Port Australia

FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES

IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA

OF



ILLAWARRA & SOUTH COAST STEAM NAVIGATION CO
began in 1839 as

ILLAWARRA STEAM PACKET CO

later merging with

BRISBANE WATER STEAM PACKET Co

in 1839 to become the

GENERAL STEAM NAVIGATION Co

Sold off all their fleet during 1842 and ceased to exist except for the 'Edye Manning" factor, where historians via confused records of the day saw this concern as a sort of 'Illawarra Steam Navigation Co in name. In reality, with no vessels and Edye Manning running his own separate concerns, the entity that was General S N Co simply ceased to be in 1842

Meanwhile and since, SHOALHAVEN STEAM NAVIGATION Co formed in 1853 and the KIAMA STEAM NAVIGATION Co formed in 1853-4

SHOALHAVEN STEAM NAVIGATION Co
(of which Edye Manning was major shareholder)
&
KIAMA STEAM NAVIGATION Co
(R Haworth & Partners), merged in 1856

1857 saw printed advertisements stating 'Wollongong, Shoalhaven & Kiama S N Co'., as well as 'Illawarra S N Co'., for shipping services on the South coast of New South Wales. These 'printed' Company concerns were, in reality, the
KIAMA STEAM NAVIGATION Co

In 1858 by 'ACT of Parliament' saw the renaming of the Kiama Steam Navigation Company
as the

ILLAWARRA STEAM NAVIGATION Company

Became known as the 'Pig and Whistle Line'. It was said that fleet ships would wait an hour for a pig but not a minute for a passenger
The company was incorporated in 1904 as the

ILLAWARRA & SOUTH COAST STEAM NAVIGATION Company
Some records state - delisted Australian Stock Exchange 1955 due to liquidation............Others state - finished in 1959 with the sale of their last vessel



ILLAWARRA STEAM PACKET CO
formed June 1839
owned the paddle steamer MAITLAND
BRISBANE WATER STEAM PACKET CO
owned the steamer WILLIAM the FOURTH
Ed Ed
MAITLAND
1837-55
WILLIAM the FOURTH
1831-68
WILLIAM the FOURTH (180791p) image courtesy State Library Queensland
MAITLAND 140 gross tons, 103 net. Lbd: 103'2" x 15'6" x 8'3". Wooden paddle steamship of passenger capacity as built by John Russell at Darling Harbour, Sydney for Edye Manning of Sydney in 1837. Of 40 horsepower but later replaced with 60 horsepower machinery in 1841. Became the Illawarra Steam Packet Company's first vessel in 1839. Of the General S N Co late 1839 upon the merger of Illawarra S P Co and the Brisbane Water S N Co. December 1845 owned by A C James & Others. November 1847of the Hunter River S N Co. December 1850 owned by G W Cole & Partners (Messers Bruce & Norton) where she was employed as a tug, tender and ferry on the Yarra River. Burnt out upon the Yarra river, Melbourne November 27th 1855. Raised, rebuilt and renamed Samson. Became a total loss at Hokitika, New Zealand September 29th, 1865
WILLIAM THE FOURTH 54 tons. Lbd: 74' x 15'6" x 7'. Wooden paddle steamer, 2 masts built by Marshall & Lowe on the Williams River at Clarencetown New South Wales. Of passenger capacity. Engine manufactured by Fawcett of Liverpool England. First owner J H Grose of Sydney. Was the first ocean going steamship built in Australia in 1831. June 1839 owned by Brisbane Water Steam Packet Co. September 1839 of General Steam Navigation Co. 1842 of Edye Manning & others. November 1843 of James Byrnes, Parramatta. February 1844 of John Dobbie & D Bloxome (possibly trustees of for the Twofold Bay Pastoral Co). October 1850 of William M Manning & A B Spark. 1853 lengthened to be 77 tons and Lbd: 86' x 14'8" x 8'2". 1857 of the Grafton Steam Navigation Co. June 1858 (supposedly) owned outright by W M & Edye Manning. February 1860 of the Illawarra Steam Navigation Co. 1863 saw her sent abroad to China where she was puchased in 1864, and operated by A Ellissen & Co., on the Shanghai - Ningpo route. Laid up towards end of December 1868 she was despatched to Japan. Records end
NOTE: Often confused with the paddle steamer King William the Fourth


Whilst several shareholders had interests in both Companies, these two concerns found agreement at a meeting held 27th August 1839. Officially merged in September 1839 becoming the
GENERAL STEAM NAVIGATION Co
Ed Ed Ed
SOPHIA JANE
1826-45
TAMAR
1833-73
VICTORIA
1840-46
TAMAR image (67522p) courtesy State Library Queensland
SOPHIA JANE 256 gross tons, 153 net. Lbd: 120'3" x 20'1" x 10'3". Wooden paddle steamship built 1826 by Barnes & Miller at Rotherhithe, as supervised by English shipbuilder named Evans. Side lever making 50 horsepower. Built as a Gravesend, England steam packet vessel for unknown owners and acquired by Edward Biddulph & syndicate 1830. Sailed to the Australian colonies with a view to sell, arriving at Sydney Town 13th May 1831. She travelled under sail yet holds the distinction of being the first 'steamship' to arrive upon Australian shores. Her paddle wheels were fitted and she commenced trade in the Hunter River, New South Wales. E Biddulph was unable to sell her outright and instead sold shares to local residents. November 1833 J H Grose purchased all the shares and entered into a business partnership with Thomas Street. Records state this vessel as registered at Sydney 1838 with J H Grose again having full ownership in December 1838. July 1839 owned by J T Wilson who fled the colonies in October 1839 leaving angry creditors and a financial mess. Purchased by General S N Co., Sydney October 1940 who ran her as a regular on the Illawarra trade. November 1842 owned by Thomas Barker. 1843 owned by Edye Manning & Partners. Demolished with register officially closed 1845
TAMAR 200 gross tons, 130 net. Lb: 96'3" x 17'8". Paddle steamer, built by McMillan et al Greenock Glasgow. 1833 David Napier, Glasgow (for Tamar Steam Nav Co, Australia), 1834 J Wilson & T Burdekin, Sydney. 1836 lengthened by Russell, Pymont to 200grt 130nrt 124.0 x 16.0ft. 1839-40 General Steam Nav Co, Sydney, 1842 Hunter River S N Co, 1851 ASN Co.,1852 rebuilt by L Corcoran, Sydney. 1861 J & A Brown, Sydney. 1866 William Farthing, 1866 Stephen Foyle, Newcastle New South Wales and lengthened with tonnage increase to 200 gross. Held first mail contract to north-east ports of Australia in 1860. Wrecked Cabbage Tree Bay Norah Head, 11 January 1873 (sources Clydebuilt Shipping and R Parsons)
NOTE: Both the Sophia Jane & the Tamar were purchased from the Committee of Creditors overseeing the estate of J T Wilson. On or about October 23rd 1839 John Thomas Wilson has absconded the colony leaving debts of up to 50,000 pounds and a financial mess. These two steamers were laid up pending finalisation of assets versus debts, and ultimately sold together for 18,700 pounds to this concern
VICTORIA 270 gross tons, 188 net. Lbd: 134' x 18'7" x 12'. Wooden paddle steamer, built around the engines of the salvaged paddle- wheeler Ceres ex (Hunter River Steam Packet Association) by John Korff at Raymond Terrace, New South Wales in 1840. Enrolled as owned by E Manning and A B Spark, although the temporary press of the era stated as under the General Steam Navigation Co. and initially worked the Hunter River trade as a passenger - cargo vessel under the auspices of Edye Manning until 'outclassed' by the newer rival vessel Thistle. Sold 1942 to T Barker & H Smith. 1846 sold to Bombay owners and sent overseas where she was reported as working out of Penang. Fate since unknown


1853-4 saw the formation of two separate shipping concerns known as the
SHOALHAVEN STEAM NAVIGATION Co
and the
KIAMA STEAM NAVIGATION Co
These were created as a result of service dissatisfaction with the General S N Co
Kiama S N Co was largely owned by R Haworth & Partners whilst the Shoalhaven S N Co was headed by Alexander Berry, with major shareholders Edye Manning and James Hartwell Williams (USC)
The Shoalhaven S N Co purchased from A G Robinson of Sydney, the Nora Creina in 1854. Kiama S N Co organised for a steamship to be built in England, such arriving at Sydney in April 4th 1855
SHOALHAVEN STEAM NAVIGATION Co
NORA CREINA
1849-69
NOWRA
1855-64+
No images available
NORA CREINA 142 gross tons, 93 net. Lbd: 133'7" x 18' x 7'7". Iron paddle steamship built at the Neptune Foundry Waterford Ireland for the Commercial S N Co., Waterford. 1853 owned by A G Robinson, Sydney. 1854 purchased by the Shoalhaven S N Co., Sydney and worked the Sydney - south coast ports of New South Wales as a passenger - cargo vessel. February 1857 of the unofficial Illawarra S N Co. (read - Kiama S N Co) Sold 1861-2 to Far East interests. Wrecked October 1849
NOWRA 142 gross tons, 26 net. Lbd: 79'2" x 16'4" x 5'. Wooden paddle steamship built by John Cuthbert, Sydney with engine of 40 horsepower and capable of 9 knots. Launched December 22nd, 1855, designed for shallow river operations bringing produce to the larger vessel/s. Built for Shoalhaven S N Co's Crookhaven - Nowra trade. 1856 transferred over with the sale of this Company to the Kiama S N Co. Of the Illawarra S N Co and placed for sale on the market from 1860. 1862 employed as a tug at Brisbane. 1864 sold to unknown Queensland buyers. No other details


KIAMA STEAM NAVIGATION Co
R Haworth & Partners
Ed Ed Ed
KIAMA
1854-76
MIMOSA
1854-63
HUNTER
1854-87
MIMOSA image courtesy State Library Tasmania
HUNTER image courtesy Wollongong City Library
KIAMA 145 gross tons, 104 net. Lbd: 123'6" x 19'3" x 8'. Iron steamship built by J G Lawrie at Whiteinch, Glasgow for this concern. Of 2 cylinders, oscillating producing 60 horsepower. Purpose built passenger - cargo vessel taking 144 days to arrive from Glasgow under the command of Captain Samuel Charles, whom was sent to Whiteinch to supervise her construction. Worked the south coast of New South Wales until the merger of shipping concerns in 1857 and she was tried out on the Sydney - Manning River route for about a year's duration. Not the success as anticipated and she returned to the southern run. 1871 saw her lengthened to 154'4" x 20'4" x 7'8" with tonnage as 175 gross and 111 net. August 1876 sold to D Sheehy and converted into a hulk
MIMOSA 163 gross tons, 105 net. Lbd: 140'6" x 17'9" x 9'. Iron paddle steamer built by Hoby & Co., Renfrew as a passenger - cargo vessel for Richard Johnson & Co, Glasgow. Held a trunk type engine producing 60 horsepower. Arrived at Hobart Tasmania December 1854. 1855 owned by the Eastern S N Co., Hobart. Intended for coastal services from Hobart but proved not very successful and sold January 1858 to John Edye Manning, Sydney. Sold in February 1861 to Illawarra S N Co and placed on the Clyde River run. At that time the Kiandra goldrush was in effect however it quickly petered out and she was despatched to trade out of Port Macquarie. Lengthened early 1863 as: 162'9" x 17'9" x 9". Switching trades she worked the Sydney - merimbula route until wrecked 9th September, 1863 on a rock north of Tathra new South Wales, that rock which today bears her name
HUNTER 170 tons as built. Remeasured 1864 to more accurately read 252 gross tons, 144 net. Lbd: 159'1" x 20'5" x 11'8". Iron paddle steamer,120 horsepower built by Scott & Co., Greenock Glasgow for Hunter River New S N Co., Sydney. Fast and popular passenger steamer on the Sydney - Hunter River route. Sold June 1858 to R Haworth & Partners, (Kiama Steam Navigation Co) . April 1861 of the Illawarra Steam Navigation Co., Sydney and had her lengthened 1867 to be of 309 gross and 203 net tons, Lbd: 181'5" x 20'5" x 11'5". Sold June 1887 to P Hunter and converted into a hulk. December 1890 acquired by Adelaide Steamship Co for use as a hulk. Scrapped at Melbourne July 1904


April 11th, 1856 saw the sale of the SHOALHAVEN STEAM NAVIGATION Co to R Haworth, of the KIAMA STEAM NAVIGATION Co and possibly acting on behalf of Edye Manning
1857 saw printed advertisements stating 'Wollongong, Shoalhaven & Kiama S N Co'., as well as 'Illawarra S N Co'., for shipping services on the South coast of New South Wales. These 'printed' Company concerns were, in reality, the
KIAMA STEAM NAVIGATION Co

October 7th, 1858 by 'Act of Parliament' saw the concern KIAMA STEAM NAVIGATION Co become known as the
ILLAWARRA STEAM NAVIGATION Co
Vessels listed as acquired chronologically
Ed Ed Ed Ed
ILLAWARRA (1)
1853-64
KEMBLA
1861-1917
MYNORA
1863-64
ILLALONG
1854-79
ILLAWARRA (1) image (P12650) courtesy Wollongong City Library
ILLAWARRA (1) 166 gross tons, 77 net. Lbd: 106' x 19'5" x 10'2". Iron paddle steamship built by C J Mare at Blackwall, London. Engine capable of 60 horsepower. Owned by Edye Manning & Partners. As a passenger - cargo vessel, she worked the Wollongong trade and, became part of the Illawarra Steam Navigation Company in 1861. Becoming surplus to the fleet, she was sent abroad to the Far East for sale and although purchased by owners unknown was wrecked at Volcano islands in the China Sea on June 22nd 1864
KEMBLA 325 gross tons, 204 net. Lbd: 185'1" x 22'1" x 11'5". Iron paddle steamship built by J Reid & Co., Glasgow for the Illawarra S N Co., Sydney. Of 2 cylinder LP producing 165 horsepower and capable of 14 knots. As a passenger vessel, she worked the Merimbula trade until the Kiandra gold diggings ran out and, was despatched to New Zealand with a view to sell her in 1861. Without success she returned to Australia being mostly laid up. 1872 saw her servicing Sydney - Melbourne via Wollongong, Shoalhaven and Eden, but with little gain financially. Lengthened in 1873 becoming of 449 gross tons, 283 net with Lbd: 209'2" x 22'6" x 11'5". She was chartered by D Little in 1873 and serviced Brisbane - Maryborough - Mackay and later adding Sydney to her itinery. Advertised as the 'fastest ship in the trade' 14 knots being the quickest there and then, she was seen by shareholders in the rival company, Australasian S N Co as a disguised threat from Illawarra S N Co via D Little to their established trade routes. The fact that a Mr. C J Stevens, director of both Australasian S N Co and the Illawarra S N Co was seen as 'perhaps' working against the ASN Co with inside knowledge, led to the shareholders of ASN Co passing a resolution prohibiting any other shareholder holding shares in another shipping company. This led Mr C J Stevens to resign his post, sell his shares and actually purchase the Kembla outright in February 1874. He placed her on the Newcastle run, with intended direct opposition to ASN Co., and using cut-price fares. Both the ASN Co and the Illawarra S N Co banded together attempting to thwart Steven's efforts and both failed. The Kembla earned 20,000 pounds in 15 months, thus proving the loyalty of local support for a service that worked for them. In need of refitting, suddenly all shipyards of the ASN Co were closed to the Kembla, and so she she steamed to Melbourne for the necessary repairs. Upon this she resumed her Newcastle trade and, in February 1876 C J Stevens formed the Newcastle Steamship Co Ltd., Newcastle and forced the ASN Co out of the Newcastle trade completely. October 1890 sold to E Saber. Since various unknown owners until hulked 1917 and used by the New South Wales Government's Metal Quarries Division as a hulk. Register officially closed in 1934. Ended her days in the ‘disposal area’ off Sydney
MYNORA 117 gross tons, 96 net. Lbd: 119'3" x 17'8" x 7'8". Wooden paddle steamer, built by Thomas Chowne, Pyrmont Sydney for the Illawarra S N Co. Engine of 56 horsepower. Launched 13th November 1862, 1863 registered Sydney. In foggy weather she struck a reef off George’s Head, south of Jervis Bay, New South Wales. Managed to free herself, only to find herself in a sinking condition from being holed, so deliberately ran ashore, 6th April 1864
ILLALONG 249 gross tons, 180 net. Lbd: 175'6" x 20'5" x 11' as built by J W Hoby & Co., Renfrew for ASN Co. Iron paddle steamer with passenger capacity. 1864 measurements read 170' x 21' x 11'2" when sold to Illawarra Steam Navigation Co, Sydney. April 1879 reported broken up. Illalong was the native word for the Moprth area


Ed Ed Ed Ed
COMERANG
1865-82
COOLANGATTA
1865-73
BROUGHTON
1873-1910
PERSERVERANCE
1867-70
NO-IMAGES available
COMERANG 198 gross tons, 152 net. Lbd: 144'6" x 22'4" x 6'8'. Wooden paddle steamer of 70 horsepower and built by J Cuthbert at Millers Point, Sydney for the Illawarra S N Co. Sold 1869 to New Zealand interests. 1882 returned to Australia under unknown ownership and eventually converted into a hulk
COOLANGATTA 87 gross tons, 67 net. Lbd: 99' x 18' x 5'. Wooden side wheel paddle steamer built by J Cuthbert at Millers Point, Sydney for Illawarra S N Co. Steam engine of 25 horsepower. River work only, conveying passengers and goods upstream to the sea going vessels. She was affectionately known as the 'wheelbarrow' a local favorite on the Shoalhaven River. A massive flood 27th April 1870 saw her break moorings at the Company's wharf at Terara, and stranded 200 yards inland. Eventually refloated 1st June with little damage. Hulked 1873 and demolished circa 1891
BROUGHTON 38 gross tons, 26 net. Lbd: 81' x 13'5" x 4'8". Wooden steamship built by J Bower at Pyrmont, Sydney for Illawarra S N Co. Held a High Pressure engine producing 18 horsepower. Traded Nowra to Greenwell Point in replacing the Coolangatta on her Shoalhaven river service. Demolished 1910
PERSERVERANCE 35 gross tons, 25 net. 1Lbd: 70'7" x 15'5" x 5'. Wooden paddle steamer built by Rock Davis at Brisbane Water New South Wales for W Haggit, Sydney. 1869 owned by the Illawarra S N Co and worked the Gerringong service. February 1970 sold to J Tankard. 14th April 1870 wrecked at Tweed River


Ed Ed Ed Ed
JOHN PENN
1867-79
ALCHYMIST
1869-78
ALEXANDER BERRY
1873-1901
BLACKWALL
1874-1925
JOHN PENN image & ALEXANDER BERRY (P09858) image courtesy Wollongong City Library
JOHN PENN 199 gross tons, 122 net. Lbd: 140' x 22'6" x 8'1". Iron twin screw steamship, built at the Thames Ironworks & Ship Building Co., Blackwall Great Britain for J Williamson, Auckland New Zealand. Passenger - cargo vessel. Held 4 horizontal engines producing 40 horsepower as constructed by John Penn & Co., Greenwich. Purchased April 1871 by Illawarra S N Co., working their Merimbula service. Lengthened in 1879 to be Lbd: 160' x 22'6" x 8'1". with tonnage as 256 gross tons, 208 net. Foundered off Broulee Bay, between Moruya and Burrawarra Head, New South Wales on or about the 8th (some reports state 11th) November 1879. Her fame was as the first 'screw' steamship of this concern and first ship on the Australian coast to havew fitted water ballast tanks.
ALCHYMIST 54 gross tons, 35 net. Lbd: 82'4" x 15'3" x 6'2". Wooden paddle steamer with passenger capacity built by Rock Davis, at Brisbane Water, New South Wales and possibly owned by the builder. High pressure diagonal engine producing 25 horsepower. December 1871 owned by Parramatta River Steam Navigation Co., who placed her on the Sydney - Broken Bay trade as a passenger - cargo vessel. March 1873 of this concern as the Illawarra Steam Navigation Co., and serviced the Sydney - Gerringong (Broughton) trade. Sold to J & T Fenwick in December 1873 and utilised on the northern rivers, at times in the capacity as a tug. Wrecked at Woody Point near the Clarence River New South Wales 19th January 1978
ALEXANDER BERRY 62 gross tons, 42 net. Lbd: 80'6" x 15'4" x 5'2". Wooden steamship built by J Bower & Co., Pyrmont Sydney for Illawarra S N Co. Held a 2 cylinder high pressure engine producing 20 horsepower. Traded as a drogher between Nowra and Greenwell Point New South Wales. Sent to Merimbula but was overwelmed by rough seas overnight whilst taking shelter and, wrecked near Bass Point on 1st July 1901 with a loss of 4 lives
BLACKWALL 59 tons. Lbd: 75'6" x 16'8' x 6'4". Wooden steamship built by Rock Davis at Brisbane Water, New South Wales for unknown owners. Powered by a vertical steam engine producing 16 horsepower as installed at Morts Dock, Sydney. Acquired by Illawarra S N Co March 1875 for ther Shellharbour trade. Wrecked at Shellharbour 20th July 1876 and yet was salvaged, dismantled and rebuilt as a 2 masted Fore and Aft schooner in a rebirth on December 1876. Believed sold at salvage. By this time she lost any competitive ground on the Shellharbour service and was relocated. Had engines installed August 1892 and survived until 1925 when demolished


Ed Ed Ed Ed
MONARO
1876-79
ILLAWARRA (11)
1878-1908
BRISBANE
1856-91
KAMERUKA
1880-97
MONARO, ILLAWARRA (11) (P12939) & KAMERUKA images courtesy Wollongong City Library
MONARO 521 gross tons, 302 net. Lbd: 180' x 24'7" x 15'6". Iron twin screw steamship, rigged as a two-masted schooner as built by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow in 1876; Passenger - cargo vessel of twin compounded engines producing 96 horsepower. Registered Sydney, July 1876. First twin screw ship built for the Illawarra S N Co., and serviced the southern trade of Sydney taking in Merimbula and Eden. Ashore and wrecked on Kelly’s Point, Bingie Bingie, about seven miles north from Moruya Heads, 29th May 1879. No loss of life
ILLAWARRA (11) 522 gross tons, 313 net. Lbd: 190' x 23'7" x 16'5". Iron paddle steamship built by Wigham Richardson & Co., Newcastle on Tyne. The second vessel carrying the name Illawarra for this concern and designed as a passenger - cargo vessel capable of 15 knots. Oscillating engine of 190 horsepower. Serviced Sydney - Wollongong in 3 1/2 hours. Normal run was to Wollongong via Kiama and Shoalhaven. 1903-04 of the Illawarra & South Coast S N Co, as this Company became incorporated. Early 1900's had boiler power reduced and one funnel removed. Laid up 1908 and scrapped 1911
BRISBANE 102 gross tons, 65 net. Lbd: 136'6" x 18'6" x 6'3". Iron paddle steamer built by J & G Thomson Govan, Glasgow for the Australasian S N Co Ltd, Sydney. Oscillating engine producing 40 horsepower. December 1879 acquired by the Illawarra Steam Navigation Co Ltd., Sydney. Scrapped 1891
KAMERUKA 515 gross tons, 300 net. Lbd: 179'6" x 24'5" x 15'6". Steel twin screw steamer, built by Russell & Co., Greenock, Scotland. Of twin compounded engines producing 98 horsepower and sported two funnels. Registered Sydney 1890. Built for the Illawarra Steam Navigation Co., on their Illawarra service as a passenger - cargo vessel of 10 knots. Sister ship and of the fleet was the 'Allowrie'. Struck Pedro’s Reef near Moruya Head, New South Wales, 16th October 1897. She was steaming at full speed in a calm sea near midnight and struck about 150 yards from the shore, enabling her live deck cargo to swim ashore. Passengers were taken ashore in a cage suspended to a rope attached from the vessel to a rock. The only person injured was the captain who fell from the bridge when the ship struck


Ed Ed Ed Ed
ALLOWRIE
1880-1910
IDEA
1880-1904
BEGA
1883-1908
TERARA
1885-1920
BEGA image (128663p) courtesy of State Library Queensland
TERARA foreground in front of St George image courtesy State Library New South Wales
ALLOWRIE 504 gross tons, 294 net. Lbd: 179'4" x 24'8" x 16'. Steel passenger-cargo steamship of two funnels. Sistership Kameruka. Twin compounded engines producing 98 horsepower. Built by Napier, Shanks & Bell, Dumbarton for the Illawarra S N Co's trade south of Sydney, taking in the ports of Merimbula, Tathra, Twofold Bay and others. Later 1904 of the Illawarra South Coast S N Co. Either hulked or broken up 1908 and removed from register 1910
IDEA 77 gross tons, 52 net. Lbd: 97' x 21' x 6'. Wooden steamship built and owned by Callen Bros., Camden New South Wales. Of 14 horsepower. Sold September 1881 to G Hill Jnr. August 1882 acquired by Illawarra S N Co. Where she was employed is largely unknown, likelihood being a river drogher only on the south coast of Sydney. Sold June 1904 and converted into a barge
BEGA 567 gross, 305 net tons. Lbd: 189'4" x 24'6" x 16'. Steel twin screw passenger-cargo steamer built by Russell & Co., Greenock, Scotland for this concern and with the 1904 company name change. Abandoned after suddenly listing to starboard, then lurching to port, and sanking rapidly, off southern NSW coast, 5 April 1908. The vessel contained some £1000 in gold sovereigns. Possiby lost off Tania Beach, off Bunga Head between Tathra and Bermagui, New South Wales
TERARA 152 gross tons. Lbd: 125'3" x 20' x 6'7". Iron paddle steamer of 30 horsepower as built by Atlas Engineering Co., Sydney, for the Illawarra S N Co., Sydney. Used for river work carrying passengers and cargo on her open deck, sheltered by awnings, as she had no holds whatsoever. as a ferry at Newcastle. June 1896 sold to North Coast S N Co and operated as a steam tender feeder vessel on the Manning River. Sold 1914 to New South Wales Government and used as a ferry conveying workers to the State Dockyard at Newcastle. Abandoned opposite Tea Gardens, near Sydney circa 1920


Ed Ed Ed Ed
OTWAY
1872-1913
VISION
1899-1911
EDEN
1900-32
CHRISTINA GOLLAN
1885-1920
OTWAY image courtesy State Library Victoria
OTWAY 446 gross tons, 271 net. Lbd: 180' x 25' x 12'. Iron steamship of 93 horsepower, 2 masts as built Blackwood & Gordon, Glasgow for the Warrnambool Steam Packet Co, Melbourne. Designed as a passenger vessel for their Melbourne - Western Districts of Victoria run. May 1878 C V Robinson & Partners, Melbourne. November 1878 Lilly & Marshall, whom together with Anderson, became the Western Australian shipping company. That concern folded selling all to Adelaide Steamship Co in May 1883. Refitted 1883 to 203' x 25'2" x 12' with tonnage 563 gross. 1892 sold to A Jouve & Co, Noumea. June 1897 E F Knoblauch, reg Sydney. October 1897 sold to Illawarra S N Co Ltd., Sydney and employed as cargo only vessel. June 1901 sold to North coast S N Co and in August renamed Nymbodia. Hulked 1913 and scrapped 1930
VISION 84 gross tons, 57 net. Lbd: 83'4" x 21'3" x 6'8". Wooden steamship built by Rock Davis at Brisbane Water, New South Wales for the Illawarra S N Co. Held a compounded engine producing 9 horsepower. 1904 transferred to the Illawarra & SOuth Coast S N Co Ltd. 13th January 1911 wrecked near Bermagui New South Wales
EDEN 693 gross tons, 361 net. Lbd: 197' x 26'6" x 16'6". Steel twin screw steamship built as a passenger cargo vessel by Russell & Co, Glasgow for the Illawarra S N Co. Powered by a twin compounded engine producing 750 horsepower.1904 transferred to the Illawarra & SOuth Coast S N Co Ltd. Designed for the Sydney - South-coast trade and was this fleet's first passenger vessel to have 2 and 4 berth cabins, all in 2 classes. 1922 owing to the Commonwealth Navigations Act, saw her 2nd class accomodation removed. Withdrawn and laid up from service in 1929 and sold in 1932 to W Waugh of Sydney, who stripped her of fittings and scuttled the hulk off Sydney Heads
CHRISTINA GOLLAN 54 gross tons, 37 net. Lbd: 68' x 15'6" x 6'8". Wooden steamship, compounded engine of 40 horsepower. First owner was H Gollan of Tinonee on the Manning River, New South Wales. Weather he also built the vessel is unclear. Ownership since is vague as William Villiers Brown of Townsville, Queensland had ownership up to February 1901 until he sold this ship to Captain James McGeorge. McGeorge failed to make good a mortgage on the vessel and so, William Brown sold her to the Illawarra S N Co in August 1901. In 1905 the Illawarra & South Coast S N Co Ltd found the necessary register entries were not in order dating back to August 1901 and the correct details were made in order to 'legalise' the whole situation. Sold 1911 to unknown owners and reported as wrecked in 1920




1904 saw this company become Incorporated and renamed the
ILLAWARRA & SOUTH COAST STEAM NAVIGATION Co Ltd
Vessels transferred were Bega, Broughton, Eden, Illawarra (11) and Vision as well as the punt Janet

Ed

In acquired chronological order
Ed Ed Ed Ed
PETERBOROUGH
1886-1911
PETERBOROUGH
1886-1911
COOMONDERRY
1886-1969
MORUYA
1906-49
PETERBOROUGH images courtesy Wollongong City Library
COOMONDERRY image (d1_25040) courtesy of State Library New South Wales
MORUYA image courtesy State Library Queensland
PETERBOROUGH 159 gross tons, 108 net. Lbd: 111'9" x 20'7" x 7'6". Wooden steamship built by Atlas Engineering Co., Woolwich, New South Wales for the Shellharbour S N Co Ltd., Sydney. Of a compounded engine producing 35 horsepower, she worked out of Shellharbour in direct competition with the Illawarra S N Co until the Illawarra & South Coast S N Co purchased her August 1905. Hulked 1911
COOMONDERRY 146 gross tons, 58 net. Lbd: 110'2" x 20'1" x 7'6". Steel steamship built by T B Seath & Co., Rutherglen England for the Berry Estate. J Hay was manager of that estate. Passenger - cargo vessel, compounded engine of 37 horsepower. November 1898 owned by the Moruya S N Co. June 1904 owned by R Anderson & Allen Taylor. November 1905 bought by Illawarra & South Coast S N Co. Serviced the southern New South Wales ports to Sydney. Sold 1915 to Melbourne owners and converted into an auxilliary 3 masted motor vessel. Eventually wrecked 1969 at Fiji
MORUYA 525 gross tons, 283 net. Lbd: 150'7" x 25'6" x 15'1". Steel twin screw steamship built by the Caledonian Engineering & Shipbuilding Co., Preston for the Illawarra & South Coast S N Co. Held a twin compounded engine producing 250 ihp. Built for this concern's passenger trade but during her delivery voyage she was beached at Port Albert off the Gippsland coastline, Victoria on February 16th, 1907. Sustained bottom damage, repaired and placed on the Clyde River run until 1912 when sold to the Commonwealth Government, and renamed Stuart. They operated her out of Darwin, Northern Territory, in what capacity remains unknown, however she was found too costly to run and sold in 1913 to Australian Steamships Pty Ltd (Howard Smith). She was renamed back to Moruya and employed along Queensland coast. Her run extended to Gladstone in 1914. Sold to Cam & Son, Sydney in 1936 who in turn sold her in 1938 to Mollers Towage, Shanghai. Renamed 'Jessie Moller', she was captured by the Japanese in December 1941, only to be returned to owners at the end of hostilities. 1949 was abandoned to her underwriters after suffering severe damage


Ed Ed Ed Ed
TATHRA
1907-12
MERIMBULA
1909-28
MERIMBULA remains HILLMEADS
1907-57
MERIMBULA remains photo & HILLMEADS image courtesy Graeme Andrews
TATHRA 483 gross tons, 193 net. Lbd: 170'3" x 27'1" x 9'4". Steel twin screw steamship built by Scotts of Kinghorn Scotland for N Cain's Coastal Co-Operative Steamship Co Ltd. Coal fired twin triple expansion engines making about 12 knots. Passenger accomodation for 68 and boasted 'electric light'. She was placed upon the MacLeay River in direct competition to North Coast S N Co., causing fierce rivalry. After only six months this vessel was found to be quite unsuitable to the river trade and, in a deal struck with North Coast S N Co, was withdrawn from that route and subsequently sold. Her purchasers were the Illawarra & South Coast S N Co., Sydney in April 1908. Renamed Tathra she worked the southern reaches of coastal New South Wales, only to be found unsuitable in her duties. She was chartered out to the Kerr Bros, Vila New Hebrides late 1911 only to be lost after capsizing in a Gale off Ambryn Island near the New Hebrides on the 4th January 1912. Of the 24 souls aboard there were no survivors
MERIMBULA 1,112 gross tons, 455 net. Lbd: 209'6" x 32'2" x 21'1". Steel twin screw steamship, of twin triple expansion engines producing 167 nautical horsepower. Built as a passenger vessel by Ailsa Shipbuilding Co Ltd.,Troon, Scotland for the Illawarra & South Coast S N Co., Sydney. Arrived Sydney Harbour 19 December 1909. Accomodated 96 saloon and 10 second class passengers, the second class section later removed in 1921 to increase crew cabin capacity. Designed for the passenger trade from Sydney to Bermagui, Tathra, Merimbula and Eden, all being southern ports of New South Wales. 1918 worked the Bass Strait service between Melbourne and Tasmania in relieving the regular carrier Rotomahana. Left Sydney for south coast ports, went ashore in heavy weather and lost near Beecroft Head, New South Wales , 27th March 1928. She was wrecked on a shelf of rocks about one hundred yards from shore and eventually abandoned after some cargo and fittings had been salvaged. The fourteen passengers were safely landed after daylight. The captain and one of his crew walked along the beach to the lighthouse at Point Perpendicular to wire news of the wreck to Sydney
HILLMEADS 206 gross tons, 84 net. Lbd: 126'4" x 27'5" x 9'2". Wooden twin screw steamship 2 compounded engines producing 28 nhp. Built as a passenger-cargo vessel by E Pritchard at Jervis Bay New South Wales for the Numba Steam Shipping Co Ltd. Worked the trade from Sydney to Moruya, Bawleys Head and and Batemans Bay carrying passengers and timber. Sold 15th October 1908, Ship and Company for 4,500 pounds to the Illawarra & South Coast S N Co., Sydney. 1916 sold to Launceston Tasmania interests (possibly New Zealand owners who registered her at Launceston) and finally of the Western District Timber Co Pty Ltd of Geelong. Scuttled July 18th 1937 off Port Phillip Heads, Victoria although another reliable source claims she was still in active service out of Tasmania effective 1956. Possibly scuttled July 18th 1957


Ed Ed Ed Ed
TILBA TILBA
1908-12
BERMAGUI
1912-60
BENANDRA
1914-24
BODALLA
1914-24
TILBA TILBA as Uralla image courtesy Graeme Andrews
BERMAGUI image taken by D Finch(uncontactable but with thanks)
BENANDRA being launched image courtesy State Library New South Wales
BODALLA image courtesy State Library New South Wales
TILBA TILBA 120 gross tons. Lbd: 125'8" x 26'5" x 8'5". Wooden twin screw steamship of 62 horsepower and built at Tuncurry as the Uralla for Allen Taylor & Co., Sydney. Sold 1911 to the Illawarra & South Coast S N Co., Sydney and renamed Tilba Tilba. (nicknamed Tilba) 17th November 1912 wrecked at Wreck Bay, New South Wales
BERMAGUI 402 gross tons, 150 net. Lbd: 144' x 32'1" x 8'2". Steel twin screw steamship built by Ailsa Shipbuilding Co., Troon for the Illawarra & South Coast S N Co., Sydney. Commissioned as a Minesweeper during WW2. Sold 1951 to Lumbar Operators Pty Ltd., then 1954-5 to Allen Taylor & Co., for the timber transport trade. Sold 1961 for conversion into a gravel barge Brisbane river until 1979. Scuttled at the ships graveyard off Tangalooma, Moreton Bay Queensland
BENANDRA 345 gross tons, 166 net. Lbd: 130' x 30' x 9'7". Wooden twin screw steamship, built 1913 by Morrison & Sinclair at Balmain, Sydney for the Illawarra & South Coast S N Co., Sydney 1914. Aft set machinery of twin compounded engines producing 20 nautical horsepower. Had limited passenger capacity although mainly transported timber and general cargo. Struck by a breaker which turned her broadside on to the Moruya Heads bar, New South Wales, and wrecked, 25th March 1924. One life lost
BODALLA 344 gross tons, 166 net. Lbd: 130' x 30' x 9'5". Wooden twin screw steamship built by Morrison & Sinclair at Long Nose Point Balmain, Sydney for the Illawarra & South Coast S N Co. Of twin compounded engines and had limited passenger capacity, although mainly transported timber and general cargo. Wrecked Narooma bar 19th January 1924. Sistership Benandra, both lost same year


Ed Ed Ed Ed
DUROBY
1902-23
DUROBY
at Murwillumbah
NARANI
1914-54
BERGALIA
1925-1961
NARANI image (303680) courtesy Australian War Memorial
BERGALIA image (04056r) courtesy State Library New South Wales
DUROBY at Murwillumbah postcard sold for $AU158.00 on ebay in 2006
DUROBY 196 gross tons, 119 net. Lbd:121'8" x 24'7" x 8'4". Wooden steamship of 2 masts with compounded engine producing 40 horsepower. Built at Langley Vale, Manning River New South Wales for Langley Bros., Sydney. 1921 sold to Illawarra & South Coast S N Co. Employed in the transport of silica from Ulladulla to Newcastle. Was badly burnt while at anchor Double Bay, Sydney on 14th March 1923. From this time on she may have been utilised as a lighter as, from the site of the fire, one cannot see her remains being towed to such a long distance, ie Port Stephens, to be dumped. She was sunk in a place called 'The Duckhole' at Port Stephens, New South Wales, and is still listed as a potential pollution hazard
NARANI 381 gross tons. Lbd: 148'6" x 33'2' x 8'7". Wooden twin screw steamship, built 1914 by E. Wright, Cape Hawke, (Tuncurry) New South Wales for Allen Taylor & Co., Sydney. 1919-20 of North Coast S.N. Co., ownership. Sold 1924 to Illawarra & South Coast S N Co., Sydney. 1940-1946 Royal Australian Navy minesweeper, 1951 sold to New Guinea Borneo Mangrove Co., Port Moresby. 1954 broken up
BERGALIA 548 gross tons, 195 net. Lbd: 153'1" x 34'6" x 8'5". Steel twin screw steamship built by Ailsa Shipbuilding Co., Ayr Scotland for the Illawarra & South Coast S N Co. 2 triple expansion engines. Sold 1951 to Lumbar Operators Pty Ltd., then 1954-5 to Allen Taylor & Co. She was the last coastal freighter to sail from Batemans Bay, loaded with hardwood railway sleepers in April 1957. Sold 1959-60 to Coastal Coal & Shipping Ltd., being renamed Tiburon 11 and operated out of New Guinea. Sold 1961 to Noumea interests and converted into a barge


Ed Ed Ed
COBAKI
1918-46
COBARGO
1929-60+
KIANGA
1922-48
COBARGO image (303142) courtesy Australian War Memorial
COBAKI 257 gross tons. Lbd: 127'4" x 28'3" x 8'5". Of two masts and 37 horsepower. Built at the Manning River of wood in 1918, for Langley Bros. 1926 saw takeover of Langley’s by North Coast S N Co. Sold soon after in 1926 to Illawarra & South Coast S N Co. Stricken from the register in 1937. 1939-45 taken over by the Australian Army. Scuttled in Salt Pan Creek Middle Harbour 1946
COBARGO 860 gross tons. 190 feet length. Steel twin screw steamship built by Ailsa Shipbuilding Co., Troon as a cargo vessel for the Illawarra & South Coast S N Co. Was last ship built for the Illawarra & South Coast S N Co., Sold 1951 to Allen Taylor & Co. Then to Lumbar Operators Pty Ltd. Sold to Hetherington Kingsbury and used in the North coast sugar trade. Sold in 1960 to H & S Credits Hong Kong and renamed Sucrosse. No details since
KIANGA 338 gross tons, 146 net. Lbd: 135'6" x 32' x 8'2". Wooden twin screw steamship of twin compounded engines producing 40 nhp. Built by R J Lacey possibly in conjunction with A McMillan & Co at Narooma, New South Wales for Sawmillers Shipping Co Ltd. 1933 owned by the Illawarra & South Coast S N Co. Requisitioned by the Royal Australian Navy as a Minesweeper from September 1941. Decommissioned 1946 but not returned to owners and subsequentially scuttled off Sydney Heads on July 7th 1946



TOP of PAGE HOME!


2007-08 ©John E Hoskin/Flotilla Australia
All Rights Reserved