FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

Port Australia
FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA
of

Various Shipping concerns and individuals registered in and operating out of

SOUTH AUSTRALIA


Acco Transport Ltd, Adelaide Adelaide Cement Co Ltd Adelaide, Melbourne & Launcestion Steam Packet Co Angier Line Ltd (1887), Port Adelaide J Beeby, Port Adelaide
Black Diamond Line, Adelaide W R Cave & Co, Port Adelaide W Charlick, South Australia Joseph Coleman, Port Adelaide John Darling & Sons, J Darling Jnr & others
Joseph Darwent, Port Adelaide Thomas Elder & Robert B Smith, Port Adelaide Thomas Elder, Adelaide Euro Steam Ship Co Ltd George Hall, Adelaide
A L Harrold & partners, Port Adelaide R Harrold & partners, Port Adelaide C Heath, Port Adelaide A H Landseer, Adelaide Charles T McGlew, Port adelaide Mount GambierSteamship Co Ltd, Port Adelaide
Murray Navigation Co George Ormerod & Co. Guichen Bay G Ormerod, Robe South Australia J J Osborne & Partners, Port Adelaide R W Osborne & Partners, Port Adelaide Peninsula Traders Ltd
H C Piggot, Port Adelaide Hugh Quin and partners, Port Adelaide C F Rischbieth, Adelaide A W Sandford, Port Adelaide Anton Schlink, Port Adelaide Henry Simpson as J L Simpson
J W Smith, Port Adelaide Robert B Smith, Port Adelaide South Australian Coal & Co & 'partners' South Australia Farmers Union Co-operative South Australian Shipping Company Joseph Stilling
Andrew Tennant & Others, Adelaide J R H Ward J Wardle H Weir & Partners W Whinham, Port Adelaide
Samuel White, Aldinga Adelaide George Wills & Co, Port Adelaide J Yeo & Partners, Adelaide Yorke Peninsula Barley producers Ltd



(almost) the Adelaide, Melbourne & Launcestion Steam Packet Co
Ed Ed
ADMELLA
1857-59
BALCLUTHA
1860-81
BALCLUTHA image (128529p) courtesy State Library Queensland
ADMELLA 392 gross tons. Lbd: 188' x 24' x 13'6". Iron passenger steamship built by Lawrence, Hill & Co., Port Glasgow specifically for the Adelaide - Melbourne - Launceston trade. Her name derives from the first letters of each named port. She had a group of owners/shareholders each having variable percentage of ownership. Hugh McEwan - who was an accomplished Captain, Robert Little, Dugald McInnes, William Isbister, Robert McNair, G B McNair, A & J Inglis, Duncan Brown and Dugald Little - a Melbourne merchant. She was wrecked off Cape Northumberland, South Australia in stormy weather with a tragic loss of 70 - 80 lives. The rocks of that area are now known as 'Admella Rocks". Her owners had intent to create a shipping line entitled The Adelaide, Melbourne & Launcestion Steam Packet Co., or with Otago in the title. Although they mostly had interests in other shipping entities they abandoned plans of the 'Company in the naming' following the shipwreck
BALCLUTHA Originally 433 gross tons, 1868 increased to 456 gross tons, 262 net. Lbd: 202'1" x23'3" x 13'3". Iron passenger steamship built by Caird & Co., Greenock Scotland for R Little (& possible partners) as well as part owner and skipper, Captain F H Trouton in replacing the lost 'Admella'. Worked Port Adelaide to Albany on a mail contract for the South Australian Government, during a climate of 'rate-war' between the major players of the era. Lost the mail contract in 1861 and transferred to the Adelaide-Melbourne-Sydney run in direct oppostion to ASN Co., Sydney. Switched to the Sydney - Brisbane route which prompted ASN Co to purchase her outright. The Captain Trouton continued his duty and rose through ASN Co., ranks eventually attaining General Manager status. Meanwhile the Balclutha served all of this concerns coastal passenger routes including travel to Noumea on behalf of the Montifiore Company from 1873. Sold June 1881 to C M Poole and was lost with a loss of 22 hands when travelling from Sydney to Melbourne, as a collier October 1881. She was last seen in the vicinity of Gabo Island, Victoria


Samuel White, Aldinga Adelaide
A flour miller who became involved in shipowning until 1867 when adjudged insolvent. He then migrated to New Zealand
Ed Ed Ed Ed
HAVILAH
1853-1900
ALDINGA
1860-96
OSCAR
1854-61
SOUTH AUSTRALIAN
1864-67
................ image courtesy ..................
HAVILAH 301 gross tons, 166 net. Lbd: 151' x 22' x 13'4". Iron steamship, 2 cylinder making 55 horsepower and scooner rigged of 3 masts. Built by C Mitchell & Co., Low Walker Tyne for Charles & J F Bowman of South Australia, and Hugh McMeckan - Master Mariner in partnership. Serviced the Melbourne and Adelaide in 1854 as a passenger vessel under agency of this concern, their first managed vessel. Owners since: May 1858 Samuel White, reg., Port Adelaide. June 1861 G Fisher & Partners who traded as Launceston & Melbourne S N Co of Launceston, Tasmania. July 1866 W A Guesdon & Partners reg., Hobart. October 1867 Tasmanian Steam Navigation Co. May 1868 Mort & McArthur reg., Sydney. November 1869 ASN Co. November 1873 French owners at Noumea. July 1878 J C Lloyd reg Sydney and November 1884 Mount Kembla Coal & Oil Co. With her return to Australian registry from Noumea, she was converted into a collier by either J C Lloyd or ensuing purchaser and was converted into a hulk prior to 1900, effectively ending her status as a ship per se. Records state she was broken up in 1911. Havilah apparently means "Land of Gold"
ALDINGA (1). 423 gross tons, 291 net. Iron steamship 2 funnels rigged as a 3 masted barque and built 1860 by Scott of Greenoch for this company as McMeckan, Blackwood & Co in partnership with S White of Aldinga, Adelaide and J Darwent also of Adelaide. Modified 1862 Lbd: 202'6" x 24'6" x 13'4" with tonnage increased to 446 gross. Worked the Tasman run and Otago. 1871 fully owned by this concern. Altered during 1887 with with passenger accomodation removed as well as one funnel and and two masts. Sold August 1877 to Adelaide steamship Co. Laid up until 1883 then placed on collier run when purchased by E Vickery who traded as the Mount Kembla Coal Co., of Sydney. Wrecked Bellambi reef January 23rd 1896
OSCAR 675 gross tons. Lbd: 187'5" x 28'1" x 12'9". Built as an Iron passenger steamship by John Scott Russell at Millwall, England for unknown owners. 1857 owned by D Hart. 1860 arrived Australian shores and secured the mail run of the South Australia linking from there to Albany, Western Australia with an English mail steamer. Also worked the Adelaide - Melbourne run in competition with McMeckan, Blackwood & Co until purchased in January 1861 by this company. Owned 50% shareholding of her with Samuel White and Joseph Darwent, both of South Australia holding 25% each of the remaining shares. She worked the trans tasman gold rush until wrecked at the entrance of New River, Otago New Zealand
SOUTH AUSTRALIAN 633 gross tons, 436 net. Lbd: 225' x 26'3" x 15'. Iron steamship built by J Key at Kinghorn Glasgow for Samual White of Aldinga South Australia. Fitted with a 2 cylinder engine producing 180 horsepower, she was designed for the passenger trade ( 80 saloon & 135 steerage) between Port Adelaide and Melbourne. After one year she was engaged by the South Australian Government for a journey to Darwin travelling east and returning via the west coast, making a complete circumnavigation of the continent. Since, she was Chartered to the Otago Steamship Co of New Zealand and serviced the trans-tasman run. S White became bankrupt and she became under ownership of McMeckan, Blackwood & Co, Melbourne who kept her on the trans tasman route until she was wrecked near the Molyneux River, New Zealand 1tth May 1867


Joseph DARWENT, Port Adelaide
Arrived 1849 at Adelaide from England with 'sponsored' railway interests that didn't eventuate in construction in Port Adelaide. Went to the Victorian goldfields and found 'success', returning to Adelaide and opened a Cereal, Stock, Station & Shipping agency.
Acted as the Adelaide shipping agent for McMeckan, Blackwood & Co and agent for Samuel White of Aldinga. Also part-owned and held full ownership of several vessels. The leasing of the steamship Omeo to supply northern telegraph (at Darwin) contract with the South Australian Government, the problems that beset that project and resultant contract cancellation, led to Darwent selling his steamer Royal Shepherd in 1871. The long dispute with that Government over the cancelled contract led, as some believe, to a hastened death on October 1872
Ed Ed Ed Ed
ROYAL SHEPHERD
1853-90
ALDINGA
1860-96
OSCAR
1854-61
COORONG
1862-1911
ROYAL SHEPHERD & COORONG (b43752) images courtesy State Library Victoria
ROYAL SHEPHERD 265 gross tons, 184 net. Lbd: 148'1" x 19'8" x 10'5". Re-measured July 1857 (presumably when bowsprit removed etc) as 331 gross tons, 245 net. Lbd: 139'9" x 19'8" x 10'5". (42 metres long and 6 metres wide). Built by Blackwood & Gordon at Paisley, Scotland, in 1853. 3 masts and an oscillating engine producing 60 horsepower. Passenger vessel accomodating 60. Owned in 1854 by the Launceston Steam Navigation Co., registered in Launceston. July 1857 owned by G Fisher & Partners (Launceston and Melbourne Steam Navigation Co). Intended for the Bass Strait run, she had little success, and was sold December 1864 to Joseph Darwent of Port Adelaide. Had one mast removed 1866 and sold to Andrew Tennant & Others, Adelaide. Sold again in December 1876 to Spencer's Gulf S S Co, working the Spencer Gulf in South Australia even with the takeover/merger by Adelaide Steamship Co., Adelaide. H.J. Cattanach, W.A. Firth, and T. Elder have all been named by various sources as having ownership during her South Australia career. October 1885 sold to J Warburton and Son of Pyrmont, Sydney. Another source states J Mitchell, Sydney as owner from October 1885. (Comes across as a ship with a name that many wanted ownership of) Intended as a collier but found other work until converted into a collier October 1889. Was towing a sailing ship to Wollongong when she sank after collision the steamship Hesketh 14th july 1890 off Sydney Heads. No lives lost
ALDINGA 423 gross tons, 291 net. Iron steamship 2 funnels rigged as a 3 masted barque and built 1860 by Scott of Greenoch for this company as McMeckan, Blackwood & Co in partnership with S White of Aldinga, Adelaide and J Darwent also of Adelaide. Modified 1862 Lbd: 202'6" x 24'6" x 13'4" with tonnage increased to 446 gross. Worked the Tasman run and Otago. 1871 fully owned by this concern. Altered during 1887 with with passenger accomodation removed as well as one funnel and and two masts. Sold August 1877 to Adelaide steamship Co. Laid up until 1883 then placed on collier run when purchased by E Vickery who traded as the Mount Kembla Coal Co., of Sydney. Wrecked Bellambi reef January 23rd 1896
OSCAR 675 gross tons. Lbd: 187'5" x 28'1" x 12'9". Built as an Iron passenger steamship by John Scott Russell at Millwall, England for unknown owners. 1857 owned by D Hart. 1860 arrived Australian shores and secured the mail run of the South Australia linking from there to Albany, Western Australia with an English mail steamer. Also worked the Adelaide - Melbourne run in competition with McMeckan, Blackwood & Co until purchased in January 1861 by this company. Owned 50% shareholding of her with Samuel White and Joseph Darwent, both of South Australia holding 25% each of the remaining shares. She worked the trans tasman gold rush until wrecked at the entrance of New River Otago New Zealand
COORONG 391 gross tons. Lbd: 171'1" x 22'4" x 12'2". 2 cylinders producing 70 horsepower. Iron steamship built by J G Lawrie at Port Glasgow for J Darwent of Adelaide. November 1863 with McMeckan Blackwood & Co. July 1877 owned by Mount Gambier Steamship Co Ltd. March 1881 owned by H C Piggot. October 1882 owned by W Whineham, registered Port Adelaide. Worked the South Australian gulf trade in opposition to the Adelaide Steamship Co until purchased by John See in May 1884. December 1891 of the North Coast S N Co., Sydney. Hulked 1911 at Sydney and demolished 1916


Ed Ed Ed
MAID OF THE YARRA
1854-65
OMEO
1858-95
MARION
1854-62
OMEO image (b43753) courtesy State Library Victoria
MAID OF THE YARRA 116 gross tons, 82 net. Lbd: 100'4" x 18'0" x 9'0". Iron steamship built by J Robson at Blackwall in County Durham England for unknown owners who employed her as a self powered 'lighter' of 20 horsepower, on Port Phillip Bay, Melbourne. Soon sold in February 1855 to W Brown Jnr., Launceston, Tasmania and fitted with passenger accomodation. Employed on the Melbourne - Launceston service as well as some localised work along the Tamar River. Sold September 1857 to W H Smith & Partners, Melbourne and worked a variety of routes including the Port Albert, Victoria trade. October 1859 sold to Fowler & Partners, Melbourne who kept her on the Port Albert trade as well as occassional runs to the Gippsland Lakes. Short service saw her sold December same year, 1859 to Joseph Darwent, Port Adelaide where she was employed on the South Australian Gulfs' routes of Port Elliot and Wallaroo. Sold July 1862 to unknown owners in New Zealand and wrecked March 1865 at Hokitika, New Zealand
OMEO 733 gross tons. Lbd: 213'2" x 30'5" x 16'7". Passenger ship built by A Leslie & Co., at Hebburn Quay, Tyne for McMeckan, Blackwood & Co., Melbourne. 2 cylinders 120 horsepower engine as well as sail capacity. Her lower masts were made of iron, hollow and were used as innovative funnels for the cooking stoves aboard. She also boasted a lifting screw, for times when she could be utilised as a pure sailing ship. On her delivery voyage carried the cable for the first telegraph link between Melbourne and Tasmania, and helped to lay it. Worked the Melb - Adelaide trade until 1866 when after placed on market. Unsold she was given extensive refit including extra (extended?) deck increasing passenger accomodation and tonnage increased to 821 gross. Worked the Tasman trade and included voyages under charter to Joseph Darwent, Port Adelaide, north to Northern Territory with supplies of men and equipment for the overland telegraph. As a steamer she made her final trip to New Zealand April 1879 then sold. 1880 owned by Nipper & See. September 1880 William Howard Smith took acquisition and reduced her in 1881 to a 4 masted sailing ship carrying coals and timbers. Since mid 1890's was reduced to a coal hulk eventually being run ashore Fremantle 1901
MARION 177 gross tons, 133 net. Lbd: 114'2" x 19'6" x 10'0". Built at Whiteinch, Glasgow as an Iron passenger steamship for Messers Rae, Kerr & others all of Hobart Tasmania. At the time she held a 2 cylinder engine producing 30 horsepower and remained under London registry. Employed on the Hobart - Melbourne trade, gaining little popularity and was sold June 1857 to H Glass, Melbourne and there registered. Her dimensions were altered as 197 gross tons and 124 net. Placed upon the Warrnambool-Port Fairy service until sold in October 1857 to the South Australian syndicate of Joseph Stilling, J R H Ward, Joseph Darwent and unknown others, registered Port Adelaide. Here she became the first 'regular' passenger steamship to ply the Port Adelaide - Port Lincoln - Port Augusta route. July 11th 1862 wrecked at Marion Bay, Southern Yorke peninsular, South Australia. Note : that bay was named after another vessel, an immigrant ship of the same name that also foundered, saw it's passengers land ashore at that bay


George Ormerod, & Co. Guichen Bay, (South Australia) Charles T McGlew of Port adelaide, Yorke Peninsula Barley producers Ltd, Peninsula Traders Ltd
Ed Ed
ANT
1854-66
BROADWAY
1921-1953
BROADWAY image courtesy State Library Victoria
ANT 121 gross tons, 82 net. 1856 149 gross tons, 87net and 1865 161 gross tons, 87 net with recorded Lbd: 100'8" x 17'8" x 9'2" being the only measurements recorded. Iron single screw steamship, two masts. built Scott & Co Scotland. Engines: 30 horsepower., 2 cylinder inverted. Designed to carry a limited number of passengers. Owners: 1854 - Samuel Martin & Others, Belfast. April 1955 arrived Australia, Port Phillip Victoria reputedly as the first ship to sail direct from Ireland to Port Phillip. Owners intention was sale or service and in February (or thereabouts) Worked the Hobart - Launceston trade until 1856 sold to T. Thompson, Hobart. Placed upon various Tasmanian east coast ports until owner went bankrupt in September 1856 and eventually sold in May 1857 to Peter Le Page, Melbourne. October 1857 sold to George Ormerod, & Co. Guichen Bay, (South Australia) and traded the south-east coast of that state to Port Adelaide. February 1864 owned by J Fowler. July 1865 owned by Gippsland Steam Navigation Co. Wrecked 12 July 1866, in heavy fog on a rock three miles west by north of Barwon Heads when inbound from Tasmania. Captain found as negligent in placing reliance on defective compasses (source: Victorian Heritage Register )

BROADWAY 722 gross tons, 375 net. Steel steamship, cargo, of 3 masts and machinery aft. Lbd: 178'2" x 30'6" x 12'6". Built Limhamm, Sweden as Lygia. 1923 owned renamed Durley Hill by Sunderland Steam Shipping Co, Arrived Australia May 1925 for Charles T McGlew of Port adelaide. December 1925 became of the Yorke Peninsula Barley producers Ltd, and registered Melbourne. 1926 Peninsula Traders Ltd. These concerns were dissatisfied with Adelaide Steamship Co's service, in a situation where the shipment of their barley caused them to import this vessel for their immediate puposes. All good until the season was complete then found uneconomical to run. In an agreement in 1926, was sold to the Adelaide Steamship Co, where a vessel of similiar standing was always to be made available at the height of the barley shipping season. Sold for scrapping 1953



Thomas Elder & Robert B Smith, registered Port Adelaide Thomas Elder & Partners, registered Port Adelaide
Ed Ed Ed Ed
GLENELG
1875-1900
KANGAROO
1863-84
FLINDERS
1874-1928
....................
GLENELG image (a23991) courtesy State Library Victoria
GLENELG 218 gross tons, 558 net. Lbd: 135'8" x 21'1" x 11'3". Iron twin screw steamship built by Aitken & Mansel, Glasgow for Thomas Elder & Robert B Smith, registered Port Adelaide. Twin compounded engines producing 80 horsepower. Held distinction of being the first 'southbound' ship to pass through the new Suez Canal on May 24th, 1875. Designed more as a tug - passenger tender vessel with cargo capacity, she worked out of Port Adelaide. Later worked the St Vincents Gulf. 1880 tonnage adjusted to read 210 gross and 76 net. SOld July 1881 to William Wells. Sold April 1882 to Thomas Hesselton, Sydney under whom she made a run to New Zealand for a cargo of salvaged railway equipment. Sold July 1882 to the Port Jackson Steamship Co Ltd., Sydney and employed as a Manly ferry. From January until end of March she was chartered to W Collins, Brisbane and placed upon the Brisbane - Bundaberg run. November 1891 sold to E T Miles & Partners, Hobart and placed upon the Hobart - Strahan run, at times extending from Stahan to Melbourne. At some stage she was sold to T A Reynolds or Reynolds was the active 'signature' partner of E T Miles when sold September 1896 to the Union SS Co, New Zealand, along with with T A Reynolds, Hobart fleet. Continued her Tasmanian services under her new owners until 1898 when sold to A Ellerker, Melbourne. Here she was placed upon the Gippsland Lakes service - Melbourne. March 25th 1900 foundered and sank in Bass Strait, approximately 40 miles west of Lakes Entrance, Victoria en route for Melbourne. A loss of 31 souls, including all passengers, with only three survivors
KANGAROO 227 gross tons, 186 net. Lbd: 136'6" x 20'5" x 11'2". Iron steamship built by J Wigham Richardson & Co., Low Walker on Tyne. Of 2 cylinder engine = 45 hp and rigged as a 3 masted schooner. First owner - J A Lloyd, Sydney who placed her on the New South Wales coal trade. Sold February 1865 to J Beeby, Port Adelaide who utilised her in passenger-cargo capacity on the South Australian gulf services. November 1865 owned by J Yeo & Partners. July 1867 of Elder & Smith & Partners. December 1876 of the newly formed Spencer's Gulf Steamship Co Ltd., Port Adelaide. 1877 saw new tonnages (refit perhaps?) as 248 gross and 186 net. November 1881 sold to W H Dickson, manager Westport Colliery and registered at Dunedin, New Zealand. 1883 owned by Westport Coal Co Ltd. May 2 1884 when on passage from Westport to Lyttelton New Zealand, struck a rock off Cape Campbell and eventually sank near Bowlers reef. There were 16 crew and one passenger
FLINDERS 489 gross tons, 278 net. Lbd: 195'7" x 25' x 12'1". Iron steamship built by J Laing, Sunderland as a passenger/cargo vessel for Thomas Elder & Partners., Port Adelaide. Held compounded engine producing 90 horsepower. December 1876 of the Spencer's Gulf Steamship Co Ltd working the Spencer Gulf. Acquired 1886 by the Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd and made the occassional 'intercolonial' voyages. Sold November 1900 to W Collins & Sons Ltd., Brisbane and employed on the Brisbane - Maryborough - Bundaberg run. At times was chartered to the Australasian United S N Co., Sydney. Laid up during 1925 and register finally closed 1928 upon advice the vessel had been demolished



Thomas Elder, Port Adelaide
Ed Ed Ed Ed
ROYAL SHEPHERD
1853-90
RIDGE PARK
1878-81
....................
....................
ROYAL SHEPHERD image courtesy State Library Victoria
ROYAL SHEPHERD 265 gross tons, 184 net. Lbd: 148'1" x 19'8" x 10'5". Re-measured July 1857 (presumably when bowsprit removed etc) as 331 gross tons, 245 net. Lbd: 139'9" x 19'8" x 10'5". (42 metres long and 6 metres wide). Built by Blackwood & Gordon at Paisley, Scotland, in 1853. 3 masts and an oscillating engine producing 60 horsepower. Passenger vessel accomodating 60. Owned in 1854 by the Launceston Steam Navigation Co., registered in Launceston. July 1857 owned by G Fisher & Partners (Launceston and Melbourne Steam Navigation Co). Intended for the Bass Strait run, she had little success, and was sold December 1864 to Joseph Darwent of Port Adelaide. Has one mast removed 1866 and sold to Andrew Tennant & Others, Adelaide. Sold again in December 1876 to Spencer's Gulf S S Co, working the Spencer Gulf in South Australia even with the takeover/merger by Adelaide Steamship Co., Adelaide. H.J. Cattanach, W.A. Firth, and T. Elder have all been named by various sources as having ownership during her South Australia career. October 1885 sold to J Warburton and Son of Pyrmont, Sydney. Another source states J Mitchell, Sydney as owner from October 1885. (Comes across as a ship with a name that many wanted ownership of) Intended as a collier but found other work until converted into a collier October 1889. Was towing a sailing ship to Wollongong when she sank after collision the steamship Hesketh 14th july 1890 off Sydney Heads. No lives lost
RIDGE PARK 969 gross tons, 618 net. Lbd: 214' x 31' x 15'5". Iron steamship, single screw as built by S P Austin & Co, Sunderland for Sir Thomas Elder. Engine producing 99 nominal horsepower. July 1879 owned by Henry Simpson & Sons. Frequented Port Adelaide - Newcastle carry passengers outwards and on the return to Port Adelaide, sometimes taking paying fares via Sydney - Launceston on her return to Port Adelaide. SHe was predominantly a collier. Wrecked on 10th February 1881 in Beware Bay near Cape Comran, Victoria when bound for Newcastle, New South Wales. No lives lost




MOUNT GAMBIER Steamship Co Ltd
Port Adelaide
Ed Ed Ed Ed
PENOLA
c1863-87
COORONG
1862-1911


COORONG (b43752) image courtesy State Library Victoria
PENOLA 349 tons. Lbd: 170'5" x 22'5" x 12'6". Iron steamer clipper bow built by Laurence Hill & Co., Glasgow 1863 as the Penola for Grice Sumner and Co. of Melbourne. Same year lengthened Lbd 194'6" x 22'5" x 12'6". July 1865 G Ormerod, Robe WA. Sank the ss City of Launceston in a collision Port Phillip Bay Nov 19th 1865. Sold March 1874 to J Grice & Partners. July 1887 sold to Mount Gambier S S Co Ltd. March 1881 Piggot & Partners. Oct., 1882 W Whinham. August 1883 Adelaide Steamship Co who retained the name Penola until rebuilt and given a straight stem, Lbd 192'1" x 22'5" x 12'6" in 1885 and renamed Perth. She was wrecked ashore near Point Cloates, Western Australia, 13th September 1887. The boiler burst soon after she struck injuring several firemen, but all passengers and crew landed safely
COORONG 391 gross tons. Lbd: 171'1" x 22'4" x 12'2". 2 cylinders producing 70 horsepower. Iron steamship built by J G Lawrie at Port Glasgow for J Darwent of Adelaide. November 1863 with McMeckan Blackwood & Co. July 1877 Mount Gambier Steamship Co Ltd. March 1881 owned by H C Piggot. October 1882 owned by W Whinham, registered Port Adelaide. Worked the South Australian gulf trade in opposition to the Adelaide Steamship Co until purchased by John See in May 1884. December 1891 of the North Coast S N Co., Sydney. Hulked 1911 at Sydney and demolished 1916




saother.htm#jwsmith
Andrew Tennant & Others, Adelaide J W Smith, Port Adelaide
Ed Ed Ed Ed
ROYAL SHEPHERD
1853-90
.............
GOOLWA
1864-1919
.............
ROYAL SHEPHERD image courtesy State Library Victoria
ROYAL SHEPHERD 265 gross tons, 184 net. Lbd: 148'1" x 19'8" x 10'5". Re-measured July 1857 (presumably when bowsprit removed etc) as 331 gross tons, 245 net. Lbd: 139'9" x 19'8" x 10'5". (42 metres long and 6 metres wide). Built by Blackwood & Gordon at Paisley, Scotland, in 1853. 3 masts and an oscillating engine producing 60 horsepower. Passenger vessel accomodating 60. Owned in 1854 by the Launceston Steam Navigation Co., registered in Launceston. July 1857 owned by G Fisher & Partners (Launceston and Melbourne Steam Navigation Co). Intended for the Bass Strait run, she had little success, and was sold December 1864 to Joseph Darwent of Port Adelaide. Has one mast removed 1866 and sold to Andrew Tennant & Others, Adelaide. Sold again in December 1876 to Spencer's Gulf S S Co, working the Spencer Gulf in South Australia even with the takeover/merger by Adelaide Steamship Co., Adelaide. H.J. Cattanach, W.A. Firth, and T. Elder have all been named by various sources as having ownership during her South Australia career. October 1885 sold to J Warburton and Son of Pyrmont, Sydney. Another source states J Mitchell, Sydney as owner from October 1885. (Comes across as a ship with a name that many wanted ownership of) Intended as a collier but found other work until converted into a collier October 1889. Was towing a sailing ship to Wollongong when she sank after collision the steamship Hesketh 14th july 1890 off Sydney Heads. No lives lost
GOOLWA 191 gross tons, 116 net. Lbd: 130' x 21'1" x 10'3". Iron hulled tug- paddle steamship built by Palmer Bros at Jarrow-on-Tyne England. Held 2 cylinder steam engine built by J Thompson & Co, Newcastle-On-Tyne. Also rigged as a 2 masted brig, (one mast later removed). ON 48675. Owner recorded as F Levi, registered London, may have been the South Australian connection of Levi's Wharf at Port Adelaide. May 1867 owned by J W Smith & T Hesselton, vessel registered Port Adelaide. August 1870 under sole ownership of T Hesselton, registered Sydney, having arrived 29 July from Adelaide. She was employed mainly as a tug but held certificate to carry 600 excursionists/ferry passengers. Found unsuitable and in January 1874 registered Newcastle NSW under ownership of H Finch & Others. January 1876 owned by Newcastle Co-Operative Steam Tug Co Ltd. June 1878 owned by John Brown of J & A Brown. June 1905 owned by J O'Connor, here it presumed she was demolished or stripped of her fittings. Circa 1919 sank at her moorings, raised and ran aground at a bank near Hexham where traces of her can still be found


H C Piggot
W Whineham, registered Port Adelaide
Ed Ed Ed Ed
COORONG
1862-1911
PENOLA
c1863-87
FERRET
1871-1920
....................
COORONG (b43752) image courtesy State Library Victoria
FERRET image courtesy State Library South Australia
COORONG 391 gross tons. Lbd: 171'1" x 22'4" x 12'2". 2 cylinders producing 70 horsepower. Iron steamship built by J G Lawrie at Port Glasgow for J Darwent of Adelaide. November 1863 with McMeckan Blackwood & Co. July 1877 owned by Mount Gambier Steamship Co Ltd. March 1881 owned by H C Piggot. October 1882 owned by W Whineham, registered Port Adelaide. Worked the South Australian gulf trade in opposition to the Adelaide Steamship Co until purchased by John See in May 1884. December 1891 of the North Coast S N Co., Sydney. Hulked 1911 at Sydney and demolished 1916
PENOLA 349 tons. Lbd: 170'5" x 22'5" x 12'6". Iron steamer clipper bow built by Laurence Hill & Co., Glasgow 1863 as the Penola for Grice Sumner and Co. of Melbourne. Designed for the passenger trade between Melbourne and Adelaide. Same year lengthened Lbd: 194'6" x 22'5" x 12'6". July 1865 G Ormerod, Robe Western Australia. Sank the steamship City of Launceston in a collision Port Phillip Bay November 19th 1865. Sold March 1874 to J J Grice & Partners. July 1887 sold to Mount Gambier Steamship Co Ltd. March 1881 Piggot & Partners. October 1882 W Whinham, Port Adelaide. August 1883 Adelaide Steamship Co who retained the name Penola until rebuilt and given a straight stem, Lbd: 192'1" x 22'5" x 12'6" in 1885 and renamed PERTH. She was wrecked ashore near Point Cloates, Western Australia, 13th September 1887. The boiler burst soon after she struck injuring several firemen, but all passengers and crew landed safely
FERRET 347 gross tons. 195 net (June 1885 455gross 276 net tons) Lbd: 170'9" x 23'2" x 12'7". Iron steamship built by J & G Thomson, Glasgow. Compounded vertical direct acting steam engine = 90hp. Owners: G & J Burns, Glasgow. 1873 Dingwall & Skye Railway Co Ltd., then Highland Railway Co., Inverness in a merger 1878. She was chartered for a pleasure cruise to the Mediterranean however telltale ship fittings were thrown overboard off Gibraltar to give indication that the ship had foundered. Instead she was renamed 'Bantam' given a different appearance and was taken to Brazil. There, at Santos she loaded a cargo of coffee bound for France however, en-route she was again renamed, this time 'India' and then steamed to Cape Town where her valuable cargo of coffee was sold. She arrived in Melbourne from Albany April 1881, claiming to be a private yacht. Meanwhile the worried legal owners, Highland Railway Co., had placed advertisements globally for this vessel as 'Lost, Stolen or Strayed. At Melbourne an observant wharf policeman noticed the faint name of another vessel under the lettering ‘India’. She was proved to be the Ferret; her operators (Captain & cohorts, Smith, Walker & Wright) were arrested and given 7 years inprisonment. Since, legal matters of complicated ownership details took time to sort out until sold 1881 to William Whinham, Adelaide. Registered the ship as the Ferret in November 1883 at Port Adelaide and in 1883 transferred (taken over) by Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd. Wrecked - Reef Head, Yorke Peninsular South Australia November 14th 1920




A W Sandford, Port Adelaide George Wills & Co, Port Adelaide
also held joint ownership with others in the Intercolonial Steam Ship Co
Ed Ed Ed Ed
ARGYLE
1876-1915

QUORNA
1912-47

QUORNA image courtesy State Library South Australia
ARGYLE 159 gross tons, 125 net. Lbd: 114'3" x 20' x 7'3". Wooden steamship built by H McQuarrie & J McCallum, Mechanics Bay Auckland New Zealand for A McGregor of Auckland. 3 masted schooner rigged vessel that held a compounded engine producing 45 horsepower. First owner went on to create the 'Northern Steamship Co Ltd' in 1881. Listed as a passenger-cargo vessel. Sold 1897 to A J Ellerker, Melbourne who placed her on the Gippsland Lakes service. Sold July 1898 to A W Sandford, Port Adelaide who placed her on the South-east service of South Australia. Sold 1900 to H Weir & Partners who were associated with the West Coast Shipping Co Ltd of South Australia circa 1906. Employed on the South Australian West coast until demolished by March 1915 at Port Adelaide

QUORNA 565 gross tons, 231 net. Lbd: 175'5" x 28'1" x 11'6". Ateel steamship built by J. Fullerton & Co, Paisley as the Warrener for George Wills & Co, reg. Port Adelaide. Triple expansion engine producing 86 nhp. 1915 passenger accomodation added, new tonnage as 606 gross tons, 265 net. Renamed August 1913 when sold to Adelaide Steamship Co. 1915 passenger accomodation added, new tonnage as 606 gross tons, 265 net. Employed in the Spencer Gulf trade and used as a 'relief' vessel within the fleet. Laid up at Port Adelaide circa 1947 and gradually stripped. Hull presented to the RAAF and towed to sea October 30th 1950 and sunk off Kangaroo Island by bombers



H Weir & Partners A H Landseer, Adelaide
Ed Ed Ed Ed
ARGYLE
1876-1915

DISPATCH
1877-1900

DISPATCH image as the BELLARINE courtesy State Library Victoria
ARGYLE 159 gross tons, 125 net. Lbd: 114'3" x 20' x 7'3". Wooden steamship built by H McQuarrie & J McCallum, Mechanics Bay Auckland New Zealand for A McGregor of Auckland. 3 masted schooner rigged vessel that held a compounded engine producing 45 horsepower. First owner went on to create the 'Northern Steamship Co Ltd' in 1881. Listed as a passenger-cargo vessel. Sold 1897 to A J Ellerker, Melbourne who placed her on the Gippsland Lakes service. Sold July 1898 to A W Sandford, Port Adelaide who placed her on the South-east service of South Australia. Sold 1900 to H Weir & Partners who were associated with the West Coast Shipping Co Ltd of South Australia circa 1906. Employed on the South Australian West coast until demolished by March 1915 at Port Adelaide

DISPATCH 117 gross tons. Built asDispatch at Milang in less than 9 weeks in 1877 by Thomas Smith and Frank Potts for A H Landseer. She was 111.6 feet (324m) long, had a draft of 18 inches (457mm), could accomodate 60 passengers with bunks for 8 females and 12 males. Serviced the Milang-Meningie mail service across the lakes. She was a Royal Mail vessel and a vital link in the overland service between Adelaide and Melbourne. November 1888 sold to W H Smith & Sons Ltd of Melbourne and steamed to Port Phillip under her own power. 1889 renamed Bellarine, worked on Corio Bay Geelong until when 1900 sold to A Phillips, Melbourne and converted to a lighter. {Notoriety: - In November 1877, soon after she was built, the Governor of South Australia (Sir W F D Jervois) travelled on the Dispatch to Goolwa after visiting Milang. In 1881 Prince George (later King George V) and Prince Albert travelled on the Dispatch, skippered by Captain George J Wallace, to the Bowman's property, Campbell Park, to join in a kangaroo hunt}



John Darling & Sons
South Australian Farmers Union Co-operative
J J Osborne & Partners, Port Adelaide
Ed Ed Ed Ed
EXCELSIOR
c 1897-31
WAKEFIELD
1877-1920
PALMERSTON
1878-1929
HELEN NICOLL
1882-1932
EXCELSIOR image courtesy State Library South Australia
WAKEFIELD image courtesy State Library Queensland, HELEN NICOLL (gr000729) image courtesy State Library Victoria
EXCELSIOR 301 gross tons. Lbd: 131' x 27'2" x 11". Single screw Steamship built at Gourlay Scotland 1897 and operated in South Australian waters between 1908 and 1945 by John Darling & Sons, and South Australian Farmers Union Co-operative respectively. Finally owned by the South Australian Harbors Board who, in 1931 hulked her. Remains abandoned on Le Fevere Peninsular c 1945
WAKEFIELD 104 gross tons, 53 net. Lbd: 95'2" x 16'5" x 7'4". Compound direct acting vertical steam engine producing 25 horsepower. Iron steamship built by J Fullerton & Co, Paisley for J J Osborne & Partners, Port Adelaide. March 1881 J Darling Jnr & others. January 1883 J Reid of Hobart Town. April 1883 Hobart S N & Trading Co. May 1886 J Williams. April 1889 United S S Co., Launceston. March 1896 purchased by Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd., for the shallow rivers and bar harbours work in north Queensland. August 1910 British New Guinea Development Co Ltd, registered Brisbane. Register closed April 1920 and vessel hulked
PALMERSTON 430 gross tons. Lbd: 175'3" x 25'. Cargo vessel, steamship built as the Rook by J & G Thomson Clydebank, Glasgow. Propulsion: compound direct acting inverted 20"38" stroke 28" 70hp, Engines by shipbuilder. Launched: Tuesday, 04 June 1878. Owner History: G & J Burns, Glasgow. 1880 Napier & Co., Glasgow. 1883 C Barrie, Sydney. 1884 Goverment of South Australia. 1887 J Darling Jnr., Port Adelaide. 1889 Mount Pleasant Coal & Iron Mining Co., Sydney. 1929 R J Butler, Sydney. Refitted as a trawler in 1929 and sank after collision with trawler Millimumul off Jervis Bay, New South Wales 29th May 1929
HELEN NICOLL 384 gross tons, 246 net. Lbd: 157' x 22' x 10'3". Iron steamship built by Gourlay Bros, Dundee for G W Nicoll, Brisbane. Worked on the North Coast of New South Wales in passenger-cargo capacity and remained on that run when sold to John See, Sydney in July 1882. Of North Coast S N Co upon formation in December 1891. August 1893 sold to Anton Schlink of Port Adelaide who placed her on the South Australian run, particularly that State's west coast ports. Extended to Esperance, Western Australia with the advent of gold discoveries and taking in Albany as another port of call. Sold 1896 to A L Harrold and sold yet again in 1897 to J Darling Jnr, who kept her on the South Australia - West Australia trade route. 1901 saw her change ownership again, this time to to James Jones of Sydney, later Jones Bros., Coal Co Ltd., seeing her as a collier only. Demolished with register closed 1932


Euro S S Co Ltd
R W Osborne & Partners, Port Adelaide
Hugh Quin and partners
Ed Ed Ed Ed
EMU
1876-1901
EURO
1874-81


EMU image courtesy State Library Victoria
EMU 616 gross tons, 362 net. Lbd: 179'4" x 25'1" x 11'7". Compounded engine = 96 hp. Built Blackwood 7 Gordon Port Glasgow for R W Osborne & Partners, Port Adelaide. September 1887 Euro S S Co Ltd., of which was formed at least in part by R W Osborne. December 1881 of the Spencer Gulf S S Co Ltd. December 1882 of the Adelaide Steamship Co as result of merger. Circa 1898 chartered by Circular Saw Line. Sold September 1901 with Australian registry closed. New owners seem to be S A Union of Noumea. Lloyds of London had her classed as a 'pontoon' until 1924. Another independant source claimed she was abandoned as a hull in Baie de la Moselle, Noumea
EURO 336 gross tons, 208 net. Lbd: 165'4" x 23'2" x 10'5". Compounded engine = 60 nhp. Iron steamship built by A Stephens & Sons, Glasgow for Hugh Quin & Partners. Designed for the Spencer Gulf trade, with Port Pirie being the main port of call in her passenger-cargo role to Port Adelaide. Hugh Quin and partners along with others formed the Euro Steam Ship Co Ltd since. 1880 her dimensions were 461 gross tons, 284 net, clearly some refitting had been made. 1881 chartered to and possibly sold to the 'South Australian Shipping Company'. Completed a few trips to other states and eventually wrecked near Beachport, South Australia 24th August 1881


W R Cave & Co, Port Adelaide
Also of the Intercolonial Steam Ship Co of which Cave & Co held a joint ownership with others
Ed Ed Ed Ed
CROYDON
1896-1919



................ image courtesy ..................
CROYDON 69 gross tons, 38 net. 76' x 16' x 6'7". Compound surface condensing engine 25 hp. Steel single screw steamship built by Riley, Hargrave & Co., at Singapore in 1896 for unknown owners. First registered in Australia by H Osborne & partners, Fremantle 1899. Sold 1901 to Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd., with intention for service as a lighter at Cossack, Western Australia. Saw employment as a passenger ship on the Albany - Hopetoun - Esperance run in Western Australia on a government mail contract during 1904-5. Abandoned May 1905 to underwriters after sustaining structural strain brought on by bad weather when bound from Western Australia to Port Adelaide. 1913 refitted and re-registered to W R Cave & Co., Adelaide. How she was employed is unknown. Sold 1918 to Huon Shipping & Logging Co., Hobart. May 13th 1919 'sprang' a leak and sank in Savage River west coast of Tasmania. No lives lost. Note: Not the same vessel formerly known as Gunga and renamed Croydon of AUSN Co





R HARROLD, South Australia
A L HARROLD, South Australia
Ed Ed Ed Ed
HELEN NICOLL
1882-1932
KARAWEERA
1882-1902


HELEN NICOLL (gr000729) image courtesy State Library Victoria, KARAWEERA image courtesy State Library Victoria
HELEN NICOLL 384 gross tons, 246 net. Lbd: 157' x 22' x 10'3". Iron steamship built by Gourlay Bros, Dundee for G W Nicoll, Brisbane. Worked on the North Coast of New South Wales in passenger-cargo capacity and remained on that run when sold to John See, Sydney in July 1882. Of North Coast S N Co upon formation in December 1891. August 1893 sold to Anton Schlink of Port Adelaide who placed her on the South Australian run, particularly that State's west coast ports. Extended to Esperance, Western Australia with the advent of gold discoveries and taking in Albany as another port of call. Sold 1896 to A L Harrold and sold yet again in 1897 to J Darling Jnr, who kept her on the South Australia - West Australia trade route. 1901 saw her change ownership again, this time to to James Jones of Sydney, later Jones Bros., Coal Co Ltd., seeing her as a collier only. Demolished with register closed 1932
KARAWEERA 1,477 gross tons, 929 net. Lbd: 250' x 35'1" x 17'6". Iron steamship built by Hodgson & Soulsby, Blyth. Of compounded inverted engine = 170hp. Owned by R Harrold & partners, Port Adelaide. Designed as a coal carrier however sported 157 passenger capability. Serviced the Newcastle - South Australia run. June 1884 South Australian Coal & Co & 'partners'. From this time passengers were probably not taken. September 1886 J L (Henry) Simpson & Sons (Black Diamond Line). June 1895 A L Harrold & partners. December 1896 Adelaide Steamship Co. Broke her back when stranded on Central Island in the Fitzroy River, at Rockhampton, Queensland, 2nd July 1902. Sketch by Allen C Green




ANTON SCHLINK, Port Adelaide
was a pastorialist who saw a need for better shipping service to the western ports of South Australia. Also extended voyages to the western Australia ports with the advent of goldrushes. Also owned a schooner named ----------
Ed Ed Ed Ed
HELEN NICOLL
1882-1932
MEEINDERRY
1883-1922


HELEN NICOLL (gr000729) image courtesy State Library Victoria, MEEINDERRY image courtesy State Library South Australia
HELEN NICOLL 384 gross tons, 246 net. Lbd: 157' x 22' x 10'3". Iron steamship built by Gourlay Bros, Dundee for G W Nicoll, Brisbane. Worked on the North Coast of New South Wales in passenger-cargo capacity and remained on that run when sold to John See, Sydney in July 1882. Of North Coast S N Co upon formation in December 1891. August 1893 sold to Anton Schlink of Port Adelaide who placed her on the South Australian run, particularly that State's west coast ports. Extended to Esperance, Western Australia with the advent of gold discoveries and taking in Albany as another port of call. Sold 1896 to A L Harrold and sold yet again in 1897 to J Darling Jnr, who kept her on the South Australia - West Australia trade route. 1901 saw her change ownership again, this time to to James Jones of Sydney, later Jones Bros., Coal Co Ltd., seeing her as a collier only. Demolished with register closed 1932
MEEINDERRY 217 gross tons, 111 net. Lbd: 120'2" x 20'1" x 8'7". (36.62 x 6.28m) Steel single screw passenger-cargo vessel rigged initially as a 3 masted schooner and built Rutherglen Glasgow by T B Sheath & Co. Imported by D Berry of the Berry Estate, New South Wales. July 1892 acquired by Anton Schlink and registered at Port Adelaide. July 1895 owned by Huddart Parker Ltd., Melbourne for their Tasmanian and Victorian trade routes. August 1919 sold to R.W. Miller & Co. Lost after collision with the collier 'Wallsend' off Wanderers Reef, Newcastle New South Wales 1922. Wreck was sold to that state government who had her dismantled




Charles T McGlew of Port adelaide
Yorke Peninsula Barley producers Ltd
Peninsula Traders Ltd
Joseph Coleman, Port Adelaide
Ed Ed Ed Ed
BROADWAY
1921-1953

CORIO
1854-66

BROADWAY image courtesy State Library Victoria
BROADWAY 722 gross tons, 375 net. Steel steamship, cargo, of 3 masts and machinery aft. Lbd: 178'2" x 30'6" x 12'6". Built Limhamm, Sweden as Lygia. 1923 owned renamed Durley Hill by Sunderland Steam Shipping Co, Arrived Australia May 1925 for Charles T McGlew of Port adelaide. December 1925 of the Yorke Peninsula Barley producers Ltd, and registered Melbourne. 1926 Peninsula Traders Ltd. These concerns were dissatisfied with Adelaide Steamship Co's service, in a situation where the shipment of their barley caused them to import this vessel for their immediate puposes. All good until the season was complete then found uneconomical to run. In an agreement in 1926, was sold to the Adelaide Steamship Co, where a vessel of similiar standing was always to be made available at the height of the barley shipping season. Sold for scrapping 1953

CORIO 140 gross tons, 95 net. Lbd: 100'6" x 17'6" x 9'6". Iron steamship built at Greenock with engine of 2 cylinder = 25hp built by Blackwood & Gordon, Paisley. Also believed to have constructed the hull. Owners Mackay & Turner, registered Greenoch. When she arrived Australian waters is unknown as too all her early owners (if any) up to 1859. Recorded as having serviced the Melbourne - Geelong cargo service in the mid 1850's under the banner of 'Corio Steam Navigation Co'., although no such concern was ever registered. She was in fact capable of carrying 17 passengers in two onboard zones. June 1857 was reputedly sold to the Murray Navigation Company, again another concern not officially on her register. July 1857 was on the Adelaide - Goolwa run in South Australia and in October 1857, got ashore at the river mouth. This stranding left her unable to be refloated and she was sold as a wreck. (new owner??) Refloated in February 1858, repaired and placed upon the Port Adelaide - Melbourne run. October 1858 placed upon the run to Port Curtis, (goldfields) Queensland from Geelong with 9 saloon and 52 steerage passengers. Sold in February 1859 to Joseph Coleman, registered Port Adelaide. (Note: this sale seems a bit 'late' in light of her previous history out of Port Adelaide) June 1860 sold to Edye Manning, Sydney who employed her in a collier capacity only. Traded the New Zealand coast from March until June 1861 and on June 26 1861 took southern New South Wales coal to Melbourne (believed to be a first). Since, brought coal to Geelong from New South Wales in supplying the Victorian Railway. July 14 or 15 1866 foundered in a tremendous Gales with a loss of all hands, ten in total, off Wollongong, New South Wales



George Hall, Adelaide W J Wardle
Ed Ed Ed Ed
BURRA BURRA
1854-60
....................
COOLGARDIE
1881-1922
WORTANNA
1875-1957
................ image courtesy ..................
BURRA BURRA 321 gross tons, 195 net. Lbd: 150'8" x 23'3" x 11'9". Iron steamship built by Cato, Miller & Co., Liverpool with an oscillating engine = 80 horsepower. Built under supervision of Alfred Holt, later of Blue Funnel Line fame, as a passenger vessel accomodating 107 persons. Arrived Australia April 1855 and placed on the Adelaide - Melbourne service under ownership of George Hall (Adelaide) and J Gladstone (Surrey, England). Had a figurehead of a 'miner' at her bow. Was found too slow in competing with other vessels on that run and sold off to interests in Batavia in 1858-9. Register closed 1860

COOLGARDIE 2,542 gross tons, 1,653 net. Lbd: 329'1" x 38'3" x 26'. Iron steamship built as a passenger-cargo vessel by R Dixon & Co., Middlesborough England as the Bothwell Castle for the Castle Steam Ship Co. (T Skinner, London). Compounded engine producing 304 horsepower. Acquired by McIlwraith McEacharn Co Ltd., Melbourne 1896 yet renamed much later, in May 1899. Serviced the West Australian run from the eastern seaboard ports of Australia. 1913 December sold to C Crosby & Partners. 1916 W J Wardle. 1920 Eastern Shipping Agents Ltd. September 1922 to Italian interests for demolition at Genoa
WORTANNA 191 gross tons. Iron auxilliary motor vessel. Propulsion: Side Lever 2 cylinder 60nhp paddle. Built 1875 by Barclay Curle & Company Glasgow, as the Albatrossfor Captain Mitchell. Constructed as a paddle steamer rigged as a brig. 1876 owned by John Marshall, Melbourne. 1877 J Paterson, Melbourne. 1906 E Newbiggin & Partners. 1909 J Paterson & Co Ltd, Melbourne. 1917-18 J Wardle. 1918 Frank A Verco. 1917-18 new oil engine added and rebuilt as auxiliary 3 mast schooner. Lbd became 131'4" x 21'1" x 10'4". 1920 Victor C Reeves, Hobart. 1921 Cairns Timber Ltd. June 1922 Adelaide Steamship Co. Converted into a Sugar lighter, North Queensland ports. 1942-1945 requisitioned by US Army. Returned to Adelaide Steamship Co and re-engined into twin screw motor vessel diesel power of 228 gross tons. 18th November 1957 struck rocks Mourilyan Harbour, Queensland (en route Mourilyan to Cairns with sugar) and abandoned as a total loss. Sold for scrapping 8th January 1958 (Wortanna is aboriginal for 'the sea')


Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
....................
....................
....................
....................
....................
................ image courtesy ..................








TOP of PAGE HOME!


2007 ©John E Hoskin/Port Australia
All Rights Reserved