FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

PORT AUSTRALIA
FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES

IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA

OF


Various shipping lines & Individual shipowners
registered in and operating out of


Ed

VICTORIA
AUSTRALIA





G ADAMS (Later of Tattersall fame) John Anderson & Others, Melbourne BELFAST & KOROIT
S N Co
Port Fairy Victoria
George T BELL, Melbourne James BELL & Co, Melbourne
BELL Steamships, Melbourne
J Benn, Melbourne
H B Black
Melbourne
BRIGHT Bros
Melbourne
A A Broadfoot & partners, Melbourne W G Bruce
Melbourne
A CAIRNS & Partners, Melbourne G A Carpenter, Melbourne Carson & McIlwraith, Melbourne J T Cockshott, Melbourne George Ward COLE
Melbourne
George COPPIN
Melbourne
W Cowper & Partners
Melbourne
C CROSBY &, Melbourne W. CROSBY & Co
Melbourne
A Dawson, Melbourne
James Deane
Melbourne
Charles Douglas & Partners, Melbourne A J ELLERKER, Melbourne J Fowler & Partners, Melbourne FULTON & Robinson, Melbourne GEELONG Steam Navigation Co
Geelong
William J Gibson, Melbourne H Glass, Melbourne GRICE SUMNER & Co., Melbourne S G HENTY & Co., Portland
Western Victoria
J & E Hill, Melbourne
A C James & Others R Kennedy & Sons Pty., Melbourne Peter Le Page, Melbourne F E Liardet, Melbourne Lilly & Robinson
W, Locke, Melbourne Joseph Lukey, Melbourne Andrew LYALL, Melbourne A G McCombe, Melbourne Carson & McIlwraith, Melbourne W McMullen, Melbourne
J Marshall, Melbourne J R Miller E J Mountjoy, Melbourne E Newbiggin & Partners, Melbourne North Mt. Lyall Copper Co Ltd, Melbourne Nobel Industries, Melbourne T Norton, Melbourne
J Paterson, Melbourne J C Petersen PHILLIP ISLAND & WESTERNPORT Shipping Co PORTLAND & BELFAST S N Co., Portland Victoria RALEIGH, Locke, Thorpe & Co, Melbourne
C V Robinson & Partners, Melbourne Fulton & ROBINSON, Melbourne Lilly & Robinson SCOTT & Young, Melbourne J Sinclair, Melbourne S B Skinner, Melbourne S B Skinner, & Partners, Melbourne H C Sleigh, Melbourne Captain W H Smith, Melbourne
T J Sumner, Melbourne Thomas Thorpe, Melbourne John Traill, Melbourne J F Tully Victoria S N Co, Melbourne
VICTORIA & TASMANIA Steam Navigation Co., Melbourne H F Walker WARRNAMBOOL Steam Packet Co Captain Webb, Melbourne R WENDELSTADT of Melbourne
Western District Timber Co Pty Ltd of Geelong Western District Steam Ship Co Ltd., Melbourne WESTERN Steam Navigation Co J J White, Melbourne W J Wischer Scott & YOUNG, Melbourne




BELFAST & KOROIT Steam Navigation Co., Port Fairy
Operated west coast of Victoria
Ed Ed
HOUSE FLAG FUNNEL


Ed Ed Ed
BELLINGER
1884-1908
CASINO
1882-1932
CASINO image courtesy State Library Queensland
BELLINGER 225 gross tons, 134 net. Lbd: 125' x 22'1" x 8'7". Iron steamship, compounded engine producing 45 horsepower, 2 masts schooner rigged and rated at 9.5 knots. Built by J McArthur & Co., Paisley, Glasgow for G W Nicoll, Sydney. Passenger - cargo vessel on the New South Wales Northern river service. Sold December 1884 to the Belfast & Koroit S N Co., Port Fairy Victoria for their Western ports to Melbourne service. 1887 returned to Nicoll's ownership, this time to B B Nicoll. 1890 sold to Captain E T Miles, Hobart. September 1894 sold to T A Reynolds of Hobart. 1896 taken over by Union Steamship Co New Zealand with the rest of T.A. Reynolds, Hobart fleet, 1897 sold to Northern Steamship Co., Auckland, and renamed Muritai. Wrecked upon the New Zealand coast on May 27th 1908. NOTE: Not the Bellinger of North Coast S N Co built 1901
CASINO 425 tons, 274 net. Lbd: 160'4" x 24'1" x 10'2". Iron steamship, passenger-cargo built by Gourlay Bros & Co., Dundee, Scotland. for B B Nicoll, Sydney. The ship left Dundee on 18th March 1882 and sailed to Sydney via the Cape of Good Hope. En route the ship stopped in Warrnambool to pick up coal. There, it was inspected by the Belfast and Koroit Steam Navigation Company, who decided to purchase the SS Casino. The steamship sailed onto Sydney to deliver its cargo and then returned to Melbourne to begin the west coast run. Casino was three masted iron screw steamer. One deck, iron framework, a schooner rig and an inverted compound two cylinder 65 horsepower engine built by Gourlay Brothers. In the early days, she was sometimes rigged as a topsail schooner as the ship’s big spread of canvas helped reduce fuel consumption. 10th July, 1932 off Apollo Bay Victoria in heavy weather, keeled over and sank after striking seabed earlier when attempting to enter port. From a crew of sixteen plus two passengers, only eight survived


Ed Ed Ed
DAWN
1876-1928
CORAMBA
1911-34
WANNON
1919-57
CORAMBA (b42060) & WANNON (b38398) images courtesy State Library Victoria
DAWN 522 gross tons, 328 net. Lbd: 164'6" x 24' x 18'4". Iron steamship built by W T Pile & Co., Sunderland England for the Portland & Belfast S N Co., Portland Victoria. Passenger - cargo vessel, compounded engine producing 75 nhp. October 1885 owned by the Belfast & Koroit S N Co., Port Fairy Victoria for their Western ports trade. March 1896 owned by W Howard Smith & Sons Ltd., Melbourne. Sunk in a collision with the Macedon (also of the Howard Smith fleet) on March 25th 1879 on the Yarra River Melbourne. The hole was 'patched' and she was refloated. repaired and resumed normal duties. Serviced many ports around Australia as the South Australian coast, and the Esperance to Albany mail run and took in Queensland trade routes. Was chartered by the Australasian S N Co from October 1906 on the Queensland coastal run. May 1908 sold to E F Allen of Samoa and of Samoa Shipping Trading Co Ltd 1911. Scuttled 3rd March 1928 off Fiji
CORAMBA 531 gross tons, 221 net. Lbd: 160'3" x 30' x 10'. Steel twin screw steamship of 73 horsepower and built at Ayr, Scotland, for North Coast S N Co., Sydney. Sold during 1932 to Belfast & Koroit S.N. Co. Disappeared without trace in a gale having left Warrnambool for Melbourne on 29 Nov 1934 with a crew of sixteen. Believed to have foundered off Phillip Island, Victoria
WANNON 567 gross tons. Lbd: 167'4" x 26'6" x 11'. Steel hulled, single screw steam coaster, coal burner (burnt briquettes when on Melbourne-Tassie run); 3cyl triple expansion steam engine, 61 nhp; built 1919 at Enkhuisen, Holland, as Boschpolder; 1920 as British flag Rawlinson; 1922 to Canterbury Steamship Co. Ltd. Lyttleton, N.Z, as Gale; 1935 to Belfast & Koroit Steam navigation Co. Ltd., Melbourne, renamed Wannon. During World War 2 as (S-153) carried general equipment, stores to U.S. Army camps at islands such as Woodlark, Kiriwina, Goodenough. Also served at Lae, Finschhafen and Wewak. Returned to owners and in 1957 went to Hong Kong shipbreakers


BRIGHT Brothers of Melbourne
&
GIBBS BRIGHT & Co
Note: Where Bright Bros were also involved in a joint ownership of the Eastern & Australasian Line - displayed fully on a separate webpage in this site - this segment recognises their vessels registered in Australia under this name
Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
HERO
1861-91
GREAT BRITAIN
1843-86
LADY DARLING
1864-80
ROYAL CHARTER
1854-59
GAZELLE
1852-88
GREAT BRITAIN image classic Dickson-Gregory art
LADY DARLING (103464b) courtesy State Library Queensland
HERO 985 gross tons, 851 net. Lbd:224'3" x 29'2" x 15'7". Iron steamship of 2 cylinders producing 150 horsepower. Built by C & W Earle, Hull England for unknown owners in 1861 as a passenger vessel. Sold 1862 to J Baines & Co. Blackball line, Liverpool. November 1863 sold to T J Sumner, J Benn & R Bright and registered at Melbourne. 1865 chartered by the Queensland Government for a mail run from Brisbane to Batavia, linking with the English mail steamers at that port. 1866 she ran the newcastle - melbourne coal trade. 1873 she was used on the Auckland - Sydney - Melbourne passenger service, extending that itinery to Fiji by 1878. 1880 sold to Union Steamship Co of New Zealand. June 1886 sold to Mitchell, Tyler, O'Connor & Irwin, of Sydney. March 1891 sold to Noumea interests ( O L Montifiore ) and hulked. 1901 the hulk was driven ashore, permanently on Kaouauva, New Caledonia
GREAT BRITAIN 3,270 gross tons, 2,982 net. Lbd: 322' x 51' x 32'. Iron screw steamer, Built 1843 by Patterson, Bristol for the Great Western Steamship Company on a design by the renown engineer I K Brunel and initially designed as a screw steamer. When completed she was ‘ the most beautiful ship afloat’. Operated initially on the Atlantic run, the first iron vessel to do so. In September 1846, ran ashore in Dundrum Bay, Ireland and lay there all winter until towed off. Sold to Gibbs, Bright & Co (Liverpool and Australian Line) also known as Bright Bros. & Co., Melbourne. After a rig change to be of 2 funnels and four masts in 1852, ran in the Melbourne - London trade for twenty- one years. 1853 at Liverpool she underwent further modifications to be of one funnel and three masts. Sold circa 1881. In 1882 she was converted to a sailing ship 1886 after sustaining serious damage, she was hulked, towed to Sparrow Cove at Port Stanley, Falkland Islands, 1927. Since - The hulk of the Great Britain was towed to England from the Falkland Islands for restoration in Bristol, where she may be seen
LADY DARLING 649 gross tons, 528 net. Lbd: 189'4" x 27'8" x 16'5". Iron steamship built by W H Potter & Co., Liverpool. Three-masted and of 2 cylinder engine producing 100 horsepower. Owned by T & H Bright, registered at Liverpool. February 1866 owned by C E Bright registered Melbourne (read: Bright Bros & Co., Melbourne) who announced her as a passenger vessel on the Melbourne - Sydney - Newcastle route. Transferred back to Liverpool in 1869 where she underwent lengthening in 1870 revealing tonnage as 895 gross and 722 net. Her dimensions read: 239'6" x 28'1" x 16'4". Returned to Australian shores 1874, purchased by this concern that year and January 1875 officially owned by James Paterson & E Newbiggin (James Paterson & Co). Since her refitting it seems she became a cargo vessel, collier only, carrying coal from Newcastle to Melbourne. November 11 1880 wrecked of Cape Dromedary, New South Wales
ROYAL CHARTER 2,719 gross tons. Lbd: 235' x 41'5" x 22'5". Iron auxiliary steamship, built on the River Dee, south of Liverpool 1854. Owned by Gibbs Bright & Company. After a disasterous start to her career with several mishaps, reached Melbourne in the excellent time of just under sixty days. Her speed and splendid accommodation attracted great interest and she soon became one of the most popular ships to visit Australia. On 26 August 1859 under Captain Taylor, she left Melbourne for Liverpool with 500 passengers and crew, 68,397 ounces of gold and £48,000 in sovereigns. After a record run of fifty-five days she reached Queenstown, Ireland where thirteen passengers disembarked and eleven riggers from another ship joined her. Passengers requested she call at Holyhead to allow them to see the giant Great Eastern, at that time the largest ship in the world, and this delay was to prove fatal. As she left Holyhead rough weather was working up and when off Point Lynas (north Anglesey, Wales), hurricane force winds and giant seas forced her towards the rocky coast as she searched in vain for a pilot. For a while she used the engines to help her anchors hold her while the masts were cut away, but the cables parted, the rigging from her fallen masts tangled around her propeller shaft, and just before dawn on 25 October she went ashore in Moelfre Bay on the east coast of Anglesey, Wales. Only 27 men managed to reach shore before huge waves dumped the ship across rocks, breaking her in two and drowning 459 persons, including her master. A four sided memorial stone pedestal stands in the tiny church of Lianallgo in Angelsey, north-west Wales. Two months after the tragedy Charles Dickens visited Moelfre and adapted a story of the wreck for a tale in the Uncommercial Traveller. As John Lewis of Bristol who was the purser on the Royal Charter was lost with all his records, the exact number of persons on board was never known. Divers were sent down to recover bodies and the gold, in bags and iron chests, estimated to be about half a million sterling. Much was recovered. Some specie still remains on the treacherous wrecksite
GAZELLE 79 gross tons, 47 net. Lbd: 82' x 15'2" x 7'8". Iron steamship built by John Horn, Waterford England in 1852 and rebuilt by Anderson & Grubbs at Lytellton new Zealand during 1867. From the onset she was owned by A G Robinson of Melbourne although registered in London. In 1854 she was employed as a ferry so to speak operating between Williamstown and Melbourne, no great distance in any locals' eyes. (Especially mine). Also owned during that year of 1854 since A G Robinson by F E Liardet under whom the ferry service most likely took effect. A street in Melbourne carries the Liardet surname. 1856 saw ownership of M L Goodwin, registered Launceston Tasmania. He employed her on the passenger trade between Launceston and Georgetown until 1860 when sold to Lilly and Robinson, both of the Western districts of Victoria. Likely serviced the coastal ports south- west of Victoria to Melbourne, as was their domain until September 1861 when sold to J T Cockshott, Melbourne. From February 1862 until April 1879 she worked the New Zealand coastal trade under unknown New Zealand ownership. During that time she was rebuilt as per above. April 1879 owned by R Bright, of Melbourne and so registered there. One month later owned by W J Wischer and in March 1884 owned by H F Walker. Spending her last ten years plying the coast of Victoria under the ownership of the last three mentioned, she eventually sank at Apollo Bay Victoria on 25th February 1888


George Ward COLE
Merchant and Shipowner, Melbourne
Coles wharf, on the Yarra River and adjacent to Queens St Bridge was a landmark of the era carrying his name
MAITLAND
1837-55
CITY OF MELBOURNE
1851-73
GEELONG
1854-79
ZINGARI
1852-60+
PRINCE ALBERT
1852-63+
No images available
MAITLAND 140 gross tons, 103 net. Lbd: 103'2" x 15'6" x 8'3". Wooden paddle steamship of passenger capacity as built by John Russell at Darling Harbour, Sydney for Edye Manning of Sydney in 1837. Of 40 horsepower but later replaced with 60 horsepower machinery in 1841. Became the Illawarra Steam Packet Company's first vessel in 1839. Of the General S N Co late 1839 upon the merger of Illawarra S P Co and the Brisbane Water S N Co. December 1845 owned by A C James & Others. November 1847 of the Hunter River S N Co. December 1850 owned by G W Cole & Partners (Messers Bruce & Norton) and was employed as a tug, tender and ferry on the Yarra River. Also serviced Geelong 1850-51 until 1852. Burnt out upon the Yarra river, Melbourne November 27th 1855. Raised, rebuilt and renamed Samson. Became a total loss at Hokitika, New Zealand September 29th, 1865
CITY OF MELBOURNE 168 gross tons, 138 net. Lbd: 118'4" x 18'5" x 8'5". Wooden auxilliary steamer with oscillating engine of 25 horsepower and rigged as a 3 masted schooner. Built by J Kruse, Melbourne for George Ward COLE and registered in that great city. April 1863 sold to Australasian S N Co., after being salvaged from a deliberate 'run-ashore' at King Island in Bass Strait whilst in a storm during her normal run between the Melbourne and Tasmania. She was extremely popular in her day as a Bass Strait steamer, being nicknamed affectionally the 'Screw". Her fame is as the first auxilliary screw steamship built in Australia. ASN Co sold her late 1855 having placed her on the Moreton Bay run without favour from the locals and since on the Sydney - Morpeth trade where she found ground at Oyster bank, Newcastle New South Wales. August 19th 1855 she came aflame at Sydney whilst undergoing repairs and near gutted. Repaired, sold whereupon her engine was removed and she was converted as a 3 masted barque. Her engine went into the paddle steamer Eagle, also of the fleet. Wrecked near Burrum River, Queensland in a violent storm on December 28th 1873
GEELONG 172 gross tons, 108 net. Lb: 129'5" x 17'5". Iron paddle steamer built 1854 by T Wingate & Company Glasgow. Propulsion: C2cy diagonal 90nhp. Owner History: Thomas Thorpe, W Locke & W McMullen, Melbourne. 1856 T Norton. December 1856 owned or more likely managed by G W Coleas records state as owned by by Australasian S N Co., Australia between 1856 and 1859. Sold 1859 to E B Cargill, Dunedin New Zealand. 1859 John Jones & others (Southern Steam Nav Co). 1874 Donald Sinclair. 1877 G W Binney, Auckland. Wrecked 10th March 1879 on the inner bank of the south west entrance to Whangape Harbour New Zealand (2 lost). (Sources Clydebuilt and N L McKellar in his book 'Derby round to Burketown'). Not to be confused with Howard Smith's steamer of the same name, same era
ZINGARI 246 gross tons, 167 net. Lbd: 130'6" x 21' x 13'. Wooden steamship of 60 horsepower and built at Radcliffe Cross Dock, Middlesex England for M Bury & Partners., London. Brought out to Melbourne Australia October 1867 via New Zealand where she had worked their coastal services since 1854. Sold October 1858 to G W Cole who placed her unsuccessfully on the Melbourne - Sydney passenger trade. Passengers shunned wooden vessels at that time and so she was sent to Hong Kong for sale. Arrived February 15th 1860 and no details known since
PRINCE ALBERT 270 gross tons, 125 net. Lb: 132'9" x 18'9". Iron paddle steamer built by Smith & Rodger Govan, Galsgow for Lewis Potter, Glasgow. 1853 James Rae, Melbourne. 1853 R & S Raleigh, Melbourne. 1856 T Norton. 1860 G W Cole, Melbourne. 1860 F Greer, Dunedin New Zealand. 1863 John Lamont, Hong Kong. 1863 unknown owners, records end, No further details


Ed W CROSBY & Co, Melbourne
Early shipowners as shown below. Up to the early 1980's were still active purely as shipping agents based in Melbourne
Ed
Ed Ed Ed
WONGANELLA
1904-28+
PUKAKI
1887-37
WILLANDRA (1)
1919-44
WONGANELLA image (b36822) courtesy State Library Victoria
WILLANDRA (1) image (bs004048) as the Waitemata also courtesy State Library Victoria
PUKAKI image (a639310r( courtesy State Library New South Wales
WONGANELLA 33,998 gross tons. Lbd: 360' x 49' x 18'. (109.7 x 14.8 metres) Steel single screw cargo vessel built for and owned by Sir James Laing & Sons Ltd, London at Deptford Yard, Sunderland. Triple expansion engine making 10 knots. Fully completed October 1904 and from December 1904 chartered by W Scott Fell & Co and was probably purpose built with ship's name and charter arrangements between Fell and Laing whilst on the stocks. 1910 under ownership of William Crosby and Co., Melbourne. Ship name changed to Wonganella. Visited Auckland New Zealand as Wonganella once on 19 February 1928. At this time she was registered at Cape Town South Africa. 1930 sold to G E Sandstrom and renamed Magda. Wrecked on the Stragglers, Smyth Channel 31st March 1933
PUKAKI 1,444 gross tons, 917 net. Lb: 230' x 36'2". (17.1 x 11.1 metres). Single screw, quadruple expansion engine. Four cylinders 110nhp 10½ knots. Passenger-cargo vessel built by William Denny & Brothers , Dumbarton for the Union S S Co of New Zealand Ltd, Dunedin. 1915 sold to W Crosby & Co., Melbourne. 1924 sold to Foo Chong SS Co renamed Foo Chong. 1928 of Wen Kee & Co (Zung Wen Ping), Shanghai. 1933 sold to Kin Sing Li renamed Foo Nan. 1935 of Foo Ning Steamship Co, Shanghai. Broken up at Shanghai 1937
WILLANDRA (1) 5,729 gross tons. Lbd:400' x 53'. Built by Northumberland SB Co. Ltd, Howden on Tyne for the Shipping Controller, England as the War Rampart but completed June 1919 as the Waitemata (11) for Union Steamship Co of New Zealand, registered London. 1932 sold to W Crosby & Co., Melbourne, and renamed Willandra. 1933 sold to Dairen Kisen KK, Dairen Japan and renamed Yuki Maru. 16th June 1944 torpedoed and sunk by USS Bream at 02.23N 128.43E


Ed Ed Ed
WILLANDRA (11)
1919-44
COOMBAR
1912-56
MOONTA
1892-1931
WILLANDRA (11) image (04519r) as the Bata & COOMBAR image (04519r) courtesy State Library New South Wales
MOONTA image (b43024) courtesy State Library Victoria
WILLANDRA (11) 5,328 gross tons. Lb: 401' 52'3". Built by J. Brown & Co. Ltd, Clydebank. Initially under Shipping controller, Britain but completed October 1919 as Bata, a 'standard' vessel for African Steam Ship Co. (Elder Dempster & Co.), London. 1934 sold to Tower S S Co, London and renamed Tower Abbey, 1935 renamed Willandra (11), when sold to William Crosby & Co, London. Sold 1938 to Taihei Kisen K.K. (Yamashita Kisen K.K.), Kobe and renamed Uchide Maru. 29th February 1944 torpedoed and sunk by USS Sargo 08.57N 132.52E.
COOMBAR 594 gross tons. Lbd: 172'8" x 29'7" x 10'10". Built 1912 by Murdoch & Murray, Glasgow for North Coast S N Co, Sydney. 1937 W. R. Carpenter & Co, Sydney. 1940 W Crosby & Co, Melbourne, 1941-1946 RAN Minesweeper. 1946 sold to Singapore interests. 1948 renamed San David. 1949 sold to Haiphong owners renamed Orion. 1956 to Vietnam renamed Trung Thin. Deleted from register in 1967
MOONTA 2,266 gross tons. Lbd: 280' x 38'1" x 16'2". Steel steamship built by W Dobson and Co., Tyne Newcastle England as La Serena. Chartered by Adelaide Steamship Co., from July 1896 under La Serena until stranded and abandoned to underwriters April 10th 1899. Purchased as a wreck by Adelaide Steamship Co., 1899 and registered as Moonta 1900. Sold 1913 to William Crosby & Co., Melbourne. January 1915 sold to Japan renamed Tokei Maru. Scrapped Japan 1931


GEELONG Steam Navigation Co
Shipping concern that operated out of Victoria's second major port to Melbourne and along the western districts. Formed (officially) at Geelong on the 5th March 1852, this concern appointing Duncan Hoyle as Chairman. Another record states this concern as operating from as early as 1840. the steamship 'Aphrasia' certainly indicates this
Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
APHRASIA
1841-
DUNCAN HOYLE
1852-60
GLASGOW CITIZEN
1854-62
LADYBIRD
1851-80's
KEERA
1851-77
GLASGOW CITIZEN image (a25099) courtesy State Library Victoria
APHRASIA Completed her first trip from Melbourne to Geelong on the 5th July 1841. Ran a regular passenger service on Monday, Wednesday and friday for two years until competition saw her alter the days of sailing. A steamship, no other details except she was withdrawn from service at the end of 1853, being replaced by the Duncan Hoyle. Aphrasia means 'Spirit of the Foam'
DUNCAN HOYLE 188 gross tons, 131 net. Lbd: 139'6" x 17'7" x 8'6". Iron paddle steamer of passenger capability built by Scott & Sons, Greenock, Glasgow for Duncan Hoyle and registered at Greenock. February 1854 J Cowie & Others trading as the Geelong Steam Navigation Co., (of which Duncan Hoyle was Chairman) registered at Geelong Victoria. Worked between Geelong and Melbourne. November 1855 sold to G W Walker, B Rout and F Haller all of Hobart Town who had intentions of forming their own shipping concern. She saw little employment and that company didn't eventuate in name. The ship consequently being sold in September 1858 to ASN Co. Placed on the Sydney - Northern New South Wales coastal run she was soon sold to Grafton S N Co. Records do not indicate this officially. Sold again 1960 to Hong Kong owners and records end there
GLASGOW CITIZEN 173 gross tons. Lbd: 156'9" x 16'3" x 8'3". Paddle steamer, built on the Clyde, 1852. A popular ferry between Geelong and Melbourne. Known as The Citizen, she was renamed that at an unknown date. Owner History: J Barr & R Little & Co, Greenock. 1854 Geelong Steam Nav Co, Geelong. 1861 sold by auction toT Woodhouse, Melbourne. T Norton, Melbourne. On 15 October 1862, left for Dunedin loaded with passengers for the New Zealand goldfields discovered there at Otago, but was not seen again
LADYBIRD 248 gross tons, 176 net. Lbd: 153'7" x 21'3" x 10'8". Iron steamship of 2 cylinder engines producing 90 horsepower as built by W Denny & Bros, Dumbarton for H P Maples & Co., London. Arrived in the colonies of Australia during 1853 and J Cowie & Partners (Geelong S N Co., Geelong) quickly purchased her for their Geelong - Launceston run. Passengers for Launceston from Melbourne were transported to Geelong via the Duncan Hoyle and the Keera. Sold May 1855 to J Crookes & others, who traded as the Launceston S N Co., Launceston Tasmania. May 1856 sold to Green & Cleveland. November 1856 owned by S G Henty registered at Melbourne. About this time her superstructure was added to, changing her tonnage to be 431 gross and 287 net. S G Henty had intended her for the Melbourne - Port Adelaide passenger trade stopping at various minor ports along the western coast of Victoria. Made one run to Albany Western Australia on a mail run, but found too small. 1863 sold to New Zealand Steam Nav Co, Wellington. 1870 J Dransfield & Co, Wellington. 1872 New Zealand Steam Ship Co, Wellington. 1876 Union Steamship Co of New Zealand Ltd, Wellington 1881 Westport Coal Co. During the 1880's she was hulked and her hull was sunk by gunfire from H M S Challenger in Cook Strait New Zealand 1905
KEERA 169 gross tons, 114 net. Lbd: 102'1" x 20'5" x 10'4". Iron passenger steamship of 2 cylinder engines as built by Thomas Toward, St Peters Quay, Newcastle-on-Tyne for Henry G Smith., Newcastle England. Registry transferred to Sydney Australia in January 1852. Has distinction of being the first single screw steamship built built overseas for an Australian owner. Intended for the Sydney - Wollongong trade she was found too large for the Wollongong basin and offered for sale. Purchased in November 1852 by the Geelong S N Co., Geelong who placed her on the Geelong - Melbourne run. Sold October 1854 to G & J Gill, Melbourne. September 1885 of E Fowler & Partners. October 1859 of J Fowler & others. During 1864 she was modified to be of 197 gross tons and 145 net, with dimensions as 110'1" x 20'4" x 9'3'. July 1865 owned by Gippsland S N Co., Melbourne. Worked the Port Albert - Gippsland coastal trade routes until sold to Carey & Gillies in October 1865. March 1867 she was wrecked on the New Zealand coast. Salvaged at a later unknown date, she was rebuilt, her new life saw her lengthened to 133' x 20'4" x 9'4" with tonnage as 230 gross and 158 net. January 1873 saw her owned by H A Coffey, registered Sydney. March 1873 purchased by Colonial Sugar Refining Co (CSR) and worked their run between Sydney and the Clarence River, northern New South Wales. Curiously she carried sugar to Sydney and freighted coal on her return voyages. Hulked in 1877


GRICE SUMNER & Co., Melbourne North Mt. Lyall Copper Co Ltd, Melbourne
Ed Ed Ed
BLACKBIRD
1863-78
PENOLA
1863-87
NORTH LYALL
1899-1956
NORTH LYALL as the Moura image courtesy State Library Queensland
BLACKBIRD 665 gross tons, 531 net. Lbd: 196'4" x 28'4" x 16'7". Iron steamship built by C Mitchell and Co., at Low-Walker Newcastle on Tyne in 1863 as an three-masted iron screw barque for Grice Sumner & Co., Melbourne. Was placed briefly on the Adelaide-Melbourne run in replacing the damaged Penola, also owned by Grice Sumner and Co., during repairs. Since, she worked the Melbourne - Queensland mail run under contract up until 1873, and undercutting the 'established' shipping firms with low fares for passengers along the way. 1876 she was purchased by (Captain) A. Campbell & Partners, registered Sydney. This partnership seems to float in and out of percentage ownership, where all commenced with 25% equal shareholding until, 1872 when a J Johnson held 1/8th percentage of at least this vessel. By 1875 the Cowlinshaw brothers seemed to have manging rights, by advertising her for passengers to Townsville and Cooktown from Sydney. In rough weather, and under command of Captain McConach, she was wrecked a short distance west from the Kate Kearney Channel, Gippsland coast, 2 June 1878. No loss of life
PENOLA 349 tons. Lbd: 170'5" x 22'5" x 12'6". Iron steamer clipper bow built by Laurence Hill & Co., Glasgow 1863 as the Penola for Grice Sumner and Co. of Melbourne. Designed for the passenger trade between Melbourne and Adelaide. Same year lengthened Lbd: 194'6" x 22'5" x 12'6". July 1865 G Ormerod, Robe Western Australia. Sank the steamship City of Launceston in a collision Port Phillip Bay November 19th 1865. Sold March 1874 to J J Grice & Partners. July 1887 sold to Mount Gambier Steamship Co Ltd. March 1881 Piggot & Partners. October 1882 W Whinham, Port Adelaide. August 1883 Adelaide Steamship Co who retained the name Penola until rebuilt and given a straight stem, Lbd: 192'1" x 22'5" x 12'6" in 1885 and renamed PERTH. She was wrecked ashore near Point Cloates, Western Australia, 13th September 1887. The boiler burst soon after she struck injuring several firemen, but all passengers and crew landed safely
NORTH LYALL 2,027 gross tons, 1,274 net. Lbd: 300' x 40.6' x 20.1'; 2 x 4 cylinder steam engines, 210 nhp; Steel hull, twin screw, cargo steamship built by W G Armstrong, Whitworth & Co., at Newcastle-on-Tyne for North Mt. Lyall Copper Co Ltd., Melbourne as the North Lyall. Built for ther passenger-cargo trade between Strahan, Tasmania and Melbourne. By the time she was built this company had no need for her. Sold 1899 to Union Steam Ship Co of New Zealand and renamed Moura. 1915 sold to Douglas Steamship Co., Hong Kong, and renamed Hai Hong Philippine based Ferrandez Hermanos Inc., acquired her and she became the Mactan. Taken over by USA small fleet command during 2nd world war and she became, for a while a hospital ship bringing wounded from the Philippines to Brisbane in January 1942. Converted to an Army Officers Recreation Vessel in Sydney, she sailed from Walsh Bay 8th August 1943. Stationed at Waga Waga in Milne Bay August 1943. Chief cook was the ex-chef from the Hotel Carlton in Sydney. She carried two professional barbers (who played cribbage morning, noon and night!) and had an icecream machine, a rare thing in New Guinea. Ownership since hostilities ended is unknown however, she was scrapped under the name Mactan at Hong Kong in 1956


S G HENTY & Co., Portland also S & E HENTY
Small operator who held preference to the western coastal district of Victoria in various shipping ventures
circa 1850
Ed Ed Ed Ed
GIPSY
1842-56
LADYBIRD
1851-80's
CHAMPION
1854-57
QUEEN
1852-67
GIPSY image personal collection
GIPSY 75 gross tons, 43 burthen. Lbd: 80'4" x 15'7" x 8'4". Wooden paddle steamship built by Chowne, Thompson & Chowne at Pyrmont, Sydney for the Tamar S N Co., Launceston. Held a 35 horsepower engine taken from the paddle steamer Maitland and installed by William Bourne, Sydney. Designed as a passenger tender and tug for use upon the Tamar River, Tasmania, even carrying passengers from Sydney to Launceston on her maiden voyage. 1847 owned by F A Ducroz, unknown registration. March 1852 owned by Gilmore & Henty, Melbourne. 1853 owned by the Victoria S N Co, Melbourne as owned by Broadfoot, Bonnar & Co. Used upon Hobsons Bay to Queens Wharf, Melbourne as a passenger/cargo tender until sold in September 1855 to J C Williamson, Sydney. Here then she was used as a passenger/cargo vessel servicing the Sydney - Manning River trade. 24th April 1856 wrecked on the Manning River bar. Note: sometimes known as 'Gipsey' and "Gipsay"
LADYBIRD 248 gross tons, 176 net. Lbd: 153'7" x 21'3" x 10'8". Iron steamship of 2 cylinder engines producing 90 horsepower as built by W Denny & Bros, Dumbarton for H P Maples & Co., London. Arrived in the colonies of Australia during 1853 and J Cowie & Partners (Geelong S N Co., Geelong) quickly purchased her for their Geelong - Launceston run. Passengers for Launceston from Melbourne were transported to Geelong via the Duncan Hoyle and the Keera. Sold May 1855 to J Crookes & others, who traded as the Launceston S N Co., Launceston Tasmania. May 1856 sold to Green & Cleveland. November 1856 owned by S G Henty registered at Melbourne. About this time her superstructure was added to, changing her tonnage to be 431 gross and 287 net. S G Henty had intended her for the Melbourne - Port Adelaide passenger trade stopping at various minor ports along the western coast of Victoria. 24th August 1857 she rammed and sank the steamer Champion off Cape Otway. Made one run to Albany Western Australia on a mail run, but found too small. Sold to to New Zealand interests October 1864. During the 1880's she was hulked and her hull was sunk by gunfire from H M S Challenger in Cook Strait New Zealand 1905
CHAMPION 249 gross tons, 176 net. Lbd: 129'4" x 21'2" x 11'2". Iron steamship 3 masted schooner rigged as built by T D Marshall, South Shields for S G Henty, registered Portland Victoria. Passenger cargo vessel on the Portland - Melbourne service. Sank approx midnight on the 24th August 1857 when in a collision with her fleet running mate, the Ladybird. Rumours of 'match races' although much denied by the Captains, abounded at the time, with a Court of Inquiry finding recklessness on behalf of both Captains being the cause of the tragedy which cost the lives of thirty-two souls
QUEEN 201 gross tons, 137 net. Lbd: Built by Thomas Wingate & Co., at Whiteinch Lanarkshire in 1852 for the Orme Bros of Glasgow. Purchased December 1856. July 1858 sold to J MacAndrew and November 1859 to the Henty Brothers of Western Victoria, who increased her gross tonnage to 230 with dimensions of 144'5" x 19'3" x 11' in 1860. Sold 1864 to New Zealand S N Co and under Captain Kreeft, struck Cook's Rock in Cook Strait New Zealand on 5th April 1867 and sank


Ed Ed Ed
BARWON
1863-71
WESTERN
1861-1910
EDINA
1854-1938
EDINA image personal collection
BARWON 401 gross tons, 311 net. Lbd: 175' x 22'7" x 13'5". Iron steamship built at Greenock, Glasgow for R Little & Co., Glasgow, Of 90 horsepower. 1865 of Robert Neill, Geelong Victoria (possibly an agent for R Little) and in November that year ran Melbourne - Sydney to Hokitika, New Zealand as likely carrying passengers for the goldfields. 1866 was chartered to convey coal from Newcastle to Melbourne as well as passengers from Sydney to Melbourne. Stranded at Queenscliff Victoria on the 24th June 1866 and abandoned to underwriters. Purchased by S G Henty, of western Victoria who refloated her in a successful salvage whereupon she steamed without assistance to Melbourne for necessary repairs. Re-registered at Melbourne 1867 with dimensions being 419 gross tons, 366 net and Lbd: 172'3" x 21'6" x 14'. March 1868 sold to the Bulli Coal Mining Co., Sydney for use as a collier. April 3rd 1871 wrecked on a rock, 4 miles off Cape Bridgewater, Victoria
WESTERN 363 gross tons. Lbd: 183'4" x 23' x 12'6". Iron steamship built by C Mitchell & Co, Low Walker. Held inverted engine = 100hp. Passenger vessel designed for S G Henty & Co, Melbourne in their trade between Melbourne and the Western districts of Victoria. Sold February 1874 to C J Stevens, Sydney and placed upon the Queensland coastal run in opposition to the ASN fleet. July 1874 owned by D S Mitchell. Tonnage altered to 424 gross & 266 net. August 1877 owned by A McLean & Partners with tonnage decreased to 404 gross & 246 net. Most likely her passenger accomodation was removed as she was converted to a collier. July 1900 owned by S E Laidley. Hulked and registered closed 1910
EDINA 323 gross tons, 239 net. Lbd: 171' x 23'6" x 12'7". Iron steamship, built by Barclay, Curle & Co, Glasgow, for the Leith, Hull & Hamburg Steam Packet Co, Leith. Held 2 cylinder engine = 60hp. 1880 tonnage increased to 380 gross, 223 net. 1882 new engine and boiler, engine being compounded = 85hp. Registered Melbourne March 1863 for S G Henty. October 1863 owned by S & E Henty. March 1868 owned by Warrnambool Steam Packet Co, registered at Warrnambool. She ran the Victorian coastal ports of Warrnambool and Portland to Melbourne. Became better known in the bay trade when, in June 1875 purchased by W H Smith & Partners under the banner of the Melbourne Steam Ship Co, registered Melbourne. Of W Howard Smith & Sons Ltd as at October 1883. Of Howard Smith Ltd July 1901. Of Australia Steamships Ltd December 1913. Since 1875 serviced the Melbourne - Geelong passenger trade up to 1937, gaining enormous popularity owing to her longevity. In 1899, she rammed and sank her rival, the Excelsior, in Hobsons Bay, Port Phillip. which was raised seven months later. At her concept mid 1850's, she was chartered by the British Admiralty for service in the Crimean War. When she arrived at Melbourne on March 7th, 1863 she did so under sail only and, worked the western ports of Victoria to Melbourne. Also underwent a few voyages across the Tasman Sea to New Zealand mid 1860's during the height of their 'goldrush' era. Melbourne Steam Ship Company despatched her to Queensland in 1875, (carrying 80 passengers in 2 classes) working her from Sydney to Brisbane and later extending her itinerary further north as far as Maryborough. Under W H Smith's ownership in 1883 she was re-engined and some superficial alterations also made. 1938 sold to The Victorian Lighterage Co., Melbourne, converted into a lighter and renamed Dina. Broken up in Melbourne. Up until 1938 she was the oldest active steamship in Australian coastal service. A scale model almost 2 metres long of the Edina can be viewed at the Melbourne Maritime Immigration Museum, Customs House Flinders St., Melbourne Victoria Australia


PHILLIP ISLAND & WESTERNPORT SHIPPING Co
Ed Ed
ECLIPSE
c 1888
ALVINA
1887-61
ECLIPSE First ferry known circa 1888 in service in the area. Note added here as unsure of actual owner
ALVINA 194 gross tons. 134 ft. long Single screw steamship built and owned in England as a private luxury iron yacht in 1887. She sailed to Australia in 1903 and from this time became a Pilot vessel for Victorian Government. Purchased by Mr. A. K T. Sambell of Phillip Island and Westernport Shipping co. in 1923. She was one of the most graceful ships ever seen in Australian waters. Popular with holiday makers, especially for her excursion runs to Seal Rocks. She has a cruising speed of 12 knots. A trip around Phillip Island took about 4 hours. For some years motor cars were transported from Stony Point to Cowes by the Alvina, by hoisting them aboard with her cargo winches. She was replaced in 1933 by the Killara, the first vehicular ferry to service Westernport Bay. Finally scrapped 1961

Ed Ed Ed Ed
GENISTA
1899 to 1935
NARRABEEN
1921-58
KILLARA
1933 to 1942
GENISTA No details available
NARRABEEN 239 gross tons, 98 net. Lbd: 110' x 26'8" x 9'2". Wooden auxiliary ketch-rigged steamship, built as the Narrabeen and registered Sydney 1921 for use on Sydney Harbour. Came to Phillip Island & Westernport in and from 1928-32. Owned and registered Melbourne February 1933 by William Holyman & Sons Pty Ltd., and renamed Merilyn. Engaged in the Bass Strait Islands trade until sold to Adelaide interests in May 1948, when converted from a steamer. Sailed from Altona Victoria for Hobart, in fog, ran into rocks at the north-eastern end of Goose Island, Furneaux Group, Bass Strait 24th November 1958. Crew of seven landed safely on Goose Island. The cargo included 18 tons of explosives (gelignite), and as it was considered too dangerous to even attempt to salvage the vessel, she was blown up on 4 December 1958
KILLARA the first vehicular ferry to service Westernport Bay




PORTLAND & BELFAST S N Co., Portland Victoria
Ed
DAWN
1876-1928
DAWN image courtesy State Library Victoria
DAWN 522 gross tons, 328 net. Lbd: 164'6" x 24' x 18'4". Iron steamship built by W T Pile & Co., Sunderland England for the Portland & Belfast S N Co., Portland Victoria. Passenger - cargo vessel, compounded engine producing 75 nhp. October 1885 owned by the Belfast & Koroit S N Co., Port Fairy Victoria for their Western ports trade. March 1896 owned by W Howard Smith & Sons Ltd., Melbourne. Sunk in a collision with the steamship Macedon on March 25th 1879 on the Yarra River Melbourne. The hole was 'patched' and she was refloated. repaired and resumed normal duties. Serviced many ports around Australia as the South Australian coast, and the Esperance to Albany mail run and took in Queensland trade routes. Was chartered by the Australasian S N Co from October 1906 on the Queensland coastal run. May 1908 sold to E F Allen of Samoa and of Samoa Shipping Trading Co Ltd 1911. Scuttled 3rd March 1928 off Fiji


WARRNAMBOOL Steam Packet Company
Registered Warrnambool Victoria
renamed Company in 1878 becoming known as
WESTERN STEAM NAVIGATION Company
Ed Ed Ed Ed
OTWAY
EDINA
1854-1938
NELSON
1876-90
JULIA PERCY
1876-1910
OTWAY & NELSON images courtesy of State Library Victoria
JULIA PERCY image courtesy of State Library Queensland
OTWAY 446 tons. Lbd: 180' x 25' x 12'. Built Blackwood & Gordon, Glasgow for the Warnambool Steam Packet Co, Melbourne. May 1878 C V Robinson & Partners, Melbourne. November 1878 Lilly & Marshall, whom together with Anderson, became the Western Australian shipping company. That concern folded selling all to Adelaide Steamship Co in May 1883. Refitted 1883 to 203' x 25'2" x 12' with tonnage 563 gross. 1892 sold to A Jouve & Co, Noumea. June 1897 E F Knoblauch, reg Sydney. October 1897 sold to Illawarra Steam Nav Co. June 1901 sold to North coast S N Co and in August renamed Nymboida. Hulked 1913 and scrapped 1930
EDINA 323 gross tons, 239 net. Lbd: 171' x 23'6" x 12'7". Iron steamship, built by Barclay, Curle & Co, Glasgow, for the Leith, Hull & Hamburg Steam Packet Co, Leith. Held 2 cylinder engine = 60hp. 1880 tonnage increased to 380 gross, 223 net. 1882 new engine and boiler, engine being compounded = 85hp. Registered Melbourne March 1863 for S G Henty. October 1863 owned by S & E Henty. March 1868 owned by Warrnambool Steam Packet Co, registered at Warrnambool. She ran the Victorian coastal ports of Warrnambool and Portland to Melbourne. Became better known in the bay trade when, in June 1875 purchased by W H Smith & Partners under the banner of the Melbourne Steam Ship Co, registered Melbourne. Of W Howard Smith & Sons Ltd as at October 1883. Of Howard Smith Ltd July 1901. Of Australia Steamships Ltd December 1913. Since 1875 serviced the Melbourne - Geelong passenger trade up to 1937, gaining enormous popularity owing to her longevity. In 1899, she rammed and sank her rival, the Excelsior, in Hobsons Bay, Port Phillip. which was raised seven months later. At her concept mid 1850's, she was chartered by the British Admiralty for service in the Crimean War. When she arrived at Melbourne on March 7th, 1863 she did so under sail only and, worked the western ports of Victoria to Melbourne. Also underwent a few voyages across the Tasman Sea to New Zealand mid 1860's during the height of their 'goldrush' era. Melbourne Steam Ship Company despatched her to Queensland in 1875, (carrying 80 passengers in 2 classes) working her from Sydney to Brisbane and later extending her itinerary further north as far as Maryborough. Under W H Smith's ownership in 1883 she was re-engined and some superficial alterations also made. 1938 sold to The Victorian Lighterage Co., Melbourne, converted into a lighter and renamed Dina. Broken up in Melbourne 1957
NELSON 648 gross tons, 344 net. Lbd: 200' x 25'5" x 19'4'. Iron passenger steamship built at Port Glasgow by Blackwood Gordon & Co., for the Warrnambool Steam Packet Co Ltd., and registered Warrnambool. 1878 acquired by the Western Steam Navigation Co Ltd. June 1890 purchased by Huddart Parker & Co who had intended her for their Bass Strait run. Lost 9 June 1890 on her first crossing when she struck Porpoise Rock in the Tamar River, Tasmania
JULIA PERCY 496 gross tons, 282 net. Lbd: 197' x 24'2" x 13'. Iron steamship built by T Wingate & Co., Glasgow as the Julia Percy for the partnership of C V Robinson, J Lilly and J Marshall, Melbourne. January 1877 of the Warrnambool Steam Navigation Co., Warrnambool which later reformed as the Western S N Co., Melbourne Victoria. Worked the western Victorian seaports as a passenger - cargo vessel until the railway opened up in stiff competition and she was sold to Howard Smith & Sons Ltd., Melbourne in October 1886. Reputedly lengthened in 1877 to be of 580 gross tons, 335 net and Lbd: 219' x 24'2" x 13'. She worked the Queensland service until sold in June 1903 to G T Bell who placed her on the Western Australian service on that state's official mail run as contracted to that owner. May 25th 1905 she struck the jetty piles and sunk at Dongarra, Western Australia. Raised and sent to Fremantle for repairs she was soon after sold in 1906 to the Melbourne Steamship Co Ltd., Melbourne who then renamed her Leeuwin. They gained the Western Australian Government's passenger & mail contract to the port of Eucla and placed her on that service for the duration. Later placed upon the Eden (New South Wales) - Melbourne - Tasmanian ports run only to be found economically unviable, and she was hulked in 1910. Demolished 1934


Thorpe , Locke & McMullen, Melbourne Raleigh, Locke, Thorpe & Co, Melbourne Andrew Lyall of Melbourne R Wendelstadt of Melbourne Western District Timber Co Pty Ltd of Geelong
Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
GEELONG
1854-79
VICTORIA
1851-64
ARGYLE
1873-81
MANCHESTER
1851-56+
HILLMEADS
1907-57
HILLMEADS image courtesy Graeme Andrews
GEELONG 172 gross tons, 108 net. Lb: 129'5" x 17'5". Iron paddle steamer built 1854 by T Wingate & Company Glasgow. Compounded 2 cylinder diagonal = 90nhp. Owner History: Thomas Thorpe, W Locke & W McMullen, Melbourne. 1856 T Norton. December 1856 owned or more likely managed by G W Cole as records state as owned by Australasian S N Co., Australia between 1856 and 1859. Sold 1859 to E B Cargill, Dunedin New Zealand. 1859 John Jones & others (Southern Steam Nav Co). 1874 Donald Sinclair. 1877 G W Binney, Auckland. Wrecked 10th March 1879 on the inner bank of the south west entrance to Whangape Harbour New Zealand (2 lost). (Sources Clydebuilt and N L McKellar in his book 'Derby round to Burketown'). Not to be confused with Howard Smith's steamer of the same name, same era
VICTORIA 107gross tons, 69 net. Lbd: 123'6" x 15'5". Paddle Steamer. Built by T Wingate & Company Glasgow. Propulsion: steam 2 cylinder 60 hp paddle. In 1861 lengthened 132 goss tons. Lbd: 154'2" x 16'3". Owners - J McLean, Greenock. Raleigh, Locke, Thorpe & Co, Melbourne. 1853 Sydney & Melbourne Steam Packet Co, Sydney. 1856 Edye Manning and finally in 1863 Japanese Government, being renamed Nagasaki Maru No 1. Sunk off Wachijojima, Japan 1864
ARGYLE 218 gross tons, 139 net. Lbd: 130'6" x 20'2" x 10'. Iron steamship built by J Fullerton & Co., Paisley as a passenger/cargo vessel. Compounded engine porducing 40 horsepower. Records of ownership obscure however the press of the day stated this vessel was ordered for Cummings, Henry & Co., River Don Tasmania. The official register states a Mr Andrew Lyall of Melbourne as first registered owner. If the press of the day were correct, then she worked the north west coast of Tasmania to Melbourne. Records show she definitely serviced the trade between Melbourne and Port Adelaide, including minor ports within. Considered too small a vessel she was sold in July 1880 to Nipper and See, of the Northern New South Wales notoriety and placed upon the Sydney - northern rivers services. June 25th 1881 she foundered in the Clarence River, New South Wales and subsequentially sold as a wreck
MANCHESTER 271 gross tons, 157 net. Lbd: 139'8" x 19'6" x 11'7". Wooden paddle steamser built at Aberdeen Scotland for R Gardner of Launceston Tasmania with ship's registry at Liverpool, England. Held a 2 cylinder engine producing 90 horsepower. Arrived Melbourne August 1853 reputedly able to carry 118 passengers in two classes and of great speed. Purchased that month and year by W A Gardner, and registered at Launceston. Serviced the Bass Strait trade, taking in Portland Victoria. Attempted to ply the Moreton Bay trade from April 1854 without financial succes and soon withdrawn from the Queensland service. Intention to form a shipping Company with Portland, Melbourne and Tasmania as the key ports of call was mooted during 1854-55 via some connection amongst W A Gardner and R Wendelstadt of Melbourne, who owned the vessel as from 1855. The proposed company didn't eventuate and the vessel was sold to interests based at Calcutta India in April 1956. No further trace of this ship since known
HILLMEADS 206 gross tons, 84 net. Lbd:126'4" x 27'5" x 9'2". Wooden twin screw steamship 2 compounded engines producing 28 nhp. Built as a passenger-cargo vessel by E Pritchard at Jervis Bay New South Wales for the Numba Steam Shipping Co Ltd. Worked the trade from Sydney to Moruya, Bawleys Head and and Batemans Bay carrying passengers and timber. Sold 15th October 1908, Ship and Company for 4,500 pounds to the Illawarra & South Coast S N Co., Sydney. 1916 sold to Launceston Tasmania interests (possibly New Zealand owners who registered her at Launceston) and finally of the Western District Timber Co Pty Ltd of Geelong. Scuttled July 18th 1937 off Port Phillip Heads, Victoria although another reliable source claims she was still in active service out of Tasmania effective 1956. Possibly scuttled July 18th 1957


Ed Ed Ed Ed
ROWITTA
1909-
SORRENTO
New Norfolk 1956
Advert Postcard
SORRENTO postcards personal collection
SORRENTO Built by Purdon & Featherstone, Battery Point, Hobart, Tasmania, originally as the Rowitta in 1909. Length, 103ft. 5in. Breadth, 20ft. 5in. Depth, 7ft. 7in. 121 gross tons. After conversion renamed Sorrento. Later renamed Tarkarri, and then Speculant. Little else known except currently preserved as an exhibit at the Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum at Warrnambool, Victoria


A J ELLERKER, Melbourne A G McCombe, Melbourne
Joseph Lukey, Melbourne
Ed Ed Ed Ed
GLENELG
1875-1900
QUEENSCLIFFE
1876-1901+
ARGYLE
1876-1915
WHITE SWAN
1854-62
GLENELG image (a23991) courtesy State Library Victoria
GLENELG 218 gross tons, 558 net. Lbd: 135'8" x 21'1" x 11'3". Iron twin screw steamship built by Aitken & Mansel, Glasgow for Thomas Elder & Robert B Smith, registered Port Adelaide. Twin compounded engines producing 80 horsepower. Held distinction of being the first 'southbound' ship to pass through the new Suez Canal on May 24th, 1875. Designed more as a tug - passenger tender vessel with cargo capacity, she worked out of Port Adelaide. Later worked the St Vincents Gulf. 1880 tonnage adjusted to read 210 gross and 76 net. Sold July 1881 to William Wells. Sold April 1882 to Thomas Hesselton, Sydney under whom she made a run to New Zealand for a cargo of salvaged railway equipment. Sold July 1882 to the Port Jackson Steamship Co Ltd., Sydney and employed as a Manly ferry. From January until end of March she was chartered to W Collins, Brisbane and placed upon the Brisbane - Bundaberg run. November 1891 sold to E T Miles & Partners, Hobart and placed upon the Hobart - Strahan run, at times extending from Stahan to Melbourne. At some stage she was sold to T A Reynolds or Reynolds was the active 'signature' partner of E T Miles when sold September 1896 to the Union SS Co, New Zealand, along with with T A Reynolds, Hobart fleet. Continued her Tasmanian services under her new owners until 1898 when sold to A Ellerker, Melbourne. Here she was placed upon the Gippsland Lakes service - Melbourne. March 25th 1900 foundered and sank in Bass Strait, approximately 40 miles west of Lakes Entrance, Victoria en route for Melbourne. A loss of 31 souls, including all passengers, with only three survivors
QUEENSCLIFFE To be updated
ARGYLE 159 gross tons, 125 net. Lbd: 114'3" x 20' x 7'3". Wooden steamship built by H McQuarrie & J McCallum, Mechanics Bay Auckland New Zealand for A McGregor of Auckland. 3 masted schooner rigged vessel that held a compounded engine producing 45 horsepower. First owner went on to create the 'Northern Steamship Co Ltd' in 1881. Listed as a passenger-cargo vessel. Sold 1897 to A J Ellerker, Melbourne who placed her on the Gippsland Lakes service. Sold July 1898 to A W Sandford, Port Adelaide who placed her on the South-east service of South Australia. Sold 1900 to H Weir & Partners who were associated with the West Coast Shipping Co Ltd of South Australia circa 1906. Employed on the South Australian West coast until demolished by March 1915 at Port Adelaide
WHITE SWAN 322 gross tons, 198 net. Lbd: 145'4" x 22'1" x 13'2". Iron steamship of 2 cylinders direct acting and built as a passenger - cargo vessel by William Simmond & Co., Whiteinch for unknown owners. As at February 1861 owned by A G McCombe (Melbourne). August 1861 owned by Joseph Lukey (Melbourne). McMeckan, Blackwood & Co., managed this vessel for passenger services between Melbourne and Adelaide up to at least April 1858 when she was transferred to the trans-tasman run. Captain McLean held helm when she was engaged in a mail service between Auckland and Wellington. Wrecked off Flat Point, New Zealand, 28th June 1862

James BELL & Co, Melbourne
BELL Steamships, Melbourne
George T BELL, Melbourne James BELL & Co, Melbourne
BELL Steamships, Melbourne
Ed Ed Ed Ed
JULIA PERCY
1876-1910
MUSGRAVE
1883-1930
....................
WAR SPRAY
1919-44
JULIA PERCY image & MUSGRAVE image as the 'Fiona' courtesy State Library Queensland
JULIA PERCY 496 gross tons, 282 net. Lbd: 197' x 24'2" x 13'. Iron steamship built by T Wingate & Co., Glasgow as the Julia Percyfor the partnetship of C V Robinson, J Lilly and J Marshall, Melbourne. January 1877 of the Warrnambool Steam Navigation Co., Warrnambool which later reformed as the Western S N Co., Melbourne Victoria. Worked the western Victorian seaports as a passenger - cargo vessel until the railway opened up in stiff competition and she was sold to Howard Smith & Sons Ltd., Melbourne in October 1886. Reputedly lengthened in 1877 to be of 580 gross tons, 335 net and Lbd: 219' x 24'2" x 13'. She worked the Queensland service until sold in June 1903 to G T Bell who placed her on the Western Australian service on that state's official mail run as contracted to that owner. May 25th 1905 she struck the jetty piles and sunk at Dongarra, Western Australia. Raised and sent to Fremantle for repairs she was soon after sold in 1906 to the Melbourne Steamship Co Ltd., Melbourne who then renamed her Leeuwin. They gained the Western Australian Government's passenger & mail contract to the port of Eucla and placed her on that service for the duration. Later placed upon the Eden (New South Wales) - Melbourne - Tasmanian ports run only to be found economically unviable, and she was hulked in 1910. Demolished 1934
MUSGRAVE 904 gross tons, 467 net. Lbd: 211'1" x 30'2" x 15'4". Built by J Reid & Co Port Glasgow as the Fiona for Colonial Sugar Refining Co., Sydney New South Wales. Sold 1908 W Collins & Sons Ltd, Brisbane and renamed Musgrave. March 1910 owned by Musgrave Steamship Co Ltd., a subsidiary of W Collins & Sons Ltd. Worked the Gulf of Carpentaria on a mail service as chartered by AUSN Co. 1920 sold to George T Bell, Melbourne. 1923 owned by William. J. Gibson, Melbourne. 1930 R. Kennedy & Sons Pty., Melbourne. Scrapped - 1930 hull reported scuttled in Storm Bay, near Leura

WAR SPRAY 3,121 gross tons. Lb: 331' x 46'8". Single screw. Triple expansion engine. 11.5 knots. Built by R Thompson & Sons Ltd, Bridge Dockyard, Sunderland as War Spray for the British Shipping Controller. Completed June 1918. Shipping Controller, managers G.B.Harland & Co. 1919 owned by R W J Sutherland & Co, Cardiff. 1920 owned by General Maritime Trust Ltd, London. 1922 owned by James Bell & Co, Melbourne. 1925 owned/transferred to Bell Steamships Ltd, Melbourne. 1929 owned by H C Sleigh, Melbourne. 1929 owned by Hamane Shoten KK, Tarumi, Japan and renamed Tamahine Maru. 5th June 1944 torpedoed and sunk by USS SHARK at 18.40N 140.35E


A CAIRNS & Partners, Melbourne Peter Le Page, Melbourne George Adams (Later of Tattersall fame)
Ed Ed Ed
FETTERCAIRN
1851-55+
ANT
1854-66
GOVERNOR BLACKALL
1871-1910
FETTERCAIRN 210 gross tons, 195 net. Lbd: 114'4" x 22'1" x 14'1". Wooden steamship built by Calman & Martin, Dundee Scotland for unknown owners registered at Dundee. February 1853 made her first appearance at Geelong, Victoria and purchased by A Cairns & Partners, Melbourne. An auxilliary steamer with a good reputation of speed under sail, she also held a 30 horsepower engine. Worked out of Melbourne to various ports of Victoria, Port Albert included as a passenger/cargo vessel. May 1854 (officially) sold to R Mailler & Partners, Sydney, having already twice journeyed from Sydney to Brisbane, her last trip being in March 1854. Since, spent idle time laid up and probably sold soon after where records state her leaving for Manilla in June 1855. No further details

ANT 121 gross tons, 82 net. 1856 -149 gross tons, 87 net and 1865 -161 gross tons, 87 net with recorded Lbd: 100'8" x 17'8" x 9'2" being the only measurements recorded. Iron single screw steamship, two masts. built by Scott & Co., Scotland. Engines: 30 horsepower, 2 cylinder inverted. Designed to carry a limited number of passengers. Owners: 1854 - Samuel Martin & Others, Belfast. April 1955 arrived Australia, Port Phillip Victoria reputedly as the first ship to sail direct from Ireland to Port Phillip. Owners intention was sale or service and in February (or thereabouts) Worked the Hobart - Launceston trade until 1856 sold to T. Thompson, Hobart. Placed upon various Tasmanian east coast ports until owner went bankrupt in September 1856 and eventually sold in May 1857 to Peter Le Page, Melbourne. October 1857 sold to George Ormerod, & Co. Guichen Bay, (South Australia) and traded the south-east coast of that state to Port Adelaide. February 1864 owned by J Fowler. July 1865 owned by Gippsland Steam Navigation Co. Wrecked 12 July 1866, in heavy fog on a rock three miles west by north of Barwon Heads when inbound from Tasmania. Captain found as negligent in placing reliance on defective compasses (source: Victorian Heritage Register )
GOVERNOR BLACKALL 487 gross tons. Lbd: 194'4" x 23'8" x 15'6". Iron steamship, 2 masts schooner rigged built by Mort's Dock & Engineering Co., Balmain Sydney. Originally ordered by the Queensland Government, however contract cancelled and purchased in 1872 by ASN Co. 1887 of AUSN Co. Sold June 1888 to North Illawarra Coal Mining Co. September 1890 owned by Moore & Austin. December 1896 G Adams who used this vessel to sail outside the three mile limit in order to conduct, legally, his lottery. December 1898 W J Featherstone. Hulked Sydney December 1910 and scuttled 16th July 1931 off Sydney Heads


Victoria S N Co, Melbourne as owned by Broadfoot, Bonnar & Co H Glass, Melbourne
Ed Ed Ed Ed
GIPSY
1842-56
....................
MARION
1854-62
....................
GIPSY image personal collection
GIPSY 75 gross tons, 43 burthen. Lbd: 80'4" x 15'7" x 8'4". Wooden paddle steamship built by Chowne, Thompson & Chowne at Pyrmont, Sydney for the Tamar S N Co., Launceston. Held a 35 horsepower engine taken from the paddle steamer Maitland and installed by William Bourne, Sydney. Designed as a passenger tender and tug for use upon the Tamar River, Tasmania, even carrying passengers from Sydney to Launceston on her maiden voyage. 1847 owned by F A Ducroz, unknown registration. March 1852 owned by Gilmore & Henty, Melbourne. 1853 owned by the Victoria S N Co, Melbourne as owned by Broadfoot, Bonnar & Co. Used upon Hobsons Bay to Queens Wharf, Melbourne as a passenger/cargo tender until sold in September 1855 to J C Williamson, Sydney. Here then she was used as a passenger/cargo vessel servicing the Sydney - Manning River trade. 24th April 1856 wrecked on the Manning River bar. Note: sometimes known as 'Gipsey' and "Gipsay"

MARION 177 gross tons, 133 net. Lbd: 114'2" x 19'6" x 10'0". Built at Whiteinch, Glasgow as an Iron passenger steamship for Messers Rae, Kerr & others all of Hobart Tasmania. At the time she held a 2 cylinder engine producing 30 horsepower and remained under London registry. Employed on the Hobart - Melbourne trade, gaining little popularity and was sold June 1857 to H Glass, Melbourne and there registered. Her dimensions were altered as 197 gross tons and 124 net. Placed upon the Warrnambool-Port Fairy service until sold in October 1857 to the South Australian syndicate of Joseph Stilling, J R H Ward, Joseph Darwent and unknown others, registered Port Adelaide. Here she became the first 'regular' passenger steamship to ply the Port Adelaide - Port Lincoln - Port Augusta route. July 11th 1862 wrecked at Marion Bay, Southern Yorke peninsular, South Australia. Note : that bay was named after another vessel, an immigrant ship of the same name that also foundered, saw it's passengers land ashore at that bay



FOWLER & Partners, Melbourne,
possibly forerunners to the Gippsland S N Co
Ed Ed Ed Ed
MAID OF THE YARRA
1854-65
ANT
1854-66
....................
....................
No images availale
MAID OF THE YARRA 116 gross tons, 82 net. Lbd: 100'4" x 18'0" x 9'0". Iron steamship built by J Robson at Blackwall in County Durham England for unknown owners who employed her as a self powered 'lighter' of 20 horsepower, on Port Phillip Bay, Melbourne. Soon sold in February 1855 to W Brown Jnr., Launceston, Tasmania and fitted with passenger accomodation. Employed on the Melbourne - Launceston service as well as some localised work along the Tamar River. Sold September 1857 to W H Smith & Partners, Melbourne and worked a variety of routes including the Port Albert, Victoria trade. October 1859 sold to Fowler & Partners, Melbourne who kept her on the Port Albert trade as well as occassional runs to the Gippsland Lakes. Short service saw her sold December same year, 1859 to Joseph Darwent, Port Adelaide where she was employed on the South Australian Gulfs' routes of Port Elliot and Wallaroo. Sold July 1862 to unknown owners in New Zealand and wrecked March 1865 at Hokitika, New Zealand
ANT 121 gross tons, 82 net. 1856 149 gross tons, 87net and 1865 161 gross tons, 87 net with recorded Lbd: 100'8" x 17'8" x 9'2" being the only measurements recorded. Iron single screw steamship, two masts. built Scott & Co Scotland. Engines: 30 horsepower., 2 cylinder inverted. Designed to carry a limited number of passengers. Owners: 1854 - Samuel Martin & Others, Belfast. April 1955 arrived Australia, Port Phillip Victoria reputedly as the first ship to sail direct from Ireland to Port Phillip. Owners intention was sale or service and in February (or thereabouts) Worked the Hobart - Launceston trade until 1856 sold to T. Thompson, Hobart. Placed upon various Tasmanian east coast ports until owner went bankrupt in September 1856 and eventually sold in May 1857 to Peter Le Page, Melbourne. October 1857 sold to George Ormerod, & Co. Guichen Bay, (South Australia) and traded the south-east coast of that state to Port Adelaide. February 1864 owned by J Fowler. July 1865 owned by Gippsland Steam Navigation Co. Wrecked 12 July 1866, in heavy fog on a rock three miles west by north of Barwon Heads when inbound from Tasmania. Captain found as negligent in placing reliance on defective compasses (source: Victorian Heritage Register )




J Anderson & others, Melbourne A A Broadfoot & partners, Melbourne
A Dawson, Melbourne
Ed Ed Ed Ed
SHANDON
1839-1864+
....................
PHOENIX
1842-55
....................
No images available
SHANDON 186 gross tons, 115 net. Lbd: 134'9" x 16'5" x 10'9". Wooden paddle steamer built by Robert Napier & Co., Glasgow for City of Glasgow Steam Packet Co., Glasgow. Of 80 horsepower. 1851 D Hutcheson & Co, Glasgow. 1853 J Anderson & others, Melbourne. 1859 sent to China for sale. Owners unknown, R Parsons states last mention known was in 1864 (R Parson's 'Coastal Passenger Ships")

PHOENIX 240 gross tons, 400 burthen. Lbd: 143'9" x 21'6" x 15'7". Wooden paddle steamer built by Scotts at Greenock, Glasgow for the Cape of Good Hope S N Co, Capetown South Africa. Of 150 horsepower. 1845 Phoenix Steam Navigation Co (William Billingsley), Cape Town. Arrived Melbourne December 22nd 1852. 1853 A A Broadfoot & partners, (of both Melbourne & Adelaide) and registered at Melbourne. Placed, early 1853 on the Melbourne - Adelaide service, being capable of carrying 44 passengers in two classes. Found uneconomical and laid up in June 1853. 1855 A Dawson, Melbourne. 1855 Robert Towns & Co, Sydney who had her overhauled for a Sydney - Singapore service connecting passengers and mail with the English 'mail' steamers at that terminus. Status: Wrecked - 8th July 1855 possibly in Torres Strait, Australia on her first voyage bound for Singapore


a name="kepler-wcowper">
J F Tully. - J R Miller. - C Petersen
All of either Victoria or Tasmania
W Cowper & Partners (likely were E Walsh, T May )
Victoria
Ed Ed Ed Ed
AVON
1867-91
....................
MURIEL
1881-1931
KEPLER
1886-1910
No images available
AVON 110 gross tons, 72 net. Lbd: 100'3" x 18'2" x 6'8". Iron paddle steamer rigged as a 2 masted schooner equiped with 2 diagonal oscillating engines of 30 horsepower, Built by T Wingate of Glasgow, she was reassembled by H J McGee, at Melbourne as a passenger - cargo vessel for the Gippsland Steam Navigation Co., Melbourne and used on their trades until sold in December 1876 to S Tulloch & G M Jackson. April 1885 sold to J F Tully. October 1885 sold to J R Miller. January 1887 owned by C Petersen. March 1887 owned by Bairnsdale Steam Navigation Co Ltd. May 1888 owned by John See. 1888 tonnage declared as 115 gross 83 net. Worked the Northern New South Wales rivers trade until wrecked on the Bellinger River bar when inbound on June 3rd, 1891. Abandoned, later salvaged and rebuilt as a lighter by Foster & Minty, at Balmain Sydney. 1896 Adelaide Steam Ship Co, Adelaide. 1908 Cleghorn, Hopkins & Co, Brisbane. 1956 register closed as "abandoned lower reaches Brisbane River, date unknown."

MURIEL 108 gross tons. Lbd: 91'5" x 18'4" x 7'3". Steamship built by Hodgson & Soulsby, Blyth for owners in Colchester, England. Service speed of 6 knots. Acquired by McIlwraith McEacharn circa 1883. August 1889 Registered Melbourne Charles Douglas & Partners. December 1890 W Cowper & Partners. August 1894 Adelaide Steamship Co. Engaged in Queensland port trades, as likely a tender to the larger vessels where practible. Sold 1926 to Hayles Magnetic Island pty Ltd., Queensland and register officially closed 1931 after she had been stripped and beached at Townsville
KEPLER 64 gross tons. Lbd: 91' x 18'3" x 5'8". Wooden steamship built by M Erling, Footscray Victoria for J J White of Melbourne. 1890 D Munro & Co Ltd. 1895 E Walsh, T May & W Cowper. Nov 1896 E F Millar, Fremantle. 1909 Adelaide Steamship Co. As steam launch-cargo vessel, sank at her moorings in Hopetoun Harbour West Australia August 8th 1910


C V Robinson & Partners, Melbourne
Ed Ed Ed Ed
OTWAY
1872-1913
HELEN MACGREGOR
1866-75
GAZELLE
1852-88
ROB ROY
1867-1901
NYMBOIDA as the OTWAY (b49655) image courtesy State Library Victoria
OTWAY 446 gross tons, 271 net. Lbd: 180' x 25' x 12'. Iron steamship of 93 horsepower, 2 masts as built Blackwood & Gordon, Glasgow for the Warrnambool Steam Packet Co, Melbourne. Designed as a passenger vessel for their Melbourne - Western Districts of Victoria run, carrying the name Otway. May 1878 C V Robinson & Partners, Melbourne. November 1878 Lilly & Marshall, whom together with Anderson, became the Western Australian Shipping Company. That concern folded selling all to Adelaide Steamship Co in May 1883. Refitted 1883 to 203' x 25'2" x 12' with tonnage 563 gross. 1892 sold to A Jouve & Co, Noumea. June 1897 E F Knoblauch, reg Sydney. October 1897 sold to Illawarra S N Co Ltd., Sydney and employed as cargo only vessel. June 1901 sold to North coast S N Co and in August renamed Nymbodia. Hulked 1913 and scrapped 1930
HELEN MACGREGOR 168 gross tons, 115 net. Lbd: 123'7" x 20' x 9'3'. Iron steamship rigged as a two masted schooner with passenger capacity of 28. Capable of 40 horsepower. Built by T Wingate & Co., Whiteinch Glasgow for C V Robinson, registered Melbourne. Designed for the Bass Strait trade Launceston - Melbourne. May 1867 acquired by Clarence & New England S N Co. September 1867 lengthened to be 152'6" x 20'6" x 9'1" at 251 gross tons. T Fisher listed as owner from October 1867 until Clarence & New England S N Co took ownership again in September 1873. 12th March 1875 wrecked on the Clarence River bar with a loss of 8 souls
GAZELLE 79 gross tons, 47 net. Lbd: 82' x 15'2" x 7'8". Iron steamship built by John Horn, Waterford England in 1852 and rebuilt by Anderson & Grubbs at Lytellton new Zealand during 1867. From the onset she was owned by A G Robinson of Melbourne although registered in London. In 1854 she was employed as a ferry so to speak operating between Williamstown and Melbourne, no great distance in any locals' eyes. (Especially mine). Also owned during that year of 1854 since A G Robinson by F E Liardet under whom the ferry service most likely took effect. A street in Melbourne carries the Liardet surname. 1856 saw ownership of M L Goodwin, registered Launceston Tasmania. He employed her on the passenger trade between Launceston and Georgetown until 1860 when sold to J Lilly and C V Robinson, both of the Western districts of Victoria. Likely serviced the coastal ports south- west of Victoria to Melbourne, as was their domain until September 1861 when sold to J T Cockshott, Melbourne. From February 1862 until April 1879 she worked the New Zealand coastal trade under unknown New Zealand ownership. During that time she was rebuilt as per above. April 1879 owned by R Bright, of Melbourne and so registered there. One month later owned by W J Wischer and in March 1884 owned by H F Walker. Spending her last ten years plying the coast of Victoria under the ownership of the last three mentioned, she eventually sank at Apollo Bay Victoria on 25th February 1888
ROB ROY 309 gross tons, 200 net. Lbd: 148'2" X 21'5" X 15'1". Iron steamship built by Thomas Wingate & Co, Whiteinch for C V Robinson, Launceston Tasmania and J Lilley of Melbourne with the ship being registered at Melbourne. 2 cylinder engine producing 50hp. Service speed of 9 knots. Passenger capacity of 60 in two classes. November 1872 refitted becoming 168' x 21'5" x 15'1" with tonnage being 393 gross and 267 net. Serviced the Melbourne - Launceston trade until (unknown date) she was placed upon the Western districts of Victoria trade in a lively arena of competition. By 1877 the western Steam Navigation Company held sway over all other competitiors and this vessel changed over to the Western Australian coastal services. By November 1878 J Lilley & Marshall were the registered owners. Stranded at Cossack, Western Australia. February 1882 registration cancelled, towed to Melbourne for repairs. Re-registered Melbourne for Lilley & Marshall September 1882 until sold to Adelaide Steamship Co May 1883. Under this ownership, she saw service upon the Western Australia coast as well as upon the South Australia gulf region and at times along the Queensland coast. Passenger capacity varied, up to 100 according to records. Hulked 1901, isolated at Melbourne until fully scrapped 1910


Thomas Norton, Melbourne
Ed Ed Ed Ed
ADA
1853-61
PRINCE ALBERT
1852-63+
GLASGOW CITIZEN
1854-62
MAITLAND
1837-55
GLASGOW CITIZEN image (a25099) courtesy State Library Victoria
ADA 102 gross tons, 52 net. Lbd: 86'4" x 17'4" x 19'3". Iron hulled paddlewheel steamship built at South Shields for J Brown, Glasgow. Rigged as a 2 masted schooner and capable of 40 horsepower. Als o described as a Tug. 1852 owned by Lawrence & Co, Glasgow. September 1854 owned by G W Cole in partnership with W G Bruce and Thomas Norton, vessel register Melbourne. August 1857 owned outright by G W Cole. Believed in the trade between Melbourne - Port Albert during Melbourne ownership period. Possibly September 1857 sold to Frederick Greer of Dunedin New Zealand. 12 January 1861 wrecked upon the bar at Clutha River
PRINCE ALBERT 270 gross tons, 125 net. Lb: 132'9" x 18'9". Iron paddle steamer built by Smith & Rodger Govan, Galsgow for Lewis Potter, Glasgow. 1853 James Rae, Melbourne. 1853 R & S Raleigh, Melbourne. 1856 T Norton. 1860 G W Cole, Melbourne. 1860 F Greer, Dunedin New Zealand. 1863 John Lamont, Hong Kong. 1863 unknown owners, records end, No further details
GLASGOW CITIZEN 173 gross tons. Lbd: 156'9" x 16'3" x 8'3". Paddle steamer, built on the Clyde, 1852. A popular ferry between Geelong and Melbourne. Known as The Citizen, she was renamed that at an unknown date. Owner History: J Barr & R Little & Co, Greenock. 1854 Geelong Steam Navigation Co, Geelong. 1861 sold by auction toT Woodhouse, Melbourne. T Norton, Melbourne. On 15 October 1862, left for Dunedin loaded with passengers for the New Zealand goldfields discovered there at Otago, but was not seen again
MAITLAND 140 gross tons, 103 net. Lbd: 103'2" x 15'6" x 8'3". Wooden paddle steamship of passenger capacity as built by John Russell at Darling Harbour, Sydney for Edye Manning of Sydney in 1837. Of 40 horsepower but later replaced with 60 horsepower machinery in 1841. Became the Illawarra Steam Packet Company's first vessel in 1839. Of the General S N Co late 1839 upon the merger of Illawarra S P Co and the Brisbane Water S N Co. December 1845 owned by A C James & Others. November 1847 of the Hunter River S N Co. December 1850 owned by G W Cole & Partners (Messers Bruce & Norton) and was employed as a tug, tender and ferry on the Yarra River. Also serviced Geelong 1850-51 until 1852. Burnt out upon the Yarra river, Melbourne November 27th 1855. Raised, rebuilt and renamed Samson. Became a total loss at Hokitika, New Zealand 29 September 1865


Western District Steam Ship Co Ltd., Melbourne C Crosby / C Crosby & Partners, Melbourne
Ed Ed Ed Ed
EUMERALLA
1908-35
....................
BARRIER
1889-1934
COOLGARDIE
1881-1922
EUMERALLA image courtesy of State Library Victoria
EUMERALLA 906 gross tons, 489 net. Lbd: 190' x 30'1" x 12'5". Steel steamship built by Scott of Kinghorn Ltd, Kinghorn for the Western District Steam Ship Co Ltd., Melbourne. This concern may have been a subsidiary of Howard Smith Ltd, at least held some connection. Powered by a triple expansion engine producing 97 horsepower and of 2 single ended boilers, coal fired. Employed on the Western districts of Victora - Melbourne in passenger-cargo capacity. World War 1 disrupted trade and she spent much time 'liad up'. 1920 owned by Australian Steamships Pty Ltd (Howard Smith). 1928 again laid up, 1934 sold to Young & Co., Sydney who probably acted as agents for Asian interests when she was renamed Mow Li No. 2 in 1934-5. Under this name she sunk at Tinghai on the 12th July 1935

BARRIER 2,036 gross tons, 1,290 net. Lbd: 282' x 38' x 18'4". Built by S P Austin Sunderland for the Adelaide Steamship Co. Worked as a cargo vessel primarlly out of Port Pirie. 1915 Sold to C Crosby, Melbourne, and resold almost immediately to Japanese interests renamed Mogami Maru. Mid April 1934 destroyed by fire whilst transporting a cargo of kerosine
COOLGARDIE 2,542 gross tons, 1,653 net. Lbd: 329'1" x 38'3" x 26'. Iron steamship built as a passenger-cargo vessel by R Dixon & Co., Middlesborough England as the Bothwell Castle for the Castle Steam Ship Co. (T Skinner, London). Compounded engine producing 304 horsepower. Acquired by this concern 1896 yet renamed much later, in May 1899. Serviced the West Australian run from the eastern seaboard ports of Australia. 1913 December sold to C Crosby & Partners. 1916 W J Wardle. 1920 Eastern Shipping Agents Ltd. September 1922 to Italian interests for demolition at Genoa


VICTORIA & TASMANIA
Steam Navigation Co., Melbourne
G A Carpenter, Melbourne
Ed Ed Ed Ed
TASMANIA
1852-56+
....................
ETHEL JACKSON
1876-1913
WYRALLAH
1887-1924
WYRALLAH image (b38415) courtesy State Library Victoria
TASMANIA 452 gross tons: 167'7" x 24' x 17'2". Wooden steamship built by B Lapham at Medford Massachusetts, USA for unknown owners registered at Boston and named the Rajah Wallie. Held a 250 ihp engine. Arrived Australian shores from Batavia upon the advent of knowledge of the goldrushes and has the distinction of being the first American owned steamship to arrive at Port Phillip Victoria and since, becoming the first regular steamer between Melbourne and Hobart. She was purchased April 1853 by this concern for that trade as a passenger vessel of 'elegent accomodation'. She became known as 'the wooden Tasmania' to differentiate her from iron hulled vessel owned by the Tasmanian S N Co., Hobart bearing the same name and operating in the same era. Sold October 1854 to Roops & Brown, Hobart. Constant problems with her machinery caused her a poor competitor in the trade and, in 1856 was despatched overseas for sale and sold to London based purchasers. Fate since unknown

ETHEL JACKSON 115 gross tons. Paddle steamer, 1897 purchased by W H Smith Ltd, Melbourne. 1905 sold to Scott & Young of Melbourne. 1913 converted to hulk at Townsville, 1914 re-purchased, 1918 scrapped
WYRALLAH (1) 302 gross tons, 205 net. Lbd: 140' x 22'3" x 13'2". Iron twin screw steamship built at Mort's Dock & Engineering Co., Balmain Sydney for Bruce B Nicoll, registered Sydney. Twin compounded engines producing 45 horsepower as coal fired. Passenger cargo status. October 1891 acquired by North Coast S N Co for use along their New South Wales northern rivers trade. Sold April 1900 to G A Carpenter of Melbourne. September 1900 acquired by Gippsland Steamers Pty Ltd. In her career she was chartered out to (probably) the AUSN Co running the mail service between Albany and Esperance on the West coast and later the mainland to Noumea, New Caledonia on one occassion. Under Gippsland steamers she met her demise when sunk in a collision with the Dilkera during a squall off Point Nepean Victoria



TOP of PAGE HOME!


2008-09 ©John E Hoskin/Flotilla Australia
All Rights Reserved