AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES

IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA ESSENTIAL DATA

OF


NORTH COAST STEAM NAVIGATION CO

Had its origin as the Grafton Steam Navigation Co., in 1857. That concern evolved into Clarence & Richmond River Steam Navigation Co. Renamed December 1888 as the Clarence, Richmond & MacLeay River Steam Navigation Co. Merged with John See and Company on 13th August 1891. Entity renamed as the NORTH COAST STEAM NAVIGATION Co., Sydney. Merged with Allan Taylor & Co during 1920, where agreed redistribution fleet arrangements saw both concerns retain their individuality. Chairman and main influence since 1920 was Allen Taylor. Took over Langley Bros 1925/6. Bought out remaining fleet of Coastal Co-Operative Steamship C Ltd., in 1929. Port Stephens Steamship Co Ltd., Sydney acquired in 1940. Operated until 1954 when, largely as a result of the several phases of post-war shipping industry restructuring, went into voluntary liquidation

New South Wales Coastal Service



Ed Ed
HOUSE FLAG FUNNEL


Ed
ARAKOON
1926-62
ARAKOON (302934) image courtesy Australian War Memorial
ARAKOON 875 gross tons, 581 net. Lbd: 190' x 34'2" x 9'9". Steel twin screw steamship, built by Lithgows, Port Glasgow for this concern. Operated most of her career out of the MacLeay River. Sold 1955 to Cambay Prince Steam Ship Co Ltd (managers - John Manners & Co), Hong Kong and renamed Glebe Breeze. Sold 1957 to Panamanian Oriental Steam Ship Corp (mng Wheelock Marden & Co Ltd), Hong Kong, and renamed San Ricardo. Scrapped at Hong Kong September 1962


AUGUSTA
1889-1921
AUSTRALIAN
1879-1912
BANGALOW
1939-86
BELLINGER
1901-12
No images available
AUGUSTA 183 gross tons. Lbd: 109'5" x 22'7" x 9'5". Composite steamer built Sydney for Quigley & Kelly. Acquired by North Coast S N Co in 1905. Reduced to a lighter 1921. Demolished 1922 with engines transferred to the Nambucca
AUSTRALIAN 362 gross tons, 191 net. Lbd: 160'3" x 22'5" x 10'5". Iron passenger-cargo steamship built by Gourlay Bros, Dundee for G W Nicoll, Sydney. December 1879 of B.B. & G.W. Nicoll. November 1880 owned by John See. December 1891 owned by North Coast S N Co Ltd. February 1902 owned by Holyman & Sons Ltd., registered Launceston. 1907 of the West Coast Shipping Co Ltd, South Australia. May 8th 1912 stranded on Wardang Island, Spencer Gulf South Australia. All efforts in refloating her failed and she was stripped and abandoned where she lay
BANGALOW 648 gross tons, 363 net, 510 dwt. Lbd: 162'2" x 36'2" x 9'1". Built by Harland & Wolff Ltd., Govan Glasgow for this concern as a coaster. Triple expansion 3 cylinder, 9 knots. Machinery aft 48nhp. Draught was too deep on this vessel for the Company's trades and she was placed on the Coffs harbour run to major Rivers where she was deemed too small to be economical. One of the rare few vessels that didn't 'fit' with this concerns trade ports. March 1942 requisitioned by Royal Australian Navy as survey/lighthouse/cable repair ship. 1950 beached at Coffs Harbour during a cyclone. Little damage sustained. Sold 1955 to Cambay Prince Steam Ship Co Ltd (mng John Manners & Co), Hong Kong and renamed Cambay Prince. 1957 Yong & Lee Timber Co Ltd, Hong Kong and renamed Lucky Chen. 1959 Lucky Shipping & Trading Co Ltd, Panama renamed Lian Min. Renamed Eropagnis (unknown owners) 1970 and was trading out of Singapore. Deleted from Register 1986
BELLINGER 141 tons. Wooden steamship. Wrecked on the Nambucca bar New South Wales whilst under charter to Allen Taylor & Co. All hands saved the following day, rescued from the rigging left afloat


Ed Ed Ed
BELMORE (1)
1876-93
BELMORE (11)
1914-16
BOAMBEE
1908-48
BELMORE 66 gross tons, 42 net. Lbd: 101'7" x 15'6" x 6'1". Wooden paddle steamer of 12 passenger capacity built by Stuart & Ferguson, Macleay River, NSW for the Clarence & Richmond River S N Co. January 1889 of the Clarence, Ricmond & Macleay Rivers S N Co. September 1891 of the North Coast Steam Navigation Co. Stranded January 21st, 1893 at Coffs Harbour New South Wales. Became a total wreck after several attempts to refloat her had failed, and abandoned as a total loss in March 1893
BELMORE 189 gross tons, 81 net. Lbd: 106'7" x 29'5' x 8'3'. Wooden twin screw steamship of 27 horsepower via compounded engine and built at Swansea, New South Wales for B & N Einerson & Others. Whilst under charter to North Coast S N Co., she was lost on the MacLeay River entrance March 1916 laden with a cargo of coal
BOAMBEE 236 gross tons. Lbd: 127'4" x 27'2" x 7'7". Wooden steamship built along the Bellinger River, New South Wales for Langley Bros., Sydney. Of the North Coast S N Co fleet with takeover at 1925/6. Sold 1926 to F Viggers of Newcastle, NSW. Sold again date unknown to the Newcastle & Hunter River S N Co., Sydney and renamed Illalong. Wrecked upon Belmont beach, north of Newcastle 1948


Ed
BONALBO
1925-57
BONALBO 960 gross tons. Lbd: 205' x 34'6" x 12'. Steel steamship built by Lithgows, Port Glasgow for this concern. Passenger-cargo vessel of 121 horsepower. Sold to Patson Ltd (Sydney) in 1954/5, followed by Hetherington & Kingsbury Ltd, and finally a company in Hong Kong in 1957 and renamed Leewana. Records end


Ed Ed Ed Ed
BRUNDAH
1906-32
BRUNDAH
at Lismore
BURRAWONG
1889-1909
BURRINGBAR
1909-32
BRUNDAH 883 gross tons, 547 net. Lbd: 200'2" x 30'1" x 17'9". Of 110 horsepower. Steel twin screw steamship built by D J Dunlop & Co., Port Glasgow for this concern. In her passenger capacity, she accommodated up to 100, working the Sydney - Richmond River trade. Sold in 1925 to Burns Philp (South Seas) Ltd., registered in Suva and renamed Malinoa. Badly damaged when stranded in Vila, New Hebrides on 30 April 1932 refloated but beyond repair and scuttled off Suva, Fiji, February 1933. Brundah is an Aboriginal word for 'Sweet Home'
BURRAWONG 391 gross tons, 246 net. Lbd: 155' x 28'1" x 8'8". Steel twin screw steamship built by Gourlay Bros & Co., Dundee. Passenger - cargo vessel owned by John See, registered Sydney and December 1891 of this concern. Struck the Harrington breakwater, off Manning River, then drifted into mid-channel where she sank, 27th March 1909
BURRINGBAR 876 gross tons, 442 net. Lbd: 205'1" x 33'1" x 11'4". 131 horsepower. Steel hulled, single screw steamship as built by Greenock & Grangemouth Dockyard Co Ltd., Grangemouth as a passenger - cargo vessel for this concern. Described as a flush decked passenger ship, also boasted refrigerated cargo capacity to carry 300 cases of butter, such was the importance of the dairy trade to this company and the coastal producers. Compared to other vessels employed by this concern, she was a grand and innovatory ship. Part a group of only fifteen which weighed more than 500 tonnes, being third in size, at 876 tonnes, to the 'Brundah' (884) and 'Orara' (1297). Burringbar was hulked in 1932, and scuttled off Sydney Heads 16 November 1934


Ed Ed Ed Ed
CANONBAR
1910-60
CAVANBAH
1901-60
CITY OF GRAFTON
1876-1920
COBAKI
1918-46
CANONBAR (04510r) image courtesy State Library New South Wales
CANONBAR 708 gross tons, 363 net. Lbd: 185'8" x 32'1" x 11'. Steel passenger steamship built at Ardrossan Drydock & Shipbuilding Co, Glasgow for this concern. Sold 1926 to John Burke & Co Ltd., Brisbane. Requisitioned by U S Army small ships fleet 1943 and transferred to the Australian Commonwealth Government after hostilities ceased. Sold 1946 to Hong Kong interests and renamed Rosita. 1958 sold again and renamed Valiente and registered In Panama. Since, under the name Kettara 1V, reported missing in Mekong River, Vietnam, whilst another source states she was 'broken up' 1960
CAVANBA 573 gross tons, 231 net. Lbd: 172'1" x 26'1" x 12'1". Steel passenger steamship built by Bow McLachlan & C., Paisley, Glasgow for G W Nicoll, Sydney. 1904 acquired by North Coast S N Co., Sydney. Sold 1917 to Arthur Iffland van Ess, Hong Kong. 1924 sold to chinese interests and renamed Tung Yuan. 1932 Shaw Hsing Steamship Co Ltd, Newchwang and renamed Lai H'Sing. Sunk August 1949
CITY OF GRAFTON 825 gross tons, 555 net. Lbd: 207'4" x 26'9" x 19'3". Iron paddle steamer, 2 masts schooner rigged built by A. Stephen & Sons, Glasgow for the Clarence & Richmond River S N Co. January 1889 of the Clarence, Ricmond & Macleay Rivers S N Co. September 1891 of the North Coast Steam Navigation Co. 1 deck; Awning Deck; 4 cemented bulkheads. Propulsion: compound oscillating engine with 2 cylinders of 33 & 56 inches diameter respectively; stroke 60 inches; operating at 60 p.s.i.; 150 horsepower; engine built by the same company as the hull. Designed for the Grafton - New South Wales coastal ports trade routes as a passenger-cargo vessel. Used infrequently from the early 1910's and utilised during WW1 as an accommodation vessel for the militiary effort. 1920 she was converted into a lighter and ultimately scuttled off Sydney Heads 1930
COBAKI 257 gross tons. Lbd: 127'4" x 28'3" x 8'5". 37hp with two masts, built at the Manning River of wood in 1918, for Langley Bros. 1926 saw takeover of Langley’s by North Coast S N Co. Sold soon after in 1926 to Illawarra & South Coast S N Co. Stricken from the register in 1937. 1939-45 taken over by the Australian Army. Scuttled in Salt Pan Creek Middle Harbour 1946



Ed Ed Ed Ed
COMARA
1937-79
COOLEBAR
1911-49
COOLOON
1904-18
COOMBAR
1912-56
COMARA image (303144) courtesy Australian War Memorial
COOLEBAR image shown as the Himitangi
COOMBAR (04519r) image courtesy State Library
COMARA 751 gross tons, 411 net. Lbd: 173' x 35'6" x 9'1". Built by Harland & Wolff Ltd Govan, Port Glasgow, for North Coast S N Co. Sold 1954 to Western Australia's State Shipping Service. Sold 1956 to Noumea interests and renamed Damadora del Mar. Sold again 1960-61 (unknown owners) and renamed Comara. Was trading under Panamanian flag in 1976. Scrapped - 15th July 1979
COOLEBAR 479 gross tons. Lbd: 150'3" x 30' x 8'7". Built by Ardrossan Drydock & Shipbuilding Co, for North Coast S N Co. Sold to Holm & Co., Wellington New Zealand and renamed Himatangi in 1929/30. 1931 sold to Anchor Shipping & Foundry Co., Nelson New Zealand. 1936 Sold to Wallarah Colliery of Sydney after being laid up in Wellington since 1931. Sold 1936 to Cam & Sons, Sydney. 1938 sold to North Coast S N Co., Sydney and given original name again. 1939 requisitioned by the Australian Government and named HMAS COOLEBAR for 1939-45 period. Served as a minesweeper 1939 and as stores carrier 1944. 1946 of the Australian Government. Sold 1948 to Fu Chan, of Canton and renamed East River. Sank at her moorings in Newcastle harbour, 29 September 1949. She was raised in pieces and finally broken up in 1958
COOLOON Wooden screw steamship, 239 gross tons, 141 net. Two masts. Lbd: 127'4" x 25'3" x 8'8". Built on Manning River, New South Wales. Struck the bar, drifted ashore and wrecked at Coopernook while attempting to enter the Manning River, 28 February 1918. Engines went into this concern's steamer Cobaki
COOMBAR 594 gross tons. Lbd: 172'8" x 29'7" x 10'10". Built 1912 by Murdoch & Murray, Glasgow for North Coast S.N. Co, Sydney. 1937 W. R. Carpenter & Co, Sydney. 1940 W. Crosby & Co, Melbourne, 1941-1946 RAN Minesweeper. 1946 sold to Singapore interests. 1948 renamed San David, 1949 sold to Haiphong owners renamed Orion, 1956 to Vietnam renamed Trung Thin as a powered lighter, Deleted from register in 1967



Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
COORONG
1862-1911
CORAKI
1879-1900
CORAMBA
1911-34
DEFENDER
1901-18
DOEPEL
1919-54
COORONG (b43752) image & CORAMBA (b42060) image courtesy State Library Victoria
COORONG 391 gross tons. Lbd: 171'1" x 22'4" x 12'2". 2 cylinders producing 70 horsepower. Iron steamship built by J G Lawrie at Port Glasgow for J Darwent of Adelaide. November 1863 with McMeckan Blackwood & Co. July 1877 Mount Gambier Steamship Co Ltd. March 1881 owned by H C Piggot. October 1882 owned by W Whineham, registered Port Adelaide. Worked the South Australian gulf trade in opposition to the Adelaide Steamship Co until purchased by John See in May 1884. December 1891 of the North Coast S N Co., Sydney. Hulked 1911 at Sydney and demolished 1916
CORAKI 275 gross tons, 164 net. Lbd: 139'6" x 26'1" x 8'5". Iron twin screw steamship rigged as a 2 masted schooner built by W B Thompson, Dundee for this concern. Twin compounded engines producing 65 horsepower. 1883 lengthened to to be 159'6" x 26'1" x 8'5" and of 326 gross tons. January 1889 of C R & M R S N Co. 1891 of North Coast S N Co. Wrecked 29th November 1900 in the MacLeay River. A heavy swell swung her into the breakwater at the entrance, holing her and she continued on upstream for 300 yards until sinking in the channel. Declared a total loss and she was 'blown up' to clear the river passageway
CORAMBA 531 gross tons, 221 net. Lbd: 160'3" x 30' x 10'. Steel twin screw steamship of 73 horsepower and built at Ayr, Scotland, for North Coast S N Co., Sydney. Sold during 1932 to Belfast & Koroit S.N. Co. Disappeared without trace in a gale having left Warrnambool for Melbourne on 29 Nov 1934 with a crew of sixteen. Believed to have foundered off Phillip Island, Victoria
DEFENDER 190 gross tons. Lbd: 118'5" x 25'4" x 7'4". Wooden steamship built early 1901 at Kincumber for A Taylor and Co. 36 hp. March 22nd 1901 bought by North Coast S N Co., as a cargo vessel only. Said capable of only 8 knots. July 22nd 1904 sold to New Zealand interests 1904. August 2nd 1918 burnt to the waterline at Wellington Harbour New Zealand when loaded with case oil as cargo
DOEPEL 389 tons. Lbd: 145' x 33' x 9'2". Wooden twin screw steamer, built at Woy Woy, NSW, 1919 for F Doepel. Machinery from the wrecked Bellinger (steamer, 240 ton) was used in her construction. Presumed sold to North Coast S N Co., since 1919. Sold to New Guinea interests in 1947 and renamed Batang. Registered Singapore 1954. Believed foundered off Kutching



Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
DOLPHIN
1884-1914
DORRIGO (1)
1901-17
DORRIGO (11)
1913-26
DURANBAH
1905-43
ELECTRA
1887-1920
DORRIGO (11) (a637255r) image courtesy State Library New South Wales
DURANBAH image courtesy Gold Coast City Library Queensland
ELECTRA amongst the North Coast steamers in the image (04524r) and courtesy State library New South Wales
DOLPHIN 38 tons. Lbd: 61'7" x 14'6" x 4'5". Wooden steamship, single mast cutter rigged. Built by D Sullivan at Berry’s Bay, New South Wales for D Lynch. Capable of 8 knots. March 1886 owned by G W Nicoll. April 1905 owned by North Coast S N Co., Sydney. Demolished 1914
DORRIGO (1) 302 tons. Lbd: 136'1" x 24'9" x 12'6". Wooden steamship built at Balmain by H Hardman as the Dorrigo for G W Nicholl, Sydney. Sold 1904 to North Coast Steam Navigation Co., Sydney. Acquired by Burns-Philp & Co., Sydney 1913 and renamed Misima. Wrecked Meunera Island off New Guinea February 1st 1917
DORRIGO (11) 715 gross tons, 333 net. Lbd: 180'5" x 29'6" x 13'6". Built as a passenger-cargo steamship at Smiths Dock Co Ltd, Middlesborough as the St Francois. Original owner unknown. Acquired 1921 by Langley Brothers Steamship Co., Sydney and renamed. May 1925 acquired by North Coast S N Co Ltd. August 1926 owned by John Burke Ltd and placed on the Sydney - Brisbane - North Queensland run. Sank off Double Island Point on 2 April 1926 with a loss of twenty-two lives
DURANBAH 284 gross tons. Lbd: 130' x 23'1" x 9'2". Steel steamship 37 horsepower 7 knots as built by Scotts of Kinghorn, England for G W Nicoll. Sold on arrival in Australia as delayed part of total takeover to North Coast Steam Navigation Co., Sydney. Acquired by Patrick Steamship Co. Ltd in 1922 Sold to W.R. Carpenter Co in 1925. Fitted with oil engines and placed upon their Pacific Islands route. Believed captured by the Japanese in WW2. Fate unknown. Another source states scrapped 1930s
ELECTRA 395 gross tons, 210 net. Lbd: 160'5" X 27' X 10'9". Steel twin screw passenger-cargo steamer built by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow for the Clarence & Richmond River S N Co. Of 76 horsepower and 11 knots, she was the first ship fitted with electric light to operate between Sydney and the North coast of New South Wales, hence the name. 1891 of North Coast S N Co fleet. Converted into a lighter 1920 and later sold to BHP Ltd., Australia for usage as a Tar storage unit. As a hulk, broken up during the 1930's



Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
EUROKA
1897-1913
FERNMOUNT
1884-1907
GLENREAGH
1919-34
GUNBAR
1912-50
EUROKA amongst the North Coast steamers in the image (04524r) and courtesy State library New South Wales
2nd (sepia) GUNBAR image (a637587r) and courtesy State library New South Wales
EUROKA 170 gross tons. Lbd: 120'4" x 22'1" x 6'9". Steel paddle steamer of passenger capacity built 1897 at Balmain, Sydney for this concern. 1910 sold to Valentine Geary & Co. Sprung a leak in heavy seas near Lake Macquarie, drifted on to Long Reef, near Narrabeen, New South Wales, 19 October 1913. Abandoned when the decks were almost awash and drifted nearly eight kilometres before being carried on to rocks. Note: Aboriginal name for the Sun
FERNMOUNT 269 tons. Lbd: 134' x 25'6" x 8'4". Wooden steamship of 40 horsepower as built at Scott’s Creek, New South Wales for Perrett & McCulloch. March 1885 owned by Perrett & See. March 1885 (again) owned by John See. March 1892 owned by North Coast S N Co. April 1898 sold to On Chong & Co., Sydney. Wrecked in Gilbert islands, 24th December 1907
GLENREAGH 498 gross tons. Lbd: 154'5" x 37'2" x 10'. Wooden twin screw steamship built by Wrights at Tuncurry New South Wales for Allen Taylor. An unusual vessel, she was propelled by triple expansion engines producing 72 horsepower, with two boilers placed side by side and a pair of funnels set athwartship. Very quickly transferred to North Coast S N Co's fleet working Clarence River, Richmond River and Coffs harbour routes. During 1924 -5 she was chartered to Allen Taylor & Co Ltd for the timber trade to Melbourne. Never fully employed at all times in her career with North Coast S N Co., she was sold to Penguin Ltd of Sydney in 1934 and soon after dismantled and converted into a lighter
GUNBAR 481 gross tons, 195 net. Lbd: 150'3" x 30' x 8'7". Steel twin screw passenger steamship built by Ardrossan Drydock & Shipbuilding Co., Glasgow for this concern. 1926 saw new owners named Gunbar Shipping Co., (namely De Pelichet, McLeod & Co Ltd). 1929 returned ownership to North Coast S N Co. Again 1929 sold to Richardson & Co., Ltd., Napier New Zealand. 1935 owned by Smith & Ellis, Sydney. Requisitioned by Australian Armed Forces 1939-45 and used as a minesweeper under name of HMAS Gunbar. Sold to China interests 1946, given the name West River but sale not finalised owing to political problems and this ship was scrapped in Sydney


Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
HASTINGS (1)
1883-1904
HASTINGS (11)
1901-19__
HELEN NICOLL
1882-1932
IRVINGTON
1884-1933
KALLATINA
1890-1930
HELEN NICOLL (gr000729) image courtesy State Library Victoria, IRVINGTON (131961p) image courtesy State Library Queensland
HASTINGS (1) 63 tons. Lbd: 58'4" x 20' x 5'6". Wooden paddle steamer built at Port Stephens, New South Wales for John See. 1892 of North Coast S N Co and used as a drogher on the Manning River up until 1914 when scrapped
HASTINGS (11) 193 gross tons. Lbd: 117'9" x 24'5" x 7'4". Wooden steamship of limited passenger capacity built by D Sullivan of Coopernook New South Wales for Allen Taylor, Sydney. 1904 sold to N Cain. Since owned briefly by North Coast S N Co until sold to John Burke Ltd., Brisbane. Renamed Gundiah. Last known to have ended her days in Tasmanian waters
HELEN NICOLL 384 gross tons, 246 net. Lbd: 157' x 22' x 10'3". Iron steamship built by Gourlay Bros, Dundee for G W Nicoll, Brisbane. Worked on the North Coast of New South Wales in passenger-cargo capacity and remained on that run when sold to John See, Sydney in July 1882. Of North Coast S N Co upon formation in December 1891. August 1893 sold to Anton Schlink of Port Adelaide who placed her on the South Australian run, particularly that State's west coast ports. Extended to Esperance, Western Australia with the advent of gold discoveries and taking in Albany as another port of call. Sold 1896 to A L Harrold and sold yet again in 1897 to J Darling Jnr, who kept her on the South Australia - West Australia trade route. 1901 saw her change ownership again, this time to to James Jones of Sydney, later Jones Bros., Coal Co Ltd., seeing her as a collier only. Demolished with register closed 1932
IRVINGTON Tonnage unknown. Lbd: 70'4" x 15'8" x 5'4". Wooden paddle steamer-drogher, single mast of 15 horsepower built by J Piper, Balmain Sydney for F G Crouch. April 1887 owned by this concern and worked the Richmond River trade. Transferred to the North Coast S N Co 1891 and sold October 1892 to Bell & Shields. November 1924 owned by the Hawksbury River Transport Co. Presumed broken up at Brooklyn circa 1933
KALLATINA 646 gross tons, 380 net. Lbd: 179'1" x 28'2" x 11'4". Steel steamship built by D J Dunlop & Co., Port Glasgow, 1890. Built as a passenger vessel for the Clarence, Richmond & MacLeay Rivers S N Co registered Sydney. The only new addition to the Company under this title. September 1891 of this concern working the north coast run. Sold to John Burke Ltd., Brisbane in June of 1921 and altered to measure 628 gross tons and 306 net. J Burke employed her on the Queensland coastal run and taking in the Gulf of Carpentaria ports until sold circa 1930 and hulked in 1931, lying as a breakwater at Tangalooma, off Moreton island, Queensland


Ed Ed Ed Ed
KINCHELA
1914-36
KYOGLE
1902-51
MACLEAY
1883-1911
MACQUARIE
1909-41
KINCHELA (04988) image & MACQUARIE (04969r) image courtesy State Library New South Wales
KINCHELA 369 gross tons. Lbd: 145' x 31' x 9'5". Wooden twin screw steamship built as the Tamban for the MacLeay Farmers Co-Op Society, New South Wales. June 1922 purchased by North Coast S N Co. Hulked in 1936 at Sydney and her engines and other working machinery were transferred to the Nambucca
KYOGLE 702 gross tons. Lbd: 180'1" x 30'1" x 12'. Cargo vessel built by A & J Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow for this concern. Sold in 1924 to Department of Navigation, Australian Government for use as a lighthouse tender. Resold 1930s to Queensland cement & Lime Co, Brisbane. Ended her days carting coral from Moreton Bay to the cement works at Darra Queensland. Registry closed July 1951. Hull sunk l0 km east of Cape Moreton by RAAF bombing practice May 12, 1951
MACLEAY 398 gross tons, 291 net. Lbd: 155' x 25'3" x 10'7". (47 x 8 metres). Was a single screw coastal cargo and passenger vessel originally built by Forrest and Sons on the River Thames, London, England, for B.B. Nicoll & Co., Sydney in 1883 as the Woodburn. The Woodburn left England on 12 December 1883 and arrived in Sydney on 22 March 1884. The vessel carried 28 passengers as well as cargo and was powered by a twin cylinder steam engine and sail when needed. Ownership passed to Clarence & Ricmond River S N Co. in 1884 and in 1891 of the North Coast Steam Navigation Company. The name of the vessel was changed to MacLeay. Became a popular passenger steamer. Later overhauled for carrying coal. Struck rocks off Boondelbah Island at the entrance to Port Stephens and sank quickly, 11th October 1911. Fifteen crew lost; two survivors
MACQUARIE 493 gross tons. Lbd: 160'2" x 29'1" x 9'. Steel twin screw steamship built at Hull, England for N Cain's Coastal Co-Operative Steamship Co Ltd., Sydney. Worked the Hastings River - Port Macquarie route. Upon liquidation, was sold during 1929 to North Coast S N Co., Sydney as N Cain's last remaining vessel, along with the service and goodwill. Ran the Port Macquarie route until sold again in 1929 to A G Palser of Sydney and registered at Wellington, New Zealand. 1935 was owned by On Chong & Co Ltd., (Sydney). Purchased by W R Carpenter & Co., date unknown who since, in 1937 sold to her to N E A Moller registered Shanghai and renamed Marie Moller. Employed as a salvage vessel. Captured by Japanese forces off Ningpo on December 8th 1941, her fate since unknown


Ed Ed Ed Ed
MAIANBAR
1910-40
MATILDA
1874-94
MELINGA
1928-60
MINIMBAR
1909-10
Ed
MINIMBAR
13th April 1910
MAIANBAR 487 gross tons, 237 net. Lbd: 155'6" x 28'1" x 9'2". Steel twin screw passenger ship built by Ardrossan Drydock & Shipbuilding Co, Glasgow for this concern. She boasted 'electric light' and refrigeration and worked the north coast New South Wales ports. Lengthened 1920 to be of 513 gross and 229 net tons. New Lbd: 175'6" x 28'1" x 9'2". With reconstruction she had her passenger accomodation removed. 1937 sold to Port Stephens Steamship Co Ltd., Sydney and acquired 1940 again by this concern. Wrecked at Nobby's Beach off Newcastle, New South Wales after breaking from tow on a voyage Newcastle NSW to Sydney in ballast 5th May 1940
MATILDA 11 gross tons. Lbd: 45'2" x 8'6" x 4'0". Wooden steamship of 8 horsepower built by W Dunn, Lavender Bay Sydney and purchased upon completion by ASN Co., 1874. Sold 1875 to unknown owners, it's believed she passed through many ownership changes until 1891 when owned by North Coast S N Co., Sydney. Sold 1894 to Barrie & Williams. No further trace since and register finally closed 1953 as 'No Trace'
MELINGA 536 gross tons. Lbd: 154'1" x 34'6" x 8'5". Steel motor vessel built by Burmeister & Wain at Copenhagen for this concern. Of 98 horsepower. Sold 1954 to Maurice Bern (M Bern Shipping Co), Sydney who engaged her on the New Guinea run. Later she was renamed Etmor. Problems with engine valves burning out too soon saw her laid up for considerable time at Circular Quay Sydney. Sold late 1959 early 1960 only to be cut down and employed as a dumb barge on the Brisbane river
MINIMBAR 460 gross tons. Lbd: 155' x 28'1" x 9'2". Steel twin screw steamship of 99 horsepower as built at Port Glasgow. Designed specifically for the Manning River trade as a passenger - cargo vessel, she was only on her fourth voyage, this time ex Sydney stopping over at Newcastle and onward to the Manning River when on the 13th April 1910, she struck at the end of the Manning River wall, while crossing the bar. Broke her back and became a total wreck. Her engines were salvaged and used in the Maianbar which was built to replace her



Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
MYEE
1903-26
NAMBUCCA
1936-45
NARANI
1914-54
NERONG
1903-17
NIMBIN
1927-1940
MYEE (04618r) image aground at Bellingen bar off Nambucca heads, courtesy State Library New South Wales
NAMBUCCA image (01679r) beached at Coffs Harbour image courtesy State Library New South Wales
NARANI image (301075) courtesy Australian War Memorial
MYEE 144 tons. Lbd: 100'1" x 20'1" x 6'4". Steel twin screw steamship of 24 horsepower as built by Bow, McLachlan of Paisley Scotland for this concern. Shipped out in sections and assembled at Rowntree's Dock Balmain Sydney. Doubled as a drogher especially where any 'stranded' steamship needed to lighten their load onto the Myee, as her shallow draught made her most suitable. Sold 1926 to Allen Taylor & Co., and cut down as a lighter. Scuttled in the ‘disposal area’ off Sydney heads, 3 August 1933
NAMBUCCA 489 gross tons. Lbd: 153' x 35'1" x 9'9". Wooden twin screw steamship of 48 horsepower, built at Tuncurry for this concern. Her machinery came from the dismantled Kinchela in 1936. Saw service for Australia's defence effort as a mine sweeper, only to be lost by fire while serving with US Army small fleet in the Pacific islands
NARANI 381 gross tons. Lbd: 148'6" x 33'2' x 8'7". Wooden twin screw steamship, built 1914 by E. Wright, Cape Hawke, (Tuncurry) New South Wales for Allen Taylor & Co., Sydney. 1919-20 of North Coast S.N. Co., ownership. Sold 1924 to Illawarra & South Coast S N Co., Sydney. 1940-1946 Royal Australian Navy minesweeper, 1951 sold to New Guinea Borneo Mangrove Co., Port Moresby. 1954 broken up
NERONG 219 tons. Lbd: 119'8" x 22' x 7'9". Steel twin screw steamship of 27 horsepower and built at Sydney. 19th September 1919 foundered during inclement weather off Norah Head, New South Wales
NIMBIN 1,052 gross tons. Lbd: 215' x 35'1" x 11'9". Steel motor vessel built by Burmeister & Wain at Copenhagen for this concern, and their first motor vessel in a fleet of steam powered ships. Worked the Lismore run and gained the nickname 'Tin hare' on account of her speediness. She had left Coffs Harbour and sunk approximately 8 nautical miles off Norah Head, Sydney on 5th December1940 after hitting a mine laid by the German auxiliary cruiser Pinguin. Seven souls including the Captain perished


Ed Ed Ed Ed
NOOREBAR
1904-37
NYMBOIDA
1872-1913
OAKLAND
1890-1903
ORARA (1)
1898-99
NYMBOIDA as the OTWAY (b49655) image courtesy State Library Victoria
NOOREBAR 670 gross tons, 309 net. Lbd 185'1" x 28'1" x 12'4". Steel steamship Built by Scotts of Kinghorn Ltd., Kinghorn for G. W Nicoll, and sold to the North Coast Steam Navigation Company prior to completion along with remaining fleet. Operated on the northern coast rivers and coast as a passenger cargo vessel, with capacity for 80 passengers. 1920 sold to Fiji Shipping Co., Suva. 1924 sold to Dutch East Indies ownership at Djambi Sumatra. 1932 reported to have been sold for scrapping purposes however was reported to be at Rabaul during the 1937 eruptions (earthquake/volcano?). Possibly escaped, and may since have been a victim to the Japanese during World War 2
NYMBOIDA 446 gross tons, 271 net. Lbd: 180' x 25' x 12'. Iron steamship of 93 horsepower, 2 masts as built Blackwood & Gordon, Glasgow for the Warrnambool Steam Packet Co, Melbourne. Designed as a passenger vessel for their Melbourne - Western Districts of Victoria run, carrying the name Otway. May 1878 C V Robinson & Partners, Melbourne. November 1878 Lilly & Marshall, whom together with Anderson, became the Western Australian Shipping Company. That concern folded selling all to Adelaide Steamship Co in May 1883. Refitted 1883 to 203' x 25'2" x 12' with tonnage 563 gross. 1892 sold to A Jouve & Co, Noumea. June 1897 E F Knoblauch, reg Sydney. October 1897 sold to Illawarra S N Co Ltd., Sydney and employed as cargo only vessel. June 1901 sold to North coast S N Co and in August renamed Nymbodia. Hulked 1913 and scrapped 1930
OAKLAND 398 gross tons. Lbd: 154' x 24' x 10'5". Steel steamship porducing 70 horsepower as built by Murray Brothers, Dumbarton, Glasgow for William Yeager of Sydney 1890. Sold to North Coast S N Co., in 1898. May 1903 wrecked on Cabbage Tree Island, off Port Stephens, New South Wales during a heavy gale. cargo shifted sank with loss of 11 lives, survivors were picked up by the Bellinger
ORARA (1) 298 tons. Lbd: 113'8" x 24'7" x 11'1". Wooden steamship, two compounded engines producing 48 horsepower and fitted as a 2 masted schooner. Built by H Hardman. Jervis Bay, New South Wales for this concern. 16th March 1899 at Tweed Heads, totally wrecked
NOTE: There was a previous Orara built by Rock Davis in 1894 and wrecked 1895 but not of this concern's ownership


Ed Ed Ed
ORARA (11)
1907-46
1st image & 2nd image of Orara and Fitzroy at Coffs Harbour personal collection
3rd (01622r) image courtesy State Library New South Wales
ORARA (11) 1,297 gross tons, 629 net. Lbd: 240'3" x 33'9" x 19'9". Steel passenger steamship equiped with triple expansion engines producing 216 horsepower. Built by Scott of Kinghorn Ltd., Kinghorn, for this concern. Designed for their passenger service between Sydney and Byron Bay, New South Wales, she could carry 150 first class and 50 second class travellers. Utilised as a minesweeper during 1939-45, returned to her owners in 1946 and remained 'laid up' at Sydney. Her design, age and the effect of Naval conversion on her original essential dimensions left her unviable as a working ship within the fleet and she was sold to Chinese interests in 1947. Renamed Pearl River in 1948 upon reaching Shanghai. Renamed Hong Shan in 1949 and renamed Santos in 1950. It was under this name when, on the 19th of June 1950 she struck a mine in the Yang-tse River mouth at Woosung and sank with a loss of many lives


OURIMBAH
1890-1909
OUR JACK
1907-21
OXLEY
1924-44
PELICAN
1890-15
PERSEVERENCE
1872-1944
No images available
OURIMBAH 750 tons. Steel steamship built likely at Glasgow in 1890. Never made it to Australian waters as she foundered off the South African coast on 26th November 1909 on her delivery voyage for this concern. When owned/purchased is unknown. Original name etc unknown
OUR JACK 272 gross tons, 152 net. Lbd: 133' x 28' x 6'8". Wooden twin screw steamship, two compounded engines producing 30 horsepower as built by J Wright & Co.,Tuncurry, New South Wales. Designed with limited passenger accomodation and was owned by J Wright (who constructed her) and Allen Taylor & Co in a joint venture. Carried mostly timber along the northern coastal ports to Sydney and lost trade to the expanding railways and motor vehicle transport industries. 1920 transferred over to the North Coast S N Co. 25th June 1921 she foundered in a gale near Manning River, New South Wales with only four souls surviving the ordeal
OXLEY 124 gross tons. Lbd: 91'8" x 25'3" x 6'3'. Wooden twin screw steamship, built Sydney for unknown owner. Used as a drogher on the Manning River before being owned by this concern who then operated her on the New South Wales north coast. Deleted from the register after 1944
PELICAN 96 gross tons. Lbd: 76'6" x 21'9" x 5'4". Wooden steamship of 18 horsepower as built at Balmain, Sydney for the Clarence and Richmond River S N Co., and taken delivery of under the Clarence, Richmond & MacLeay River S N Co. 1891 transferred to North Coast S N Co. Scrapped 1915
PERSEVERENCE 95 gross tons, 60 net. Lbd: 120' x 22'3" x 4'3'. ON64377. Iron hulled, sternwheel paddle steamship, single mast as built at Mort's Dock & Engineering Co., Balmain Sydney for the Clarence & New England S.N. Co, Sydney. Held a 2 cylinder steam engine of 36 horsepower, again built by Morts, Balmain. Desinged for the Northern Rivers of NSW, particularly the Clarence where she ran cargo inland to and from the ocean-going steamships. Sold August 1879 to Nipper and See. January 1884 owned by John See. 1891 transferred over to the North Coast S N Co, Sydney. Struck from the register 1944 as 'not required'


Ed Ed Ed Ed
POONBAR
1913-51
PULGANBAR
1912-51
PYRMONT
1902-13
POONBAR 1st image (02207r) courtesy State Library New South Wales
POONBAR 2nd image (134559p) courtesy State Library Queensland
POONBAR 909 gross tons, 421 net. Lbd: 200'4" x 34'1" x 12'2". Steel twin screw steamship built 1913 by Murdoch & Murray, Glasgow for North Coast S N Co, Sydney as a cargo vessel. Was of 98 horsepower. At the time she was their largest cargo vessel and intended for the Lismore trade on the Richmond River. Here then, with her twin screws and overall length, the narrow arms and bends of that river saw her oversized and stranded several times. Often her decks were scattered with tree branches and whatever lifeforms, coiled or nested in them also found the ship's deck. It spoke volumes about her being a pure ocean going vessel only. Sold during 1927 to S H Hammond, Tasmania. Placed upon the Hobart - Sydney - Brisbane service. Latersame year ran a Brisbane - Northern Rivers of New South Wales Service fortnightly, alternating with a Brisbane - Sydney - Brisbane service. A tough arena was the Brisbane - Northern Rivers trade and, he succumbed finanically with the Corrimal being sold in November 1927 and the Poonbar being laid up pending sale. Sold January 1928 Nelson & Robertson Pty Ltd., Brisbane, who almost immediately chartered her out long term to John Burke & Co., Brisbane. 1936 saw Ivan Nelson, Brisbane hold full ownership. Ran for John Burke & Co until 1947 (unsure if he ever purchased this vessel) when sold to Manners & Co, Hong Kong (Panama registry) renamed San Ernesto. 1950 to Wallem & Co., Panama. 1951 scrapped Hong Kong
PULGANBAR 1,160 gross tons, 474 net. Lbd: 225' x 35'1" x 12'5". Steel steamship built by Greenoch & Grangemouth Dockyard Co Ltd., Grangemouth, Scotland in 1912 for this concern. Of triple expansion 4 cylinder engines producing 325 horsepower. Constructed as a passenger vessel of two classes serving Sydney and northern river ports as far as Byron Bay in considerable comfort for the era. Served WW2 1939-46 as a stores ship. Sold 1948 to Chinese interests and renamed Yang-tse River, renamed in 1949 as Tamara. Scrapped 1951
PYRMONT 215 gross tons, 80 net. Lbd: 122'6" x 25' x 8'1". Wooden steamer built by D Sullivan, Coopernook, New South Wales for Allen Taylor, R M Anderson and N Cain, registered Sydney. Compounded engine of 35 horsepower. Fitted to carry passengers. Sold 1904 to North Coast Steam Navigation Co., Sydney. Acquired by Burns-Philp & Co., Sydney 1910 and renamed Mindoro. Wrecked near Dedele, New Guinea April 1913


Ed Ed
RAMORNIE (1)
1869-99
RAMORNIE (11)
1902-26
RAMORNIE (11) (04508r) image courtesy State Library New South Wales
RAMORNIE (1) 86 tons. Lbd: 92'9" x 22' x 4'7". Iron side paddle steamer built at the ASN Co's Pyrmont workshops, Sydney for this concern. Remained in the fleet with the Company's name changes up to probably 1889-1900. Eventually ‘rotted away’ - lost 31st January 1893, Clarence river New South Wales. This vessel built in 1869 official register was closed 1944
RAMORNIE (11) 546 gross tons. Lbd: 148'2" x 28'1" x 9'6". Steel twin screw passenger steamship built by A and J Inglis on the Clyde at Glasgow for this concern. Of 86 horsepower. Had passenger berths removed in 1916. 1919 Purchased by McCorkill of Perth, Australia. 1920 acquired by D. Reese of Christchurch New Zealand. 1925 Change of Name to Opua after being purchased by Opua Shipping Co of Christchurch with D.Reese as Managers. 1925 Bought by Anchor Shipping Co Ltd, of New Zealand. 2nd October 1926 lost off Tora near Pallister Bay New Zealand


Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
ROCKLILY
1906-27
ROSEDALE
1877-1911
ST GEORGE
1895-1920
SEAGULL (1)
1910-1919+
SEAGULL (11)
1926
ROCKLILY & ROSEDALE images personal collection
ST GEORGE at background with Terara in front (04834r) image courtesy State Library New South Wales
ROCKLILY 218 gross tons. Lbd: 117'7" x 27'9" x 9'. Wooden steamship of 30 horsepower built at Kincumber, New South Wales. Serviced ports frequented by this concern as well as taking in some voyages to Brisbane Queensland. 1915 sold to Westons of Sydney. 1923 sold to Saddington Dixon. Demolished 1927.
NOTE; There were two 'Rocklily's' built and servicing the region at the same time. The first 'Rocklily' as a paddle steamer was built for R & A Langley, (see their webpage on this site) whilst the one mentioned here merely involved Langley's as shareholders within North Coast S N Co. from 1925/6
ROSEDALE 274 gross tons, 164 net. Lbd: 140'1" x 26'1" x 8'5". Iron twin screw steamship of 2 compounded engines producing 65 horsepower and rigged as a schooner of 2 masts. Built by W B Thompson, Dundee as a passenger - cargo vessel for the Gippsland S N Co., Melbourne. Sold in 1883 to Nipper & See. 1884 owned by John See. Of North Coast S N Co 1891. Went missing having sailed from Nambucca River on the 15th September 1911 bound for Sydney. Wreck was found located off Port MacQuarie in 1995
ST GEORGE 515 gross tons, 288 net. Lbd: 161' x 25'5" x 12'7". Steel steamship built by J L Thompson & Sons Ltd., Sunderland England for the St George Steamship Co, Liverpool, England as a passenger vessel. Sold April 1898 to W Yeager registered at Sydney. November 1898 acquired by North Coast S N Co., Sydney and worked the north coast run of New South Wales. Sold to Loo Tom Fin, Island Merchant of Sydney and traded from December 1915 to South Pacific Islands. Records state she ran aground about june 1920 and rumoured to have been hulked circa 1930 but no water-tight evidence is known
SEAGULL (1) 96 gross tons. Lbd: 86'4" x 21'4" x 7'7". Wooden steamship built at Stockton, New South Wales. Sold July 1919 to Allen Taylor & Co. Fate unknown
SEAGULL (11) Wooden steamship, no details known except she was lost off Newcastle, New South Wales August 1926. As with Seagull built 1910, it is likely this is the same vessel but, until better proof is obtained, such shall be classified as separate ships


Ed Ed Ed Ed
SETTLERS FRIEND
1866-1908
TAMBAR
1912-60
TERARA
1885-1920
THE GRAND
1883-92
TAMBAR in Holyman colours on Gippsland Lakes image personal collection
TERARA foreground in front of St George image courtesy State Library New South Wales
SETTLERS FRIEND 450 gross tons, 31 net. Lbd: 84'6" x 13'4" x 5'6". ON52389. Wooden hulled, stern wheel paddle steamship of 12 horsepower and single mast, built by E G Chowne, Grafton for H J Major & Partners, Sydney. April 1867 owned by Clarence & New England S N Co Ltd. 1869 owned by Thomas Bawden, Grafton. January 1878 owned by George Harris, registered Brisbane. March 1879 owned by John Ritchie, Sydney. March 1882 acquired by John See. December 1891 transferred over to North Coast S N Co. Register closed during 1908 as 'abandoned'. Spent most of her NSW career upon the Clarence River
TAMBAR 456 tons. Lbd: 145'2" x 30'1" x 8'7". Steel twin screw steamship of 73 horsepower built at Grangemouth, 1912 for the North Coast S N Co., Sydney. Operated on the New South Wales north coast run. Sold to New guinea interests 1919. Sold to Tasmanian Government in 1928, then Holyman & Sons. WW2 was commissioned by the Royal Australian Navy as a minesweeper. Returned to Holyman's in 1946. Scrapped at Melbourne 1960
TERARA 152 gross tons. Lbd: 125'3" x 20' x 6'7". Iron paddle steamer of 30 horsepower as built by Atlas Engineering Co., Sydney, for the Illawarra S N Co., Sydney. Steam tender, and later a ferry at Newcastle. June 1896 sold to North Coast S N Co and operated on the New South Wales north coast run. Sold 1914 to New South Wales Government. Abandoned opposite Tea Gardens, near Sydney circa 1920
THE GRAND 66 gross tons. Lbd: 90'2" x 13' x 7'8". Steel steamship. Two cylinder single compound engine producing 76 horsepower. One mast. Built by Foreman & Co., Yarrabank Melbourne for John See. December 1891 of the North Coast S N Co. Demolished 1892



Ed Ed Ed Ed
TIMARU
1883-1922
TINTENBAR
1908-24
TOMKI
1882-1907
TYALGUM
1925-39
images shown as postcards in issue
TIMARU 459 gross tons. Lbd: 150' x 27' x 10'6". Iron steamship of 70 horsepower, three masts as built at Sunderland, England for unknown New Zealand owners. Several owners since, again unknown. Was of the obscure concern known as Brisbane & Clarence Rivers S N Co., and sold to Patrick Steamship Co Ltd. Sold from that concern to the North Coast S N Co., Sydney during July 1922. Sold December 1922 to Adelaide interests and hulked soon after
TINTENBAR 668 gross tons. Lbd: 185'5" x 30'2" x 10'7". Steel steamship of 115 horsepower as built by Ardrossan Drydock & Shipbuilding Co, Glasgow for North Coast S N Co, and operated on New South Wales north coast run. Chartered to the Australian Commonwealth Government in 1923. Lost ashore on New Ireland, New Guinea, 1924
TOMKI 589 gross tons, 376 net. Lbd: 180' x 27'2" x 14'4". Steel twin screw steamship built by R & H Green at Blackwell, London for Clarence & Richmond Rivers S N Co Ltd. January 1889 of the Clarence, Richmond & MacLeay Rivers S N Co Ltd. September 1891 of this concern as North Coast S N Co Ltd., Sydney. Serviced Sydney and the Northern ports and rivers of and along the New South Wales coastline in her capacity as a passenger-cargo vessel. Ultimately wrecked 14th September 1907 on the Richmond River bar, on Ballina beach
Note: The postcard shown of this vessel above sold on Ebay auction early 2007 for AU$178.00
TYALGUM 544 gross tons. Lbd: 160' x 34'7" x 8'5". Steel twin screw passenger cargo vessel built by Lithgows, Port Glasgow for this concern. 25th August 1939 wrecked at Tweed Heads, New South Wales at the breakwater near Lovers Rock. Efforts to salvage her were made to no avail, and she was declared a total loss on September 6th. Sold at auction and dismantled for scrap where she lay


Ed
UKI
1923-60
UKI image of the Harry Renfrew Collection courtesy Clydebuilt Shipping website
UKI 545 gross tons. Lbd:152'9" x 34'6" x 8'5". Steel twin screw passenger cargo steamship, of 70 horsepower as built by Lithgows, Port Glasgow for this concern. Carried passengers and turpentine timber piles from the northern ports to Sydney. On December 11, 1939 she was commissioned as a minesweeper to aid in the war efforts. The 'Uki', like other vessels including the 'Orara', 'Coolebar' and 'Nambucca', was converted with sweeping gear (guns) and extra accommodation to detonate mines. Although the loss of these vessels were felt by the North Coast Company, their contributions to protecting Australia's coastal waters during WWII were imperative. Sold to M. Bern & Co in 1954, and hulked in Brisbane in 1960. Stripped and scuttled off Tangalooma, Moreton Island in June 1976 as breakwater


Ed Ed Ed
ULMARRA
1923-63
ULOOM
1863-1909
URALBA
1942-64
ULOOM amongst the North Coast steamers in the image (04524r) and courtesy
State library New South Wales
URALBA at Station Pier Port Melbourne, postcard issued in the era
ULMARRA 924 gross tons, 439 net. Lb: 200' x 33'1". Passenger Cargo Vessel built 1923 by Lithgows Ltd, Glasgow for North Coast S.N. Co, Sydney, 1955 Cambay Prince Steam Ship Co Ltd (mng John Manners & Co), Hong Kong renamed Rozelle Breeze, 1958 to Cia de Nav Palomar SA (mng John Manners & Co, Hong Kong), Panama renamed Papagayo. 1962 Universal Nav Co Ltd, Hong Kong. 1963 sank during a typhoon off Hong Kong
ULOOM 115 tons. Lbd: 102' x 18'4" x 6'6". Iron side paddle steamer, single engine producing 25 horsepower and single masted. Built at the Pyrmont workshops of Australasian S N Co., Sydney for this concern. Altered 1869 to be Lbd: 100'4" x 18'4" x 5'6" and 90 tons. Remained within the fleet during Company's name changes until register closed 1909
URALBA 602 gross tons. Lbd: 154'8" x 37' x 9'3". Wooden twin screw steamship, of 62 horsepower built Tuncurry, New South Wales. One of the last vessels constructed of timbers owing to the shortage of materials during World War 2. Requisitioned by the Royal Australian Navy upon completion and utilised as a minesweeper in 1942. Sold to Melbourne interests (possibly the State Electricity Commission) in 1947. Partially broken up 1964. Remains are now an artificial reef off Carrum in Port Phillip Bay, Victoria


Ed Ed Ed Ed
URALLA
1926-28
URANA
1924-37
WALLAMBA
1917-23
WELLINGTON
1884-92
URALLA (19677) image courtesy State Library New South Wales
URALLA 528 gros tons. Lbd: 153' x 34'6" x 8'5". Steel twin screw steamship, 59 horsepower as built at Grangmouth, England for this concern. She had sailed from Coffs Harbour on the 12th June 1928 for Sydney via Newcastle with a cargo of stringybark logs and other sawn timber. Having loaded more cargo at Newcastle the following day, and in dubious weather conditions, she headed out south for the short run to Sydney. 14th June 1928 wrecked upon Stockton beach, New South Wales after enduring gale force conditions that drove her ashore
URANA 518 gross tons. Lbd: 153' x 34'6" x 8'5". Steel twin screw passenger Cargo steamship built by Lithgows Port Glasgow for this concern. 31st August 1937 wrecked upon a reef located near Old Bar, New South Wales
WALLAMBA 331 gross tons. Lbd: 142'5" x 34'8" x 7'1". Wooden twin screw steamship built by Wrights at Tuncurry for Allen Taylor & Co jointly with E Wright & Co. Sported a stove pipe extension on her funnel. Her engines came from the wrecked Ellerslie. 1919 sold to North Coast S N Co. Wrecked in foggy conditions on Morna Point, New South Wales on the 11th July 1923
WELLINGTON 182 gross tons. Lbd: 125'2" x 21'5' x 7'8". Iron steamship, compounded S C Inverted Engine producing 55 horsepower and rigged with 2 masts. Built by Burrel & Son. Dumbarton Glasgow for John See. December 1891 of the North Coast S N Co. 3rd December 1892 wrecked upon the Nambucca bar. No loss of lives


Ed Ed Ed
TIMETABLE for ORARA & WOLLONGBAR (11)
Sydney - Brisbane via Byron Bay


Ed Ed
WOLLONGBAR (1)
1911-21
WOLLONGBAR (11)
1922-43
WOLLONGBAR (1) (a640348r) ashore 1921 image courtesy courtesy State Library New South Wales
WOLLONGBAR (1) 2,005 gross tons, 811 net. Lbd: 285'5" x 40'2" x 23'8". Steel coal fired twin screw passenger ship built Ailsa Shipbuilding Co Ltd., Troon. Two funnels 4 cylinder Triple expansion of 180 nhp she could make 20 knots. 332 horsepower. She was about to embark passengers when a gale blew up, her Master deciding to put to sea however a line fouled one of the screws and she was driven ashore and lost at Byron Bay, 14 May 1921. She was dismantled where she lay
WOLLONGBAR (11) 2,239 gross tons, 874 net. Lbd: 285'1" x 42'1" x 23'9". Steel steamship of two funnels built by Lithgows Ltd., Glasgow, to replace vessel of same name wrecked Byron Bay, 1921. 218 horsepower. Capable of 20 knots. This replacement vessel along with the Orara became very popular for passengers in a service that ran Sydney to Byron Bay and from there connected to Brisbane via omnibus. Torpedoed by Japanese submarine off Crescent Head, New South Wales, 29 April 1943. No passengers aboard however 32 crew perished with only five survivors


Ed Ed Ed Ed
WOLLUMBIN
1893-1905
WYANGERIE
1938-76
WYRALLAH (1)
1887-1924
WYRALLAH (11)
1934-19__
WYRALLAH (1) (b38415) 2nd image courtesy cState Library Victoria
WOLLUMBIN 231 gross tons. Lbd: 112'9" x 24'7" x 10'3". Wooden steamship of 45 horsepower and built at jervis bay, New South Wales for G W Nicoll. 10th November 1905 wrecked near the Bellinger River
WYANGERIE 1,068 gross tons. Lbd: 215' x 36'5" x 13'. Steel motor vessel, od 263 horsepower, built by Burmeister & Wain, Copenhagen, 1938 for this concern. Operated on the New South Wales north coast run. Sold mid 1954 to Howard Smith Ltd., and renamed Mourilyan. Sold April 1963 to Eastern interests with John Manners & Co., as managers, and ship renamed Tong Leong. 1964 renamed Rita. 1965 Baringo. Later renamed Fagaras. Finally sold to Loy Kee of Hong Kong in August 1976 for scrapping purposes
WYRALLAH (1) 302 gross tons, 205 net. Lbd: 140' x 22'3" x 13'2". Iron twin screw steamship built at Mort's Dock & Engineering Co., Balmain Sydney for Bruce B Nicoll, registered Sydney. Twin compounded engines producing 45 horsepower as coal fired. Passenger cargo status. October 1891 acquired by North Coast S N Co for use along their New South Wales northern rivers trade. 1895 chartered out to Burns Philp Co running the mail service between Albany and Esperance on the West coast and later the mainland to Noumea, New Caledonia on one occassion. Sold April 1900 to G A Carpenter of Melbourne. September 1900 acquired by Gippsland Steamers Pty Ltd. 1895 chartered out to Burns Philp Co running the mail service between Albany and Esperance on the West coast and later the mainland to Noumea, New Caledonia on one occassion. Under Gippsland steamers she met her demise when sunk in a collision with the Dilkera during a squall off Point Nepean Victoria
WYRALLAH (11) 1,049 tons. Lbd: 216'4" x 36'7" x 8'3". Steel motor vessel built by Burmeister & Wain at Copenhagen, 1934. Worked the Lismore run until commissioned by the Royal Australian Navy in 2nd September 1940. February 1942 renamed HMAS Wilcannia as a patrol vessel. Returned to owners post hostilities and reverted to her original name and service. Sold 1954 to John Burke & Co., Brisbane. Sold 1961 to Noumea interests (Captain Emile Savoie) in 1960 and renamed Colorado del Mar. Sold in 1964, to Fiji interests and renamed Tamata (whilst stranded ashore for some time). Returned to Noumea ownership and renamed back to Colorado del Mar. Of Singapore owners in 1972 and renamed Union Pacific. 1973 renamed Ocean Life, in 1976 as Sri Mahkota, and in 1979 as Sinar Surya. Was still trading in mid 1990s


Ed Ed Ed Ed
WYOMING
1890-1911
YAAMBA
1864-1910
YUGILBAR
1907-33
YUGILBAR (04523r) 2nd image courtesy State Library New South Wales
WYOMING 258 gross tons. Lbd: 132' x 23' x 10'3". Wooden steamship of 30 horsepower built at Brisbane Water, New South Wales for W G yeager. Sold mid 1898 to North Coast S N Co. Sold 1908 to unknown owners. 10th October 1911 wrecked upon Kiola Beach
YAAMBA 98 gross tons, 76 net. Lbd: 102' x 20'2" x 6'1". ON49260. Iron hulled stern wheel paddle steamer, 2 masted and schooner rigged built for the Australasian Steam Nav Co, Sydney at their Pyrmont workshops. Held steam engine of 24 horsepower. Designed for service upon the Fitzroy River, Rockhampton. 24 July 1965 struck Eagle Rock in the Fitsroy River and sank. Raised and repaired. 1873 converted to side wheel paddles. September 1877 sold to F O'Brien & Partners, NSW. August 1880 sold to J Ritchie, Clarence River. Later in 1880 owned by John See. December 1891 sold to North Coast S N Co., Sydney. Broken up 1910. Serviced in her career the Fitzroy River and the Northern Rivers of New South Wales YUGILBAR 799 gross tons 372 net, 372 net. Lbd: 199'5" x 32' x 11'. Steel twin screw steamship built by Ailsa Shipbuiling Co., Troon Glasgow for this concern. As a passenger - cargo vessel, she worked the MacLeay River to Sydney route. Sold 1925 to Burns Philp (South Seas) Ltd., registered in Suva and renamed Makatea. Scuttled off Mbenga island 1933


DROGHERS
Ed Ed Ed Ed
BOWRA
1899-
CASINO
c 1900
COOPERNOOK
c 1904
CORNSTALK
1877-1921
COOPERNOOK & CORNSTALK amongst the North Coast steamers in the image (04524r) and courtesy State library New South Wales
BOWRA Drogher built on the Landsdowne River New South Wales of Manning River timber by D Sullivan. Lbd: 80' x 20' x 2'. Stern wheel. John Cox first Captain. No other details
CASINO Wooden steamship seen here in the foreground alongside the Tomki. Worked the Richmond River. No other details known
COOPERNOOK Wooden steamship built for Allen Taylor & Co. Acquired by North Coast S N Co during 1904 and used as a drogher on the Macleay River. Little else known
CORNSTALK 145 gross tons. Lbd: 95 x 21'4" x 5'2". Iron stern wheel paddle steamer built at Sydney and used as a Drogher on the MacLeay River. Demolished 1921


CUDGEN
__-1928
DOVE
late 1800's
EMMA PYERS
1905-43
ERIC
1885-18__
CUDGEN Wooden steamship. Worked the Tweed River New South Wales as a drogher. Lbd: 77' x 18' x 6'. Destroyed by fire on 16th January 1928. Remains abandoned
DOVE Wooden stern wheel paddle steamer used as a drogher on the Nambucca River New South Wales. No other details
EMMA PYERS 73 gross tons. Lbd: 78'8" x 16'6" x 5'6". Wooden steamship built on the Richmond River New South Wales for B B Nicoll. Early 1890's sold to North Coast S N Co. Used as a drogher on the Tweed River until abandoned 1930 as beyong repair
ERIC 177 gross tons. Lbd: 91' x 28'6" x 4'6". Wooden side wheel paddle steamer of 10 horsepower. Used on the Bellinger River until wrecked on the wall at Uranga, New South Wales


KEYSTONE
1863-1908
LORNA
1885-1912
MANNING
1878-1937
OTUS
1891
KEYSTONE 56 tons. Lbd: 76' x 17' x 3'5". Wooden sterm whell steamer making 8 horsepower and built on the Nambucca River New South Wales for A B Howland. Sold 1892 to North Coast S N Co and used as a drogher untilabandoned as beyond repair 1908
LORNA 41 gross tons. Lbd: 62'3" x 15'5" x 5'6". Wooden steamship built at Sydney for Nipper & See. Of North Coast S N Co at formation in 1891. Used as a drogher on the Clarence River until hulked 1912
MANNING 89 gross tons, 56 net. Lbd: 109'5" X 18'9" X 5'9". Iron paddle steamer 30 horsepower as built by Atlas Works, Darling Harbour Sydney for the Manning River S N Co. August 1881 owned by J Ritchie. March 1882 owned by John See. December 1891 of North Coast S N Co., and used as a drogher. Ws always employed by her owners on the Manning River. Demolished 1937 whilst her remains at a Taree riverbank have been declared an 'Historic Wreck'
OTUS 51 gross tons. Lbd: 63'5" x 16'4" x 5'4". Wooden steamship built at Sydney for work on the Richmond River as a Drogher. Fate unknown


SABRINA
1869-52
SAMSON
1885-1908
WATER LILY
1880-1908
WAUCHOPE
1920-42
SABRINA 16 gross tons. Lbds: 53'2" x 12'2" x 4'1". Wooden steamship built at Balmain, Sydney as a Drogher. 9 horsepower. Fate unknown except registry on her finally closed 1952
SAMSON 101 gross tons. Lbd: 90' x 20' x 4'5". Stern wheel paddle steamer built on the Myall River. Foundered, sank off Crowdy Head, New South Wales 24th December 1908
WATER LILY 96 gross tons, 61 net. Lbd: 72'4" X 19'5" X 5'6". Wooden stern wheel paddle steamer built and owned by J Booth, Balmain Sydney. o/n: 75058. Held a 2 cylinder non-condensing engine of 25 hp from Morts Dock, Balmain. Single mast amidship. June 1884 owned by Hunter River New S N Co, Ltd Newcastle. November 1885 owned by John See. December 1891 owned by North Coast S N Co, Sydney. Employed as a drogher. Register closed 1908 as abandoned - irrepairable
WAUCHOPE 120 gross tons. Lbd: 100' x 26' x 6'2'. Wooden steamship built at Sydney as a drogher for Allen Taylor & Co. No doubt was used as a drogher for North Coast S N Co., operations where practical. 5th April 1942 whilst under tow by the Arakoon Sydney bound, she foundered and sank off Port Stephens New South Wales


Possibly NORTH COAST S N Co owned vessels
COPMANHURST
GLADSTONE
JAP
KING EDWARD
1925
COPMANHURST Wooden stern wheel paddle steamer. Worked the Clarence River as a drogher. No other details
GLADSTONE Steam powered drogher. Worked the MacLeay River. No other details known
JAP Wooden stern wheel paddle steamer. Worked the Manning River. No other details except was never registered
KING EDWARD Drogher on the MacLeay River. Sustained broken back on the slipway in February 1925. No other deatails


MACKSVILLE
OSPREY
1879-1953
PENDLE HILL
QUEEN OF THE SOUTH
1877-1919
MACKSVILLE Wooden stern wheel paddle steamer. Worked the Nambucca River as a drogher. Was abandoned upon the reaches of that river. No other details
OSPREY 35 gross tons. Lbd: 66'2" x 13'7" x 4'8". Wooden steamship of 11 horsepower and built by 'unknown' for W Dunn, Berry's Bay New South Wales. . No other details known except she was struck from register 1953
PENDLE HILL Drogher on Sydney Harbour. No other details
QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 198 gross tons. Lbd: 126'2" x 22'1" x 7'8". Iron paddle steamship built for the Manning & MacLeay Rivers S N Co. Sold to New Zealand interests date unknown and was lost at Cape Campbell, New Zealand on 10th May 1919


Relevant text pertaining to most vessels mentioned here were sourced from online sites such
as Australian shipwrecks websites state by state, Richard Parson's various books
& Mike Richards "North Coast Run", extracts via Merchant Ships at War sites
and certain historical Tourist online sites.
"South Coast Steamers" by Graeme Andrews also a great source.
All gratefully acknowledged.


TOP of PAGE HOME!


2007-09 ©John E Hoskin/Flotilla Australia
All Rights Reserved