern February 1907. Sold May 1923 to Moona Kader Sultan, of Singapore. Scrapping in Hong Kong began May 1929
WYREEMA 6,338 gross tons. Lbd: 400'4" x 54'2" x 30'6". Passenger vessel built by Alexander Stephen & Sons of Glasgow in 1908. She served on the east coast Trunk Route from Melbourne to Cooktown until 1925, with only a brief stint at the end of WW1 as a trooper. Unable to run profitably against rail competition she was laid up in September 1925 pending sale. No buyer came forward and she returned to her old route 10 months later. Shortly afterwards an offer was received and accepted from Lloyd Braziliero in July 1926. She was renamed Pedro 1 and sailed for Rio de Janiero. 1935 renamed Dom Pedro 1 by same owners. She plied the South American coast until 1958 when broken up at Rio De Janeiro

Ed Ed Ed Ed
MALLINA
1909-44
LEVUKA
1910-63
INDARRA
1912-42
CENTIPEDE
1913-60
LEVUKA & INDARRA images personal collection
MALLINA 3213 gross tons. Lbd: 330'5" x 44'3" x 23'3". Built by Harland & Wolff Belfast. Sold in March 1929 to Machida Shokai K K. Japan renamed Seiko Maru. Sold 1935 to Kita Nippon K K and renamed Siberia Maru. Eventually air bombed in the Sulu Sea on 24th Spetember, 1944
LEVUKA 6129 gross tons. Lbd: 400'4" x 55' x 30'7". Twin screw passenger vessel built by A Stephens & Sons, Glasgow for AUSN Co.Ltd. Traded to the Pacific islands especially Fiji. Sold to Lloyd Brasileiro, South America in July 1926 and renamed Pedro II & Dom Pedro II in 1935. Scrapped at Rio de Janeiro 1958
INDARRA 9,735 gross tons. Lbd: 451' x 60'1" x 37'4". Twin screw 2 funnel passenger ship built by W Denny & Bros., Dumbarton. Carried 470 passengers. Sold August 1920 to Lloyd Royal Belge, renamed Pays De Waes. Repossessed during 1923 by AUSN Co and old to Osaka Shosen Kaisha, Japan. Renamed Horai Maru. Sunk in Sunda Strait by American aircraft 1st March 1942 at 5.56 S., 106.12 E
CENTIPEDE 133 gross tons. Lbd: 82' x 22'2" x 8'8". Steel hulled steam powered tug. Built at the Brisbane workshops of Australasian United S N Co in 1913. Sold to Hetherington & Rylance, Brisbane 1923. Ownership records vague at least, although she was rebuilt and re-engined 1958-60 the by Moreton Tug & Lighterage Co., Brisbane. She was still in service 1976 on the Brisbane River as a motor driven powered lighter. Scuttled February 2, 1990 at Curtin Artificial Reef, Moreton Bay


Ed Ed Ed Ed
MACKARRA
1919-1954
MACUMBA
1919-1943
MILDURA (11)
1920-54
MAREEBA (11)
1921-41
MACKARRA image courtesy State Library Victoria
MACUMBA postcard personal collection
MILDURA (11) image (06992r) courtesy State Library New South Wales
MAREEBA (11) image as the ECHUCA personal collection
MACKARRA 2515 gross tons. Lbd: 303' x 43' x 20'7". Built by Charles Hill & Son, Bristol under orders of the Shipping Controller, England. Purchased on the stocks by this concern in 1919. 1941 sold to James Patrick & Co, Melbourne, renamed Cardross (their third vessel of this name). 1954 renamed Ardross for voyage to Japanese breakers, and scrapped at Osaka, Japan
MACUMBA 2,525 gross tons. Lbd: 303' x 43' x 20'7". Built by Charles Hill & Son, Bristol under orders of the Shipping Controller, England. Purchased on the stocks by this concern in 1919. Attacked and sunk by Japanese aircraft on 6 August 1943 when bound from Brisbane to Darwin
MILDURA (11) 3,478 gross tons. Lbd: 331' x 47'7" x 26'1". Cargo vessel built at the State Dockyard, Walsh Island, Newcastle New South Wales for Australian Government's Commonwealth Government line as the Enoggera. Sold 1924 to AUSN Co renamed Mildura in December of that year. Served WW2. July 1951 sold for scrapping purposes and remained laid up on Sydney Harbour until towed to Hong Kong 1954 and demolished
MAREEBA (11) 3363 gross tons. Lbd: 332'7" x 47'1" x 27'1". Cargo vessel built by Walkers Ltd., Maryborough Queensland for Australian Government's Commonwealth Government line as the Echuca. Sold 1924 to AUSN Co renamed Mareeba in January 1925. Sunk by the German raider Kormoran 26 June 1941 in the Indian Ocean


Ed Ed Ed Ed
BARALABA
Brisbane 1936
BARALABA
1921-1956
MILORA
1921-35
MARANOA (11)
1921-40
BARALABA (128542 & 178329) images courtesy State Library Queensland
MILORA (b41602) & MARANOA (11) (b38625) images courtesy State Library Victoria
BARALABA 998 gross tons. Lbd: 211'6" x 33'9" x 13'1". Built at by Stettiner Oderwerke, Stettin, Germany as the Nurnburg for Stettiner Neue Dampfer A G., Stettin. Sold in August 1924 to A/S Solskin, Oslo and renamed Solskin. Purchased by AUSN Co in January 1925 and renamed Baralaba. May 1942, under U S Small Ships Command, she was camouflaged and fitted for a special voyage. Still a mystery. Returned to her owners in February 1943 and sold to San Ernesto Steamship Co., Hong Kong with John Manners as managers. Sold February 1952 to Wallem & Co and renamed Brenda. 1956 sold to Cambodian interests, being renamed Bayon. Records end
MILORA 3,346 gross tons, 1919 net. Lbd: 331' x 47'9" x 23'6". Built at the Williamstown Dockyard, Victoria for Australian Government's Commonwealth Government line as the Emita. Sold December 1925 to AUSN Co renamed Milora in January 1927. Inward bound from Newcastle with coal, she ran ashore and wrecked on Rondella Reef off Point Lonsdale Victoria on 21st September 1934. Refloated, declared a constructive loss, stripped of all fittings and scuttled off Torquay Victoria on March 8th 1935
MARANOA (11) 3,359 gross tons. Cargo vessel built at the State Dockyard, Walsh Island, Newcastle New South Wales for Australian Government's Commonwealth Government line as the Eromanga. December 1925 sold to the AUSN Co and renamed Maranoa. Sold November 1934 to unknown Japanses buyers and handed over on 24th January 1935 at Kobe. Immediately resold to Johan Gran and renamed Mione. February 1937 sold to V K Soong. East bound from Nauru to Japan she foundered on 26th January 1940


Ed Ed Ed
MURADA
1921-54
MUNGANA
1920-51
BINGERA (11)
1935-88
MURADA (b39040) & MUNGANA (b38631) images courtesy State Library Victoria
BINGERA (11) image (157969p) courtesy State Library Queensland
MURADA 3,345 gross tons. Lbd: 331' x 47'9" x 23'6". Cargo vessel built at the Commonwealth Dockyard Williamstown Victoria for Australian Government's Commonwealth Government line as the Erriba. Sold 1926 to AUSN Co and renamed Murada in January 1927. Served WW2 surviving a submarine attack in 1942. Sold June 1947 to Cia Atalaya de Naviera, Panama and renamed Nymphe. Renamed Hellenic Nymphe soon after. Demolition began at Spezia on 5th February 1954
MUNGANA 3351 gross tons. Built Walsh Island Newcastle in the State Dockyard for the Australian Government's Commonwealth Government line as the Eurelia. Sold 1926 to AUSN Co renamed Mungana. Served WW2. Sold January 1951 for scrapping purposes and duly scrapped at Hong Kong
BINGERA (11) 954 gross tons. Lbd: 207'2" x 34'1" x 13'1" (61 x 10.4 metres). Single screw, diesel engine. B&W oil 4SA 6cy 900bhp. 10 knots. Built by W Denny & Bros., Dumbarton. The first vessel built for AUSN Co since the Indarra in 1912. Her port of registry was Bundaberg, the hub of sugar transport and she was considered the 'sweetest' ship in the fleet. Capable of limited passenger capacity, she worked the Maryborough, Townsville and Brisbane ports. Sold February 1948 and delivered 5th March 1948 to Imperial Chemicals Industries of Australia and New Zealand Ltd. Renamed Taranui, she was placed on the coast running explosives. Managed by Howard Smith Ltd on behalf of ICI. 1963 sold to South Pacific Co., Suva Fiji. 1971 sold to Cia de Naviera Louise S A Panama (Ednasa Co) and renamed Locolina. 1978 of Straits Chartering and renamed Kah Wah. 1978 renamed Pattana, regisered Suva Fiji. Deleted from Lloyds registry 1988


Ed Ed Ed Ed
ORMISTON
1922-1957
ORMISTON
Eagle Wharf QLD
ORMISTON
taken 1936
ORMISTON
beneath the coathanger
ORMISTON 3rd (65252) & 4th (59906) images courtesy State Library Queensland
ORMISTON 5815 gross tons. Lbd: 390'8" x 55'2" x 28'1". Passenger vessel built by A Stephens & Sons, Glasgow as the Famaka for Khedivial Mail Steamship & Graving Dock Co. From 1927 she was under charter by AUSN Co and renamed Ormiston. Worked the trunk line of the east coast ports of Australia. Ownership changed 1933 to Eastern Traders Ltd., Hong Kong and later in 1933 and changed again to St Mary Axe Securities Ltd., London. All the while remaining under charter. Purchased outright by AUSN Co in 1936 with title finally being transferred in 1939. Acquisitioned for the war effort and torpedoed off Coffs Harbour 1943. Survived, repaired and completed War duty. Handed back to owners 1946. 1955 sold to Typaldos Bros., Grece and renamed Atlantic. 1956 renamed Atlanticos. Arrived at Spezia 30th November 1957 for demolition purposes. Sistership Orungal

Ed Ed Ed Ed
ORUNGAL
1923-1940
ORUNGAL
as FEZARA
BABINDA
1936-2000
BABINDA
Bundaberg
ORUNGAL lettercard personal collection
PAROO & PILBURRA images courtesy State Library Victoria
ORUNGAL 5,826 gross tons. Lbd: 390'6" x 55'2" x 28'1". Passenger vessel built by A Stephens & Sons, Glasgow as the Fezara for Khedivial Mail Steamship & Graving Dock Co. From 1927 she was under charter by AUSN Co and renamed Orungal. Worked the trunk line of the east coast ports of Australia. Ownership changed in 1933 to Eastern Traders Ltd., Hong Kong and later in 1933 and changed again to St Mary Axe Securities Ltd., London. All the while remaining under charter. Purchased outright by AUSN Co in 1936 with title finally being transferred in 1939. 21st November 1940 she ran aground at Barwon Heads Victoria. Salvage operations commenced quickly until, on December 13th a series of explosions erupted from the engine room and soon she was completely ablaze. Declared a total loss
BABINDA 659 gross tons. Lbd: 175'2" x 30'1" X 10'8". Cargo vessel built by Scott & Sons, Bowling. She worked the Queensland trade in the sugar and timber industries. Served WW2. Sold June 1955 to South Pacific Shipping Co., Suva Fiji. Sold November 1962 to Transportes Malayos S A Panama. 1965 sold to Indonesian Republic. 1969 renamed Tamiang. Sold 1975 to PTPN Puta Samudra and renamed Bintang Sumudra 1V. Scrapped 2000


Ed Ed Ed Ed
CORINDA
1937-1971
BURANDA
1918-1955
BULIMBA (11)
1928-48
CORAMBA
1948-76
CORINDA image personal collection
BURANDA (9696), & CORAMBA (129465) images courtesy State Library Queensland
CORINDA 3376 gross tons. Lbd: 345'6" x 48'2" x 21'. Built by Scott & Sons, Bowling. Sold March 1961 to Power Navigation Co., Hong Kong and renamed Silver Gulf. Sold later in 1961 to Continental Navigation & Enterprises Ltd and renamed Fortune Wind. Sold October 1970 to Sincere Navigation Co. Sold for scrapping purposes at China 1971
BURANDA 685 tons. Lbd: 180'8" x 28'7" x 12'6". Built by Wortelboer & Co., Delfzijl as the Solholm. Acquired by Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd in June 1921 and renamed Nalpa. Chartered by AUSN in 1934 and subsequently purchased December 1937 and renamed Buranda. 1946 sold to Cambray Prince Steamship Co., Hong Kong. Sold later in 1946 to Chung Foo Steamship Co., Hong Kong and renamed Chung Foo. No Lloyd's of London registry since 1955, presumed scrapped
BULIMBA (11) 739 gross tons. Lbd: 180' x 31'1" x 11'3". Steel steamship built by Grangemouth Dockyard Co., Grangemouth for Burns Philp & Co Ltd., London and there registered as the Mirani. Worked the New Guinea coast. Sold in 1941 to AUSN Co and renamed Bulimba. Requisitioned by USA small ships fleet command in 1942 who made return effort to owners 1945. AUSN Co refused offer and she was eventually sold by the Australian Government in September 1946 to Rymo Shipping of Shanghai, with registry at Panama. Sold January 1947 to South China Navigation Co., Shanghai and renamed Hwa Loong. Wrecked the following year, September 27th on Hainan Island off China
CORAMBA 3551 gross tons. Lbd: 381'4" x 51'1" x 20'1". (116.57x15.85m) Cargo vessel built by Short Bros, Sunderland for this concern. Sold February 1961 to McIlwraith McEacharn and renamed Koomilya in May of that year. Sold November 1966 to San Francisco Steamship Co., Hong Kong (John Manners & Co as managers) and renamed San Francisco. Sold 1970 to Haisen Navifation Co, Panama and renamed High Star. Sold to An Lee Navigation Co., Panama in 1974. Scrapped at Kaohsiung 1976


Ed Ed
CALOUNDRA
1950-75
CANBERRA / CRONULLA
1948-63
CALOUNDRA & CANBERRA images personal collection
CALOUNDRA 4,053 gross tons. Lbd: 403'4" x 53'2" x 22'7". (122.93 x 16.2 metres) General cargo design steamship, coal fired. Built by the Broken Hill Proprietary Ltd, Whyalla shipyard in South Australia for the Australian Shipping Board. July 1950 sold to Australasian Untited Steam Navigation Co (AUSN) and in November of that year renamed Caloundra. March 1961 Sold to Broken Hill Proprietary Co Ltd (BHP) and renamed Iron Warrior. Also converted from coal to oil as fuel. February 1975 sold to Hi-Firm Corp., Hong Kong and left Newcastle under tow in May for sale to shipbreakers at Kaohsiung whre demolition began July 1975
CANBERRA / CRONULLA 2,330 gross tons. Lbd: 317'6" x 45'2" x 17'8". Cargo vessel built by Pickersgill & Sons, Sunderland as the Admiral Fraser for Phillips, Anderson & Co. Purchased by this concern in May 1954 and renamed when handed over in October to Canberra. Renamed Cronulla in 1958 to free up her former name for P & O's planned passenger liner since known as Canberra. Sold February 1961 to John Manners & Co., Hong Kong. Blown ashore in a severe Typhon at Hong Kong during September 1962 and gradually broken up where she lay up to 1963. Ironically, where John Manners & Co were predominantly shipbrokers/managers, here then an outright purchase came to grief much too soon


Ed Ed Ed
FORCEFUL
1925-Active
CORINGA, FORCEFUL & CARLOCK
CARLOCK
later KARLOCK
1929
All 3 images L to R (16970, 129472 & 178312) courtesy State Library Queensland
FORCEFUL Tug. Current Status: Queensland Maritime Museum, Brisbane. Vessel itself donated by AUSN Co
CARLOCK Tug. 327 gross tons. Lbd: 127'7" x 27'1" x 13'6". Steam triple expansion and re-engined 1965. was of the AUSN Co fleet



Ed Ed Ed
BRISBANE DRY DOCK
BRISBANE FLOODS
1893
AUSN Wharves
Sydney
BRISBANE DRY DOCK & BRISBANE FLOODS images courtesy State Library Queensland
AUSN Wharves postcard personal collection
BRISBANE DRY DOCK circa 1890 Looks to be AUSN vessel
BRISBANE FLOODS Howard Smith vessel Gabo taking an unscheduled river cruise
BRISBANE FLOODS Classic lineup


CHARTERED & or MANAGED VESSELS
Ed Ed Ed Ed
MOURILYAN
ALBANY
HERBERT
BURWAH
1883-1905+
HERBERT image personal collection
MOURILYAN 1,349 gross tons. 221 feet long. Built by Alexander Stephen & Sons, Glasgow in 1928. The twin screw steamship "Mourilyan" was to run a feeder passenger service from Townsville to the northern Queensland ports. She was found to be of too deep a draught for some of the river ports to which she was meant to run. She was chartered to AUSN to operate their Townsville/Cairns feeder service to that Company's main trunk line route from Townsville to Melbourne. AUSN then placed one of their ships on the intended "Mourilyan" route. After that charter she saw sevice Melbourne to Warnambool, then variously in Queensland before being sold to the Northern Steamship Co.. a New Zealand concern in 1923, being renamed Matangi. Sold to another New Zealand Company, the Anchor Line, in 1929. Unfit for further service she was laid up in 1950 and broken up over the next seven years. (source - dvjh)
ALBANY Built in England as the Claud Hamilton 800 tons. Steamer square rigged on the foremast and fore and aft on her main and mizzen, clipper bow. Carried 76 passengers. Owned by the Panama Line, then McMeckan & Blackwood (in 1875), Adelaide Steamship Co. in 1881 bought and renamed her ALBANY and she was lengthened and given a straight stem. Wrecked 28th March 1905 off Nambucca Heads NSW whilst under AUSN Co (Source R. Parsons 'Steamers in the South")
HERBERT 233 gross tons. Lbd: 110'5" x 25' x 7'2.5". Built McIntyre & Co Hebbern-on-Tyne. Owners William Villiers Brown of Townsville and partner in Aplin, Brown & Co, reg in Brisbane. 1888 John Williams & reg., Launceston. 1889 United S S Co Ltd., Tasmania. 1896 Adelaide Steamship Co. 1899 refitted tonnage became 302 gross. Lbd: 140'1" x 25' x 7'3". Sold 1932 for demolition and scrapped remains scuttled off Cape Cleveland 1933
Chartered same time as the steamship 'Albany' circa 1902 from adelaide steamship for the Queensland sugar contract
BURWAH 982 tons. Of Howard Smith Ltd. 1905 sold to Japan renamed Ohio No. 3
circa 1902 under charter to AUSN for the Queensland sugar trade


Ed Ed Ed Ed
DIMBOOLA
1912-53
DAWN
1876-1928
FLINDERS
1874-1928
KINDUR
1928-56
DIMBOOLA image personal collection, FLINDERS dockside at Port Adelaide early postcard
KINDUR image courtesy of R Priest and available for sale online at the Nautical Association of Australia
DIMBOOLA 3,886 gross tons, 2112 net. Lbd: 360'2" x 50'1" x 23'6". single screw steamship built by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson at Newcastle-on-Tyne as a passenger cargo vessel for the Melbourne Steamship Co Ltd. Of quadruple expansion engines = 350nhp with 3 single ended coal-fired boilers, 210psi. Serviced the Melbourne Fremantle trade. 1930 chartered out to Australiasian United S N Co as a temporary replacement for their engine-troubled Orungal. 1932 serviced the east coast 'trunk' line ports taking in North- west coast of Tasmania at the nadir of the loop up to Brisbane, Queensland. mid 1933 again placed on the Melbourne - Fremantle run until August 1935 when sold to Singapore interests and renamed Hong Siang. Since (probable post war) she had been operating under the auspices of Ministry Of Transport UK until acquired outright 1952 and renamed Empire Longford. Scrapped in 1953
DAWN 522 gross tons, 328 net. Lbd: 164'6" x 24' x 18'4". Iron steamship built by W T Pile & Co., Sunderland England for the Portland & Belfast S N Co., Portland Victoria. Passenger - cargo vessel, compounded engine producing 75 nhp. October 1885 owned by the Belfast & Koroit S N Co., Port Fairy Victoria for their Western ports trade. March 1896 owned by W Howard Smith & Sons Ltd., Melbourne. Sunk in a collision with the Macedon. (also of the fleet) on March 25th 1879 in the Yarra River Melbourne. The hole was 'patched' and she was refloated. repaired and resumed normal duties. Serviced many ports around Australia as the South Australian coast, and the Esperance to Albany mail run and took in Queensland trade routes. Was chartered by the Australasian United S N Co from October 1906 on the Queensland coastal run. May 1908 sold to E F Allen of Samoa and of Samoa Shipping Trading Co Ltd 1911. Scuttled 3rd March 1928 off Fiji
FLINDERS 489 gross tons, 278 net. Lbd: 195'7" x 25' x 12'1". Iron steamship built by J Laing, Sunderland as a passenger/cargo vessel for Thomas Elder & Partners., Port Adelaide. Held compounded engine producing 90 horsepower. Arrived at Port Adelaide 14 March 1875. Elder and others had established a limited liability Company with 'Flinders' in the forefront and placed her upon the run to Melbourne. December 1876 of the Spencer's Gulf Steamship Co Ltd working the Spencer Gulf as well as the successful Melbourne run. The success in fact led to the formation of the Adelaide Steam Ship Company of which T Elder and others within Spencer's Gulf Steamship Co Ltd were shareholders. During 1876 a conflict of interests between Management & major shareholders of the Adelaide S S Co with 'Flinders' owners, however closely aligned, saw 'Flinders' removed from the Melbourne run. Acquired 1886 by the Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd and made the occassional 'intercolonial' voyages. Sold November 1900 to W Collins & Sons Ltd., Brisbane and employed on the Brisbane - Maryborough - Bundaberg run. At times was chartered to the Australasian United S N Co., Sydney. Laid up during 1925 and register finally closed 1928 upon advice the vessel had been demolished
KINDUR1,288 gross tons. Lbd: 230' x 38' x 151'3". Cargo vessel built at the Ayrshire Dockyard, Scotland for the Newcastle & Hunter River S N Co. September 1930 short-term chartered out to J Patrick & Co (Patrick Steamships) and placed on the Sydney - Brisbane run until as likely October. August 14 1934 chartered out to AUSN for a 5 month period in carrying timber from Brisbane to Sydney and chartered again for four months from 31 July 1935. Purchased by R.W. Miller and Company in July 1956 and quickly sold in September 1956 to be broken up


Ed Ed Ed Ed
PROVIDENCE A
COOMBAR
1912-56
..........
..........
PROVIDENCE A artwork image (Gregory) courtesy National Library of Australia, COOMBAR image seen here at South Wharf, Melbourne courtesy State Library Victoria
PROVIDENCE A As known, former Norwegian ship under ownership/control of Christian Kaad of Fiji. Bought out by Burns Philp along with Robbie & Co and formed as a subsidiary Company operaing ad Robbie, Kaad & Co. Trade was specificially Suva-Levuka-Rotuma-Sydney return in the banana trade from Fiji
COOMBAR 594 gross tons. Lbd: 172'8" x 29'7" x 10'10". Steamship, cargo only as built 1912 by Murdoch & Murray, Port Glasgow for North Coast S.N. Co, Sydney. Held compound 4 cylinder engine, coal fired. 1937 W R Carpenter & Co, Sydney. Early 1940 owned by Wm Crosby & Co, Melbourne. 7th November 1940 chartered to AUSN Co, Sydney and employed on their intrastate trade, Bundaberg - Brisbane. She was returned to her owners at Sydney on 6th January 1941. 1941-1946 converted into and serviced as RAN Minesweeper. 1946 sold to Singapore interests. 1948 renamed San David. 1949 sold to Haiphong registered owners & renamed Orion. 1956 sold to Vietnam interests & renamed Trung Thin. Deleted from register in 1967




More vessels than above mentioned were chartered by this concern. As found they will be listed here

TOP of PAGE HOME!


2007-10©John E Hoskin/Flotilla Australia
All Rights Reserved